Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag.

This has my interests. Looks well made, and overall a decent product.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
The fact it has a white light is a large selling point for me. I have very limited rail space on my SBR's. Some of them run 5" barrels. Getting a White/IR illuminator and IR laser on them and a switch to control them is TIGHT. I've been looking at the holosun LE321 unit, but the profile and performance on this one looks a lot better.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#3]
For me the white light on board is a big negative unless it can keep pace with lumen and candela of current offerings which I know it can’t.   For me the gold standard of performance for the c1 world is still mawl plus cloud or modlite white light.  Ymmv.

I look forward to changing my standard when a worthy product emerges.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Just got word from them that they're sending out a unit to play with at the long range night shoot we have coming up on Nov 6. #shamelessplug so come on out and take a look!
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just got word from them that they're sending out a unit to play with at the long range night shoot we have coming up on Nov 6. #shamelessplug so come on out and take a look!
View Quote

Awesome.  Video it side by side vs current state of the art c1.  Look forward to seeing it
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For me the white light on board is a big negative unless it can keep pace with lumen and candela of current offerings which I know it can't.   For me the gold standard of performance for the c1 world is still mawl plus cloud or modlite white light.  Ymmv.

View Quote
Agreed. If they could just shitcan the white light (which I assume will be pretty anemic) this could be a real winner. If the laser/illuminator performance can exceed what we get from an atpial or dbal a3, I still think this can be a great option. But the white light isn't adding anything for me outside of bulk and the potential for accidentally firing it when I don't want to.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I am going to play devils advocate here regarding the "white light ND"

How many of you guys worried about this have actually had it happen in a scenario where it meant anything? Even with stacked SF switches zip tied to my rail, I have a hard time accidentally activating the switch for my light. I can't imagine the buttons on this unit are so sensitive that the thing "just goes off". This discussion always seems a bit academic to me.

I also dont think they're looking to unseat the MAWL as the undisputed champion of weapon mounted light/laser tech.

Looking forward to what this might turn into. For now, I'm sticking with my OTAL-C and old SF 660 with an IR head.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For me the white light on board is a big negative unless it can keep pace with lumen and candela of current offerings which I know it can’t.   For me the gold standard of performance for the c1 world is still mawl plus cloud or modlite white light.  Ymmv.

View Quote

Comparing $3500 or more worth of equipment to a $800 device that wasn’t even designed to compete in the same arena is sorta silly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:44:51 AM EDT
[#9]
They appear to have updated the website description to include the white light specs : 380 lumens.

I would be interested to hear from the guys that bought one. They claim the white light will reach 400 yards, but that seems doubtful with 380lm. Unless I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#10]
My CTF-1 blem will be here tomorrow. I'll compare it against an Otal-C with Arisaka 600 KM2-C and DBAL 9007 with Arisaka 600 E2HT. I'm optimistic, and I really like the simplicity. No ports? Cool I don't have to worry about sending in my $500-$800 laser for RMA after a $120 tape switch destroys it.

I've been waiting on Z-Bolt to finally release their MFAL but the launch date seems to keep moving further away.

https://www.z-bolt.com/civilian-legal-fda-class-1.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They appear to have updated the website description to include the white light specs : 380 lumens.

I would be interested to hear from the guys that bought one. They claim the white light will reach 400 yards, but that seems doubtful with 380lm. Unless I'm missing something.
View Quote

Lumens are not a be all end all measurement.

Having said that… that does seem anemic.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Having said that that does seem anemic.
View Quote
I mean, i get it, there is stuff like candela to also consider, but I don't think you're getting 400 yards out of 380 lumens no matter how you do the math

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I mean, i get it, there is stuff like candela to also consider, but I don't think you're getting 400 yards out of 380 lumens no matter how you do the math

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having said that that does seem anemic.

Agreed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My CTF-1 blem will be here tomorrow. I'll compare it against an Otal-C with Arisaka 600 KM2-C and DBAL 9007 with Arisaka 600 E2HT. I'm optimistic, and I really like the simplicity. No ports? Cool I don't have to worry about sending in my $500-$800 laser for RMA after a $120 tape switch destroys it.

