Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 121
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wmcray:

Ordered.  Thanks for posting.  Been following this thread for a bit.  BTW  shows only 1 left in stock.
View Quote
aaand they are gone - coupon cabin might have another cash back bonus or Adorama may have a black friday deal but I would not hold my breath
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:08:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zhass] [#2]
Got mine unfortunately I sold my only ir capable sight when I sold my pvs14.. gonna have to find something cheap
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Willz:

Does not have its own reticle.

"A custom designed mount firmly attaches the Aurora to any Picatinny rail allowing hunters to mount Aurora stand alone or in front of their existing day scope. When extra illumination is desired, an Infrared (IR) illuminator, matched to the Aurora field of view is included. The light from the IR illuminator is 940nm and entirely invisible, allowing hunters to remain stealth while stalking their prey. Two 32GB microSD cards, extra camera battery, 12VDC and AC battery chargers, USB cable, and lanyard complete the package in a sturdy, waterproof case."
View Quote
It's all digital, man.  Easy upgrade, just a software release.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By tabascobilly:

It's all digital, man.  Easy upgrade, just a software release.
View Quote
I'm hoping this is the case, would think it's just a somewhat easy addition to firmware.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe it would be.  This thing truly has brought the long talked-about "future" to our doorsteps right now.

Will it continue to improve with newer internals and models?  Sure.  But as it stands now, this little marvel has just kicked off the next chapter in NV that we've been waiting for the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone built a j-arm for this yet? If not, I'd love to take a shot at it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Do it
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I will.  I'd need to collaborate with an owner for dims n stuff.  Prototype would be kind of crude to prove concept.  I'm thinking it'd be reversible, attach to a dovetail and be made from AL.

If anyone is interested please contact me PM or email.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:55:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MetalFishX] [#9]
This looks like it might work.
All the pictures I have seen of the aurora have the 1/4-20 threaded bit inline with the square ocular viewing window.

I have no idea but this is what I might recommend a friend to look into trying. It could take some light machining.

Wilcox adapter shoe

Red Queen Bridge
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I am hearing these might be good when there isn't allot of movement but if using on a helmet while running/driving... even walking... the results may not be great? Any input here?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I was really close to pulling the trigger on one of these today. I don't know exactly what it is but something is holding me back. In some ways it looks better than a GenIII PVS14 and in other ways not as good. I'd light to get into nightvision but price right now is just prohibitive for me to get a good unit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Styer:
I was really close to pulling the trigger on one of these today. I don't know exactly what it is but something is holding me back. In some ways it looks better than a GenIII PVS14 and in other ways not as good. I'd light to get into nightvision but price right now is just prohibitive for me to get a good unit.
View Quote
Keep an eye on the EE.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Night-Vision/172/?page=1
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#13]
OK - just got mine today from Adorama

Looks smaller than I thought and much lighter too
Makes an annoying chime/song when turning on though. Have to figure out how to turn that off...not very opsec

Also, the front lens has zero lip to protect from bumps/scratches so I'll be looking for some sort of ARDish or clear scope flip cap to protect it?

Any leads on this would be appreciated
also any weapon/scope mounts to position it in line with my LPVO
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Using my OriginCal certified calipers I am getting 49.5mm OD for the objective scope cap ID dim
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#15]
OK - tried it out in side room with door slightly cracked open. No bueno. Definitely needs an IR illuminator
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:37:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zhass] [#16]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
OK - tried it out in side room with door slightly cracked open. No bueno. Definitely needs an IR illuminator
View Quote
You try it outside in moonlight or near darkness yet? Will be interesting to compare it to my atn x-sight ii Hd when it comes next week. Not expecting a huge improvement but believe it will be better. One big downside to digital is definitely the need for ir but at this point that's expected.. it's not passive like a higher end gen3.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Also, the front lens has zero lip to protect from bumps/scratches so I'll be looking for some sort of ARDish or clear scope flip cap to protect it?

Any leads on this would be appreciated
View Quote
Rubber hood and 'skylight' protective lens.

