Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yet another show of impeccable moral character of a "vendor" on AR-15.com. Hats off to TNVC!

OP: you don't need a mawl, but I've used and played with a lot of really high dollar stuff, and it's definitely on my list of things to buy if I ever have a spare $2300 in my pocket. However, for the price of the dbal-d3, I think that'll do juuuust fine for me, probably will for you too, but don't take my word for it. There are events with people with a lot of NV equipment hanging around, and people who will let you play with all of it. Just look for the great peep in the sky.

Don't worry about any of the annecdotal issues people have with NV, if you're good in the dark in the woods, you'll be moving like daylight in no time.

Passive is a good thing. Shoot passive when you can, I suspect many animals can see IR lasers. Foxes, skunks, and I suspect mice can too, not to mention anyone with even gen1 night vision.
View Quote

If anyone is ever in north Texas and wants to check out different stuff im happy to oblige.  I’m usually out hunting 3-5 days a week and if I don’t have something I can usually borrow it with a few days notice.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Side by side, the mawl civilian illuminator is as bright as a restricted dbal-i2 ir/ir, and doesn't have the "pizza" look to it. Food for thought.
View Quote

Yeah the only other one that is as “full” as the MAWL is the NGAL.  I haven’t seen a raidX so don’t know about those.   The Peq15, 15a, 16, LA5, and UHP all have that dark spots pizza look you refer to.  The MAWL and NGAL have Illuminators that seem as full as LED Illuminators
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Night Vision Inc has White for $2499

https://nvincorporated.com/product/night-vision-inc-nv-pvs-14/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NightGoggles has the Echo PVS-14's the lowest price we've seen at $2540.00 for white and $2514 for green.

TNVC is selling echos.  It’s hard to tell what NVI is selling for the lower price.  It’s important to make sure you are comparing apples to apples
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wow. Page 2-3 turned into drama central. This is why the nv forum is never in my reccomendation for newbies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Wow. Page 2-3 turned into drama central. This is why the nv forum is never in my reccomendation for newbies.

It's fine. I can sift through and and find the data, and industry spats aren't really anything I have a stake in, so I'm standing back on that aspect.

Iberia is a decent drive for me. I presume by your user name you also sell said devices? When the time comes, if so, I would definitely be in for a "try and buy" type deal. As it sits, my $2625 is up to a hair over $6K, and I still project a lot of runway.

Right now I am torn on form factor vs. dual-role vs. cost. I know for a fact that once I get NODS, I want the gun ready to run, concurrent with that purchase.

I am looking at several solutions:

-MAWL C1+ and keep my NX8 right where it is.
-KAC RB1 mount with Comp M5 or T2 backed by an Eotech G33 or G45 if they ever drop it. I've shot MOA out to 100 with this setup before on a 1.6" or so mount, and it worked GREAT for me. I don't have holds, obviously, but I don't really NEED holds for my AO and an 11.5" carbine in 5.56, either, so that's not a huge loss. Also add in a Surefire Vampire light my the M300V or M600V, depending. That would offer me a passive setup with a true dual-role carbine, as would the first option with the MAWL, minus the passive part, plus some weight.

My concern is the cheek weld/ability to be precise, for shooting NOT done from the standing, using the RB1 2.33" KAC mount. Prone, seated, etc. I can always add a MAWL later for those who say "YOU NEED A LASER!" Personally, if I had a SOLID passive aiming setup, I would not feel a need for a MAWL for my purposes.

Quoted:

Whatever I get, I want L3 unfilmed WP. Why? I want to see in the dark. The darker, the better, and I want the product that will best allow this. It has b ecome my opinion, right or wrong, that unfilmed L3 tubes pick up more detail in darker conditions than other tubes. This is an ignorant opinion though, and I am obviously open to education otherwise.

Quoted:
Yet another show of impeccable moral character of a "vendor" on AR-15.com. Hats off to TNVC!

OP: you don't need a mawl, but I've used and played with a lot of really high dollar stuff, and it's definitely on my list of things to buy if I ever have a spare $2300 in my pocket. However, for the price of the dbal-d3, I think that'll do juuuust fine for me, probably will for you too, but don't take my word for it. There are events with people with a lot of NV equipment hanging around, and people who will let you play with all of it. Just look for the great peep in the sky.

Don't worry about any of the annecdotal issues people have with NV, if you're good in the dark in the woods, you'll be moving like daylight in no time.

