User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would agree with this.

The COTI is a great capability for kinetic environments. Hunters, I've found have mixed opinions based on the setting/environment.

I would never recommend that anyone buy a COTI to replace a handheld thermal scanner, it's not for that.

Once again, IMHO, the big point to remember is that the COTI is designed to drive tactical decision points:

Meaning, e.g., you're moving to contact or moving to the objective and you pick up a signature. Do you short halt and identify further? Do you bypass? Do you engage and destroy? This is of course largely dependent on other factors of your posture, mission, threat level, etc.--but again, it allows you to come to recognize the decision point sooner and stay inside your adversary's OODA loop. Guys have told stories about using fusion systems and picking up enemy fighters taking a nap outside of compounds that could have compromised an infil. Or you can look down into an alley, through an open door, or into a spider hole and see if there's a signature before you light it up with IR, etc.

I would not get one as a replacement for a dedicated thermal capability, however, nor would I use one as a hand-held stand-alone. It's not for that, it's just not. I wholly believe that civilians should be able to buy and own all this technology and use it however they'd like--however, let's also remember that these products are designed for a specific application, and it aint wandering aimlessly around in the woods, nor is it for shooting hogs and coyotes. Some things translate, some things do not.

Another good reason to attend training classes with professional veteran end-users if you do intend to or want to train for kinetic use of Visual Augmentation Systems technologies.

~Augee
View Quote

Thanks Augee, would you say that all of the above could be done with a handheld thermal scanner...albeit a little slower?  If you're "infilling" into an area, you're probably moving slowly as it is, so why would it be a big deal to pull out a handheld scanner to do the same thing?  Plus a handheld/helmet-mounted scanner would be more versatile being able to be used separate from a NV device.

I can pretty much boil it down to this:
On the one hand, I'm questioning the weight added to an already heavy-ish system (dual tube / bino NV) when having a hand-held or helmet mounted "dual band" might accomplish the same thing (but slower)....but on the other hand, this may be the last time its available for purchase...
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

...but on the other hand, this may be the last time its available for purchase...
View Quote

Well, it technically won't be the last time, when these start showing up in the used market for less than the current low price (or worst case the same). With as many people that are buying these I think it's a safe bet they will be in the used market in greater numbers.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why no battery pack?  No room for the connection?

ETA:  Order placed!
View Quote

Sorry, I thought you were asking if the coti pack would power the RNVG and I was like No Duh haha.

Totally not picking up what you were putting down.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sorry, I thought you were asking if the coti pack would power the RNVG and I was like No Duh haha.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why no battery pack?  No room for the connection?

ETA:  Order placed!

No problem man.  I may not have made myself clear.  My RNVGs only accept a single AA cell.  I'll probably upgrade the housing some day to the CR123/external powered style, which was released right after I bought mine last year.  So, I'll be on the lookout for a COTI battery pack and connection, as I understand that it doesn't have very long runtimes with the single on-board CR123 cell.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No problem man.  I may not have made myself clear.  My RNVGs only accept a single AA cell.  I'll probably upgrade the housing some day to the CR123/external powered style, which was released right after I bought mine last year.  So, I'll be on the lookout for a COTI battery pack and connection, as I understand that it doesn't have very long runtimes with the single on-board CR123 cell.
View Quote

Correct on the runtime, it is pretty short with the onboard power.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How short are we talking?  I missed out on smeeg's EE listing...
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would agree with this.

The COTI is a great capability for kinetic environments. Hunters, I've found have mixed opinions based on the setting/environment.

I would never recommend that anyone buy a COTI to replace a handheld thermal scanner, it's not for that.

Once again, IMHO, the big point to remember is that the COTI is designed to drive tactical decision points:

Meaning, e.g., you're moving to contact or moving to the objective and you pick up a signature. Do you short halt and identify further? Do you bypass? Do you engage and destroy? This is of course largely dependent on other factors of your posture, mission, threat level, etc.--but again, it allows you to come to recognize the decision point sooner and stay inside your adversary's OODA loop. Guys have told stories about using fusion systems and picking up enemy fighters taking a nap outside of compounds that could have compromised an infil. Or you can look down into an alley, through an open door, or into a spider hole and see if there's a signature before you light it up with IR, etc.

I would not get one as a replacement for a dedicated thermal capability, however, nor would I use one as a hand-held stand-alone. It's not for that, it's just not. I wholly believe that civilians should be able to buy and own all this technology and use it however they'd like--however, let's also remember that these products are designed for a specific application, and it aint wandering aimlessly around in the woods, nor is it for shooting hogs and coyotes. Some things translate, some things do not.