49mm rubber hood and lens might work for the digital night vision device. I bet you can find some that have no tinting but this was as close as i found. From what I was reading about the Skylight tint, it could be beneficial for what I see when i watch videos of that unit (but I don't really have any idea.)
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 1:55:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Makes an annoying chime/song when turning on though. Have to figure out how to turn that off...not very opsec
View Quote
Chime can be turned off in Settings.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:08:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Nada-Nada:
I am hearing these might be good when there isn't allot of movement but if using on a helmet while running/driving... even walking... the results may not be great? Any input here?
View Quote
From my own testing trying to navigate on foot with the Aurora head-mounted, in its current form it doesn't measure up to Get 3 (maybe even some Get 2) analog NVGs. There is a little bit of lag which needs to be taken into account. The screen needs to be a bit larger. Lastly the unaided light-gathering capability is just not to the level of Gen 3 and most Gen 2 I've had experience with.

That said, in the right lighting conditions or with the aid of supplemental IR light, the color night vision capabilities of the Aurora are remarkable. Never has the digital future of night vision been so apparent.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By C3N4-1:

From my own testing trying to navigate on foot with the Aurora head-mounted, in its current form it doesn't measure up to Get 3 (maybe even some Get 2) analog NVGs. There is a little bit of lag which needs to be taken into account. The screen needs to be a bit larger. Lastly the unaided light-gathering capability is just not to the level of Gen 3 and most Gen 2 I've had experience with.

That said, in the right lighting conditions or with the aid of supplemental IR light, the color night vision capabilities of the Aurora are remarkable. Never has the digital future of night vision been so apparent.
View Quote
Interesting. Thanks for the commentary.

Can't wait to see what will come of this. Hopefully Aurora or others use this technology to serve the NVG market in future revs - mounts, screens, hoods, real time processing, etc....
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd be looking for ATN (or Aurora) to update the X-Sight 4k Pro with this tech or its upgraded version in a year.  ~$1200 for a color 4k Pro sounds about right.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Nick has been playing with the Aurora a bunch lately - probably answers some of the questions y’all have been having https://instagram.com/solscud007
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#23]
How far do you think a downloadable software upgrade could go regarding image clarity and other features?

I would be pissed if I bought one and they released a "tactical" version soon after.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I just received mine. First time with anything night vision capable. This thing has lots of potential. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that the entire eyepiece, including the view screen remove to insert the battery and sd card. A bigger viewscreen, rubber eyepiece, or round viewscreen should all be easy to add to this unit. I roughly hung it in front of a Vortex Strike Eagle set at 1x and found it to be a very usable picture.
Mounting it behind a PA red dot seems to be workable as well, but that may take longer to figure out.
I can see two of these in my future, one gun mounted, one helmet mounted.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone figure out a head or helmet mount yet ?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#26]
If the makers are paying attention, they could make a dedicated monocular without some of the other modes with a form factor that works with existing PVS-14 accessories relatively easy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:02:11 AM EDT
[#27]
This little marvel definitely kicks ass.  A lot of people like to overuse the phrase "game changer" to mundane and ordinary performers, but when a real game changer comes along, they often miss it entirely.

This monocular is the door kicker sent by the digital NV to start fiestas, it has definitely arrived.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Holy shit. The future is now boys. I'll pull the trigger when the Gen 2 comes out, hopefully a "tactical" model with all the fixes that have been mentioned.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:06:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DirtyHandsRob] [#29]
if anyone is will to let me borrow one in early January for some hunting, etc, i'd appreciate it.  send me a PM if you want to chat.

ETA: it will be used to film the hunts or target shooting on a tripod, it won't be helmet mounted or anything like that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Received mine a few days ago and what little I have used it I am very impressed.  These attached pictures do not do it justice.  
Very small and lightweight

Pic off deck using Samsung Note 8

Twilight mode

Night mode

All pictures just handheld and didn't spend  alot of time messing with focus.  Will try and get more pictures over the weekend with and without IR and on a tripod.  Above pictures no IR was used.  The Twilight Mode is impressive but to me the Full Night mode is alot cleaner picture.

Anyone looked into a extra battery source from Amazon?  I have not yet but would like to get a few more batteries and a charger for them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By fortydelta:
How far do you think a downloadable software upgrade could go regarding image clarity and other features?
View Quote
bumping my question.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#32]
bumping my question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
bumping my question.
I think the sensor is the limiting factor for image quality. No idea about features.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Wmcray:
Received mine a few days ago and what little I have used it I am very impressed.  These attached pictures do not do it justice.  
Very small and lightweight
https://i.imgur.com/WMiZmIJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RYqTgEo.jpg
Pic off deck using Samsung Note 8
https://i.imgur.com/V33cMez.jpg
Twilight mode
https://i.imgur.com/M8KOWSA.jpg
Night mode
https://i.imgur.com/OExXN4G.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5MhBtId.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DlXd67D.jpg

All pictures just handheld and didn't spend  alot of time messing with focus.  Will try and get more pictures over the weekend with and without IR and on a tripod.  Above pictures no IR was used.  The Twilight Mode is impressive but to me the Full Night mode is alot cleaner picture.