Passive is a good thing. Shoot passive when you can, I suspect many animals can see IR lasers. Foxes, skunks, and I suspect mice can too, not to mention anyone with even gen1 night vision.

This is something I am very interested in doing. As I understand it, a 1.7" mount with an Aimpoint Comp M5/T2 or similar will NOT get it done, and I need to move into the 2.25-2.35" height mount ranges to actually be able to passive aim fluidly? Prone work concerns me, as I shoot prone and seated plenty, and want this to be a dual role gun.

I am pretty set on what NODS I am wanting.

PVS14 Filmless WP, or RNVG filmless WP. Whichever the budget allows for once the stocks I have bought mature enough for me to feel comfortable recalling the money back to my bank account.

https://redbackone.com/products/rb1-high-rise-mount
+
https://www.opticsplanet.com/aimpoint-micro-t-2-red-dot-sight-200170.html
+
https://www.opticsplanet.com/eotech-g33-sts-3-25x-red-dot-sight-magnifier-w-switch-to-side-mount.html
+
https://tnvc.com/shop/surefire-m300v-mini-scout-light/ or https://tnvc.com/shop/surefire-infrared-scoutlight-pro/

=

Still cheaper than a MAWL C1+, and gives me a whole 'nother set of optic. I'd like to avoid the 2.33" and go 1.70" on the mount though, but don't know if I can, and still run it well under a PVS14 or BNVG?

*I picked random vendors to link to. I am not necessarily buying from the links posted, before anyone begins posting "better deals", "they suck", etc. stuff.

ETA:

The more I think about this, the more I dislike the thought of losing the NX8 and having a 2.33" high primary optic. The MAWL just seems like the best solution to me, especially if I choose a PVS-14, as I presume it's easier to use laser than passive through a mono.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:06:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because one of us lowly peasants had the audacity to disagree with the echo chamber

Quoted:
I never had that problem with the MAWL.  I had issues with it retaining zero but my understanding is the new tail cap fixes that issue.  But never had a prob with the Illuminator washing out the laser.
View Quote

Cool, I’m glad for you and honestly wish I hadn’t. I truthfully wanted the MAWL to be as good as the hype sounded. One of the places I frequent is as far north as you can go and still call yourself an American, and they don’t call it the great white North for nothing. I also had washout issues against the extreme green we have here in the summer. It was a repeated problem, so I sold it. However, I didn’t have any issues with mine holding zero at all. So is this the part I’m supposed to point out how much more “qualified” and valuable my opinion is over yours? Or are you ok with having different opinions/experiences? Insert sarcasm.

Quoted:
Side by side, the mawl civilian illuminator is as bright as a restricted dbal-i2 ir/ir, and doesn't have the "pizza" look to it. Food for thought.
View Quote

That illuminator is silky smooth compared to the pizza look. It is every bit as powerful as a full power unit. Drawback, you can’t adjust the width of the MAWL, also food for thought
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's fine. I can sift through and and find the data, and industry spats aren't really anything I have a stake in, so I'm standing back on that aspect.

Iberia is a decent drive for me. I presume by your user name you also sell said devices? When the time comes, if so, I would definitely be in for a "try and buy" type deal. As it sits, my $2625 is up to a hair over $6K, and I still project a lot of runway.

Right now I am torn on form factor vs. dual-role vs. cost. I know for a fact that once I get NODS, I want the gun ready to run, concurrent with that purchase.

I am looking at several solutions:

-MAWL C1+ and keep my NX8 right where it is.
-KAC RB1 mount with Comp M5 or T2 backed by an Eotech G33 or G45 if they ever drop it. I've shot MOA out to 100 with this setup before on a 1.6" or so mount, and it worked GREAT for me. I don't have holds, obviously, but I don't really NEED holds for my AO and an 11.5" carbine in 5.56, either, so that's not a huge loss. Also add in a Surefire Vampire light my the M300V or M600V, depending. That would offer me a passive setup with a true dual-role carbine, as would the first option with the MAWL, minus the passive part, plus some weight.

My concern is the cheek weld/ability to be precise, for shooting NOT done from the standing, using the RB1 2.33" KAC mount. Prone, seated, etc. I can always add a MAWL later for those who say "YOU NEED A LASER!" Personally, if I had a SOLID passive aiming setup, I would not feel a need for a MAWL for my purposes.

