Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 36
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry if I am skipping things but suffice to say that the somogear can handle the real guns?

Been spending days on end looking at somogear on youtube channels and I can see some are happy.

I have a DBAL D2 and a Peq2a but wanting another for something else.

Thanks for all those buying them and testing them for the rest of us. Wish I could thank you guys another way.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Got the email that my 2nd one should be shipping here soon.  Hopefully try that out on something else.
Little Part 2 review after our little Night Shoot last Saturday.

SomoGear PEQ-15 Review Part 2

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Try it out on a .308 if you have one...
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Sample size of one so I'm only a single data point but I broke my SG PEQ. Literally "I" broke it, it didn't really die on its own.

I was in a hurry and inadvertently grabbed it by the PEQ and gave the suppressor a sharp twist to seat the taper. I twisted too hard (and shouldn't have been holding it by the unit) and torqued it. The housing cracked underneath.
I glued the heck out of it and gave it to a buddy's son for his airsoft gun.
I enjoyed having it and it was my gateway into NV. That said I've been using NV passively for the past few months since swapping to the Unity mount so not much loss in capability.

I'd consider another one if I had a need, but ideally I would want any future WML to have an aluminum housing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve had a $150 dbal d2 for about a year now. Not as powerful as my real D2 but 70% there. It’s been living on a 300blk AR and hasn’t lost zero in the last 500 rounds. Bought it off Ali express. Besides draining the batteries it’s been good to go.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
PTS did a Milspec Monkey (I think it was them) video, that included the BE Meyers licensed MAWL at SHOT. I know its been promised for a while, but maybe this year? Wonder if it'll be WorthAF? Love their MTEK licensed lid.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 1:12:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a second somo peq in December after I heard they improved the detents on the adjustment screws (which they have) and as a result ordered another that I just got today.  I noticed a few additional improvements/changes since the december model that I thought I would share.  Other than it being a black unit this time both are the standard body style with potting and green lasers.

- the fire button no longer sounds like you are clicking a mouse button, not quite sure how to describe it but is more of a low pitched hollow sound now that feels pretty good
- the laser ports are switched again - first peq from early last year had the vis port on the top, December peq has vis switched to the bottom (which matches real peqs from what I could find) and now are back to the top port
- the laser adjustment screws are black rather than shiny metal - not sure what they are doing for the current tan models but the color matching looks sick on the black case
- the battery compartment seems solid and did not observe any spinning when tightening/loosening the cap several times - both of my other ones spin to some extent
- the "serial" number is the larger style font that seems lightly etched like they were doing early last year compared to the smaller/tighter style font that is engraved on the december model

Link Posted: 3/3/2023 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#8]
It will be interesting to see how the new SG NGAL update performs.  If it's GTG, that gives you a metal housing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#9]
So I have an earlier unpotted model that I have been wanting to mod, but I just cant seem to find the time plus I have a bad track records with electronic crap. Just taking a shot here, but is there anybody in this thread that I can send it to that wouldn't mind doing it for some extra cash?
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will be interesting to see how the new SG NGAL update performs.  If it's GTG, that gives you a metal housing.
View Quote

yah I'm curious what the price point will be as that might solve the issues others have seen with the clamp on the peqs breaking, the current pics also show that the illuminator has a wider flood than the peqs is nice
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah for sure if we have a decent IR illum, full metal jacket (ha ha) and under 500 bucks, this might be the one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I asked somogear about their next ngal release, they said they'd have news in the next two months and that price isn't finalized. Seems they're going through testing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#13]
After multiple searches I’ve given up and will ask here. Are the EGTactical NGAL’s any good? $180 and aluminum. Looks good. Are they the same as the SOMO’s? The also have a MAWL. Any feedback?
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Does anybody make a clone Wilcox RAID-X?
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't think EGT is as good as SG.  Both the NGAL and the MAWL have issues, with getting/staying zero'd.  Also I don't think the NGAL has adjustable IR illum, which is sorta the whole point of this exercise.  These lower tier LAMs all have IR lasers; it's getting a workable IR illum that's the key.  That's why the new SG NGAL coming out could be so important.  And why the IS model is 1K.  

