Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2017 11:27:04 AM EDT
Hello fellow Arfcommers,

Here's the gist of it. I sent my DDM4V5 off to be Cerakoated in Patriot Brown, with the barrel in black. It was received by the shop 6 April. They advertised a 2-4 week turnaround.

I checked last week on the status and it shows "processing" on their site still, so I emailed and asked about it. They responded and said it had just finished coming out of prep and will be ready for refinishing. I check today and it still says "processing". It's been 51 days now. I'm getting impatient because I was planning on running this at front sight next weekend. Am I being a sissy? Or is it not unreasonable to be a little frustrated at this point? Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
They advertised a 2-4 week turnaround.
View Quote

I haven't had cerakote done before, but that sounds perfectly reasonable.

Quoted:
I checked last week on the status and it shows "processing" on their site still,
View Quote

Oh boy, that's never good. *flashbacks of ordering an exhaust*

Quoted:
I check today and it still says "processing". It's been 51 days now.
View Quote

So they quoted you 14-28 days, and now they're well past to almost at double that time?

Yeah, no, that's rather unacceptable imo. Give them a date and let them know that you'll be by to pick it up on that day and time. If it's finished, you can pay them and be on your way without trouble. If it's not, then take your rifle back, and go pay someone who will actually do the job as and when promised.

I'm non-confrontational, I like to try and be very understanding and give plenty of leeway because stuff happens, people get backed up, and complications arise. I understand that, sometimes things don't go perfectly and on schedule. But there gets to be a point that is not excuseable, and 2-3x past the due date with no definite delivery time or real progress update is definitely at the point of "get it done or give it back."
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That's ridiculous. Last time I had something Cerakoted (~3 years ago) it took about 5 business days. I'd be pissed if I were you.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
We were quoted 1-2 weeks at Olympic Cerakote in January and there are still guys without their parts.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Here's the gist of it. I sent my DDM4V5 off to be Cerakoated in Patriot Brown, with the barrel in black. It was received by the shop 6 April. They advertised a 2-4 week turnaround.
View Quote

I'm guessing we sent it to the same shop.
Mine was received  on 4/19.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Wait times I can handle. Non-communication I cannot.

If they've been in touch and are providing updates, then just hang tight (my suggestion).
If it's a good company that's worth the wait, it will make it that much better when you get it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We were quoted 1-2 weeks at Olympic Cerakote in January and there are still guys without their parts.
View Quote
Got mine back a few days short of 4 months.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Got mine back a few days short of 4 months.
View Quote
Oh shit. That's not what I wanted to hear.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I can handle longer wait times as long as there is communication.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We got swamped from our sale. It seems we ran it a bit too long and it just buried us.

We are right on the cusp of being back to normal turn times here. We have guys working round the clock and on holidays. We apologize for the terrible delays but rather than send out poor quality work, we want to do it right.
View Quote
Then send a mass email to let your current customers waiting know there is a back log...

Customer Service 101 FFS.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#11]
There are a lot of companies that Cerakote in Arizona. Most say turnaround is 3-7 days. No way will I be sending my weapons out of state.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Sure, still waiting on my stuff from January.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hello fellow Arfcommers,

I checked last week on the status and it shows "processing" on their site still, so I emailed and asked about it. They responded and said it had just finished coming out of prep and will be ready for refinishing. I check today and it still says "processing". It's been 51 days now. I'm getting impatient because I was planning on running this at front sight next weekend. Am I being a sissy? Or is it not unreasonable to be a little frustrated at this point? Thanks guys.
View Quote

Where are you? I would never wait that long... scalpel arms in Texas offers same day service for locals...
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow, really? 2 or three Months?  What did you do? Offer free coatings?  No way would I wait months to have a gun coated!  Not when most states have several trained and certified coaters!  And letting your customers just hang?  Poor busine practices.  You go out of business doing that!
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

30% off ALL cerakote work. It's a pretty big savings for custom stuff.

We have been available for contact a majority of the time whether via phone, text, email, forum message, etc. it forced us to grow quickly and we are almost recovered. We have never denied fault or shifted blame. We do hope everyone takes us up on our apology. So we can prove that customer service is important to us and that we are here for you guys.
View Quote
It's definitely a smoking deal. I understand how you could get overwhelmed with a huge response on a sale like that. I appreciate you guys stepping up. I look forward to getting my rifle back and I hope I didn't cause you guys any unnecessary headaches. I'm just eager to get it and show it off in my next carbine class.

Thanks again Olympic.

I'll update everyone when the rifle shows and I'll post pics to drool on
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#20]
This is a good lesson for all.  I think Olympic is a good dealer, seem him post on here.  The issue is when a custom shop gets backed up, for whatever reason, the comms HAVE to be good.  People can (usually) stand the waits, but they can't stand being ignored.  If you have one of these types that calls boolshit, and doesn't want to wait, I would immediately refund and nip that shit in the bud.  I have refunded a couple of grand worth of business before just because my wait times got out there.  

There are many young folks who are very impatient and are unwilling to wait for custom work.  There are guys doing custom work that aren't very good at communicating.  And/or have an attitude problem.  So I think it cuts both ways here.  As a dealer, you have to be able to respond to a sudden backlog; as a customer, you need to decide if you want a certain shop or price, how long are you willing to wait.  

In this case, I think you have a good shop that will do a good job for you; unfortunately you have a backlog which you both have to figure out what to do.  This happens in successful start-up businesses.

The wait is unfortunate, but as long as the guy is communicating with you, and you think it's gonna get done, albeit, a little late, I'd stick with him.  I would imagine you will be getting it pretty quick at this point.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't mind the wait for quality work. What bothers me is when I think it's going to be 2-4 weeks as advertised. I alloted 6 weeks just in case. Now I'm not able to run the rifle I wanted in my carbine class.

If it will take 10 weeks, 12 weeks 6 months, whatever. Just tell me so I know going in. I understand delays. But month long delays or longer are aggravating as hell. It's not a coffee cup. It's a freaking $1500 rifle. That's what is frustrating for me.

I guess we'll see how it goes, although it gives me pause when guys are saying it's been 4 months for them.

ETA:spelling
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Still processing...
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Any update?

ETA: never mind, forgot about the other thread
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe next time you offer a sale limit it to an amount that you can turn around in a month, something like the first 100 shoppers get 30%, if not you are going to end up costing yourselves more customers than you earn...just an idea
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#27]
dang for just a single color, we turn our stuff out in under a week. We're not high volume by any means but damn, thats pretty bad
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#29]

I sent them 2 Surefire 60's to have done. Hopefully it will go better than last time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They arrived yesterday and have already been prepped. Should be getting coated today.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top