Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been wanting to do this for a long time and finally did it. I used rustoleum from walmart and the khaki and sand are ridiculously similar in color (easier to tell difference in person though). I got a little repetitive with my sponge , but overall I think it looks good. I went light on darker colors because of how tan most of the desert is this time of year. Lots more green in the winter months.

Used a filter on this one to make it more obvious.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That blends in very well!  Nice work!  I don't think your marks are too repetative.  I like the almost chocolate-chip style look you ended up with.
View Quote

Thanks! I thought it was a little too plain until I took it out to the desert. It does blend well.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#4]
My holster was black and I decided that definitely was not ok. So I broke out the rattle cans and sponges again.  
Overall looks much better
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Another 1st rattle can job on an AR.

Turned out a little lighter than I hoped but it'll do well in the dry times of the year.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Turrible lighting in my garage. Just turrible.

I have a new Tikka T3X and Leupold VX5 waiting to be my next victim...
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Adding a little paint to darken it wouldn't be too hard if you really want it darker.   Spraying the dark diagonal wide stripes before you sponge paint, will create darker areas.    

To make it darker, all  you would need to do is spray the darker stripes over top in a couple areas.   Try not to divide the rifle up into even parts.  We want slight differences.    Once you have the darker colors sprayed, then apply sponges again, remembering not to use too many really light color marks on the dark areas.  Just a few, with more medium marks on the dark and black areas.  

You can see the Light to dark to Light stripe fades on my AR9.   I just put a new Eotech on there this morning.   I'll have to blend the paint with the rest, and I'll do it the same way.  Spray my stripes, then apply sponges again to blend it in to the rest of the composition.
https://i.imgur.com/vEnveSi.jpg

View Quote

Thanks for the tip!
I ended up just adding some more sponging with the green on the light areas.

I used the squint technique to pick spots to break up the profile.
I'll put up a pic when I get home.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#9]
When rattle can painting mags, is it critical to tape off the section of the mag that sits inside the magwell?
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Absolutely.

Tolerances are too close on some....not all, but I usually error on the side of I want all my mags to drop free.  

Magpuls, especially, need taped.  

USGI mags I've gotten away with painting the whole mag.  I wouldn't recommend it.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When rattle can painting mags, is it critical to tape off the section of the mag that sits inside the magwell?

Absolutely.

Tolerances are too close on some....not all, but I usually error on the side of I want all my mags to drop free.  

Magpuls, especially, need taped.  

USGI mags I've gotten away with painting the whole mag.  I wouldn't recommend it.  

Thanks for the insight.  I have no desire to reinvent the wheel as far as what works/doesn’t work.  

Is it the same issue with AK mags?  I have a bunch of Sand AK PMags I purchased in close out, and was thinking about rattle canning them as well.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I taped off two mags to rattle can them id at, but I was Brownelled

My brand new van of FDE Aluma Hyde sprayed a short stream of sticky crap on my mag then died.  So much for a $12 can of spray paint.  Now I have no FDE Aluma Hyde snd I have to sand down the side of the mag.

I’m not very impressed with Brownells $12 can of spray paint, nor their customer service.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My brand new van of FDE Aluma Hyde sprayed a short stream of sticky crap on my mag then died.  So much for a $12 can of spray paint.  Now I have no FDE Aluma Hyde snd I have to sand down the side of the mag.

I’m not very impressed with Brownells $12 can of spray paint, nor their customer service.
View Quote

ETA I too was worried about this when I bought the paint for mine.

Luckily I had no issues.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do this....

Take the nozzle off.  Put a pen tip in the opening of the can and press down.  Make sure the can is pointing down in a trash can and have gloves on.  

It should clear the straw.  Shake it up really well. And then put the nozzle back and try it again.  You may also have to clear the nozzle too, or replace it.  Sometimes if I dont have spares I swap back and fourth.

Mine do that if they sit for too long and I dont shake them well enough.
View Quote

Don't stores also sell replacement nozzles that are usually nice to have for when the inevitably die?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, you’re the man!  Success!  had to use a toothpick inside the nozzle after I cleared the can, but one mag is painted.  The other one has crud on the side that I’ll have to sand down if I want it to look nice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://i.imgflip.com/3iobvt.gif

Luckily I had no issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgflip.com/3iobvt.gif

Luckily I had no issues.

