BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 81
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Muels:
Tried my hand at multicam. I’ll take it for a first attempt. Have a few things I would change for next time.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/488146/FD821042-60D3-4328-8133-D1E9576783CF_jpe-1389321.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/488146/5DDE578A-4473-48A4-B90E-147FBDD4A072_jpe-1389323.JPG
View Quote

What would you change for next time?

Mine above was my first attempt after quite a bit of research and some advice from a family member. I doubt I’ll do another multicam pattern but I am very impressed the the theory of it, the fades and splotches, hard transitions, etc. I hope to incorporate those into the next paint project.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:29:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muels] [#2]
Originally Posted By theguymontag:

What would you change for next time?

Mine above was my first attempt after quite a bit of research and some advice from a family member. I doubt I’ll do another multicam pattern but I am very impressed the the theory of it, the fades and splotches, hard transitions, etc. I hope to incorporate those into the next paint project.
View Quote

I’m not a huge fan of the “nutmeg” brown color. It’s got a mustardy, slightly red/orange tint.  It clashes with the OD. I also think some of the stencils are a bit large.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Tried my hand at multicam. I’ll take it for a first attempt. Have a few things I would change for next time.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/488146/FD821042-60D3-4328-8133-D1E9576783CF_jpe-1389321.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/488146/5DDE578A-4473-48A4-B90E-147FBDD4A072_jpe-1389323.JPG
View Quote

Looks really good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Springer1911Fan:

Looks really good.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:16:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muels] [#5]
doubletap
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#6]

I’m not a huge fan of the “nutmeg” brown color. It’s got a mustardy, slightly red/orange tint.  It clashes with the OD. I also think some of the stencils are a bit large.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/488146/image_jpg-1389460.JPG
View Quote

I used “vinyl weapon stickers” for my stencils and they came with large, medium and small. I see what you mean on the color clash, the majority of my paints I did swatches to double check how they would mesh before I started.

Aervoe: field drab, sand, desert sand, dark green, earth brown, Krylon: camo brown and woodland light green. I did experiment with some earth red for the ochre aspect but it needs a light khaki to help tone down the loudness.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:20:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#7]
I might try to multicam a rifle. Did a pistol a few weeks ago using hand cut stencils on painters tape. Not great, but I'm hard on my guns so It'll be driveway-ish soon

Interested to hear any techniques on the base colors plus hard colors y'all mentioned. I assume some various base colors in random places?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:37:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
Was able to take my boogaloo backup out for a little dirt work today

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/245997/B740B4A5-08AA-4097-A68A-4941C10A7057_jpe-1326343.JPG
View Quote

@DirtDivision What color brown did you use? I was originally going for this look before going with a black tan theme. I really like how this looks though
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:34:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
I might try to multicam a rifle. Did a pistol a few weeks ago using hand cut stencils on painters tape. Not great, but I'm hard on my guns so It'll be driveway-ish soon

Interested to hear any techniques on the base colors plus hard colors y'all mentioned. I assume some various base colors in random places?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/263586/20200416_102334_2_jpg-1389932.JPG
View Quote

That AR15 looks exactly like a Glock model I've shot before!

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Seatbelts:

@DirtDivision What color brown did you use? I was originally going for this look before going with a black tan theme. I really like how this looks though
View Quote

@seatbelts it’s the krylon camouflage I I used the tan and the brown. Mainly because it’s all I had left but there’s the recipe. Happy hunting.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:

Interested to hear any techniques on the base colors plus hard colors y'all mentioned. I assume some various base colors in random places
View Quote

It’s pretty rewarding after peeling all the stencils off - and I suggest splurging for the yellow vinyl stencils as it makes for a better product. And yes the driveway is always an option.

I laid a base of sand with stripes/fades of field drab and then placed my bigger stencils. Next some stripes/fades of dark green and woodland light green BUT my woodland wasn’t light enough so I misted some khaki to break it up. Then stenciled in my blobs of camo brown (mixed with earth brown to take the edge off) and desert sand as final. “Landscape Camo” has a pictorial if multicam that’s helpful but hard to link on mobile.  