Whatever I get, I want L3 unfilmed WP. Why? I want to see in the dark. The darker, the better, and I want the product that will best allow this. It has b ecome my opinion, right or wrong, that unfilmed L3 tubes pick up more detail in darker conditions than other tubes. This is an ignorant opinion though, and I am obviously open to education otherwise.
View Quote

Nope dont sell anything gun related.

Picked this username when I was like 14 on some other forum lol.

Alot of the stuff youre saying is good but its just parroting. You havent experienced the things youre talking about. Come out and check this stuff out. I promise well have everything from every grade of pvs14 from l3 uf wp super tubes to $1.2k used green 14s to look thru. All the duals. And basically all the aiming setups you could want. Free food and beer and camping on site is encouraged.

Come try the things. Learn what you like and dont like. I promise youll have a good time.

No matter what anyone here tells you theres personal preference to alot of this. Some people really dig passive aiming. Me? Not so much but for force on force its nice to not be blasting ir out there. So I practice it when I can. Some people love monos. others claim it gives then headaches.

I used to be of the opinion that 2 tubes>1 tube. But nowadays Id take a super tube 14 over cheapie used duals. Some of that is experience.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct young Padawan. Your path is clear and righteous
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nope dont sell anything gun related.

Picked this username when I was like 14 on some other forum lol.

Alot of the stuff youre saying is good but its just parroting. You havent experienced the things youre talking about. Come out and check this stuff out.
I promise well have everything from every grade of pvs14 from l3 uf wp super tubes to $1.2k used green 14s to look thru. All the duals. And basically all the aiming setups you could want. Free food and beer and camping on site is encouraged.

Come try the things. Learn what you like and dont like. I promise youll have a good time.

No matter what anyone here tells you theres personal preference to alot of this. Some people really dig passive aiming. Me? Not so much but for force on force its nice to not be blasting ir out there. So I practice it when I can. Some people love monos. others claim it gives then headaches.

I used to be of the opinion that 2 tubes>1 tube. But nowadays Id take a super tube 14 over cheapie used duals. Some of that is experience.
View Quote

I would love to, July 15 is a Wed, correct? I could make that happen. My girlfriend would enjoy it as well if she's able to make it.

I agree 100% about personal preference. I use an NX8 over the K16i's that I have sold. Many people would beg to differ, lol!
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would love to, July 15 is a Wed, correct? I could make that happen. My girlfriend would enjoy it as well if she's able to make it.

I agree 100% about personal preference. I use an NX8 over the K16i's that I have sold. Many people would beg to differ, lol!
View Quote

Yeah shoot me a pm and Ill give you the info and my number if you have questions.

Itll start on Wednesday and go till Saturday. But theres no need to stay the whole time unless you want to.

Youre both welcome Ill make sure to add +2 to the food and drink roster.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because one of us lowly peasants had the audacity to disagree with the echo chamber

Cool, I’m glad for you and honestly wish I hadn’t. I truthfully wanted the MAWL to be as good as the hype sounded. One of the places I frequent is as far north as you can go and still call yourself an American, and they don’t call it the great white North for nothing. I also had washout issues against the extreme green we have here in the summer. It was a repeated problem, so I sold it. However, I didn’t have any issues with mine holding zero at all. So is this the part I’m supposed to point out how much more “qualified” and valuable my opinion is over yours? Or are you ok with having different opinions/experiences? Insert sarcasm.

That illuminator is silky smooth compared to the pizza look. It is every bit as powerful as a full power unit. Drawback, you can’t adjust the width of the MAWL, also food for thought
View Quote

With that kind of terrain/climate I can see how you might have issues
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:42:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Peasants? Usually you're referred to as a "Hobbiest"
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:58:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are certainly companies that look down on hunters and hobbyists in the NV industry.  Best I can say is to ignore the internet drama and instead look at what companies say and think about you (and remember it) when you are making purchasing decisions.  Also think about the professionalism you see displayed online.   If you are just a hobbyist or someone shooting hogs in your pasture in their eyes do you think the best tubes are going to you?  Is your money less valuable because you aren’t a door kicker and you saved it up over years?  When I drop $8k on a NVD It doesn’t feel any less important to me because I’m a civilian.  It’s all things to take into consideration when making such a large investment.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:58:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it please the crown, may I please have my opinion back, sir?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:51:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Didn't mean to steal your thunder, carry on.