I've been waiting on Z-Bolt to finally release their MFAL but the launch date seems to keep moving further away.

View Quote

I’d like to try one of those too!
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is there a target prices point on any of these. Looks interesting
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I e-mailed them in June and was told the TL series would be in the same range, or slightly lower, than the DBAL. I was also told the IR illuminator would be a big improvement over the DBAL. If I remember correctly I think it was competing with the D2 illuminator...
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#17]
My early feedback:  

1.  I hope better white heads come out.
2.  Like the formfactor and builtin switches for some of the shorter weapons I deal with.  Its pretty damn hard to find room for all the shit you could use on the Sig Rattler for example.
3.  I'll handle white light ND's with a butler creek.  
4.  Higher input voltage ratings would rock.  So you can use rechargeables.
5.  A nice green laser addon wouldn't suck.  
6.  Scout head compat would rock.  

-In answer to an earlier poster, white light nd's happen.  I have only seen a tube burned once, but after that I'm always more careful.  

Dude set his nods down in the back of the truck and tossed in his rifle.  Then he closed the hatch and something fell over and his white light came on, and he didn't have the right switch setting for his PVS-15's.  He left it that way for 3 hours.  When it was over his PVS-15's had GIANT dots in them from the white light.  They didn't come out in the darkened gunsafe either.  

I do think its strange they chose sintered metal for the production method.  I think companies used to use it to get a product to market and then move on to another method that requires quantity to get a good price.  It does make changes super easy though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I will echo what everyone else has said regarding the fact that they need to ditch the visible light.  I will add as I believe a few others have already that a visible laser that is slaved to the IR for easy day light zeroing and daytime reps with a laser is pretty important to me as well.

Also, this doesn't appear to be able to accept any tape switches, am I right?   That kind of sucks. Would like the ability to put a tape switch on it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I don’t agree with ditching the vis light.   There are plenty of packages out there with IR/ILLUm and very few all in solutions.  

None of the all-in units seem to be this compact.  

I wouldn’t mind a second model though that was IR only.  

In a similar vein though, I highly wish the TLR-VIR ii took tape switches

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#20]
The onboard buttons look way too small to me too.

Look at how big the ANTPIAL button is compared to those two tiny things.  What about working it with gloves on? Gets cold in my State half the year, we wear gloves a lot especially at night when it's freezing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looking forward to it. I agree with others that the white light is the most questionable part, it's performance will make or break it for me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

380 lumens? Even if it has high candela that's terrible.

Cut the unit in half, ditch the white light add viz laser aka knockoff mawl and I'd buy it yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Demo unit showed up this evening, and so far so good. Nice wide IR beam with a decent hotter center. Definitely can see the CQB type application for it as the developer explained. Not like a tightly zoomed illuminator, more like other LED heads like a juiced up vampire. I was worried the illuminator would wash out the dot up close but it really didn’t at all.
Folks might need to be OK with a less than 3hr runtime on the vis head if they want more power. I see it more as a closer in night gun sorta thing where you’d want to stay dark and under NV, and if you really need to pop some vis light onto something to check color or whatever you might be peeking under your goggles for. Guys wanting a rifle setup that gives them vis light out to a few hundred yards should look elsewhere, but I’m not really sure how often that comes up… just put your goggles on and sneak up closer ¯\_(?)_/¯
The form factor is super sleek on the handful of rifles I bolted it onto. Real tight down in the notches of quadrail but at the same time not too tight to interfere with a suppressor mounted real tight to it. Very nice package on a CP33 or other micro SBR/pistol, was very slick there. Definitely going to need to train to use the right button. The two are definitely separated, but there’s no white light lockout or anything if you think you’ll mess up and do a vis ND. The heads both unscrewed with some pressure, but are just the reflectors. Actual emitters/circuits remain screwed and soldered in place.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Demo unit showed up this evening, and so far so good. Nice wide IR beam with a decent hotter center. Definitely can see the CQB type application for it as the developer explained. Not like a tightly zoomed illuminator, more like other LED heads like a juiced up vampire. I was worried the illuminator would wash out the dot up close but it really didn’t at all.
Folks might need to be OK with a less than 3hr runtime on the vis head if they want more power. I see it more as a closer in night gun sorta thing where you’d want to stay dark and under NV, and if you really need to pop some vis light onto something to check color or whatever you might be peeking under your goggles for. Guys wanting a rifle setup that gives them vis light out to a few hundred yards should look elsewhere, but I’m not really sure how often that comes up… just put your goggles on and sneak up closer ¯\_(?)_/¯
The form factor is super sleek on the handful of rifles I bolted it onto. Real tight down in the notches of quadrail but at the same time not too tight to interfere with a suppressor mounted real tight to it. Very nice package on a CP33 or other micro SBR/pistol, was very slick there. Definitely going to need to train to use the right button. The two are definitely separated, but there’s no white light lockout or anything if you think you’ll mess up and do a vis ND. The heads both unscrewed with some pressure, but are just the reflectors. Actual emitters/circuits remain screwed and soldered in place.
View Quote

