[#4]
Looks good Mr. Wrong
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mr_Wrong:
http://i.imgur.com/0aOlKqO.jpg
View Quote
If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#6]

SortaCloney2 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
So awesome it's blinding.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:36:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadsquiggles] [#8]
Not an AR but this pattern will be going on my AR after I finish putting it together. This is my Mossberg Maverick 88.

Started with a base coat of Krylon Ultra Flat Khaki and then angled sections of Rustoleum Ultra Flat Camoflauge Earth Brown.

Then I covered it in a mesh laundry bag and sprayed the Khaki over the Brown sections and the Brown over the Khaki sections.

Then at an angle going the opposite direction, I made a couple passes with Krylon Ultra Flat Olive.

This is the finished product. It should work pretty well year-round is southeastern Virginia. The cardboard was the test run.

This is a close up of the pattern and how the three colors mesh.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
So awesome it's blinding.
View Quote
Aw shucks.  Thanks love.

I labored intensely with 3 cans of paint and a laundry bag for like......8 minutes on that.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:32:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Currahee] [#13]
I've painted a few rifles, but this is the first time I've used a sponge.  I got some CARC green paint and sponged it over a base of rustolium light green.  I might add a tiny amount of black in the places where light green shows more.

Attachment Attached File

This however works perfectly

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

What a difference lighting makes (trying to be artistic)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice.  This is the difference between a pattern that actually works under NV, versus all the pretty camo jobs.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:02:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LastRites] [#15]
Alum-Hyde II, ended up getting a fairly even splattering effect likely due to the nozzle.  Will say it actually helps with gripping the tiny slide so for now it's staying the way it is currently as it has grown on me and compared to the rust that was growing on it, the AH-II hopefully should minimize that issue.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I love buying parts painted by previous owners. Nothing matches but it somehow does.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
I love buying parts painted by previous owners. Nothing matches but it somehow does.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/111561/FullSizeRender-2-copy-228104.JPG
View Quote
Skeet skeet skeet.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:59:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GL0CK] [#19]
Double tap
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I might have already posted some of these in this thread. Don't remember.

The rattle can RAL8000 is starting to wear a bit. Thinking about going full WWII African theater and putting some RAL7008 camo accents on there.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#21]
What colour is that?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I might paint my AR like that.  Its kind of a Rhodesia look. 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#23]

My grungy "Tusken Raider" rifle at the range just before, and during, a deluge.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:23:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mac_Fan] [#25]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:27:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Norinco982lover] [#26]
Not an AR but NATO stock takes AR mags.

Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks great. What colors? And Krylon?

@ARGuy87
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Mac_Fan:
Looks great. What colors? And Krylon?
View Quote
Rustoleum camouflage earth brown and deep forest green
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:46:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Mr_Wrong:
http://i.imgur.com/0aOlKqO.jpg
View Quote
I keep coming back to this photo.    Nice job.  

@Mr_Wrong
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:53:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: balane] [#31]
I had a bunch of extra old parts floating around so I put together a beater rifle to have fun with.  Anderson lower, Aero Precision upper.  Thought I'd give spray paint a shot after seeing all the great work in this thread.  So this is my first attempt at a cheapo paint job.

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:14:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jormungandr] [#32]

Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Gorgeous!
I think this is exactly what I'm going to attempt. Nicely done!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Updated photo of my 14.5" pinned CMMG/PSA beater gun. My first AR.

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks awesome!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:11:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chuckinator] [#37]
Mostly Aervoe Coyote, Dark Green, Earth Brown, and a dab of Rustoleum light green and sand.

upload photo on net
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Had to change the purple hue my blem lower had from PSA, Aluma Hyde-II FDE
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I used alumahyde II FDE as well yesterday. Kept making splotches the tip was maybe dirty?

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:44:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LastRites] [#40]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:
I used alumahyde II FDE as well yesterday. Kept making splotches the tip was maybe dirty?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/243189/IMG-5093-257900.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/243189/IMG-5088-257901.jpg
View Quote
Warm can, shake the crap out of for like 10 minutes, warm cleaned parts, test spray on card board until a smooth flow is rolling, spray light coat, turn can upside down and clear the take up line.  Immediately swap nozzles with a can of carb cleaner/brake cleaner and blow out the nozzle, flash paint with heat gun or hair dryer, test spray again until flow seems good, spray next coat.  Repeat above cleaning out of nozzle each and every time bwtn coats and shaking the shit out of it bwtn coats.

Here is my LCP painted with AH and on the last or second to last coat I didn't test well long enough, lesson learned but the result was very even and actually helps when trying to rack the little sucker, it's grown on me and will likely stay that way.  Only coated it due to rust as I rust most everything even with taking extreme care, alien acid sweat.  I sprayed another a chunk of aluminum for another project that came out fine with the same can of black so the first was user error.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#41]

I think i pulled off the camo pattern i was going for pretty well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Yep, that works well!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Tried another

Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Never trust a Mandalorian.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:38:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SPTiger] [#45]
My attempt at Kryptek Typhon using Krylon, Rustoleum and some Testor's aircraft gray paint. I'm not happy with the result, as the Testor's gray paint is too light. That's the color that looks white. You can't see it in the picture but there is a darker gray in the pattern as well. Also, for some dumb ass reason I separated the two receiver halves to paint it so it's not as uniform as I'd like it, not to mention that caused me to run out of stencils and I had to improvise on the scope mount. I used Montactical stencils which are great, but the web part of the stencils were very difficult to handle without getting it stuck on itself. If it weren't for the cost of the stencils I'd strip it off and try again with darker gray. I have Kryptek Typhon seat covers in my truck so that's why I went with that pattern. Oh well. It will probably look better once it gets that worn off look anyway. The colors I used are flat black, satin gray, and aircraft gray.

Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SPTiger:
My attempt at Kryptek Typhon using Krylon, Rustoleum and some Testor's aircraft gray paint. I'm not happy with the result, as the Testor's gray paint is too light. That's the color that looks white. You can't see it in the picture but there is a darker gray in the pattern as well. Also, for some dumb ass reason I separated the two receiver halves to paint it so it's not as uniform as I'd like it, not to mention that caused me to run out of stencils and I had to improvise on the scope mount. I used Montactical stencils which are great, but the web part of the stencils were very difficult to handle without getting it stuck on itself. If it weren't for the cost of the stencils I'd strip it off and try again with darker gray. I have Kryptek Typhon seat covers in my truck so that's why I went with that pattern. Oh well. It will probably look better once it gets that worn off look anyway. The colors I used are flat black, satin gray, and aircraft gray.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41398/Stag1-263329.jpg
View Quote
I think it looks great.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
That looks amazing. I would pay you to do mine any day.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By CastorTroy:
I think it looks great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CastorTroy:
I think it looks great.
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:

That looks amazing. I would pay you to do mine any day.
Thanks for kind words! It sure was a lot harder to do compared to the splotches and blobs camo I normally do!
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:50:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Now come on man, give yourself some credit, that looks real good.  I don't see a lot of people doing the Kryptek pattern because it is a little harder to do and some like it and some don't.  I like it. And yours looks great.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
Are you kidding, it looks awesome.
Page / 81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top