Quoted:

There are certainly companies that look down on hunters and hobbyists in the NV industry.  Best I can say is to ignore the internet drama and instead look at what companies say and think about you (and remember it) when you are making purchasing decisions.  Also think about the professionalism you see displayed online.   If you are just a hobbyist or someone shooting hogs in your pasture in their eyes do you think the best tubes are going to you?  Is your money less valuable because you aren’t a door kicker and you saved it up over years?  When I drop $8k on a NVD It doesn’t feel any less important to me because I’m a civilian.  It’s all things to take into consideration when making such a large investment.

No doubt and my recent large purchase reflects it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:02:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw a video just now of an M300V (100mw) Surefire, and it was filmed through a PVS14, green Gen 3. For all the world it looked useful out to 200m. Is this little thing THAT potent in IR mode?

Skip to 1:13:

PK M51-WIR IR Weaponlight Night Vision Test
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:13:45 AM EDT
[#16]
It depends on how dark it is. In urban lighting my M622V 120Mv is usable to @ 75-100
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:26:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It depends on how dark it is. In urban lighting my M622V 120Mv is usable to @ 75-100
View Quote

Photonic barriers in my use would be a non-issue. Also, how much "brighter" is 120mw than 100Mw? Are we talking the difference being 20% (which in lumens is nearly imperceptible), or is it not like that?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Photonic barriers in my use would be a non-issue. Also, how much "brighter" is 120mw than 100Mw? Are we talking the difference being 20% (which in lumens is nearly imperceptible), or is it not like that?
View Quote

The difference between led and laser illumination is weird. I have a couple led illuminators but im not a fan for weapon mounting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Depending on how many guns you switch around a DBAL-A4 might be an ok option, TNVC has them on pretty good sale every now and again. Its not as quite as nice as MAWL, but closer than any other class1 Ive used.

I do like having a separate white/IR unit, but the ability to switch the A4 around quickly vs. the MAWL is nice.

All of these are usable under NVG with the IR WML/RMR passive. If I am using them longer range I can pop on the A4.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/47980/IMG_3040-1437317.jpg
View Quote

How is the view over those turrets with the Trijicon RDS?

Leupold just came out with a Deltapoint Pro, which has NV settings now.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How is the view over those turrets with the Trijicon RDS?

Leupold just came out with a Deltapoint Pro, which has NV settings now.
View Quote

Dpp pro is not reliable enough for me. Seen too many shit the bed on uspsa open guns
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I must have struck a nerve pretty bad with @devilwillcry ,sorry if I upset you.

As far as civilians/hobbyists/hunters go, we are all of those and more at TNVC, we also believe civilians should be able to own the same stuff that mil/LE get to use, however we don’t get to make the rules, and have to follow them as dumb as we think they are.
View Quote

Apology accepted but not needed. I have some pretty thick skin and I can defend whatever my position is, because I’ve put work and thought behind it. It seems you still haven’t leaned that someone can have a different opinion than you, and it’s ok to disagree.

My main issue, and I’ve seen this repeatedly in this forum, happens when someone dares to go against the grain. You didn’t agree with my opinion when you saw my interaction with Augee. Cool, I don’t need you or anyone else to agree with my to tell me what does and does not work for me, my eyes, and my gear. The problem starts when you can’t simply disagree and try to get a mob mentality going to do your dirty work for you. Accusing me of being another member, who shared a dislike in the MAWL in a amazingly stupid review, is the level you took this to. Do you even see how ridiculous this is when you step back and look at it? This only hurts the community in the end.

Pissing people off also isn’t the best business model. You should remember that first and foremost you are here representing your company. Your mission is to educate, not shout down different opinions. Victor and yourself both came unhinged in this thread which I find extremely unprofessional. Honestly you two should reevaluate things and leave the Internet stuff to Mr. Kim, he’s way better at it than you two. But Victor is a grown man and I’m not about to tell someone how to run their show.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I never did a side by side, but from memory there is no discernible difference.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Listen, I have no beef with you
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Listen, I have no beef with you

And I have none with you. You’ve always treated me fair, even when we disagree. 95% of those disagreements just so happen to be about lasers

Quoted:

I'm more to the point and less long winded that Augee, and some folks like a straight to the point approach. I also know things Augee doesn't know and Vice versa. If you dont want to be our customer and want to tell your buddies you are free to do so.

