Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 19
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 6:03:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Anybody else having short run times in the cold? I've been skiing the last few nights with my coti. After about 15-20 minutes I'm getting the internal battery indicator light coming on constant. I started tonight with a new battery and the indicator came on in about 20 minutes. Is there any way to turn the warning off? Temps were in the teens. I doubt I'm going to be able to find or afford an external battery pack so I'm stuck with the internal battery. I don't really even care if it goes dead while I'm using it. I'd just like to be able to turn the warning light off. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anybody else having short run times in the cold? I've been skiing the last few nights with my coti. After about 15-20 minutes I'm getting the internal battery indicator light coming on constant. I started tonight with a new battery and the indicator came on in about 20 minutes. Is there any way to turn the warning off? Temps were in the teens. I doubt I'm going to be able to find or afford an external battery pack so I'm stuck with the internal battery. I don't really even care if it goes dead while I'm using it. I'd just like to be able to turn the warning light off. Any suggestions?
View Quote

Nope. That's pretty common in cold weather. You could try and wrap a hand warmers to it and try to keep it warm, but I just deal with it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Where are you guys getting the PVS-31 battery pack?

I recently got a splitter cable and just need the battery now. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ended up placing a back order through Own the Night. Shipped a few weeks earlier than quoted.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I ended up placing a back order through Own the Night. Shipped a few weeks earlier than quoted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@dabean was it this one for $690?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Yep. That’s it. Runs fine with the COTI.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Does it come with the correct power cable for the COTI or do you purchase that separately?

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Does it come with the correct power cable for the COTI or do you purchase that separately?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s separate and seemingly much more difficult to hunt down. I got one off EE.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

No. Cable and battery pack come separate. I had to buy them from different vendors. The cable was harder to come buy.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That’s separate and seemingly much more difficult to hunt down. I got one off EE.
View Quote

Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/450028/5F265F44-6982-450B-8274-D74F32E6D54B-1740410.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/450028/61678700-4E45-4AE5-88FC-9A122AB1937C-1740411.jpg

No. Cable and battery pack come separate. I had to buy them from different vendors. The cable was harder to come buy.

View Quote

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]

i have one of those i dont need
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm going a different route.  I'm letting my COTI go.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you’re sticking with COTI then I’m thinking that’s the best way to do it.

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#14]
@tnvc
@SIASL
@DaBean

Will the ATN PS-31 external battery work with the COTI & splitter cable?

Or does it have to be a PVS-31 external battery pack?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@tnvc
@SIASL
@DaBean

Will the ATN PS-31 external battery work with the COTI & splitter cable?

Or does it have to be a PVS-31 external battery pack?
View Quote

Negative, It will not work. It is not a Fischer connector like with the real PVS-31.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Negative, It will not work. It is not a Fischer connector like with the real PVS-31.
View Quote

Of which I desperately want. A female end to be exact but good Lord they seem to be impossible to get.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Played some hide and seek with the boys again tonight as well as with the wife’s nephew. While running around with a mono device isn’t the easiest thing to do it’s entirely doable. The kids and I had a blast running around. Of course, using fusion was cheating but it was more about getting some practice with it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I just scored a battery pack on the EE. But for the life of me I cannot get the connector to mount on the COTI. Can any of the guys who are running the battery pack help me out. The connector doesn't have the latch like some of the pictures guys have posted in this thread, somebody mentioned that there's 2 generations of connector, one with a latch, one without. It seems to me like it's supposed to snap on but I'm really having a devil of a time getting the thing on. I've pushed pretty damn hard but I don't want to go full power and break something, this thing cost a pretty penny. Am I just being stupid and missing something simple here or do I really need to Gorilla power this thing on? One poster mentioned he had to bend the tab to get it on. Help?

