Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2017 11:03:50 PM EDT
I'm thinking about doing my own cerakote and I was wondering what is the best setup airbrush or hvlp?
from the cerakote website they recommend  to use a .80 tip size and I been looking at both the airbrush and hvlp but they don't have that .80 tip size needle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:48:44 AM EDT
[#1]
An HVLP gun is best for cerakote, at least in my experience.

For reasons I don't understand, the medium sized to full sized guns do the best job, and the smaller guns (HVLP) not so great.
The exception to this that I found was Cerakote "Burnt Bronze", which is the most watery in consistency, and sprays very nicely and evenly from small spray guns.

I'll use Burnt Bronze anytime (and I have), but I wish they made some other colors that easy to use. I've pretty much switched over to Duracoat and Durabake because of the difficulty in making thin, even coatings.

G.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked at that hvlp gun from cerakote and I saw some bad reviews on it. from where some people cleaned it and the paint was removed from the spray gun and caused all kinds of problems and a few other things as well. but if you buy the package deal that they have looks like you get the spray gun for free since the paint is worth over $200 if you bought separate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top