Thanks for your write up. The blem models were oos by time I wanted to place an order so I got it at full msrp pricing of theirs, mine should arrive next week. I personally wanted an all in one unit with vis and ir pointer/illuminator for a lighter setup and I think this unit will do what I want.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you get a chance to stretch the legs on the illuminator?
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Demo unit showed up this evening, and so far so good. Nice wide IR beam with a decent hotter center. Definitely can see the CQB type application for it as the developer explained. Not like a tightly zoomed illuminator, more like other LED heads like a juiced up vampire. I was worried the illuminator would wash out the dot up close but it really didn't at all.
Folks might need to be OK with a less than 3hr runtime on the vis head if they want more power. I see it more as a closer in night gun sorta thing where you'd want to stay dark and under NV, and if you really need to pop some vis light onto something to check color or whatever you might be peeking under your goggles for. Guys wanting a rifle setup that gives them vis light out to a few hundred yards should look elsewhere, but I'm not really sure how often that comes up just put your goggles on and sneak up closer \_()_/
The form factor is super sleek on the handful of rifles I bolted it onto. Real tight down in the notches of quadrail but at the same time not too tight to interfere with a suppressor mounted real tight to it. Very nice package on a CP33 or other micro SBR/pistol, was very slick there. Definitely going to need to train to use the right button. The two are definitely separated, but there's no white light lockout or anything if you think you'll mess up and do a vis ND. The heads both unscrewed with some pressure, but are just the reflectors. Actual emitters/circuits remain screwed and soldered in place.
View Quote
Sounds like it fits more into the role of compact solution for shorter range weapons.

In which case the tlr VIR2 seems to have about the same feature set and limitations (except you won't get white light nd) for a third of the price and even more compact.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Did you get a chance to stretch the legs on the illuminator?
View Quote

Nope, that’s next week at the 1000yd range. But… that’s not the application for this. Just save up 3.5x the cost of one of these and get a MAWL!
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 1:50:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I am seriously thinking about getting a couple of these. My wife and I are NV noobs anyway. Our pvs 14's make us happy with their illuminator. If this does even better, we will be plenty happy. I honestly think I'll put in an order tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 2:24:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 2:25:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sounds like it fits more into the role of compact solution for shorter range weapons.