The SG PEQ-15 is pretty much there, with a workable IR laser and Illum, but some prefer an aluminum housing (not to mention the reduced footprint).  So their new NGAL would be the logical choice.  I don't think you will find a workable MAWL under a grand.  SG started a project, but then dropped it.  Maybe IS if he expands but probably not any time soon.  Unless they seriously step up, the rest are still toy-grade, which in their defense, is all they were ever designed to be.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:44:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know what the difference is between the IS NGAL Mk2 and mk3?
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Well Somogear had the Peq-15’s back in stock today. Not sure how many they had but when I checked a couple hours ago they had at least 10 total in difference configurations. I checked and they were in stock. Put my phone down for 5 min to finish something and checked back to find only 3 left. I got the Green laser, fde potted which is what I wanted. Could have purchased the UHP activation button model but those sold out as I was wasting time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 12:47:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well Somogear had the Peq-15’s back in stock today. Not sure how many they had but when I checked a couple hours ago they had at least 10 total in difference configurations. I checked and they were in stock. Put my phone down for 5 min to finish something and checked back to find only 3 left. I got the Green laser, fde potted which is what I wanted. Could have purchased the UHP activation button model but those sold out as I was wasting time.
View Quote

Damn checked early AM today and there was nothing. There is nothing now too
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Damn checked early AM today and there was nothing. There is nothing now too
View Quote

Unfortunately, it appears that the flipper crew has figured out that you can move these on eBay for $400-$500 and is now buying them up fast.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, it appears that the flipper crew has figured out that you can move these on eBay for $400-$500 and is now buying them up fast.
View Quote

Only a matter of time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Ah that would explain why they move so fast. At least if I don’t like mine I can flip it.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Had one on a 300 launcher for a good while. Kinda bored with that so let's see if it'll hold up with something bigger

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Has anyone tried one of these on a 12ga?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Had one on a 300 launcher for a good while. Kinda bored with that so let's see if it'll hold up with something bigger

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161977/IMG_20230319_191933_931-2752487.jpg
View Quote
Color me skeptical it'll hold up on a battle rifle. Though, I've been flat out wrong about the quality of these units from the start so let's see
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Color me skeptical it'll hold up on a battle rifle. Though, I've been flat out wrong about the quality of these units from the start so let's see
View Quote

Had another that somewhat survived me breaking a sopmod stock. It still had the same zero but the battery lead broke off so it became intermittent

Im mostly curious if itll flicker while firing. The rest I think will be fine
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#26]
A few uhp available this morning.  Snagged one luckily.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A few uhp available this morning.  Snagged one luckily.
View Quote

Just missed it, alas.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just missed it, alas.
View Quote

14 red/tan/potted on there right now. Go grab one
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine just showed up today. I compared the Somogear to my Holosun LE117G tonight. Just compared green vis lasers. The Holosun on high is just about in the middle of the SG PEQ low and high. On high the SG is very powerful and is visible a long long ways. The Holosun beam appears to be thinner and a more precise looking on target but that also makes it harder to pick up at distances. The SG is very quick to pick up at long distances. The adjusters do click but are not confidence inspiring. If they do their job and hold zero then I don’t really care. Overall I’m impressed with the unit and packaging. If it happens to hold zero on my AR and puts up with mild/moderate use then I will likely purchase several more.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

14 red/tan/potted on there right now. Go grab one
View Quote

Snagged one, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Did you guys see the new switch?  With both Crane and LA23 plugs.  Already OOS of course.  

Yeah that sucks with these guys buying them up and flipping them.  We are buying wholesale, factory-direct.  That's what full retail looks like.  Ironically still a good deal for what you're getting.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#32]
They seem to be restocking this time of night, just picked up two more. Still a few left in stock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Did you guys see the new switch?  With both Crane and LA23 plugs.  Already OOS of course.  
View Quote

Idk how long unity has been making them but just saw it listed on tnvc earlier this week. Was kinda surprisd to see a somo version already too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They seem to be restocking this time of night, just picked up two more. Still a few left in stock.
View Quote

10PM seems to be the restock time. I bought a couple of potted UHPs. Red laser, but who cares, they're for night use anyways.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#35]
There are a few up this morning.

I ordered one of the crane/surefire plugs
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Me too.  Ordered a couple of Crane's now, and will get LA-23's when NGAL's come out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on the quality of those switches.

The switch that came with my peq felt like the plastic was brittle or likely to break off it was banged up.