Another good reason to attend training classes with professional veteran end-users if you do intend to or want to train for kinetic use of Visual Augmentation Systems technologies.

~Augee
View Quote

After playing around with some dude’s (from an agency not to be named) fusion clip on device at a sniper course, I knew I wanted some fusion action for myself. Granted this is about 1/20th the cost, and much less capable, but you got to work with your own budget.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't want to detail a great thread, but thanks to those who responded to my question. The last half page or so has addressed everything I think I needed to know.

Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]
It's HEEEEERRRRRREEEEEEEE!

Might have to go try it out tonight.  Maybe combined with comet hunting.  

It's just so goddamn HOT though!  And the humidity only gets worse at night.  I sweated through my shirt within seconds last time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's HEEEEERRRRRREEEEEEEE!

https://i.imgur.com/rlUyxdQ.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/iaKgje6.jpg?1

Might have to go try it out tonight.  Maybe combined with comet hunting.  

It's just so goddamn HOT though!  And the humidity only gets worse at night.  I sweated through my shirt within seconds last time.
View Quote

Woot, let us know what you think!
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There is not a lot of options in FUSION except this, the E coti which Optics1/Safran confirmed without a doubt they will NOT sell to civilians and then the SENVG or something similar coming in at $15K

They have always had just a 1 year warranty. But as I've mentioned numerous times I have two from about 8+ years ago and they continue to work fine.

So a $6K add on fusion set for under $3K and the only civilian available device that allows you to have a FUSION setup under $15K.

From the phone being glued to my ear the last 5 days, I'd say the market loves the idea of this. Another big slew of them went out today of orders that did not need special brackets. As I explained the orders with the special brackets will be just a little while- but of course you won't be charged until it's ready to ship.

View Quote

Hoping mine will be here before the weekend.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is a concern that comes up a lot, and being honest, it aint great.

But honestly, onboard battery life has rarely been a practical problem for me, and yes, I've used it when it's so cold out that it immediately shows a low battery indicator warning moments after putting a brand new in package CR123 into it. It's not ideal, but you get used to ignoring the indicator. I have battery packs for both the COTI and E-COTI, and I've gotta say... I pretty much never actually use them.  

Beyond that, I could see it being a concern for guys that are hunting and just meandering for hours looking for signatures to "blip," but for practical purposes, you know when contact is probable versus unlikely. This really applies to all fusion systems and all thermal systems, which are all battery hogs. You're rarely wandering around for hours using the thermal the entire time, unlike night vision, where the power requirements are typically so low (except AA powered duals ) that it makes more sense to leave the device on constantly.

If you're moving slowly and deliberately enough to stop and look through a hand-held thermal device, do that. They're better for it.

There've only been a few times I've flat out killed a COTI battery, but if I'm really needing it, I'm popping in a new battery at the beginning of the night. For those few times I've needed to swap batteries in the field, well, the TNVC Mohawk has a bunch of nifty spare battery loops.

~Augee
View Quote

Word Augee! The way I use it, I am always turning it off because quite frankly it is a little distracting at times to have the thermal overlay going.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There is not a lot of options in FUSION except this, the E coti which Optics1/Safran confirmed without a doubt they will NOT sell to civilians and then the SENVG or something similar coming in at $15K

They have always had just a 1 year warranty. But as I've mentioned numerous times I have two from about 8+ years ago and they continue to work fine.

So a $6K add on fusion set for under $3K and the only civilian available device that allows you to have a FUSION setup under $15K.

From the phone being glued to my ear the last 5 days, I'd say the market loves the idea of this. Another big slew of them went out today of orders that did not need special brackets. As I explained the orders with the special brackets will be just a little while- but of course you won't be charged until it's ready to ship.

View Quote

I can’t remember what it was called, some four letter acronym I think. I recall it being from one of the major manufacturers. When I got home, I googled it, but came up with no open source info. He said it cost around $70k per unit, and the company basically made it to their specs and they were still tweaking it. It had a remote dial you could use to crank it from full I2 to full thermal, and anything in between. It was pretty fucking awesome.

Dude was from a real deal unit, as the class was nothing by legit gov’t folks. This was about a year or two ago.

I’m sure it was absolutely not available to the public.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Are we talking home-brew fusion weapon sights now?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/468022/58DF845E-842F-4133-8182-6A424ACB7E00-1274123.jpg

And before anyone asks, no, there is no advantage to doing this compared to just head-mounting. I did this for fun.

~Augee
View Quote

Nice, I'm looking to do a Sig 300 rattler as my next project, once guns are in stock again.

See my last post, the fusion device in question was definitely made by a major company, but I forgot which one. I wish I had taken a photo, but that seemed inappropriate even though the guy didn't seem to care when some others folks did it.