In which case the tlr VIR2 seems to have about the same feature set and limitations (except you won't get white light nd) for a third of the price and even more compact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Demo unit showed up this evening, and so far so good. Nice wide IR beam with a decent hotter center. Definitely can see the CQB type application for it as the developer explained. Not like a tightly zoomed illuminator, more like other LED heads like a juiced up vampire. I was worried the illuminator would wash out the dot up close but it really didn't at all.
Folks might need to be OK with a less than 3hr runtime on the vis head if they want more power. I see it more as a closer in night gun sorta thing where you'd want to stay dark and under NV, and if you really need to pop some vis light onto something to check color or whatever you might be peeking under your goggles for. Guys wanting a rifle setup that gives them vis light out to a few hundred yards should look elsewhere, but I'm not really sure how often that comes up just put your goggles on and sneak up closer \_()_/
The form factor is super sleek on the handful of rifles I bolted it onto. Real tight down in the notches of quadrail but at the same time not too tight to interfere with a suppressor mounted real tight to it. Very nice package on a CP33 or other micro SBR/pistol, was very slick there. Definitely going to need to train to use the right button. The two are definitely separated, but there's no white light lockout or anything if you think you'll mess up and do a vis ND. The heads both unscrewed with some pressure, but are just the reflectors. Actual emitters/circuits remain screwed and soldered in place.

What distance is the tlr VIR2 good for on IR Illum setting?
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#31]
This seems ideal for compact guns like the Rattler or Honey Badger without the SD rail, and certainly for a 5" barrel or a PCC it will work in all engagement envelopes.

I do, however, think that having a unified white light is great. That being said, I really wish they had made them compatible with industry standard heads instead of soldering in the emiters and letting you change lenses only.

As somebody else said, I think they should look at supporting higher input voltages so you could use more modern battery tech.

Basically, what I'm saying is make it a dual fuel battery design, and replace the white light with a DF compatible socket.

I would also prefer a green vis laser option as well, and a simple switch to set laser only mode would be nice.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nope, that’s next week at the 1000yd range. But… that’s not the application for this. Just save up 3.5x the cost of one of these and get a MAWL!
View Quote

Oh. I thought someone said the illuminator would reach approximately 400 yards.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#33]
similar units with additional features cost significantly more.

A Perst-2 is $1950.

I run a Perst-3 which is $1400. I might pick one of these up for a secondary gun or a SMG/PCC where I don't have as much space and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Visible laser is really only good for zeroing. They have other niche applications but not a deal-breaker for $700.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I just placed my order for two of these.  Might take a bit to get here, but I will definitely fool around with them as soon as I get them in and see about posting pics and results here.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Alright I finally received my blem CTF-1. Performance pictures will have to wait til later, but I took a few minutes to run vis light comparisons. Initial vis light test at 25 feet puts the CTF-1 pretty low on the list... even below the TLR VIR II I forgot I had. Hopefully better conditions and testing will redeem the CTF-1.

For now, I'd gladly sacrifice a few more dollars and battery life for a more powerful vis light. That being said, it fits pretty nicely on my cz scorpion so that's where it'll stay for now.

https://imgur.com/a/AvyHwPn

The good - it is certainly compact, distinguishing vis vs IR activation seems intuitive enough, and swapping batteries while mounted is pretty easy

The bad - vis light performance is probably as bad as you're expecting and now I need a longer charging handle for my scorpion

The ugly - the IR head doesn't fit flush because the lip of the body is warped

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Alright I finally received my blem CTF-1. Performance pictures will have to wait til later, but I took a few minutes to run vis light comparisons. Initial vis light test at 25 feet puts the CTF-1 pretty low on the list... even below the TLR VIR II I forgot I had. Hopefully better conditions and testing will redeem the CTF-1.

For now, I'd gladly sacrifice a few more dollars and battery life for a more powerful vis light. That being said, it fits pretty nicely on my cz scorpion so that's where it'll stay for now.

https://imgur.com/a/AvyHwPn

The good - it is certainly compact, distinguishing vis vs IR activation seems intuitive enough, and swapping batteries while mounted is pretty easy

The bad - vis light performance is probably as bad as you're expecting and now I need a longer charging handle for my scorpion

View Quote

Thanks for the honest opinion. Did you get to try out the IR output?