If you’re interested in the hard transitions you can place masking tape/excess stencil lines during the larger stencil process so parts of the colors will be more abrupt. I believe you’ll only do that for the greener layer. I did some on some mags and they came out well... but I decided against it for the rifle as I didn’t want to get that in depth.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is what I used in order. Grey base, brown second. Green/nutmeg stripes, khaki/OD stripes

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#13]

DuraCoat!
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Something out of the ordinary, My wife wanted her blaster painted "Fun" and these were the colors she gave me. Kinda has a 1980s vibe to it.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaTrueDave] [#15]
Originally Posted By BlackHills:
Something out of the ordinary, My wife wanted her blaster painted "Fun" and these were the colors she gave me. Kinda has a 1980s vibe to it.

https://i.imgur.com/FkiF0X3l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qZttl6il.jpg
View Quote

I want to see one with stripes like that done as the base, then stencils applied, and something more subtle (black and gray?) done on top, so that just a small pattern of the wild and crazy comes through in the pattern.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

I want to see one with stripes like that done as the base, then stencils applied, and something more subtle (black and gray?) done on top, so that just a small pattern of the wild and crazy comes through in the pattern.
View Quote

That would be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:27:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BlackHills:
Something out of the ordinary, My wife wanted her blaster painted "Fun" and these were the colors she gave me. Kinda has a 1980s vibe to it.

https://i.imgur.com/FkiF0X3l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qZttl6il.jpg
View Quote

You’ve inadvertently made Damascus camo from Modern Warfare. Well done  
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Are we doing other rifles too?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
Are we doing other rifles too?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/245997/BE9622B6-D214-4617-BFF6-6737462A5AE2_jpe-1399248.JPG
View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: McCarron] [#21]

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#22]
First attempt.

Barrel was stainless and that just had to go. So I sprayed it black, put the handguard back on...looked at the camo paint in the corner and went, screw it.

Not a very serious attempt just something other than straight black. It's an extra upper so I didn't really care. Turns out I do like Krylon's O.D. Green though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

@McCarron nice. what technique and colors did you use?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:31:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Masked off important areas
Cut up some of my kid’s thick hobby paper with an exacto blade
Used negative and positive parts as stencils
Base of krylon sand
Added Aervoe OD green
Added Aervoe highland brown

I saw some photos years ago from Q Concepts and it got the wheels turning

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#25]
@KTM300XCW Here are the photos from Q Concepts. I believe he painted these for a US Optics photo shoot.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Finished a few more up.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Did this a few years ago.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Wanting to paint a 22LR build, but havent done it before. I dont have it built yetbut am using blem receivers so thats why I want to paint it.

Can I just partially build out the receivers, mock them up with the rail and then paint? After its done, finish building it? Or will the paint possibly be an issue with assembly after?

I dont want the optic, grip, brace or barrel painted, so thats why Im thinking partially build it first and paint, and then finish the build

@beitodesstrafe help please
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:
Can I just partially build out the receivers, mock them up with the rail and then paint? After its done, finish building it?
View Quote

Absolutely.  I'd just say tape off the inside of the receivers or stuff with paper or plastic bags.  Most difficult part for you will be keeping it together while you paint.  Granted that's assuming you're going for a pattern vs solid color.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By THEdtw:

Absolutely.  I'd just say tape off the inside of the receivers or stuff with paper or plastic bags.  Most difficult part for you will be keeping it together while you paint.  Granted that's assuming you're going for a pattern vs solid color.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Can I just partially build out the receivers, mock them up with the rail and then paint? After its done, finish building it?

Absolutely.  I'd just say tape off the inside of the receivers or stuff with paper or plastic bags.  Most difficult part for you will be keeping it together while you paint.  Granted that's assuming you're going for a pattern vs solid color.

Yep. Absolutely, I'd also say paint before you assemble.

Unless you go absolutely 'tarded with the coat thicknesses, it won't be a problem at all (and even then, that's nothing 3 seconds with a wire brush can't fix).

One tip. I use strips of thin cardboard or masking tapped rolled up to make temp front and rear "take down pins" to keep the receivers together. (hand guards vary by design... most grip onto their barrel nut well enough even without whatever locking/clamping hardware).
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Paint is cheap enough to experiment with. Might do the Aero M5 build in that green and strip this one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

Yep. Absolutely, I'd also say paint before you assemble.

Unless you go absolutely 'tarded with the coat thicknesses, it won't be a problem at all (and even then, that's nothing 3 seconds with a wire brush can't fix).

One tip. I use strips of thin cardboard or masking tapped rolled up to make temp front and rear "take down pins" to keep the receivers together. (hand guards vary by design... most grip onto their barrel nut well enough even without whatever locking/clamping hardware).
View All Quotes

Unless you go absolutely 'tarded with the coat thicknesses, it won't be a problem at all (and even then, that's nothing 3 seconds with a wire brush can't fix).