We were demoing some garden variety WP clip ons for our next (and still yet to be decided) agency purchase, and he just made us look like poors.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A metric Ass ton (technical term) of them shipped today. Tracking emails have been sent for all that shipped today. Looking like another metric Ass ton (MAT) volume going out again tomorrow.
Thanks for your order!

View Quote

No tracking email for me.
I'm sure you're bundling it together with the BNVD I ordered a week and a half ago to ship together tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I now have the minor problem that I've run out of space in my NODs apache case.  I'll need to upsize and re-do the foam layout.  Bummer, the current size was pretty much perfect portability, the bigger one is going to be kindof annoying to carry around.  But I should be able to squeeze my aurora in there now too, and maybe make some dedicated spots for batteries/phone mount instead of cramming them in with the night cap.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My guess would be the FLIR ADUNS:

https://www.flir.com/products/milsight-s140-d/

There’s a couple of different fusion clip-ons out there in government circles, though.

The ADUNS is one of the few that any open-source information I can link to exists for.

~Augee
View Quote

Yup, that’s it!

Thanks for solving that mystery. Been bugging me for a while now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Just placed my order 1 minute ago. Didn't need it but wanted it. lol.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Ok so no rain in coastal northern SC tonight. I decided to spend a few minutes in the humidity with BNVD-UL thin filmed Harris and a COTI.  

Strolling around, the COTI is, after maybe 30 minutes, completely intuitive to use via touch alone.  You can replace the lens cover, calibrate, switch between black and white hot, and swap between full, outline and patrol display modes.  Turning the unit on and adjusting brightness is super easy.

As others have described, it’s not perfect, the resolution suffers by comparison to newer and higher spec’d units, but It definitely punches above its weight (specifically, former cost)  and at nearly half of that figure currently, it’s stupid good.

Strolling from the front yard to the back I instantly spot a large heat signature beat guess is 50 yards out. Swapping out of full white, I can immediately tell that it’s two deer lying on their sides facing me.  Initially 70% sure one of them is a young buck I saw a few days ago. After screwing around With some settings that got to 100%.  Spike buck and a doe. NEVER would have picked up via the ballpark 2300 FOM I2.   Just too humid, too far, and too dense. I could see there distance wise with the BNVD but, as I mentioned earlier, deer being still in adequate cover are hard to see.

An old IR Defense Patrol put a much cleaner focus on the picture, but didn’t tell me anything I didn’t already know.  Sadly, the gap between the COTI and the Patrol was a factor greater than the gap between the old  Patrol and a brand new Trijicon SkeetIR-x, which did make me snicker a little at how darn clean the picture was, and,  although the Skeet does do some crazy cool stuff with the picture (outline looks like a live cartoon to me) I’d never say that for me, it’s worth 3-4x the price of the patrol.  

I think these little COTI guys didn’t get enough exposure previously.  I missed out on the bargain pricing by less than 2 weeks, but’s that’s my luck.  I’d advise anyone that spends time trapsing around at night with a PVS-Anything or better, to grab one while you can.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Just took a stroll in the suburban park (elementary school athletic field) with it.  Very poor environment for it.  I was SUPER disappointed and about ready to send it back until I figured out I'm a dummy and left the lens cover on

Outline mode is pretty boss, there just wasn't really anything interesting to look at heat source wise.  Treetops lit up when against the sky, the basketball blacktop was about the only real strong source that truly lit up or outlined well.  I didn't find it quite as easy to operate as the poster above, but I'll get there.  I had a hell of a time finding the menu/mode buttons by touch, turning it on and adjusting brightness was really easy though.  Didn't mess with any of the menus at all, but I'm thinking cranking the gain up a little might help make it clearer for intermittently lit suburban setting?  Other than the mount is still a bit stiff, taking it on and off the NVGs was much easier than I imagined.  The weight it added was not insignificant, I'm kinda bummed word has come down that ECOTI will never be available to us plebeians again for that reason alone.  I'm gonna have to crank down super tight on the nightcap straps or maybe just abandon it altogether if using the full shebang.  Makes the whole front droop.  Maybe there's something I can do with the counterweight setup, in this case being slung low with the battery pouch may not actually be the best.

Nothing worth pictures unfortunately.  I did finally manage to find a gap in the treeline and glimpse the comet, but it was quite faint and falling in and out of clouds/haze.  I just really can't find a great place to look NW near me, and I'm not really that keen on driving all over the cities to find one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Please check your email, voicemail and PM's here. Thanks
View Quote

Just replied... sorry took a day to recover from traveling and a day to catch up on emails... oh wait I'm still not caught up
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Are we talking home-brew fusion weapon sights now?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/468022/58DF845E-842F-4133-8182-6A424ACB7E00-1274123.jpg

And before anyone asks, no, there is no advantage to doing this compared to just head-mounting. I did this for fun.

