Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2010 1:09:05 PM EDT
Any one painted a polished barrel/Action? I have an old JC Higgins model 50 30-06 that I want to refinish in a tannish/tactical look. I really do not want to media blast the action or disassemble it from the stock for that matter. It has an FN 98 action and shoots under MOA which is pretty awesome for a Sears distributed gun that is 59 years old. It is in really nice shape, but I've really wanted to try a camo job. Any help would be cool.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
i dont know if your gonna get much of anything to stay on a gun that has no tooth to grab the paint. if you want it to be removable stick to krylon.on the other hand duracoat on a de-greased but not roughed up gun might look nicer but im gonna guess it will be harder to remove than krylon. no rules with this stuff other than cover what you dont want painted. if it were me maybe degrease several times then paint. i dont know what the best de=greaser is for wood though. brake cleaner might eat the clear coat on the wood finish. de- nature alcohol maybe. just do some testing maybe on a not so conspicuous area. be extremely patient and use several light coats with dry time in between.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I really don't care if it is removable. I want it to stay. If I hit it with a really light coat then heat up the barrel by shooting will that help? I paid $200 for the rifle with a nice Leupold. I want to have function not fashion. Nothing more fun than showing up with a gun that looks cool, only to show your buddies it shoots sub MOA and follow up with the fact it was cheaper than their scope rings. I love that kind of funny business. I might just do it anyway.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#3]
i would give duracoat a call. even if you dont use there 2 part coating they can sell you or recommend the proper de-greasing methods especially the wood prep. they make a protective rust proofing cleat coat to go right over blueing without scuffing up the metal.  maybe they can tell you the best way to spray over polished finishes. also heating the barrel up will help to leach out any oils in the pores and cracks and crevices of the metal.maybe degrease then shoot  and re-peat a couple times. if you plan on doing the scope there is a couple threads on how to on this forum. just do a search. the key part is being in the right mind set. dont  rush the project.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Still have not refinished this gun. Anyone else want to weigh-in to the conversation. I'm 50/50 because it is such a classic. I also want to do a tactical paint job pretty badly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top