Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
There aren’t many pulsars available right now but I’ve started seeing a few trickle onto GB at retail prices. But they aren’t staying listed very long.

It looks like the gen 2 thermion are being released but they dropped the Xp38 from the lineup which I though was their best bang for the buck.  640x480 with a 1.5 base mag and $4300

The XP50 goes for ~$5k

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@click2boom your pm box is full
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have distributor pricing with some of the less expensive brands

thx
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Does night goggles have a rep here?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the TNVC guys will help with night goggles. I personally dealt with Tom Austin and he was good to go.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does night goggles have a rep here?
View Quote
My name is Korey Kirschenmann and I am Prostaff for Night Goggles. What can I help you with?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have distributor pricing with some of the less expensive brands

@HiramRanger thanks,
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Ordered a Hogster 25mm Friday and got a ship notice today. Im impressed with Night Goggles Inc.

I went with the 25 for the wider FOV. Scanning is more important to me.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ordered a Hogster 25mm Friday and got a ship notice today. Im impressed with Night Goggles Inc.

View Quote

That was why I got the Rattler 25
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. $1995 to my door. I’m very impressed so far.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:50:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ouch, I paid $1800.

Night Vision Guys will price match HCC Tactical which has a 10% off code HCCWARRIOR.

Still a steal at $2k, but if anybody is thinking of ordering, that’s how you can save $200.

I used my savings to apply to the AGM TM160 which I got for $360 with the discount code.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:07:37 AM EDT
[#11]
No love for the REAP?

It seems like Trijicon is being passed up by all these new offerings.

Or is it their price point?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:14:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No love for the REAP?

View Quote

The Rattler was a stretch so the Reap was a fantasy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:15:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No love for the REAP?

View Quote

Bang for the buck wise they are terrible, like everything trijicon. Not to say they aren’t good optics but if I was spending that much I’d be shopping n-vision.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No love for the REAP?
View Quote

You do not understand what "bang for the buck" means.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:37:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:41:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Rattler 25 and Hogster 25 seem to have very close specs.  Screen size of 1024x768 on the Rattler v. 1280x960 on the Hogster, and 8x zoom on the Rattler v. 4x zoom on the Hogster seem to be the two biggest differences.  Did I miss anything important (other than price)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch, I paid $1800.

Night Vision Guys will price match HCC Tactical which has a 10% off code HCCWARRIOR.

Still a steal at $2k, but if anybody is thinking of ordering, that’s how you can save $200.

I used my savings to apply to the AGM TM160 which I got for $360 with the discount code.

Rattler 25 and Hogster 25 seem to have very close specs.  Screen size of 1024x768 on the Rattler v. 1280x960 on the Hogster, and 8x zoom on the Rattler v. 4x zoom on the Hogster seem to be the two biggest differences.  Did I miss anything important (other than price)?

Well, the AGM does video recording, has a USB-C port for power/video/data, and has a very nice ADM QD mount standard.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:44:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well, the AGM does video recording, has a USB-C port for power/video/data, and has a very nice ADM QD mount standard.
View Quote

Did yours come with a crappy mount as well as the ADM and two sets of batteries. My crap mount and second set of batteries were in the bottom layer of the soft case.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:54:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:56:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ouch, I paid $1800.

View Quote

I don't know what the situation is with this particular item or Night Vision Guys, but you might want to consider not posting those prices so frequently. I know some dealers have told me to please not post discounted prices that they're willing to give over the phone; they can run into some hot water with their suppliers over it I guess.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:02:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:16:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't know what the situation is with this particular item or Night Vision Guys
View Quote

Shady-ass guido characters from NVGs might show up at your house wearing their Adidas track suits.  Business ethics are not Felix & Co's strong suit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:01:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Did yours come with a crappy mount as well as the ADM and two sets of batteries. My crap mount and second set of batteries were in the bottom layer of the soft case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed, not sure why I’d want the other mount but the extra batteries are cool. I very much appreciate that the agm supports RC123As too.

ETA: you need one of these, makes the focus so much easier.

Amazon Product
  • Fits all scopes
  • Does not rust
  • Practical & Affordable

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't know what the situation is with this particular item or Night Vision Guys, but you might want to consider not posting those prices so frequently. I know some dealers have told me to please not post discounted prices that they're willing to give over the phone; they can run into some hot water with their suppliers over it I guess.
View Quote

Their website says price match, they don’t advertise anything. You have to call and ask.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted: Rattler 25 and Hogster 25 seem to have very close specs.  Screen size of 1024x768 on the Rattler v. 1280x960 on the Hogster, and 8x zoom on the Rattler v. 4x zoom on the Hogster seem to be the two biggest differences.  Did I miss anything important (other than price)?
View Quote
Hogster has 4 year, transferrable warranty, AGM is 3 year warranty. Hogster is rated to -14F and AGM is -4F. These are a few additional specs not mentioned.