It's the dedicated COTI battery pack, not the split cable for the PVS/31, the connection has no latch.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#20]
You have a pack for a 29, not a 29a.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]
So not only is it a weird, proprietary, impossible to find connector, there's 2 versions of it and they aren't compatible? great. who designed that?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:18:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Coti battery pack

https://i.imgur.com/5tFRs0d.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How hard to find are the remote battery packs for COTI?
Coti battery pack

https://i.imgur.com/5tFRs0d.jpg

This picture is exactly what I have. So is this type of battery pack for an earlier version and the wrong connector for the Coti's sold through Eurooptic? Anybody else have this setup and found a way to make it work?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#23]

There’s got to be a cheaper and easier to find way to put a battery pack on these
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I finally got around to playing with some settings last night on some deer that were hanging out in a field a hundred or two off

Playing with the gain and offset I was able to make them stand out a bit more here and there.

But each time I ended up simply coming back to the factory presets

Im using patrol more and more these days. Outline really helps me spot living things at a distance but at the price of a ton of clutter. Patrol keeps more of the clutter out but also doesnt seem to light up like the outline mode does. I have to move my head a little slower when panning around with the patrol mode if that makes sense

Simply leaving the factory preset seems to be the best bet on my device. If I were in a fixed position and not moving I could see where adjusting the settings on a particular area would be a nice thing.

Either way its still some really cool tech!

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There’s got to be a cheaper and easier to find way to put a battery pack on these
View Quote

Not cheap but probably the fastest most sure way to run an external power pack is a PVS-31 batt pack with splitter cable. Maybe $1k to $1.2k new or used. I consider it money well spent if you find yourself very satisfied with the COTI’s performance and purpose.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not cheap but probably the fastest most sure way to run an external power pack is a PVS-31 batt pack with splitter cable. Maybe $1k to $1.2k new or used. I consider it money well spent if you find yourself very satisfied with the COTI’s performance and purpose.
View Quote

That can buy a whole lotta CR123s though

Granted I do use my pack often. Im glad I got mine early on. Im sorry you guys are having a tough time finding a option. The connector is pretty wild looking. The pack itself doesnt look like anything special but I know about zero about power supplies
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That can buy a whole lotta CR123s though

Granted I do use my pack often. Im glad I got mine early on. Im sorry you guys are having a tough time finding a option. The connector is pretty wild looking. The pack itself doesnt look like anything special but I know about zero about power supplies
View Quote

Man I thought I was getting ripped off for a COTI batt pack for $330.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Is that style connector not commercially available?

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Man I thought I was getting ripped off for a COTI batt pack for $330.
View Quote

I got mine for 5ish and feel jipped lol

The housing is very flimsy feeling. The connector is crazy though
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Do you guys feel there’s something to allowing a thermal device time to “settle down”? For instance, does it seem to give better imaging and detection when the unit’s temp evens out with ambient temp? Last couple of times I’ve been out it seemed to “settle down”.

Am I imagining this?
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Do you guys feel there’s something to allowing a thermal device time to “settle down”? For instance, does it seem to give better imaging and detection when the unit’s temp evens out with ambient temp? Last couple of times I’ve been out it seemed to “settle down”.

Am I imagining this?
View Quote

I think its more of a warm up than a settle down. 10 minutes with a few NUCs in there, and then two or three NUCs an hour and you will be in good shape.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think its more of a warm up than a settle down. 10 minutes with a few NUCs in there, and then two or three NUCs an hour and you will be in good shape.
View Quote

Concur with this

Seems like the first few minutes I have to calibrate a few times and then its all good to go
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#34]
How are you all mounting these to helmets?

The J-arm feels very flimsy with the PVS-14 and thats before you even add the COTI.

Do I need to switch from J-arm to dovetail?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How are you all mounting these to helmets?

The J-arm feels very flimsy with the PVS-14 and thats before you even add the COTI.

