Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2017 1:09:23 PM EDT
I have always just used Dura Coat on polymers because I thought you couldn't properly cure them.  But I've heard mention here of guys doing it.  What's the scoop?  Specifically Magpul products and Glock frames.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used Durabake (heat cured) paint on a number of polymers, including an 80% Glock frame.

The instructions for Durabake give a reduced temperature heat cure recipe that works well.

I've done some pistol magazines too, just for the fun of it (no practical reason such as making caliber specific colors).

No problems that I've encountered.

G.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Right on thanks.  I contacted both Magpul and Glock and basically got no answers.  Magpul said do the lowest temp for the shortest time.  Hey thanks for the hot tip.  Glock said they didn't recommend any coating be done, as that would void warranty.  Huh guess I won't tell him about the wraparound stippling job.

All I'm looking for is a base number to stay under and extend the cure time.  

I tried 170 deg on some magpul stuff yesterday and it didn't melt, but I was very conservative with the times as well.  

Any more input welcome.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]
You can download the instructions for Durabake at their website (the instructions for polymers is somewhere in the middle of the instructions).

Cerakote also includes a reduced temp cooking recipe for their product too.

G.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Right on thanks.  I really love working with the KG products, but the heat cure can be an issue.  I know they have a new air-cured line, and Dura Coat has a new heat cure line, so the cross-overs can be confusing (if not amusing).  And Cerakote is probably the most versatile (and durable) of the bunch.  

I just wish the mfg's would or could come out with a figure of merit to let us know what temp and duration would be OK for their products.  But we live in a world with so many lawyers and dipshits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top