Specs are important but what does the image look like and what does it look like under humidity? The Hogsters have gained a ton of customers because they are dependable and their image has been extremely good in a variety of conditions. A Pulsar RXQ30 has similar specs but the image isn't comparable to the Hogsters as another example. I have zero experience with the Rattler. I was on an early list to test and AGM never sent me one unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#26]
This is what a coyote hunt looks like with a Super Hogster. Still a lot better through the eyepiece. This is 90% humidity and the Hogster's video files are ultra-compressed which makes sharing via social media a lot easier. The Super Hogster compression ratio ends up at about about 7MB per minute which yields a really small video file.

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

Got my 25mm Hogster last night. I need to do some study before I try to shoot (the do everything with three buttons thing is not easy and I've never zeroed something digital)

Tonight I'm gonna try hiding from it.

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#28]
What do I need to do to record video?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What do I need to do to record video?
View Quote

Buy an external video recorder. Only the super hogster offers internal recording.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Buy an external video recorder. Only the super hogster offers internal recording.
View Quote
i know, can I make my phone work?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is correct with the Super Hogster you simply hold down the closest button and it starts to record. On the 25 and 35, there is a Video Out option in the Main Menu, and you turn it on, and connect the included video/power cable that includes an RCA male connector to an external DVR cable, and record via the external DVR.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
i know, can I make my phone work?
View Quote
Not unless you simply want to record what it looks like through the eyepiece. You can't really hunt like that but if you just want to hold the camera up to the lens.

Most phones don't allow a connection to an analog video signal.  Not trying to make this even more confusing but but there are a few DVRs that also can stream video. If you did that you could load an app on your phone, and then stream the video from the mini DVR to your phone. However, if you are already using a DVR to connect to the scope, why stream it, if you can just record it on the DVR. It adds another layer of complexity.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This is what a coyote hunt looks like with a Super Hogster. Still a lot better through the eyepiece. This is 90% humidity and the Hogster's video files are ultra-compressed which makes sharing via social media a lot easier. The Super Hogster compression ratio ends up at about about 7MB per minute which yields a really small video file.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKIeK3hhO8U
View Quote

So if you have the choice between the SH and a Thermion XQ38, would you feel disadvantaged going with the SH for coyotes?  I'm asking about the SH given that it seems to be more readily available than the Thermion.  I live in SD and a friend of mind picked up a XM50 and has been sending me all of his videos of his hunts which is killing me.  I don't have the cash for an XM50 and the the XQ38 and SH would be a little bit of stretch for me as well.  Frankly, the Hogster 25 is more of my budget but I know that's a no go given my location and quarry.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted: So if you have the choice between the SH and a Thermion XQ38, would you feel disadvantaged going with the SH for coyotes?  I'm asking about the SH given that it seems to be more readily available than the Thermion.  I live in SD and a friend of mind picked up a XM50 and has been sending me all of his videos of his hunts which is killing me.  I don't have the cash for an XM50 and the the XQ38 and SH would be a little bit of stretch for me as well.  Frankly, the Hogster 25 is more of my budget but I know that's a no go given my location and quarry.
View Quote
I owned a Trail XQ38 before the Hogster. The Thermion image should have improved some, but I would still go with the Super Hogster.

I hunt ND, so I assume similar terrain as in SD with rolling plains, etc. The SH 2.9x native magnification is better suited for this terrain. Also, due to the 12µm sensor vs the 17µm sensor of the Pulsar, I believe it retains a better quality image under digital magnification so the PIP will be clearer. The Thermion is probably the  better option if you wish to mount on a bolt gun without an extended rail. The SH includes a QD mount, seems less impacted by humidity, has a 4 year transferrable warranty, and is much more compact. As a Prostaff for Night Goggles which sells Pulsar, Flir, Trijicon and Bering, I own the Bering Optics Super Hogster and Bering Optics Phenom scanner.

