Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now that you've had the nox for a bit whats your thoughts on breach vrs nox? I know the nox is better in just about every way but costs 2.5x as much. For someone who's on a bit of a budget and doesn't care about weapon mount is the breach a viable alternative or is it all about saving up for a nox?
View Quote

Eh, it's really tough to say. Depends on the budget, depends on how much use it's going to get. The Breach has two pluses for me, it's a little smaller and lighter, and it can record video internally. Nox wins in every other way. But does it win by $3500, that's going to depend too much on everyone's budget, use, and priorities.

I'm going to be selling my Breach. I'd keep it as a spare scanner but the Nox was already probably a little more than I should have spent right now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@GreenMushroom Thank you for your kind words.  I'm really glad you like your NOX and put up very informative reviews. Thank you!

Focus stiffness.  I suppose we used the wrong "focus group" when we were setting up the tightness of the objective lens focus.  Unfortunately, we did not include any girls when we were testing our objective lenses, and I think that all the guys involved in the prototype testing have strong grips.  I used to climb a lot, and even though I have not done this in years and my grip is not what it used to be, I would still vote for a slightly stiffer grip :-)  This being said, you are not the first person complaining to us about the objective lens focus stiffness, and we'll take a good look at it in the future.  However, building a one-off unit with a looser objective lens presents significant manufacturing and logistical problems.  Sorry.  Quite a few parts determine the stiffness of the objective lens focus, + the design verification and exhaustive unit testing will have to be done before we can roll in a change like that.  On a positive note, we observed that the objective lens loses up slightly after a bit of use.  Your wife may find this helpful.
View Quote

That's kind of been my observation after just a week. I'm not sure if I've just gotten used to it or if it is indeed loosening slightly.

Like I said in a post last night, I slapped a Butler Creek size 07 cap on the objective last night based on another poster's recommendation. I thought for sure it would just slip when turned with that cap on and I'd have to pop the cap to focus, but so far that's not the case. I'm able to adjust the focus by grabbing the cap.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#8]
A few pics from today, all taken during daylight hours. Wish I'd have taken some visible light pics of some of these scenes for comparison now. I was impressed with how some of them turned out.

Looking down a trail in the woods, black hot:

Same view, white hot:

Other direction, looking out toward a field, black hot:

Same, white hot:

Open field along an old fence line. That's the dog in front of me. Sheep are the black signatures way out in the distance.

Sheep and chickens close range, black hot:

Same, white hot:

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:34:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Eta guy over on the hide taught my how to tune my coti and its a very useful piece of kit now.
View Quote

Not to derail the thread more, but would you have a link to COTI tuning? Curious how much better it could get.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#13]
@PA452 - really enjoyed the comparo with the Breach, in many respects the photos highlighted the distinction between something used for threat detection and something thats used for PID.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@PA452 - really enjoyed the comparo with the Breach, in many respects the photos highlighted the distinction between something used for threat detection and something thats used for PID.
View Quote

Glad you liked them. I've actually been meaning to take some more comparisons like that between the two while I have the Breach in hand. Thought that they might be useful for anyone shopping for either.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:44:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Glad you liked them. I've actually been meaning to take some more comparisons like that between the two while I have the Breach in hand. Thought that they might be useful for anyone shopping for either.
View Quote

Yes thats a great idea :)  I copied them and put them side by side with the tech specs.  

I really like these photos as they also highlight the importance of FOV in built up areas.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's some more comparison shots from tonight. This was at dusk, pretty near dark. Mid to low 70s. Pretty stark difference between the two.

Deer at about 75 yards or so.

Breach:

Nox:

Deer at about 250 yards. To be fair here, they were in a slightly better position when I took the pic with the Nox. I think only one was visible when I took the pic with the Breach.

Breach:

Nox:

Truck, close range.

Breach:

This is a duck hiding in the brush at the edge of a pond, about 30 yards away. I wouldn't have known it was a duck but I saw them land there at dusk.

Breach:

Nox:

Deer, thinking at least 120 yards.

