Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2017 8:50:54 PM EDT
Not sure if this is the right forum, but for a rattle can paint job, is Rustoleum better than Krylon or the reverse.  I know that paint is paint, but does one have better wear or lay down during spraying?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Paint sniffers hang out over here.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Krylon has been better than Rustoleum in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can get ahold of Diamond Vogal or Cardinal. Those two are better than either krylon or rustosleum.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I've used Rustoleum 2x coverage camo with good results; I think Krylon is about the same quality. Recently, however, I've started using Aervoe's camo/military paint line and I highly recommend it. I like the range of colors available from Aervoe compared to Rustoleum/Krylon and I think the quality is easily equal, if not superior. The only downside to Aervoe is that it can be difficult to find locally; I had to order from Brownells because no one seems to carry it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Aervoe is better paint than krylon/ rustoleum.  DSG is a good source for it
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:34:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aervoe is better paint than krylon/ rustoleum.  DSG is a good source for it
View Quote
I have never heard of that brand, but will look into it...

My wife ordered a Rustoleum 4 pack for me off of Amazon, we have prime shipping, so it is easy and cheap to get here.  I will give this a try.

There is a Youtube video of a guy painting his "$5000" AR, while he appears to be bragging about painting is $5000 AR more than showing how he painted it, he actually does a nice job.  

I am planning to paint my PSA truck gun, there are a number of approaches I have seen, one is to do a detailed, clean job with purchased stickers and the other is do like I have done in the past with hunting stuff, paint and then use leaves and stuff in the yard as stencils.  

One of the best I have seen is one guy wrapped his AR in hobby twine, the hemp (lack of a better word) kind and that came out real nice, looked like sticks when he was done.  

I am thinking about getting Frog tape and taping up a bunch on a 12" x 12" glass plate and random cutting with an X-Acto knife and making my own shapes,  not sure yet.  My favorite, but is not practical, is the Montactical Reptile looking camo....would look great if I was shooting with a bunch of snakes!!!

Thanks for the replies.

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 5:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Aervoe is what you seek.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:50:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I used Rustoleum.  I painted the entire rifle tan and then striped it with black, green and brown.  It ain't pretty, but it breaks up the outline and that's all I was looking for.  I used it hard for 5 days at an MVT class and there is some heavy wear at the cheekweld point and under the mag release button.  The good thing is that I can hit those spots with more paint.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been happy with Rustoleum.  It really depends on what your expectations are though.  A rattle can paint job isn't going to be show car quality, and will wear a bit with time on the high spots.  IMHO that actually improves the camo.

The nicer finishes that are baked on are going to be more durable if you are looking for something that won't wear as much.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Aervoe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top