Do I need to switch from J-arm to dovetail?
View Quote

I would (and did). Norotos INVG with their DDA.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:51:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Looks like now Eurooptic is offering the COTI with the monocular adapter for $3500
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:16:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Bump for if anyone has seen 29a battery packs anywhere recently.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#38]
EO has increased the price to $3,500 to include a monocular  adapter as mentioned above...pardon my lack of knowledge in all things NV/thermal, but according to the thread the COTI will work well with DTNVS in unfilmed WP? What mounting system do I need for attachment?

@Lowdown3 are you still selling these? If so, can you give me an idea on pricing and availability?

ETA: Because it would be mounted to binos, overlay of illuminator and laser on top of thermal image would work just fine I assume?

ETA 2: @chase45 would value your input since you’ve ran it with a bino set up. Thanks man!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
EO has increased the price to $3,500 to include a monocular  adapter as mentioned above...pardon my lack of knowledge in all things NV/thermal, but according to the thread the COTI will work well with DTNVS in unfilmed WP? What mounting system do I need for attachment?

@Lowdown3 are you still selling these? If so, can you give me an idea on pricing and availability?

ETA: Because it would be mounted to binos, overlay of illuminator and laser on top of thermal image would work just fine I assume?

ETA 2: @chase45 would value your input since you’ve ran it with a bino set up. Thanks man!
View Quote

It’ll work with a DTNVS. The COTI actually comes with an adapter that works for PVS-14 and PVS-15 optics, as well as some variations of ANVIS.

Using the IR laser works fine with a bino. If you’re using it on just a mono, I recommend operating in outline white hot mode while using a targeting laser
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It’ll work with a DTNVS. The COTI actually comes with an adapter that works for PVS-14 and PVS-15 optics, as well as some variations of ANVIS.

Using the IR laser works fine with a bino. If you’re using it on just a mono, I recommend operating in outline white hot mode while using a targeting laser
View Quote

Will you be able to flip out the bino side it is attached to in order to shut the NV off or at least get a naked eye view should the need arise? Or would the COTI have to be detached first before pivoting the bino?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Will you be able to flip out the bino side it is attached to in order to shut the NV off or at least get a naked eye view should the need arise? Or would the COTI have to be detached first before pivoting the bino?
View Quote

All articulation works just fine with a BNVD or DTNVS and COTI attached.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

It works fine. Depending how you have your COTI set up, you might not be able to stow as close to the helmet but that’s not really an issue, it just sort of “is”.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I really enjoy mine

I use it pretty much every time I use my NODs. Especially out in the woods. It really helps pop out living creatures I would otherwise miss.

Its terribly boring however if you happen to not see a creature in the woods.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Rabbit at about 30-40 yards in the brush last night

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Rabbit at about 30-40 yards in the brush last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf0nIyogLRc
View Quote

Thanks for the video! Seems to work great. How were you recording? Remind me what NV set up you have- DTNVG?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thanks for the video! Seems to work great. How were you recording? Remind me what NV set up you have- DTNVG?
View Quote

I have a BNVD and this is the recorder from unobtanium gear. I think TNVC sells the same one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Europtic COTI $2,999.99
EuroOptic is running a two week sale for $2,999.99 for the COTI and eyepiece until March 21st.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Europtic COTI $2,999.99
EuroOptic is running a two week sale for $2,999.99 for the COTI and eyepiece until March 21st.
View Quote

I have one sitting in my cart right now and have been staring at the ORDER button since yesterday afternoon.  An ECOTI would be my preference, but at this price the COTI is extremely tempting.  If I held out for an ECOTI, it wouldn't be happening for a while.  With no thermal capabilities currently, I'm thinking that something is better than nothing.  I really want to jump on this "deal", but don't want to be kicking myself later either.

For those of you that purchased the COTIs previously, and considering battery pack/cable availability, obsolescence, etc., would you do it again at this price or would you save up some more dollars and just go for the ECOTI?

ETA: FWIW, this would be going on a DTNVS, which I just ordered a month ago, so it's not like I could put it to use immediately anyway.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I would buy again in a heartbeat. 75% performance of an ECOTI at almost 1/3 the cost.

Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top