Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Finally started in on a gun, I think I’ve had the paint for over a year.

I hit all the plastic parts with Duplicolor plastic adhesion promoter just to hopefully give it some longevity. Then a coat of Army Green as a base.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Done! I’m pretty happy with the results.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:00:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I just ordered 6 different colors of alumahyde and like 40 nozzles.

Gonna experiment and see what works in my AO here soon.

Never painted anything before. Not gonna lie. A little nervous.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only thing you should be nervous about is ability to resist the temptation you will develop to paint every firearm you own, your vehicle, etc...
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#12]
@guns762

Ordered...

12 OZ MATTE OD GREEN AEROSOL
12 OZ MATTE EARTH BROWN AEROSOL
12 OZ MATTE COYOTE BROWN AEROSOL
12 OZ MATTE DESERT TAN AEROSOL
12 OZ MATTE MAGPUL FDE AEROSOL
12 OZ MATTE WOLF GRAY AEROSOL

and
4X FAN-STYLE REPLACEMENT NOZZLES 12 PACK  

No black to be had (just the semi gloss). I was gonna try subbing the Wolf Gray in for black. If anyone has any experience painting in a more...."Appalachian" setting, I'd be interested to see what colors you used. Desert Tan is likely to be too light - I may use Magpul FDE as the "base"; as it's never that dry here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@guns762

Ordered...

12 OZ MATTE OD GREEN AEROSOL
12 OZ MATTE EARTH BROWN AEROSOL
12 OZ MATTE COYOTE BROWN AEROSOL
12 OZ MATTE DESERT TAN AEROSOL
12 OZ MATTE MAGPUL FDE AEROSOL
12 OZ MATTE WOLF GRAY AEROSOL

and
4X FAN-STYLE REPLACEMENT NOZZLES 12 PACK  

No black to be had (just the semi gloss). I was gonna try subbing the Wolf Gray in for black. If anyone has any experience painting in a more...."Appalachian" setting, I'd be interested to see what colors you used. Desert Tan is likely to be too light - I may use Magpul FDE as the "base"; as it's never that dry here.
View Quote
Shades that you think are too light...aren't.  Avoid medium to dark shades of any color. Past 15-20 yards, they basically become black to the eye. And black is exactly what you want to avoid.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shades that you think are too light...aren't.  Avoid medium to dark shades of any color. Past 15-20 yards, they basically become black to the eye. And black is exactly what you want to avoid.
View Quote

my intent was to move one shade to the "right" (darker) if that makes sense. Most of the people refinishing things in this thread seem to be from the West, where climates are more Arid, was my rationale. We have desert camo, we had woodland, and we now have multi cam. It made more sense to pick a slightly "darker" color palate than those living in the drier parts of the country.

Are you saying I should stick with Desert as my base light?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I feel this, but I always have trouble adding more than khaki highlights to my guns. My local area here in Alaska is black spruce on top of black spruce, lighter colors stand out to me. But then walk 2mi away and I'm in tall grass fields that dark colors stand out in
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You will do fine. Practice on a piece of gear like a holster or something if you are that nervous.

If you don't like the results, redo it.    I rework areas on my rifles if i see something I'm not wild about.  

Think about the size and spacing of your marks when you start.   You want randomness.   It's hard to not start repeating a pattern with the same size and distances everywhere.    You have to make conscious effort to keep from doing it.  

Students in class do it all the time when we are drawing or painting water.    The space between the waves and reflections is almost exactly the same, and the waves/reflections are all the same thickness and length.  It's just what we humans do.   We can't help it, unless we focus on not doing it.  

I need to get out and paint some new optics.  Hopefully over Easter Weekend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will do fine. Practice on a piece of gear like a holster or something if you are that nervous.

If you don't like the results, redo it.    I rework areas on my rifles if i see something I'm not wild about.  

Think about the size and spacing of your marks when you start.   You want randomness.   It's hard to not start repeating a pattern with the same size and distances everywhere.    You have to make conscious effort to keep from doing it.  

Students in class do it all the time when we are drawing or painting water.    The space between the waves and reflections is almost exactly the same, and the waves/reflections are all the same thickness and length.  It's just what we humans do.   We can't help it, unless we focus on not doing it.  

I need to get out and paint some new optics.  Hopefully over Easter Weekend.

I have such a hard time doing things in random. I figured that out years ago when I was putting stone on the walls in my kitchen. It seems totally backwards that you have to concentrate even harder in order to do things less organized and orderly but it's the truth.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks to this thread, I did this today Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#18]

More pictures please!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#20]

That looks amazing!
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 4:03:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks guys. Now I wanna do a couple more

ETA: I’m going to add more around the mag release button area, the black is too squared looking.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been following this great thread for a long time and I'm finally motivated to try it out.