Anyone looked into a extra battery source from Amazon?  I have not yet but would like to get a few more batteries and a charger for them.
View Quote
Very common battery
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Has anyone seen their Facebook or Instagram? They posted about using a MUM and Wilcox mount. They talked about being able to use them as binoculars.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:25:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kel] [#35]
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#36]
wow....
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#37]
I bought a set of NP-50 batteries with a charger on Amazon for around $14 I believe.  They are decent, and the charger is nice to have so you don't have to charge in the camera.  I think the usable capacity is about 10-15% less than the stock battery though.  If I ever need extra batteries, I will be looking for cells made in Japan instead of China.  I suspect they quality might be higher for a dollar or two more.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#38]
If this camera charges off a usb cord, then can you add an external power supply?
Seems like it would work. I don't own one, so I don't know.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By kel:
There’s work being done on a J-Arm option to fit this.

As far as a “tactical” version, software update could easily put a reticle in there (more gun-specific than the reticle that’s in the settings already used by boaters to find horizon).

There IS an “Explorer Edition” that just dropped: comes with a case, rail mounts IR Torch, car charger, extra batteries, etc.

http://i64.tinypic.com/11v5gs9.jpg

Info:

“SiOnyx Introduces the Aurora Explorers Edition
Aurora color night vision camera now bundled with accessories for hunting enthusiasts

SiOnyx™, a leader in low light imaging technology – today announced the Aurora Explorers Edition. The Explorers Edition bundles the award-winning Aurora color night vision action camera with the most sought-after accessories for the hunting enthusiast. Pre-orders for the Explorers Edition are now being accepted at www.sionyx.com.

“After looking at the Aurora we are amazed at its capabilities and see many applications for it in the outdoors. We believe it will allow hunters to film hunts in conditions that were impossible to film in previously. We look forward to using Aurora in the future”

A custom designed mount firmly attaches the Aurora to any Picatinny rail allowing hunters to mount Aurora stand alone or in front of their existing day scope. When extra illumination is desired, an Infrared (IR) illuminator, matched to the Aurora field of view is included. The light from the IR illuminator is 940nm and entirely invisible, allowing hunters to remain stealth while stalking their prey. Two 32GB microSD cards, extra camera battery, 12VDC and AC battery chargers, USB cable, and lanyard complete the package in a sturdy, waterproof case.

The Explorers Edition has a MSRP of $999 but for a limited time only, hunting enthusiasts will be able to pre-order the bundle for $899. The Explorers Edition is expected to begin shipping by December 15th in time for the Holidays.

“The high resolution, color night vision image of the Aurora gives me the ability to distinguish between predator and livestock,” said Tucker Conway, owner, Texas Bottom Land Night Hunts. “Aurora also sees through glass, allowing me to keep mobile while monitoring and recording predator movements from inside my truck.”

Aurora is more than a feature packed action camera, it’s an engaging user experience.

Small and light-weight, Aurora has an integrated HD OLED display for real time color night vision. Aurora opens the door for a wide range of uses including hunting, fishing, boating, nature watching, emergency response and other activities where visibility into the night is of importance.

“After looking at the Aurora we are amazed at its capabilities and see many applications for it in the outdoors. We believe it will allow hunters to film hunts in conditions that were impossible to film in previously. We look forward to using Aurora in the future,” Jackie Bushman, Founder & CEO Buckmasters Ltd.

Designed for an active outdoor lifestyle, Aurora is IP67 water resistant, GPS, digital compass, and WiFi enabled, and captures your experiences in high quality still, burst or 720p video.

Aurora is based on SiOnyx’s Ultra Low Light technology that until now was only available in night vision devices costing thousands of dollars more.”

View Quote
Though the mount is probably just ok and who knows who makes the IR illuminator, that still seems like a hell of a good deal.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By M4:
Though the mount is probably just ok and who knows who makes the IR illuminator, that still seems like a hell of a good deal.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4:

As far as a “tactical” version, software update could easily put a reticle in there (more gun-specific than the reticle that’s in the settings already used by boaters to find horizon).

There IS an “Explorer Edition” that just dropped: comes with a case, rail mounts IR Torch, car charger, extra batteries, etc.

