Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2017 11:09:31 PM EDT
Anyone here had good results finishing a raw lower with any of the popular coatings? Just looking to match a black anodized upper and be fairly resistant to cleaners and oils for general use.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone here had good results finishing a raw lower with any of the popular coatings? Just looking to match a black anodized upper and be fairly resistant to cleaners and oils for general use.
View Quote
to be honest - the only way to get a great match is to refinish both of them.

but - it's fun to try!
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Black engine paint we works fine
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry if i had this in the wrong place. How thick is the engine paint compared to gunkote or cerakote?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had good results using VHT flat black epoxy spray paint. Not a perfect match, but pretty darn close. And its some pretty tough stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#5]
close is good enough. budget build. did it interfere with pins or anything as far as tolerences?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Not that I can remember. I sprayed 2 light coats, so it wasn't laid on super thick.  The hammer and trigger pins may have been just a touch tighter, but nothing crazy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thànkß for the replies. I just ordered à small bottle of gunkote in socom black. Gonna try to follow the directions and airbrush it on.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Aerovoe flat black on the lower. Bead blasted lightly after machining. Cleaned with brake cleaner before paint. Heated in the oven at 280* for an hour or so after paint.

It's pretty durable. I've only taken it out a few times, but it gets banged around and scratched up against other rifles because my safe it rerally tight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top