Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2017 10:27:44 AM EDT
I've been doing a lot of reading about different kinds of coatings, like these https://www.wingtactical.com/common-gun-coatings/, and I wanted to see what everyone here uses, or if it really matters that much.

Let me hear your thoughts!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't matter much, I put a good coating of Aervoe paint on top of it for a cool custom paint job.

Then I take a great deal of pleasure in trying to wear it off by hard use. I've been successful.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
cera coat or norrels moly resin. those 2 have held up pretty good for me.
I like gun coatings that stay on and look professionally done. for years.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#3]
My barrels are either nitride, QPQ, or 416 uncoated stainless.  My BCGs are either phosphate, nitride, or nickel-boron.

My AR receivers, upper and lower are anodized aluminum.  They are otherwise uncoated black.

Most of my bolt guns and other firearms are traditional iron oxide blued, ranging from soft satin to high polished deep mirror bluing.

I don't like paint on firearms.  I'm not fighting bad guys in the jungle or desert that might be shooting back.  Any hostile encounter will be in my home, probably at night.  Black will be perfect.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
My barrels are either nitride, QPQ, or 416 uncoated stainless.  My BCGs are either phosphate, nitride, or nickel-boron.

My AR receivers, upper and lower are anodized aluminum.  They are otherwise uncoated black.

Most of my bolt guns and other firearms are traditional black iron oxide blued, ranging from soft satin to high polished deep mirror bluing.  I have a couple parkerized older military rifles.

I don't like paint on firearms.  I'm not fighting bad guys in the jungle or desert that might be shooting back.  Any hostile encounter will be in my home, probably at night.  Black will be perfect.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#5]
A handful of my firearms are cerakoted.  I prefer that one to all others since it is very resilient, and also self-lubricating.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Entry level- Duracoat,  Intermediate- KG Gunkote, Advanced or Professional grade- Cerakote.

Field expedient-  anything- rattle can, camo stick, mud, etc.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't matter much, I put a good coating of Aervoe paint on top of it for a cool custom paint job.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l304/baziuk/Multicam%20Spray%20Paint/MulticamPaint02.jpg

Then I take a great deal of pleasure in trying to wear it off by hard use. I've been successful.
View Quote
+1

Aervoe paint has proven MUCH MORE DURABLE (for me) than other brands of "camo" rattle can paint.  In fact, Aervoe offers some resistance to Acetone and other chemical strippers that will absolutely destroy Krylon and Rustoleum.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I've also owned rifles with factory applied Duracoat (DSA FALs) and Cerakote (LWRC and DD).

Duracoat sucks.
Cerakote is pretty decent.

The last gun I had with a factory applied "finish" was a DD in their "Milspec" color.  It was a nice durable finish.  I sold it, because for my application those "high performance finishes" offer nothing over home applied spray paint.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top