One tip. I use strips of thin cardboard or masking tapped rolled up to make temp front and rear "take down pins" to keep the receivers together. (hand guards vary by design... most grip onto their barrel nut well enough even without whatever locking/clamping hardware).

Thanks guys!

Got this a while back for when I figured Id eventually mess with it

So basic process would be:

clean receivers, rail, mock up assembly
paint all with lightest color first, let dry
add painters tape/design
paint with next darker shade, let dry
add painters tape/design
repeat going darker each step

That bout right for a noob?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Thanks guys!

Got this a while back for when I figured Id eventually mess with it 

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51cUyoQQxiL._AC_.jpg

So basic process would be:

clean receivers, rail, mock up assembly
paint all with lightest color first, let dry
add painters tape/design
paint with next darker shade, let dry
add painters tape/design
repeat going darker each step

That bout right for a noob? 
View All Quotes

Thanks guys!

Got this a while back for when I figured Id eventually mess with it 

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51cUyoQQxiL._AC_.jpg

So basic process would be:

clean receivers, rail, mock up assembly
paint all with lightest color first, let dry
add painters tape/design
paint with next darker shade, let dry
add painters tape/design
repeat going darker each step

That bout right for a noob? 

Yep that about sums it up!

And that's a good paint set. That's what we bought for my partner's waterfowl gun. The greens are really nice.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Yep that about sums it up!

And that's a good paint set. That's what we bought for my partner's waterfowl gun. The greens are really nice.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks!

Ordered the rest of the parts today for my dedicated 22LR build, so guess Ill post pics of my fucked up painting in here and the 22 thread
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Awesome, thanks!

Ordered the rest of the parts today for my dedicated 22LR build, so guess Ill post pics of my fucked up painting in here and the 22 thread 
View All Quotes

And that's a good paint set. That's what we bought for my partner's waterfowl gun. The greens are really nice.

Awesome, thanks!

Ordered the rest of the parts today for my dedicated 22LR build, so guess Ill post pics of my fucked up painting in here and the 22 thread 

Feel free to post them in my spray paint thread as well!

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Y-all-Got-Any-More-of-That-Spray-Paint-/5-2222740/
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:17:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StarCityShooter] [#36]

Feel free to post them in my spray paint thread as well!

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Y-all-Got-Any-More-of-That-Spray-Paint-/5-2222740/
View Quote

You just want to shame me

Will do!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Awesome, thanks!

View All Quotes

Awesome, thanks!

The best paint jobs are the one you don't overthink. The best ones I've ever done are after having enough booze to get that "fuck it" point and just go to town. The ones where you try to get overly precise or an unber specific pattern will leave you frustrated.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

The best paint jobs are the one you don't overthink. The best ones I've ever done are after having enough booze to get that "fuck it" point and just go to town. The ones where you try to get overly precise or an unber specific pattern will leave you frustrated. 
View Quote

So should I hit the old ladys White Claw stash prior to painting?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#39]

So should I hit the old ladys White Claw stash prior to painting? 
View All Quotes

The best paint jobs are the one you don't overthink. The best ones I've ever done are after having enough booze to get that "fuck it" point and just go to town. The ones where you try to get overly precise or an unber specific pattern will leave you frustrated. 

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

GET YOUR OWN CLAW

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:31:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#42]
New additions.

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kidnap_44] [#44]
Some great paint jobs in here.
Sprayed this one quick this evening.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Just realized I forgot to do a magazine

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:31:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spatten] [#46]
Did my first rattle can jobs this week.  Was a fun experiment.  I probably should have used a cheaper gun as a starter...oh well.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:52:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UndrGrndPrdcts] [#47]
Originally Posted By Spatten:
Did my first rattle can jobs this week.  Was a fun experiment.  I probably should have used a cheaper gun as a starter...oh well.   

https://i.imgur.com/phpuImVh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/y7QFbCjh.jpg
View Quote

What colors?

@spatten
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:55:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#48]
Did my first rattle can jobs this week.  Was a fun experiment.  I probably should have used a cheaper gun as a starter...oh well.   

https://i.imgur.com/phpuImVh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/y7QFbCjh.jpg
View Quote

They turned out awesome! Time for an even more spendy one to can rape!
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:

What colors?

@spatten
View Quote

Aervoe Field Drab as a base, yellow earth, OD green, forest green.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Aervoe Field Drab as a base, yellow earth, OD green, forest green. 
View Quote

Right on. Looks great. You should take more pics in the outdoors.
Page / 81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top