Lol, yes, that gif sums it up nicely.  Since this clogging is apparently not terribly uncommon, you’d think the Brownells “gun tech” I eventually was transferred to would have said what guns762 said.  Nope.  That’s why we have this forum I suppose.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#21]
With Aluma hyde I find it helpful to keep a can of carb cleaner near by, once done spraying a coat I turn can upside down and vent it then I pop the nozzle off and stick it on the can of carb cleaner to blast it clear immediately.  I believe the AH has a shelf life and it's not terribly long.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#23]
So this isn’t a sponge Camo job, but I did repaint the slide in my LCP using what I learned in this thread when I sponge painted a rifle stock.

The starting point:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A very shiny slide, and I have discovered glare from the sun off the stainless nubs that pass for sights makes it even harder to acquire the front sight.

As suggested earlier in this thread, I marked off the slide and then hit it with AlumaHyde II in matte black.

The result:

Attachment Attached File

Solid matte black slide.  I let it cure, and now I’m posted a high visibility white dot (rectangle) on the front sight.

I found even if I never grab a sponge, this thread was invaluable to giving me a push towards painting guns.  And surface prep us your friend.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:18:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Excellent job on the pattern.  
View All Quotes

Thanks, I'm hoping it works out the same way on the gun.

I'm going to paint up my can cannon and probably my scorpion. I also have neat idea for a welding helmet with some ghosted in logo's that I'm going to start on next week. I have a friend with a vinyl plotter that's going to make some stencils.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Here’s my first sponged rifle:

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Damn that looks awesome.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Damn that looks awesome.
View Quote

Thanks. I learned a lot. I didn’t think it was coming together, until it just did.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks. I learned a lot. I didn’t think it was coming together, until it just did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn that looks awesome.

Looks good.  I agree on the process - first sponge camo job I painted, there was a point where it went from “that looks like a preschooler painting” to “now that looks like a camo pattern”.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is the same mental process that students go through with Art projects.. ...there's always that point where you are saying to yourself,  "this looks like shit! I want to quit," and then, persistence takes over and the project magically comes together.  

It's an awesome thing to watch from a human behavior standpoint.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn that looks awesome.

Looks good.  I agree on the process - first sponge camo job I painted, there was a point where it went from “that looks like a preschooler painting” to “now that looks like a camo pattern”.

This is the same mental process that students go through with Art projects.. ...there's always that point where you are saying to yourself,  "this looks like shit! I want to quit," and then, persistence takes over and the project magically comes together.  

It's an awesome thing to watch from a human behavior standpoint.  

It’s great we have an outstanding art teacher here on Arfcom to teach us art!  
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Here’s a side question about Aluma Hyde:

I learned about Aluma Hyde from this thread.  I tried some out, and despite a few hiccups learning about nozzle clog, the results have been excellent.  This stuff seems to be a step up in durability over basic Krylon/Rustoleum paints.

Reading the instructions, Brownells basically advises on about 30 minutes after the first diary for touch ups or additional coats, and after this window to wait for a full cure before more Aluma Hyde.

Fir folks using this stuff, when doing sponge painting do you try to do everything fast, or do you wait for cure between every different color?  Or is Brownells bring too conservative on the window?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Great job! That’s a nice collection!

So rattle can painting a stock pack works?  Just plain Krylon/Rustoleum, or do you use a special paint?
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I figured I’d give this a try. Used a P250 because if I mess it up, oh well. Combo of some Rustoleum and Krylon paints.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice job!
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks.  My wife saw it and said “Don’t touch any of my guns.” Hehe...I guess it’s not for everyone.   I’ve had to fight the temptation to go shoot it. Should probably let it cure for a few days.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Color combination on that is awesome!  Excellent work!
View Quote

Thank for sharing your technique.

Here are the colors I used

I was attempting to match these guys

Link Posted: 7/9/2020 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#45]
1st attempt at sponge camo. I'm impressed with the finished product.
Excuse the horrible pics/lighting.

Base coat

Secondary color

First sponge pass

Final product
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

First attempt using op’s method. I’m pretty happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 7:33:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top