Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2012 9:14:35 AM EDT
And for Post 1,000…

I recently (mostly) completed a project I’ve been working on for a couple years.

The (almost) finished product:

The rifle is a Remington 722 in .300 Savage.  It was sitting in its case in the basement of my old townhouse a few years ago where, unbeknownst to me for quite some time, the coolant line of our A/C system above it was collecting and dripping condensation on the rifle.  By the time I found out, this is what it looked like:

After taking it apart and spending hours and hours with solvent, sandpaper, and steel wool, it looked something like this:

After a couple applications of Easy-Off oven cleaner, the stock looked like this, though a little lighter because it was still drying at this point:

I thought I had pictures of the bedding, but maybe they’re on my old phone, if they do exist…  I coated the surfaces of the receiver that would contact the bedding with some Turtle Wax to keep from gluing my stock to the receiver, then applied epoxy (can’t remember which brand) to the main contact points of the stock.  Then I screwed it back together and let it set up for a day or two.  After that, I took it apart and cleaned all the Turtle Wax off of everything.

Two coats of Minwax ebony stain were applied.  I later sanded the heck out of the barrel channel to make sure it was free-floating and meant to just use a Sharpie (as I am lazy) to touch up the tiny bit of bare wood that was showing on either side of the barrel but didn’t.  You can see it, but it actually kind of gives it some character.  I may go back and do it right at some point, but maybe not.  I used aerosol satin Minwax Helmsman Spar urethane to seal the stock.

I tapped out the old rear iron sight and removed the trigger.  I sent the barrel/receiver to YHM to have the barrel cut down to 19 inches and threaded to fit use of their QD suppressor mounts.  They did good work.

I used matte black Aluma-Hyde II on pretty much all the metal parts.  I even did the bolt, though I had to sand a little off to get it to fit/function.  I still need to add another coat to the barrel, sand/coat the scope mount, and get a new scope, plus a few other small things like get a sling on it, but I’m pretty happy with it.

I loaded up some subsonic test rounds and got some great results with all of them.  All the charge weights I tried stayed subsonic and stable, and the heaviest charge was the most accurate.

All in all, I’m a happy camper with this rifle that used to be a pile of rust
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice reworking sir.  Which suppressor is that ??  Is it the Ti or SS 762?
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn nice job.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice Job!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice reworking sir.  Which suppressor is that ??  Is it the Ti or SS 762?

Thanks all

It's the SS Phantom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top