As am I for the most part, and certainly more so in person. So I respect a no bull shit and strait to the point approach. Augee does go on for a bit at times, but also has a decent amount of humility.

Did I say I was blacklisting you from people I buy from? I’m fairly neutral when it comes to the Night Vision dealer “wars”, and I buy  from lots of places because firsthand experience is the most valuable to me. Lighten up, and stop taking everything so personal. It was your attitude that I was addressing, not your personality
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 3:27:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a odd? Question.

What if...

I buy a pvs14 + mawl, and leave my NX8 in its 1.70" mount. I run a white light at 10:30, and mawl on the other side. Pvs14 over non-dominant (left, for me) eye. Can I immediately switch to white light and just shoulder the gun and shoot like normal. Or will the pvs14 find a way to get in the way and hit the nx8s objective even though it's over the other eye, or some other variation of "sure sounds good but wont work for shit."?

Obviously this is far beyond passive use as white light is involved.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have a odd? Question.

What if...

I buy a pvs14 + mawl, and leave my NX8 in its 1.70" mount. I run a white light at 10:30, and mawl on the other side. Pvs14 over non-dominant (left, for me) eye. Can I immediately switch to white light and just shoulder the gun and shoot like normal. Or will the pvs14 find a way to get in the way and hit the nx8s objective even though it's over the other eye, or some other variation of "sure sounds good but wont work for shit."?

View Quote

Sounds like a good setup to me. You’re going to bump the 14 off the scope a bit but rolling your head clockwise a bit will give you more room. Then if you need to stay white for a while just flip the 14 up and off.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have a odd? Question.

What if...

View Quote

Yes, that's the common TTP for guys in the Army with PVS-14s and either ACOGs or aimpoints.  Laser/PVS for shooting in the dark, switch to white light/day optic immediately if needed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks. It "sounded good" in my head, but that doesn't mean shit, I've learned, when reality says "nope!"
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 4:33:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I've finally gotten to look through some tubes, my stocks are coming along, and I've made decisions.

RNVG with the Elbit XLS tubes.
Bump helmet w/counterweight
Wilcox mount w/bungee/retention cord setup

URX4 rail
MAWL C1 (mounted right side)
White light provided by Modlite 18350 PLHV2 mounted in an Arisaka in-line mount below the MAWL with a Unity hotbutton on the 11 o'clock Mlok flat controlling the Modlite via a DS00 tail switch (allows constant on if necessary, or hotbutton fails).

Passive aiming isn't important to me, so I will forego this.
The XLS tubes are not the best, but having looked through some, they are PLENTY good enough for me, and in conjunction with the MAWL seem very adequate to my purposes and should take a while to become obsolete functionally, especially in their price range. When this occurs, I can upgrade at my whim.

I would like to thank all of you who gave me advice in this thread, as well as Sam from TNVC who I bothered on the phone, and Shelbysguns, who facilitated me looking through some tubes and also fielded my questions with narry a complaint about my ignorant enthusiasm!

I think the above will provide an excellent setup for me, especially at the given price-point, while allowing my carbine to fulfill day/night roles with minimal impediment to either by the other.

If anyone else has any advice, I would be glad to hear and consider how I could make any better decisions, within this price bracket.

It will still likely be a few months before I order, as I would like to withdraw my stocks no sooner than Jan 1, so as to avoid paying taxes in 2020 on profits. I may use a CC and float the balance until Jan 1, but want to wait a little longer before leaving the market, because I think there is still some profiting to be had before the election, at which point I am uncertain of the volatility that will ensue, regardless of the outcome.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Things are well,  but one more question...the elbit tubes are thin film...this means they can spark or arc or whatever under impact and damage, while L3 filmless...cannot.

Theoretically would a unit pvs or rnvg, that was being worn when a person fell be more damage prone with the elbits, or are they both toast, or is this only for weapon mounted shock and the housings would die in a fall way before the tube? Is there any real or perceived durability advantage to the L3 filmless or Elbit tubes, headmounted?
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

"Spark or arc"??  Where did you hear this?  I've dropped several different types of units (PVS14, BNVDs, Ultralights, etc all with thin film) and customers have tons of times, never heard of anything ever "sparking?"
Maybe I'm not understanding what your trying to say?
View Quote

Spark occurs when an impact/accel/decel event causes the MCP and Photocathode to mash the the thin film of a filmed NVD.

also...I presume this only is possible when the tube is powered?
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What would the user physically see if this happened? I've never experienced this when or after dropping any NODs. Can you explain what the user would physically see?