Breach:

Nox:

One more from that same spot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Once again, great images - is there any particular reason why you don't change to "black hot" at night time.  For me personally, it seems to work better.  Also, I find the images seem much sharper when looking through the view finder (much greater pixel density).

I have put the deer - distance images into one frame of reference
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:59:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Once again, great images - is there any particular reason why you don't change to "black hot" at night time.  For me personally, it seems to work better.  Also, I find the images seem much sharper when looking through the view finder (much greater pixel density).
View Quote

I use both, but I personally prefer white hot for detection. But I agree that black hot tends to look better for generally viewing a landscape.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here's some more comparison shots from tonight. This was at dusk, pretty near dark. Mid to low 70s. Pretty stark difference between the two.

Deer at about 75 yards or so.

Breach:
https://i.imgur.com/aLG1rUE.jpg

Nox:
https://i.imgur.com/ul2TXlL.png

Deer at about 250 yards. To be fair here, they were in a slightly better position when I took the pic with the Nox. I think only one was visible when I took the pic with the Breach.

Breach:
https://i.imgur.com/ML0KrCd.jpg

Nox:
https://i.imgur.com/paZoyNl.png

Truck, close range.

Breach:
https://i.imgur.com/NuE4phT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XEAlzBt.png

This is a duck hiding in the brush at the edge of a pond, about 30 yards away. I wouldn't have known it was a duck but I saw them land there at dusk.

Breach:
https://i.imgur.com/ERxYNfE.jpg

Nox:
https://i.imgur.com/A5undJw.png

Deer, thinking at least 120 yards.

Breach:
https://i.imgur.com/ixzNizS.jpg

Nox:
https://i.imgur.com/ffz9IAz.png

One more from that same spot.
https://i.imgur.com/Xwotwly.png
View Quote

I cannot imagine seeing these comparisons and thinking "Yeah, I'll get the Breach."
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I cannot imagine seeing these comparisons and thinking "Yeah, I'll get the Breach."
View Quote

Gotta bear in mind there's a pretty significant price disparity though too. Just depends on your budget and priorities. But if the Nox price tag is in the budget, no doubt about it.

ETA: Back when I first got my Breach, my only other thermal experience was a $1000 ThermApp device. I made a bunch of comparison pics then as well. Some of those were interesting. There were cases where I actually preferred the image from the ThermApp. But there were other cases, such as higher humidity, where the Breach blew the ThermApp away. As it should, it cost another $1400. Of course the ThermApp was a bit of a fragile system though, not something I'd want to take hunting.

Here's a case where I felt my ThermApp was actually more impressive than the Breach.
ThermApp:

Breach:

Same here. I think that was a deer at a salt block in the center along the field edge, about 175 yards out.

ThermApp:

Breach:

Here's a case where the Breach won handily. This was a very humid night, deer at maybe 50-60 yards.

ThermApp:

Breach:
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Ikia6LR.jpg

I have put the deer - distance images into one frame of reference
View Quote

Just saw the image compilation you put together there, nicely done.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:39:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:44:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Made it out for a little solo fusion practice tonight with two goals. To try out new sidewinder helmet light and decide if the outline modes were good for anything. The flashlight seems very nice so far with lots of adjustability in beam direction. I actually used the blue light on its lowest setting to lock the gate up and it makes complicated tasks quite easy. Used the ir intermittently and on the higher settings I think will make a good nav light for close focus over ruff terrain. I'll have to play with it more and decide if I want one on the other side as well or maybe something with more throw.

I'm not sure what the black outline is good for other than entertainment. Cartoon clown dog is pretty entertaining however. The white outline I'm not so quick to discard. So far I've almost exclusively used black hot for fusion. The white outline to my surprise seems like the easiest to fusion with especially in low light. I also finally tracked down and identified my local protagonist a racoon who lives down in the creek bottom. I had seen it from the upper story of the house before with the nox and had caught glimpses of it with my coti but wasn't sure what it was. The dog got it moving and it crawled by us about ten yards off the trail. The white outline was very good at picking up and maintaining the shape through thick brush. This was a pretty short trip and I will play with it more this weekend. I was using the white outline for navigation and switching to white hot to scan while stationary and was happy with this combination.
View Quote

I'm not set up to wear the Nox, I might try wearing the -14 and just holding the Nox up to my other eye to see if it's something I'm interested in.

