Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2013 4:44:12 PM EDT
I thought I'd share this here. Always thought sandblasting was a pretty involved thing, but I needed some parts blaster, so I made this setup for under $50. It runs just fine doing small parts running off a 5 gallon air compressor.

Here is my Low Budget sand blasting cabinet (Box). I'm using it to prep my UZI for parkerizing and future projects. The setup draws media from a container in the corner of the tote.

Here is a breakdown

-sandblasting gun and tube - $19
http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-AT1226-Sandblasting-Kit/dp/B0007D30DO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385761412&sr=8-1&keywords=sandblasting+gun
-Plastic tote and lid from home depot - $10
-18" long chemical gloves from tractor supply -$7
-plexi -  already had
-PCV drain pipe -  already had
air hose and fittings  - already had

$36 total (not including media) for a sandblasting setup. Not bad!

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.

I used a scrapped dishwasher for mine.  I cut holes for gloves and window on the back side.  

The drain made a great spot for the sand to accumulate and the door seal was perfect.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice.

Many years ago I scored a chemical mixing cabinet that was being thrown away due to school remodeling. I enclosed the bottom with plexiglass and added the gloves and fittings.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#3]
All good suggestions. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Add a muffin fan in the top- put a paper coffee filter across the hole before bolting on the fan- it'll suck the dust out of the way. Put another hole with a coffee filter on the other side for the intake. Then you can see.  I did something similar and even added a cheap LED plastic light.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I need to do this badly. Tomorrow I'll be outside in 10F temps blasting out in the open, wasting media and fogging up a mask while my hair fills with glass beads.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Dust and visibility inside the box is defiantly not bad. Could see my parts clearly. I put a shop light accross the top part of my plexi to help me see in when blasting

The main thing I left out was a breather vent/hole. As stated above, a coffee filter would probably work, or I have heard some people say they use a sponge. Good idea.

Even with no breather, the small amount of dust being forced out of the box was only noticeable from a light beam shining thru the window in the garage. Not bad at all.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rcbif:
Dust and visibility inside the box is defiantly not bad. Could see my parts clearly. I put a shop light accross the top part of my plexi to help me see in when blasting

The main thing I left out was a breather vent/hole. As stated above, a coffee filter would probably work, or I have heard some people say they use a sponge. Good idea.

Even with no breather, the small amount of dust being forced out of the box was only noticeable from a light beam shining thru the window in the garage. Not bad at all.

View Quote

That shit building up in your lungs is bad juju, and it does. I use a professionally built cabinet, but for a vent, I ran PVC 6 feet up my shop wall and out. I don't lose any media, but I have a 2 inch vent for air to escape. It works very well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Mabe not sufficient but I used my shop vac with a hepa filter.  I had to knock the dust off the filter every so often but I could not detect any dust escaping my cabinet.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#9]
That is a really nice looking set up.  Are you using sand or aluminum oxide?  I am wanting to do a few pistols with ceracote and don't want to make a big investment in blasting equipment.

How did you seal the PVC fittings to the bin?  Just regular caulk or did you have to use something special to adhere to the plastic material.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:24:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rc109a] [#10]
Is that white stuff in the background?  Escaped blasting media?  

Only kidding.  Very nice setup.  How do the gloves handle the force of the media?  Would it help to make the window larger?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 11:58:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rcbif] [#11]
I used 80 grit aluminum oxide. It worked out nice. 120 would probably be better for some smaller "prettier" guns.

The PVC was roughed up on the outside with heavy grit sandpaper along with the plastic hole area. Then let my big hot glue gun warm up for a half hour and glued them in place. Glue got super hot and liquidy. It should hold for as long as the box will last.

Could do a bigger window, but that's more area you have to protect from scratches. I used clear packing tape. Others asked why I didnt do a clear bin. I couldnt find any that I was satisfied with as far as being sturdy and the plastic seeming durable enough.

The chemical gloves seemed to hold up well. There were times I was hitting them directly by accident or just being close. Didnt burn thru to my hands
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Since i am new to this, is your media pick-up line contained inside the cabinet?  Does that cause any issues with media contamination?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By rc109a:
Since i am new to this, is your media pick-up line contained inside the cabinet?  Does that cause any issues with media contamination?
View Quote

Media shouldn't be contaminated by blasting. The item should be clean first. With metal, acetone baths are ideal to remove any contaminate. It should be totally free of any grease or oil when it goes in.  If this is done, the material removed shouldn't begin to cause issues with the media, as the media will be worn out prior to the foreign material building up enough to matter.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I did use the blaster to strip some parkerizing off my grip frame, but it was a very small amount that eventually got mixed in with 4 pounds of media. I wouldn't make a habit of it though, or if you do, separate that media for stripping only or somthing.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:05:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saleendude07] [#15]
Awesome! I think I have most of the supplies needed. Now I just need an oven
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I have not been to Home Depot to check out the storage bin yet.  I was thinking you could also attach a section of PVC pipe out one of the ends so that you could do longer barrels, like a shotgun or a bolt action rifle where the barrel is not easily removed from the receiver.

