BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Link

ETA: because not everyone is going to read the whole damn thing. Note that the binocular & monocular used was a -5 (page 17) so take that FWIW as it relates to 2021 tech
View Quote

A binocular is a binocular, a bi-ocular is a bi-ocular, a monocular is a monocular - the physics nor the impacts of the physics on physiology don't change.  

What does this mean - it means the basic outcomes from the old test hold today as they did then.   BTW you provided the wrong link.  

The reference I used is contained in the literature review by Dyer, J.L. and Young, K. M.  (1998) Night vision goggle research and training issues for ground forces: A literature review.  United States Army research Institute for the behavioral and social sciences.  P.74.  

The specific document of interest is Grayson-Knopp, V., Torgerson, W., Sipers, D., Bender, E and Merritt, J.  (1995) A comparison of monocular, biocular, and binocular night vision goggles for traversing off-road terrain on foot.  Army research laboratory,  P.47.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#3]
No worries - the reality is, as everyone knows - binos are the way to go everything else is a stop gap position on the journey to binos.

I find the dislike for 7s a little overstated - they are still a good tool if they have a good tube.  If the choice was a 7 with a really good tube Vs a 14 with a poor tube I would take the 7, particularly if it was substantially cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Everybody is different.

I've failed the normal vision depth perception test everything I took it and can still drive with no problem.  There are enough clues that allow a person to gauge realitive distances based on size, amount of road before object and relative motion of the objects as you move.

So to me the big "disadvantage" of the PVS-7 doesn't apply.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#6]
My first NVD was a PVS-7 (OMNI V) and I loved it. WHat I loved more was the price, I built it for $1k. I did not suddenly hunger for a PVS-14. If you get a PVS-14, you'll want another one to bridge so you have duals. I'd rather have a PVS-7 with a WP OMNI VIII FOM 2600 tube than bridged PVS-14's with GP OMNI VI FOM 1800. You'll have a far superior image with the seven and it'll still be cheaper. I just don't understand the hate on sevens. Duals with one tube just makes sense to me. But I'm trying to avoid dropping $5k when I can get away with dropping $2k. Makes sense when you don't use them for work and your life isn't on the line except for SHTF situations. Basically when your an amateur. Especially a newbie amateur. And this equipment retains resale value like nothing else I've ever seen.

Get what fits your needs and budget. Don't let anyone shame you into spending thousands more than you need to spend for marginal gains that mean nothing to you.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top