Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2017 10:04:41 AM EDT
Does anybody have experience with Cerakote?  Is it worthwhile?  What are the drawbacks and advantages? Are there  better options?   Would I be better off with good old CLP?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:58:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you asking if Cerakote is a good dry lube?

Or protection from rust/corrosion?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:06:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you asking if Cerakote is a good dry lube?

Or protection from rust/corrosion?
View Quote
Corrosion protection.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
It is not any better than anodizing, it works good if the rifle you want to build is not the color you want and it is durable, but there are other options out there as well that don't require you to send it off.

Are you looking to change colors or finish an unfinished receiver set?

What is it that you are trying to accomplish, Cerakote is a good durable finish and it available in quite a few different colors.

If you have an upper and lower that is already anodized, there is no reason to Cerakote unless you want to change the color.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:44:07 AM EDT
[#4]
It's "TO"

You got it wrong twice. 
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It is not any better than anodizing, it works good if the rifle you want to build is not the color you want and it is durable, but there are other options out there as well that don't require you to send it off.

Are you looking to change colors or finish an unfinished receiver set?

What is it that you are trying to accomplish, Cerakote is a good durable finish and it available in quite a few different colors.

If you have an upper and lower that is already anodized, there is no reason to Cerakote unless you want to change the color.
View Quote
In another thread someone had mentioned it  as being good protection against corrosion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:39:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's "TO"

You got it wrong twice. 
View Quote
What the hell are you talking about?

ETA::disregard, I see what you are talking about now!

Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:40:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In another thread someone had mentioned it  as being good protection against corrosion.
View Quote
So is anodizing, that is why aluminum parts are anodized...

You keep asking questions, have you even started buying any parts yet?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:11:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I Cerakote my own stuff using the air cure formula and it works great!

The air cure stuff is still pretty damn durable, way better than spray paint in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So is anodizing, that is why aluminum parts are anodized...

You keep asking questions, have you even started buying any parts yet?
View Quote
Yes, almost done actually.  Isn't information the point of sites like this?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll chime in, and acknowledge my bias being a Cerakote applicator. The Cerakote will give an added layer of protection, beyond anodizing. A good Cerakote application will leave the anodizing intact, it is not necessary to remove it. The Cerakote provides scratch and impact resistance as well. Its flexible and will not crack. The anodizing will provide corrosion resistance for sure, but only as long as its intact and it comes off a lot easier than Cerakote. Put an anodized part, and Cerakoted part in a blast cabinet and the difference is clear. Its takes much longer to remove the Cerakote. The only down side is price.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll chime in, and acknowledge my bias being a Cerakote applicator. The Cerakote will give an added layer of protection, beyond anodizing. A good Cerakote application will leave the anodizing intact, it is not necessary to remove it. The Cerakote provides scratch and impact resistance as well. Its flexible and will not crack. The anodizing will provide corrosion resistance for sure, but only as long as its intact and it comes off a lot easier than Cerakote. Put an anodized part, and Cerakoted part in a blast cabinet and the difference is clear. Its takes much longer to remove the Cerakote. The only down side is price.
View Quote
What price range for a full AR?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I will PM you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top