I realize budget is tight, but one more thing to consider is to be a really effective coyote hunter at night, you really need a scanner as well as a scope. Your buddy with the XM50 is missing far too many animals if he is scanning with this narrow field of view scope. A thermal scanner is the most important piece of equipment for nighttime coyote hunting. Feel free to send me a PM if you wish to discuss thermal coyote hunting as I can then send you my cell number and we can chat.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
2.5x is a great all around compromise
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right but usage and terrain play a big part in features and native magnification.  I wouldn't reco something with a 5x native mag in 640 if the OP is wanting to just pop hogs at 50 yards in the woods and scan his back yard.  Nor would you reco a 1x 320 system if you need to PID at 300 across open fields.  

Intended use plays a big role in determining what you need.  If using it for some kind of home defense you may be better off with a scanner and nods with a laser.

So OP, tell us more about your intended uses and terrain.
2.5x is a great all around compromise

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Trijicon IR Hunter MK3 35mm (2.5x).

My intended use is to drive out to my blinds with lights out with my NODs (this is fun), sit in my blind, and shoot pigs from 25 yards to as far out as I can ID them. Some of my blinds have 1000+ yard views.

1. Would there be any other units I should be looking at for this?

2. Would the 60mm be better for this? I feel like that might be a bit much magnification for <50 yards. Also a $1500 jump for a little more magnification seems a bit much.

3. What would be a practical maximum range to ID a pig vs. a cow vs. a deer vs. whatever with the 35mm unit?

I'm not made of money but after using a friend's new 384 resolution Pulsar (I forget exactly which one) I decided I wanted something with 640.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Trijicon IR Hunter MK3 35mm (2.5x).

My intended use is to drive out to my blinds with lights out with my NODs (this is fun), sit in my blind, and shoot pigs from 25 yards to as far out as I can ID them. Some of my blinds have 1000+ yard views.

1. Would there be any other units I should be looking at for this?

2. Would the 60mm be better for this? I feel like that might be a bit much magnification for <50 yards. Also a $1500 jump for a little more magnification seems a bit much.

3. What would be a practical maximum range to ID a pig vs. a cow vs. a deer vs. whatever with the 35mm unit?

I'm not made of money but after using a friend's new 384 resolution Pulsar (I forget exactly which one) I decided I wanted something with 640.
View Quote

I am not an expert, just an occasional coyote hunter. As Korey said above, a scanner is a must for hunting.  trying to scan with your scope 1) sucks and 2) you muzzle sweep everything and 3) it sucks.

I have found in my nonprofessional use, a 2-3 native mag is the most useful to me.  It has a reasonable field of view but also no problem with shots out to 300 or so.  Could probably do more if I had more time behind it.  If I had 1000 yards clear,  maybe add a 50-60mm unit again, but the one i had (pulsar XQ50 apex) the FOV was just too tight.  Was a good scope just most of my shots were ~ 100 yards and it was like a 9 degree field of view at that range.  Pretty tight I felt.

I have the MKIII and really like it, other than its heavy, I would also consider the Nvision and maybe the Reap IR since its basically the same as the MKIII only in a smaller and lighter form.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#37]
I do a ton of hog hunting and have used AGM, FLIR, Trijicon, Pulsar and NVision products.

In my opinion, the best bang for the bank are the Pulsar Trail products.  A couple of things that I really like about them are the rechargeable battery (not having to spend money all the time on CR123's), onboard recording, wide field of view, and multiple profiles for zeroing.  

I moved my Trail from gun to gun and didn't have issues with it re-zeroing.  However, there have been issues with it holding zero for other people.

Not sure if you can find a Trail under $3k, but I would save a little more money and get one.  I think a Pulsar Trail 2 LRF XQ50 runs a little over $4k which has a built in laser rangefinder
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#38]
With Korey's help I ordered my super hogster today . Now the long wait for it to come back in stock.

In the meantime, are there any good battery pack options for this bad boy? I saw a TNVC TRB on the night goggles sight but didn't see Bering as one of the supported manufacturers. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
With Korey's help I ordered my super hogster today . Now the long wait for it to come back in stock.

In the meantime, are there any good battery pack options for this bad boy? I saw a TNVC TRB on the night goggles sight but didn't see Bering as one of the supported manufacturers. Thanks!
View Quote

Second battery packs recommendations. I could use one for my AGM Rattler which has a USB-C connection. Everything I've found seems to have micro USB.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
FOV and magnification are the practical differences.

25: 1.4x base mag, 14.9° FOV: Comfortable Shooting to around 150 yards.
35: 2x base mag, 10.7° FOV: Comfortable Shooting to around 225 yards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could you discuss the practical difference between the 25 and 35mm Hogster?