Since the drop testing is done to 3 and 6m, what kind of drop are you talking about?
View Quote

Black spots. Usually weapon recoil causes it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Needs cured!?!?!? WTF???
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How fragile IS a PVS 14? Is this one less fragile?
https://www.ultimatenightvision.com/L3-Filmless-PVS-14-Vyper-14-p/l3-vyp-14uw.htm

or what about this?
https://tnvc.com/shop/ab-night-vision-mod3-bravo-monocular/

How durable is a DBAL A4? Treat it like a weapon light, or treat it like a cell phone without a case? Will a brake like a MAMS kill it?
View Quote

Saying a pvs-14 is bullshit. Is a RNVG?  No, but fragile?  Give me a break. Sounds like the dumb shit some guys say about ceramic plates.

Do a LOT of research. Don’t listen to any one company. In fact look for a place that does rentals. Then you can try things out instead of spending anywhere from $5000 to 10,000+  off the advice from strangers on the net or guys who are selling something. That’s not an indictment on NV sellers, it’s just smart practice to verify what salesmen tell you.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Saying a pvs-14 is bullshit. Is a RNVG?  No, but fragile?  Give me a break. Sounds like the dumb shit some guys say about ceramic plates.

Do a LOT of research. Don’t listen to any one company. In fact look for a place that does rentals. Then you can try things out instead of spending anywhere from $5000 to 10,000+  off the advice from strangers on the net or guys who are selling something. That’s not an indictment on NV sellers, it’s just smart practice to verify what salesmen tell you.
View Quote

I did get to try some binos and a PVS14 a while back, as per this thread. I liked both. It will depend on how the stock market goes. I currently have enough money for a WP filmless PVS14 + helmet, etc. + MAWL off of the $2800 I invested in March. I am hoping by the time I get toward the end of the year, to have more. We will see. As it stands, I'll spring for the RNVG Elbit setup when it comes back, is my plan.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#44]
I decided to purchase a PVS14. After reviewing the fact that I will pay taxes on my stock profits, as well as the fact that a 14 "definitely gets me in the game", and I moved just fine with one last time I used one, I decided to save the coin on binos and go with a PVS14.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Well she arrived! Carson lenses, Vyper-C body,  L3 UF WP 1701 tube. Thoughts/ideas/how is this?

photocathode 2856k: 2203
EBI: 0.1
Luminescence gain: 64,204
SNR: 34.1
Center Res: 64
Center Res (high light): 36
Halo: 0.7

Zone 1: Clean, Zone 2, Clean, Zone 3 (One) blem, 0.003-0.006
(X) Dark Spots </=0.003 are acceptable

oddly, there was only 1 blem on the L3 sheet, but I've found a couple, lol! Overall I'm very pleased as the only one I really notice is the one at around 8:30, and I'm assured it's okay and won't enlarge or anything bad/isn't a sign of air at the tube or anything funky.

Tonight was a very dark night. Cloud cover, no stars, and I live in the middle of nowhere (taken sometime after midnight with full cloud cover).

This thing soaks up light! It was EXTREMELY dark with no moon, no stars, no artificial light sources.

This was taken a bit earlier, around 10pm, when the clouds still had a bit more glow to them:

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You did GREAT!

And nice array also, what total KW are you running?
View Quote

Thank-you! This is my first tube, and so of course every blem, the backlash in the diopter ring, all that stuff has me looking at it thrice, lol!

It is 12.95kW of Silfab panels funneled through  11.4kW worth of SMA inverters (5.0 and 6.0). My goal was to eliminate my electric bill 7-9 months out of the year, and halve it during the winter. So far, it's right on.

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What you running for a battery bank? Or just grid tied?
View Quote

Grid tied. We have net metering, which means it's 1:1 all month long, but at the end of the month, I am credited 20% for what I return, basically, so I tried to size the system as close to break-even as possible as outlined above because it was an expense (more panel/inverter) that I would not capitalize on.
Batteries are expensive and have a finite life span, too, so I opted for grid tie as I would STILL need grid tie during the winter unless I had a LOT of battery, as my home is electric/heat pump only, and it gets into the negatives here for a week or two every winter.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top