I’ll post some of your pics.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ouch. We've gotten spoiled by PSA and BCM "blems" where the blem is indiscernible. Or other companies where blem means cosmetic blemish. But I guess when these guys say blem they really mean it. Lol.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll join the crowd of people that wished this didn't have the white light and was more a simplified mawl form factor. Missed it by that much. People don't want your integrated white light when there are plenty of well vetted light options already out there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'll join the crowd of people that wished this didn't have the white light and was more a simplified mawl form factor. Missed it by that much. People don't want your integrated white light when there are plenty of well vetted light options already out there.
View Quote

Shoot, if made differently, they could have one side close range IR illum with a lot of spill tied into the IR laser and one side LR IR illum tied into an IR laser.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Shoot, if made differently, they could have one side close range IR illum with a lot of spill tied into the IR laser and one side LR IR illum tied into an IR laser.
View Quote

Exactly. It's almost like if they had taken 5 minutes to talk to the entire generation of PEQ-16 users they could have been talked outta the anemic white light.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#41]

TL;DR my CTF-1 is a really expensive TLR VIR II. The CTF-1 is definitely better than the TLR VIR II

Compared the DBAL 9007, TLR VIR II, and CTF-1 between 25-150yds with a fair amount of ambient light around.

IR Laser: DBAL wins. TLR VIR II and CTF-1 are a distant tie.

IR Illuminator: DBAL seemed to narrowly win on throw but the CTF-1 and TLR VIR II have far better flood. The CTF-1 seems to barely edge out the TLR VIR II on throw/flood but all of them seem to be limited to less than 100yds.
Second test with far less ambient light put the CTF-1 on par with KM2-C illuminator.

Vis Light: CTF-1... barely. It's nearly identical to the TLR VIR II in throw/flood. I didn't bother testing anything more powerful than the TLR VIR II here like the KM2-C or E2HT. Wouldn't have been fair...
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

TL;DR my CTF-1 is a really expensive TLR VIR II. So... I apologize in advance I didn't bother to take pictures of the IR performance.

Compared the DBAL 9007, TLR VIR II, and CTF-1 between 25-150yds with a fair amount of ambient light around.

IR Laser: DBAL wins. TLR VIR II is a distant second, and CTF-1 is dead last - at closer ranges (25-50yds) they're fairly comparable but past 100 the TLR VIR II and CTF-1 start to suck.

IR Illuminator: DBAL seemed to narrowly win on throw but the CTF-1 and TLR VIR II have far better flood. The CTF-1 seems to barely edge out the TLR VIR II on throw/flood but all of them seem to be limited to less than 100yds.

Vis Light: CTF-1... barely. Again, it's nearly identical to the TLR VIR II in throw/flood. I didn't bother testing anything more powerful than the TLR VIR II here like the KM2-C or E2HT. Wouldn't have been fair...

Maybe my CTF-1 is a dud? Seeing as how I only paid $275 for my TLR VIR II, I think Phantom Hill has a lot of work to do...
View Quote
Credit to them for giving it a go - more options aew always a good thing. But this seems like a swing and a miss...Hopefully they'll get some of this feedback and work to improve it.

Ditch the white light, stick a crane input on the body, give us better IR performance. If they can do that I'm fine with paying $1k for it. Otherwise may as well stick with a 9007 or buy a Perst if you need to lase Mars.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 2:19:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

TL;DR my CTF-1 is a really expensive TLR VIR II. So... I apologize in advance I didn't bother to take pictures of the IR performance.

IR Laser: DBAL wins. TLR VIR II is a distant second, and CTF-1 is dead last - at closer ranges (25-50yds) they're fairly comparable but past 100 the TLR VIR II and CTF-1 start to suck.

Vis Light: CTF-1... barely. Again, it's nearly identical to the TLR VIR II in throw/flood. I didn't bother testing anything more powerful than the TLR VIR II here like the KM2-C or E2HT. Wouldn't have been fair...

Maybe my CTF-1 is a dud? Seeing as how I only paid $275 for my TLR VIR II, I think Phantom Hill has a lot of work to do...
View Quote
Dang. And the VIR2 is way smaller, lighter, and cheaper, takes one battery, has white light lock out, etc

The ctf does look cooler though!