I get this isn’t HSLD equipment and my expectations need to be calibrated for that but none the less.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Oh yeah you're right; I threw out the old tape switches that came with.  Looks like they upgraded here.  We shall see.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm still a little apprehensive ordering direct from their site for my credit cards sake.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Oh yeah you're right; I threw out the old tape switches that came with.  Looks like they upgraded here.  We shall see.
View Quote

Maybe this is dumb, but I'd rather buy a quality switch, even if I'm using a semi-nice knock-off PEQ. It's one thing to buy an FP-lite Somo when the alternative is buying a FP PEQ-15 involves going to the gray market and paying absurd prices due to questionable regulations. It's another thing to buy a knock-off of a product that's actively in production and being further developed.

I am HOPING that Somo has worked out their zero retention issues. My plan is to mount one PEQ on my 300 BLK SBR, and throw the other on my whitelight rifle with a REIN 2.0.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good to know my impression wasn’t off the mark.

Be interested in your impression of the new switches.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Can someone give a link to read/research these and watch for in stock items? I need a couple IR lasers but I am “ the poors”.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Can someone give a link to read/research these and watch for in stock items? I need a couple IR lasers but I am “ the poors”.
View Quote

Check in at ~10PM EST on their website for restocks. The best place for info about them is right here in this thread, and maybe the NV subreddit. Buy the potted version.

TL;DR: if yours holds zero, it's a great solution until you're ready to pay $1200+ for a DBAL D2 or $1800-$2000 for an FP PEQ-15. If it doesn't, flip it on eBay and buy a Holosun or something.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm still a little apprehensive ordering direct from their site for my credit cards sake.
View Quote

That was my initial thought as well so have always used PayPal instead.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Do they take anything other than paypal? It would seem not
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Regardless of politics, PP is the easy button.  I have bought 3 lasers from them and they ship within a reasonable amount of time, every time.  Their CS is pretty good.  Any issues and they get on it without reservations.  I think you can buy with confidence.

The only issue with them, and this is industry-wide, they give optimistic times on new products, which tend to run weeks behind schedule.  But then they do eventually get it out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Do they take anything other than paypal? It would seem not
View Quote

Look at Privacy.com - US Based company that provides Virtual Credit Cards after you link a Checking Account. The number is locked to one vendor, and you can limit the amounts charged. They also deny and notify if that number is attempted somewhere else (meaning the original vendor is shady or was hacked). They also offer an Anon option for all purchases - everything on your Bank Statement will say (for example) ACME Plumbing...pretty good when banks are coding certain items differently. They offer paid Business versions, which is how they can offer a free consumer version. Been using them for years and 100% satisfied. Heard about them on here: https://inteltechniques.com/podcast.html
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Look at Privacy.com - US Based company that provides Virtual Credit Cards after you link a Checking Account. The number is locked to one vendor, and you can limit the amounts charged. They also deny and notify if that number is attempted somewhere else (meaning the original vendor is shady or was hacked). They also offer an Anon option for all purchases - everything on your Bank Statement will say (for example) ACME Plumbing...pretty good when banks are coding certain items differently. They offer paid Business versions, which is how they can offer a free consumer version. Been using them for years and 100% satisfied. Heard about them on here: https://inteltechniques.com/podcast.html
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion, I have heard of these temp card type of things but it doesn't matter much here as I simply don't use paypal at all. I don't know of a way around a paypal exclusive vendor. Wish I did.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Then there are a couple of airsoft vendors who usually stock them (Paragon?) so you could get on their waiting list and go through them, if they have payment method that works for you.  Just google up somo gear.

Talk about tease, the PEQ-15's were up for a few seconds, twice, but I was too slow!

As far as switcholgy, the tape switches were cheesy, but the new "mod" buttons looks good, and I think the "axon" will be good as well.  You gotta remember, these guys are continually improving, so what you got months ago may not be current standard.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Some may recall I got my paws on a friend's potted unit that is at this point very much so used. It hasn't been "abused" but since I took loan of it ~800 rounds ago I have not been gentle. Not sure on the total round count but he used it for several months while Steiner sat around not fixing his A3.

Welp, looks like it died tonight. It won't fire on any mode. The battery may have died but if so, that was a hard failure for an electrical connection. I'll take it off the rail and swap in a new battery to confirm tomorrow.
Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top