This is $3k expense sight unseen and it has me a little worried
FOV and magnification are the practical differences.

25: 1.4x base mag, 14.9° FOV: Comfortable Shooting to around 150 yards.
35: 2x base mag, 10.7° FOV: Comfortable Shooting to around 225 yards.

This! ^^^^

Field of View (FOV) is huge to me and having a good optical magnification with good FOV seems to be the inverse.  It’s tough when you really want a wide FOV which typically (not always) means lower base magnification.  Then when you magnify digitally above the base magnification, you cut the resolution.  Really good advice/guidance above with approximate ranges.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Second battery packs recommendations. I could use one for my AGM Rattler which has a USB-C connection. Everything I've found seems to have micro USB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The round anker 5000 mah battery has a normal USB output, your standard rattler cable (USB to USB-C) will work fine. There are a variety of mounts available from https://apex3d.shop/.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The round anker 5000 mah battery has a normal USB output, your standard rattler cable (USB to USB-C) will work fine. There are a variety of mounts available from https://apex3d.shop/.
View Quote

Thanks, any idea what the voltage of these are? Can’t find it in the description. I know the Rattler uses 3.0V CR123 and 3.7V RCR123 batteries. Curious what setting you’d need to set the scope to when using an external battery pack.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:52:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thanks, any idea what the voltage of these are? Can’t find it in the description. I know the Rattler uses 3.0V CR123 and 3.7V RCR123 batteries. Curious what setting you’d need to set the scope to when using an external battery pack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

External power is 5vdc, you don’t need to select anything different in the menu, it’ll run off the external pack until depleted then switch to internal power.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

External power is 5vdc, you don’t need to select anything different in the menu, it’ll run off the external pack until depleted then switch to internal power.
View Quote

Badass, thank you
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I have been lurking a bit on this thread and reading up on thermal.  It "seems" like a clip on thermal would be the most flexible vs. a thermal scope,  but it also seems like that is wrong from some reading.  Maybe someone can chime in and set me straight.  I'd think a clip on that mounts in front of your optic gives you the most flexibility to move from platform to platform, does not require swapping of things, and you could just throw it in a bag and put on whatever you have (RDS, LPVO, magnified optic, etc).  That being said, reading up on the Hogster and AGM devices, they seem like pretty great value for the $2-$3K range and would be pretty easy to swap with any QD optic you have.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 1:30:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have been lurking a bit on this thread and reading up on thermal.  It "seems" like a clip on thermal would be the most flexible vs. a thermal scope,  but it also seems like that is wrong from some reading.  Maybe someone can chime in and set me straight.  I'd think a clip on that mounts in front of your optic gives you the most flexibility to move from platform to platform, does not require swapping of things, and you could just throw it in a bag and put on whatever you have (RDS, LPVO, magnified optic, etc).  That being said, reading up on the Hogster and AGM devices, they seem like pretty great value for the $2-$3K range and would be pretty easy to swap with any QD optic you have.  Thanks!
View Quote

I think it's mistake to start one's venture into the thermal world with a Clip On.  I'll leave it at that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 2:41:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

From what I’ve read the only clip ons worth buying are $$$ mil spec units, not commercial. Thermals are a day/night scope unlike NVDs. QD mounts make it easy enough to swap optics and most thermal users probably have one or more dedicated night hunting rifles for hogs/yotes. I’ve been extremely impressed with my AGM, and it’s the “low” scope in my eventual low/high mix.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

From what I’ve read the only clip ons worth buying are $$$ mil spec units, not commercial. Thermals are a day/night scope unlike NVDs. QD mounts make it easy enough to swap optics and most thermal users probably have one or more dedicated night hunting rifles for hogs/yotes. I’ve been extremely impressed with my AGM, and it’s the “low” scope in my eventual low/high mix.
View Quote

I'm really impressed as well. The upload to YouTube seems to have degraded thee quality some.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm really impressed as well. The https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veaR8LTsFOM upload to YouTube seems to have degraded thee quality some.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm really impressed as well. The https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veaR8LTsFOM upload to YouTube seems to have degraded thee quality some.

Speaking of rattlers. If you want to use yours as a hand scanner I highly recommend this gadget:

https://apex3d.shop/collections/power-kits/products/scanner-handle

The pic rail could use a few more slots for the AGM mount but its solid enough with one crossbar engaged.

It does have a lanyard hole too, to avoid dropping your scope on a rock.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top