Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2017 11:51:14 PM EDT
so im thinking about trying to do some at home hydro dipping but i have no idea were to start or what exactly i need there kits that are $30 and there are some that are $300. im not planing on doing a guns any time soon just wanted to try it out on some some things like mags a knife i sand blasted a year ago and never finished things like that. does any one have first hand experience with hydro dip and do i just need film and activator or should i get one of the kits that has paint ,activator,clear film cause i dont feel i do i mean i can get clear coat when ever but it doesnt say what kind of clear it is i dont know what the activator but i would really like to know cause if it some thing simple that i can mix myself and if not i have to buy that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:05:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag-gage because this is of interest.

Have a couple of 870s and a few bolt action hunting rifles I'd love to have dipped.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have a couple of 870s and a few bolt action hunting rifles I'd love to have dipped.
View Quote
what? im kind of confused as to what you mean by tag-gage
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:35:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It means he's got ghey love for you. Keep your cornhole covered.

Nah it means he's trying to subscribe to the thread by commenting. But as far as I know arfcom doesn't work that way, which i find very frustrating. I might buy a membership if it is enabled then but I don't think it works here. I don't believe there is ever even a subscribe button in GD.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:43:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nah it means he's trying to subscribe to the thread by commenting. But as far as I know arfcom doesn't work that way, which i find very frustrating. I might buy a membership if it is enabled then but I don't think it works here. I don't believe there is ever even a subscribe button in GD.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subscriptions are supported here.  If you're a paying member.  As an added bonus is the green button.  It takes you to the last post you read in that thread.  It may only be available to Gold level or higher, l don't really remember.  Just look over the descriptions of the levels of you decide to buy a membership.  It's a fantastic feature.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:49:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Subscriptions are supported here.  If you're a paying member.  As an added bonus is the green button.  It takes you to the last post you read in that thread.  It may only be available to Gold level or higher, l don't really remember.  Just look over the descriptions of the levels of you decide to buy a membership.  It's a fantastic feature.
View Quote
Glad to know that. It's kinda the only reason I never bought a membership. If the features were available up front then I would've done it a long time ago. I friggin hate trying to find threads in GD that I wanted to subscribe to but could not, and I hate finding where I left off. It makes the whole site feel disorganized (that and the search doesn't work).
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#7]
im interested in this topic.

but not for a firearm, dont the hydrodips wear off relatively easy? (compared to cerakote)
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#8]
lol... where to start./depends on the user. hydro dip finishes for some last years with minimal wear. are you looking for ultimate rust protection or somewhere in the middle. ? if your going for looks Hydro dip offers life like finishes. as with anything its all about prep and the type of base coat paint used that the hydro film bites into. some dip services use shortcuts not using good automotive grade 2 part paints as a base.you can also dip a finish on top of Duracoat which is a darn tough finish but takes trial and error. those at home dip finishes require a learning curve despite you-tube making it look easy. some get lucky 1st time but you can waste alot of material in the learning process.a hydro dip finish will be about as tough as a auto finish which isint too bad as long as its done right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top