I haven't noted any special care for BUIS, turrets, mag releases, batter covers, etc. I take it the paint breaks free easily and doesn't bind anything?
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've been following this great thread for a long time and I'm finally motivated to try it out.

I haven't noted any special care for BUIS, turrets, mag releases, batter covers, etc. I take it the paint breaks free easily and doesn't bind anything?
View Quote

Turret or just their windage numbers and triggers is what I make sure to cover. I also cover the buffer tube now after having a stock get really gritty and bound up once as the paint wore off.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#26]
@guns762

I went ahead and tried this on a magazine and a pistol grip I don't care about. The magazine didn't turn out very well, and I am not sure if I am applying the sponge too hard or too soft? Perhaps too much paint on it, or too little? Also, the sponges I got are clearly not the right ones, but just thought I would pick your brain a bit. I'm trying to do a pattern like your's, with DDC, FDE, two tones of gray and a bit of green. Let me know what you think, thanks!

Amatuer Painting Photos
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think that is turning out pretty good.   My advice would be not to press so hard with he gray sponge, and make a few more sponge marks for each color.   You are just a little shy of enough.    The gray marks are also a bit too similar.   Rotate the sponge so the mark isn't the same.

I like your colors and it's a great start.    
View Quote

@guns762 Thank you for the advice. Yea the sponges I had didn't have enough texture when torn or pores so I think I need to get some better supplies. Once I feel comfortable on some magazines, my intention is to do my upper and quad rail, which I am nervous for especially the handguard having so many surface changes obviously. Also, I didn't get Brownell's paint as I just found some stuff at the store. It seems to rub off pretty easy on the pistol grip. Do you let them sit untouched for a day? Do you do anything to cure them? I appreciate this whole guide you've put together, cheers!
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The Alumahyde is a much more durable paint, but it takes a week or so to fully cure depending on humidity, Temps, and thickness of the layers.    The Krylon cures quicker, but yes, at least a day before real use.    You can handle both within a few hours if it's warm outside, but it will not be durable at that time.  

On rubberized grips I've had the Alumahyde rub off over time.  

View Quote

Thanks again, I will get some more practice in and take some pictures!
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Beretta 391 that has synthetic stocks with the grippy areas molded in. Well the grippy material broke down and became gummy and would stick to your hands. Just made the gun not fun to handle. Finally scraped out the goo and isopropyl alcohol dissolved the remnants. While it’s not tacky feeling it was just ugly. So, this thread inspired me to paint. Turned out pretty fair for my first run at it. I decided to avoid the darker greens and just did an oregano to warm up the gray/ khakis. Little bit of dark walnut vs black to break it up a bit. Here is the progression and thanks for the thread info. ETA photo correction

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Realized I over sponged my dark areas so I added dark and sponges a little bit on top.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Made a few changes/ additions. Like it better now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#36]
New Benelli M1 on the left, 2 year old paint job on the old Benelli M1 on the right

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok. I’m on a roll. For the SBR we have a lot of green in my AO.

Looking for suggestions. I like it but feel like it’s missing something

ETA. Criticism is wanted.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Black was a good idea. Added a little more sponge. It’s pretty disruptive and should blend well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/80996/2E468088-0E7E-4220-8AFE-2F3978858426-2406968.jpg

Black was a good idea. Added a little more sponge. It’s pretty disruptive and should blend well.
View Quote

That looks way better! Really good job! I would be thrilled with that!
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the suggestions and ideas!  Great thread OP!
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#44]
My latest one, brand new super duty and aimpoint pro

Attachment Attached File

Got a new magpul stock and painted it to match too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#45]

I f-in' love that scheme. What paints did you use?
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I f-in' love that scheme. What paints did you use?
View Quote

Aerovoe who doesn’t make their military colors anymore
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#47]

My first try at painting a gun.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Love the gun scheme!  Took me a minute to see that’s tape on the optic.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Love the gun scheme!  Took me a minute to see that’s tape on the optic.
View Quote

Thanks!  The tape is that elastic bandage wrap.  Easy to remove, doesn't leave a film behind.

https://www.coastalcountry.com/products/pet-animal/livestock/health-wellness/4-in-easytear-bandage-wrap-in-woodland-camo-anco3840cm-018?_t_q=camo%20wrap&_t_hit.id=Luminos_Storefront_Core_Catalog_CommonProduct/CatalogContent_97fb4cb2-20fc-4493-8e7a-83d9e564085f_en
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top