The videos they released showed way better ir performance than my VIR2. What happened there?
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#44]
That's disappointing I don't understand why lights/lasers is such a train wreck. A streamlight rm2 is 1000 lumens with a decent throw. Low profile with integrated pic mount, tail switch, plug for a remote switch it comes with, you can lock it out by turning the bezel, and cost 150$. They would have been better off chopping off the white side of this thing and adding a pic rail for one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Honestly if Crimson Trace would just release an IR version of their 301 and it didn't suck, it would be what everyone is describing in this thread. Small, compact, cheap, onboard fire button or remote switch. Even if it kind of did suck and was basically a VIR2 in performance, it would be interesting because of the form factor and remote switch capability since it doesn't cost much more than the VIR2.

Link Posted: 10/31/2021 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
similar units with additional features cost significantly more.

A Perst-2 is $1950.

I run a Perst-3 which is $1400. I might pick one of these up for a secondary gun or a SMG/PCC where I don't have as much space and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Visible laser is really only good for zeroing. They have other niche applications but not a deal-breaker for $700.
View Quote

That's not a valid comparison though. The Perst has laser based illuminators. LED based illuminators are significantly cheaper to manufacture.

Link Posted: 11/2/2021 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Dang. And the VIR2 is way smaller, lighter, and cheaper, takes one battery, has white light lock out, etc

The ctf does look cooler though!

The videos they released showed way better ir performance than my VIR2. What happened there?
View Quote

So I sent Mike at Phantom Hill an e-mail with a few questions. First, he confirmed I shouldn't expect compromised weather resistance due to the blems' gaps between body and head. Next I casually inquired about expected performance as my CTF-1 performs nearly the same as my TLR VIR II. He actually has his own TLR VIR II and claimed the IR emitter on the CTF-1 should be WAY more powerful. I'll try to do some more testing tonight to see if both my CTF-1 and TLR VIR II perform the same in all conditions and follow up with him tomorrow. He promised to swap out the unit if there is an issue with it being underpowered.

I didn't get an answer to my last question on whether they have any plans of releasing a Railscale LEAF'ish top cover...
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the opinion and info!
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I received the CTF-1 today and waited until nightfall to do a comparison of the CTF-1 and the TLR-VIR-II. I have a L3 WP filmless PVS-14 and used a ANVRS MK3 to record through my PVS-14.
Here is the comparison video I recorded: CTR-1 compared to TLR-VIR-II the audio might be low so you might want to turn up your volume, I keep messing up the TLR-VIR-II's model and called it "TLR-2".
I think people saying the performance is on par with the TLR-VIR-II is not true at all, both of the IR laser is the same at least the distance I was looking at in the video: 100-200yds. The CTF-1's illuminator is certainly more focus and powerful than the TLR-VIR-II.
Vis white light on both are on par though and not intended for long range usage imo.
I think its not bad at all, maybe a little to expensive for its performance but I think its on par with Holosun's offering at least from what I recall from my friend's Holosun LG321. I'm going to keep it on an AR that is not going to take shots beyond 100yds.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thanks for the opinion and info!
View Quote

Guys, I apologize, I was wrong. So, I might be retarded. I ran another test tonight suspecting ambient light tainted the first one and didn't do the CTF-1 justice. I threw a cap on my PVS-14 to drown out the light and under these conditions it was no contest. CTF-1 dominated the TLR VIR II and the Dbal 9007 IR illuminators so I tested it against the KM2-C head. KM2-C had a noticeable, but slight, hot spot advantage but the consistent flood from the CTF-1 made it a tough call. I think I preferred the CTF-1 illuminator over the KM2-C but more testing required. I'm not sure how much of a valid test the cap was, but it was enough to totally change my opinion of the CTF-1 illuminator.

Also, Mike from Phantom Hill was awesome enough to take a video of the CTF-1 and TLR VIR II comparing them. I can ask him to upload it to the Phantom Hill youtube channel but him and I both agree it doesn't quite do the CTF-1 justice.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top