Info:

Aurora color night vision camera now bundled with accessories for hunting enthusiasts

SiOnyx™, a leader in low light imaging technology – today announced the Aurora Explorers Edition. The Explorers Edition bundles the award-winning Aurora color night vision action camera with the most sought-after accessories for the hunting enthusiast. Pre-orders for the Explorers Edition are now being accepted at www.sionyx.com.

“After looking at the Aurora we are amazed at its capabilities and see many applications for it in the outdoors. We believe it will allow hunters to film hunts in conditions that were impossible to film in previously. We look forward to using Aurora in the future”

A custom designed mount firmly attaches the Aurora to any Picatinny rail allowing hunters to mount Aurora stand alone or in front of their existing day scope. When extra illumination is desired, an Infrared (IR) illuminator, matched to the Aurora field of view is included. The light from the IR illuminator is 940nm and entirely invisible, allowing hunters to remain stealth while stalking their prey. Two 32GB microSD cards, extra camera battery, 12VDC and AC battery chargers, USB cable, and lanyard complete the package in a sturdy, waterproof case.

The Explorers Edition has a MSRP of $999 but for a limited time only, hunting enthusiasts will be able to pre-order the bundle for $899. The Explorers Edition is expected to begin shipping by December 15th in time for the Holidays.

“The high resolution, color night vision image of the Aurora gives me the ability to distinguish between predator and livestock,” said Tucker Conway, owner, Texas Bottom Land Night Hunts. “Aurora also sees through glass, allowing me to keep mobile while monitoring and recording predator movements from inside my truck.”

Aurora is more than a feature packed action camera, it’s an engaging user experience.

Small and light-weight, Aurora has an integrated HD OLED display for real time color night vision. Aurora opens the door for a wide range of uses including hunting, fishing, boating, nature watching, emergency response and other activities where visibility into the night is of importance.

“After looking at the Aurora we are amazed at its capabilities and see many applications for it in the outdoors. We believe it will allow hunters to film hunts in conditions that were impossible to film in previously. We look forward to using Aurora in the future,” Jackie Bushman, Founder & CEO Buckmasters Ltd.

Designed for an active outdoor lifestyle, Aurora is IP67 water resistant, GPS, digital compass, and WiFi enabled, and captures your experiences in high quality still, burst or 720p video.

Aurora is based on SiOnyx’s Ultra Low Light technology that until now was only available in night vision devices costing thousands of dollars more.”

Now that Wilcox appears to be on board, plus the new bundle coming out etc., this might be for real instead of a one off novelty. Will probably look into getting one after the crazy season ends.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By postpostban:
If this camera charges off a usb cord, then can you add an external power supply?
Seems like it would work. I don't own one, so I don't know.
View Quote
I vaguely remember the manual or FAQ's mentioning that you cannot power the camera from the charging port, but I may be mistaken.  Battery changes are easy and quick, even in the dark though.  My 2 spare batteries should be all I'll ever need, and they are certainly small enough to fit in the change pocket of Levi's.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#42]
They posted pics and more detail of the Wilcox mount on the FB page.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:27:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kel] [#43]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Info:

View Quote
This may push me over the edge...
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By GripnAK47s:
They posted pics and more detail of the Wilcox mount on the FB page.
View Quote
For those of us who don't do FB....can someone post a pic here?
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By draver:

I vaguely remember the manual or FAQ's mentioning that you cannot power the camera from the charging port, but I may be mistaken.  Battery changes are easy and quick, even in the dark though.  My 2 spare batteries should be all I'll ever need, and they are certainly small enough to fit in the change pocket of Levi's.
View Quote
It would be nice to hang a usb battery charger in a Mohawk as a counter weight and keep the camera going.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Boom. Dual head-mounted Auroras courtesy of Wilcox and SiOnyx:

If the image doesn't display, it's on SiOnyx's Facebook page.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Boom. Dual head-mounted Auroras courtesy of Wilcox and SiOnyx:https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/47365185_529947530842991_3605302419933626368_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=cebef83b2b80705dc721785e65711c6d&oe=5CB02030

View Quote
That bridge costs as much as one Aurora.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Boom. Dual head-mounted Auroras courtesy of Wilcox and SiOnyx:https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/47365185_529947530842991_3605302419933626368_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=cebef83b2b80705dc721785e65711c6d&oe=5CB02030

It’s Wilcox. It’s worth every penny.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
I’m sure mod armory will come out with an adapter for there bridge if There’s enough intrest
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top