I got to get working on this set up.
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#17]
That's awesome.  I'm going to have to make one now.  

A couple questions:
- What size tub did you use?
- How long did your Gatorade bottle of media last you until you had to refill it?
- What pressure were you running it at?

Again, that's awesome
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#18]
STICKY!

Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MarkBinSC:
I have not been to Home Depot to check out the storage bin yet.  I was thinking you could also attach a section of PVC pipe out one of the ends so that you could do longer barrels, like a shotgun or a bolt action rifle where the barrel is not easily removed from the receiver.

I got to get working on this set up.
View Quote

Just a note, I've seen those bins also at my local Walmart so you might check yours.  In container aisle.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#21]
How many pounds of media do you need to run this cabinet?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I have 10lbs in mine but hopper feed my blasting gun instead of hose fed
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TheMountaineer:
That's awesome.  I'm going to have to make one now.  

A couple questions:
- What size tub did you use?
- How long did your Gatorade bottle of media last you until you had to refill it?
- What pressure were you running it at?

Again, that's awesome
View Quote

Defiantly overdue, but forgot about this and never realized it was made a sticky!

-Bin is a 27gal. Cut it very carefully, as it is a bit brittle and can crack! Shop around though, you may find somthing nicer. Keep how the lid seals in mine. You want a sturdy lid brim
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-gal-Strong-Box-Plastic-Storage-Tote-in-Black-and-Yellow-292015/202976606?N=5yc1vZc89j

-My bottle of media lasted maybe 4 minutes or so of spraying which way plenty to do my whole grip frame without reloading it.

- I think pressure should depend on your media, but I think I used 80 PSI. Sample first if possible to make sure you arent too high and pitting the metal or damaging it.

Glad this was help to some. My main point of this post was to show how cheap and easy this can be done.

If you build one share it and how it differs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I really want to try this type of setup, but I have two primary concerns:

1. No garage = access only to a small air tank (sub 10 gallon), and it would likely have to be done indoors.  Is an indoor blasting setup even remotely feasible?

2. Safety.  I'm concerned about the dust that's created by blasting.  I have a respirator, but even so, airborne glass particulates are not something to joke around with.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT....I tried this was a harbor freight  large blast cabinet that I meticulously sealed above and beyond the norm. I also use G80 steel grit which creates hardly any dust, even after all that when blasting in my basement the dust gets on everything and stays in the air. It even makes its way up into the main level of my house to the point my wife can smell it(I wear a respirator while blasting so I do not) . You do not  want anything in your lungs even if its not known to cause problems.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By rengar:
I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT....I tried this was a harbor freight  large blast cabinet that I meticulously sealed above and beyond the norm. I also use G80 steel grit which creates hardly any dust, even after all that when blasting in my basement the dust gets on everything and stays in the air. It even makes its way up into the main level of my house to the point my wife can smell it(I wear a respirator while blasting so I do not) . You do not  want anything in your lungs even if its not known to cause problems.
View Quote

Blast it with the makeshift container outdoors?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: roadrnr] [#27]
I like this! I got mine mostly put together this weekend, still need to fix up a plexiglass window.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I found this and I am currently building one to redo my RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Have a massive custom job on parts and thought a color change paint job was a good thing. Well time to build box, strip it down and go tactical black and cotye brown throughout. Add on my MGT02 Supressor on a proof research barrel (titanium sleeve down to nut) and this should look awesome. Will post finished box and process or stripping.
Using 80 grit glass beads

Wish me luck
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Last summer while using a glass bead blaster in class nearly everyone stuck their head into the cabinet to retrieve parts while the dust was still airborne.

Don't do that.
View Quote
I wear a filter when blasting parts I do it so much . I need to get rid of the safety air switch that blows off air when the cabinets opened .
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:25:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SlugMug] [#31]
Can someone recommend gloves for a DIY blast cabinet?

edit:  Nevermind, found some ~16 ones on ebay.  I don't do enough sandblasting to where the quality of gloves matters a whole lot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Can you rehost the pictures somewhere? Thanks!

I have a sand blaster, would be nice to make a cabinet for it so I can reuse the media.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top