What mount do you use? Any pics of your setup?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:07:02 AM EDT
[#26]
No prob. Thanks for listing out the mounts. I might have to look into that.

On the subject of taking pics with the Nox, you only need to download that application to download them from the device. In case you'd want to be able to, you don't need that application at all to take pics and view through the Nox. But you do have to enable photo-taking in the Nox menu system, it's under System Settings. Once enabled, you just take photos using the up button on the side keypad.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:55:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So I've been meaning to get one of those memberships. Do the higher level ones allow you to upload pics and/or video directly to the site? I'm not really into having my pics on 3rd party sites considering the content. Got some still shots of a deer last night saved on the nox
View Quote

Offhand without looking, I'm not sure if it's available with all membership levels or just Gold and up, but I seem to be able to host pics on ARF using the "Attach Image" link at the bottom of the page when typing a post. That said I've never used it before, I just host images on IMGUR.

If you'd want I could post your pics for you if you can email them to me. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Made it out for a couple hours last night and used my nox mostly on white outline bridged with my 14. I think this is the way for navigation at least for me. If I spot something interesting I switch to white hot and use zoom while stationary. We hiked through a large campground that is full of people and was shocked by the number of rodents. I was able to walk right up to them as I would guess they're used to freezing and not being seen in the dark.

This adds to my theory that most animals do not see as well in the dark as people believe but rather navigate using other senses. I have approached deer quite closely as long as I'm down wind as well as other small animals. This theory probably doesn't apply to predators like kitties so I will treat those with caution if I encounter.
View Quote

I concur with what you said about animals in the dark.  I have walked very close to deer while downwind.  They hear me and know I'm there, but unsure of what I am.  I can usually walk much closer if I mimic the walking sounds of a non predator, poking around in the brush.  Start making sneaky stalking footsteps and they're off and running.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#33]
@PA452 - what enhancement settings was your Breach on - the reason I ask is the Breach images have that slightly blurred look that I find you get on the default setting or indoor setting.  Moving to the outdoor setting makes quite a bit of difference (if the thermal contrast is there) - tends to be crisper.  Also, you can ramp up the gain by a significant amount too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@PA452 - what enhancement settings was your Breach on - the reason I ask is the Breach images have that slightly blurred look that I find you get on the default setting or indoor setting.  Moving to the outdoor setting makes quite a bit of difference (if the thermal contrast is there) - tends to be crisper.  Also, you can ramp up the gain by a significant amount too.
View Quote

I think all of the Breach pics I've posted in this thread have been on the Sky/Sea preset, which I find is pretty similar to Outdoors. I've always liked what I got the most with that. Admittedly I'm too lazy to play with the settings much beyond that. I used to when I first got it, but over time I got away from it and just use the standard presets.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes, I see where you are coming from - I tend run a modified outdoor setting for outdoors e.g. I have the gain and sharpness turned up - works for my eyes, but everyone is different in this regard.  I have to say the buttons on the Breach are a PITA and tend to make one less inclined to fiddle with the settings.

The NOX is looking good thats for sure.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yes, I see where you are coming from - I tend run a modified outdoor setting for outdoors e.g. I have the gain and sharpness turned up - works for my eyes, but everyone is different in this regard.  I have to say the buttons on the Breach are a PITA and tend to make one less inclined to fiddle with the settings.

The NOX is looking good thats for sure.
View Quote

Completely agree, I never liked those buttons or the menus on the Breach. And you're right, it's kept me from wanting to mess with settings much.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:12:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 5:51:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

We'll have to think about this.  Thanks!
View Quote

Yes, please do that.

I’m surprised it’s not that way originally. Hopefully that can be completed with a software update on the one I use.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:51:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Green what was the vortex neck strap you were using and how did you have it attached. Still waiting for the nox 35 to arrive.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top