Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2017 4:45:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks ok.
I used leaves and sticks as stencils and it worked well when I did mine.
Big thing is matching your local colors.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
That was... thorough...

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being thorough and covering all the bases helps people avoid making mistakes they have to spend more time correcting. Thats why we put together the video

How many people don't mask over parts like the trigger, or end of with a drippy mess of a paintjob or a very cookie cutter looking paintbox because they put fishing net over their rifle to paint it. Many people have alot of money invested in their rifles, why mess it up with a sloppy paint job. Do it right the first time and youll have something you are proud of.

It is actually a very simple process, just take your time with it
View Quote
I begrudge no one however thorough they want to be, and seriously, kudos on making a good, easy to follow video and taking all the effort to do the prep work.  

My very personal and subjective opinion, however, is that if you want your gun to look "good," and are willing to go through all that prep work, you may as well get a professional finish done in something more durable than rattle can.  For me, rattle can is strictly utilitarian camouflage, it will wear and chip and scratch, and eventually it will look so ugly that it's probably better to just strip and re-paint, but to me, that's an advantage of rattle can.  In Nevada, you may not need to worry as much about re-painting seasonally, but others may wish to.  Ultimately, the job of camouflage is to break up the outline of the gun, and I think even worn paint does that effectively.  

Again, I have no problem with people wanting their guns to look good, that's up to the individual's preferences, but I think if you're going to do that much prep work, you'll probably ultimately be happier with a more durable finish than rattle can.  

Personally I've never bothered to mask triggers or remove front sights or degrease, and I've been perfectly happy with the camouflage effect, it may not look pretty, but it does the job I've asked it to do, and I've never had any issues like the ones you mention from doing so--if you shoot the gun, the paint will wear off the trigger--fact of life.  I wad up toilet paper and stick it in the magwell, mask off any optic lenses/markings I want to keep, and just tape over the flash suppressor (most of which are suppressor mounts where I don't want paint on).  Relative to the statement that some people have a lot of money invested... I've definitely painted guns way more expensive than a 6920 in less time total, including prep work, than it took to watch the video, even with the time lapse segments and jump cuts.  

I will say if you're using half a can of Krylon on one gun for a base coat--you're using way too much.  

So--as I said, it was very thorough, and a decent tutorial for those who are interested in being that thorough, there you have it.

Again, I'm not saying my way is better than your way--just different ways of doing things depending on what you hope to accomplish.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top