~Augee
View Quote

Can you get the pvs22/27/30 weapons mounts for these? Know they make them and have specific mount for each clip on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#33]
The manual speaks of a compass that can be added on to these.  Anyone know details?  Price/where to buy?  Or are they not for the commoners?
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The manual speaks of a compass that can be added on to these.  Anyone know details?  Price/where to buy?  Or are they not for the commoners?
View Quote

I THINK it’s in there.  When on, press the knob in and (if you can read the display) you should see a 3 digit number.  This is your compass.

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a question-  how in the Hell do you get the COTI battery pack connector off?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Damn thing ain’t coming off!
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Order placed!  Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Come on brothers!  Don’t make me wade in with a butter knife.   How do I DC the battery connector?
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Push on the tab that sticks out opposite  end of cable
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you mean (1)  “push in” as it might be a button to disengage the death grip clasp that  the connector is applying- like an anaconda, upon the COTI terminal; or (2) use it as the location for a lever that would pry outward, popping the connector off like a Mello Yello bottle cap?

Instruction manual is less than clear but the second option seems to be its suggestion....

This MFer is connected for life.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Do you mean (1)  “push in” as it might be a button to disengage the death grip clasp that  the connector is applying- like an anaconda, upon the COTI terminal; or (2) use it as the location for a lever that would pry outward, popping the connector off like a Mello Yello bottle cap?

Instruction manual is less than clear but the second option seems to be its suggestion....

View Quote

But in for answers as I don’t know either.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I just played with mine, and it only connects in one orientation. It’s pretty obvious which orientation the cable has to be in as there’s a wedge shaped cutout area on the cable which mates with a raised plastic wedge on the body of the COTI.

It snapped straight on when I pushed down and came off by popping it off like a bottle cap. I applied pressure to the cable on the side opposite the power cable.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So I just played with mine, and it only connects in one orientation. It’s pretty obvious which orientation the cable has to be in as there’s a wedge shaped cutout area on the cable which mates with a raised plastic wedge on the body of the COTI.

It snapped straight on when I pushed down and came off by popping it off like a bottle cap. I applied pressure to the cable on the side opposite the power cable.
View Quote

I agree on the obligatory obvious orientation observations, but have read that it can be connected at more than one orientation; obstinately, but diligently I have finessed and pried, but obviously, it’s time for the big guns to be oriented.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I agree on the obligatory obvious orientation observations, but have read that it can be connected at more than one orientation; obstinately, but diligently I have finessed and pried, but obviously, it’s time for the big guns to be oriented.
View Quote

Werewolves of London again
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya on the supposed ability to orient the cable in different directions, I just didn’t want to force it on one way and end up in your current predicament, haha.

Standing by for others with more hands on time to double secret probation confirm you can connect, and disconnect, the cable in other directions besides the one obviously suggested by the wedge shaped bits on the cable and COTI.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I hear ya on the supposed ability to orient the cable in different directions, I just didn't want to force it on one way and end up in your current predicament, haha.

Standing by for others with more hands on time to double secret probation confirm you can connect, and disconnect, the cable in other directions besides the one obviously suggested by the wedge shaped bits on the cable and COTI.
View Quote

Thanks.

I also connected it in the obvious orientation.  It just took a bunch of pressure to connect it, and when it clicked in, it was obvious, however I've applied Much more force trying to disconnect.  Don't want to break my $4500 thingie now thst it's worth 2/3...
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#48]
So, I was wondering today as I was driving along- with COTI (or any fusion system) What happens when a warm object, say person, animal, etc, goes behind a pane of glass? I have seen videos where people can essentially hide behind a pane of glass, so what then? COTI just doesnt detect them but NV lets you see through the glass? Or does COTI reflect the entire glass pane?

Heres a video to explain what I am trying to understand-

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So, I was wondering today as I was driving along- with COTI (or any fusion system) What happens when a warm object, say person, animal, etc, goes behind a pane of glass? I have seen videos where people can essentially hide behind a pane of glass, so what then? COTI just doesnt detect them but NV lets you see through the glass? Or does COTI reflect the entire glass pane?

Heres a video to explain what I am trying to understand-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsjjdwLFNIM
View Quote

Worst case the 20 degree circle In your FOV that the COTI projects into Would be blank.

I suspect, however that the COTI would just put the reflection into that circle, and the underlying I2 device won’t know the difference and would show you everything.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Sigh......

You guys are going to make me have to get a second job

Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top