Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 121
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SteyrAugz:

The display should be a ski google type format, the sensors... maybe integrated to the top of those, but maybe separately helmet mounted for early generation, heavier/heat generating components mounted to the top, side back of the helmet.

View Quote

"Legacy" formats work - everybody knows how to integrate them with all the gear. This "VR" type stuff will have to be proven in a hundred different ways before people will buy in. How do you "come off" a Ski/VR Goggle? How do stay "on", yet have unobstructed "under and around" vision? How do you transition to White Light with unobstructed 180 degree FOV? Fogging during a ND Winter? Or a FL Everglades Summer? How hot are they? Etc... Baby steps.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

"Legacy" formats work - everybody knows how to integrate them with all the gear. This "VR" type stuff will have to be proven in a hundred different ways before people will buy in. How do you "come off" a Ski/VR Goggle? How do stay "on", yet have unobstructed "under and around" vision? How do you transition to White Light with unobstructed 180 degree FOV? Fogging during a ND Winter? Or a FL Everglades Summer? How hot are they? Etc... Baby steps.
View Quote

Only way to prove it is to take the first (baby) step.

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:54:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#3]

Not to mention - Joe Average who, just trolls IG mfgs, is going to get an XLS GP 14 for about $100 more. Photonis Echos are $300 more, and anything better than those, you're in the 3's + (this just one suppliers pricing, YMMV). Using the EE or like, will net better I'm sure, but are those warranties transferable? And, if you qualify, hopefully places like ExpertVoice are about $250-$500 cheaper. Grey Scale or Color, GPS and Compass (probably). Maybe Bluetooth (like Thermals) for all sorts of integration. Zero tube damage worry. Probably still not ITAR.

It'll all depend on what the Sensor can do - it sounds like this is an offshoot of the IVAS Sensor. And I mean c.o.m.e. - o.n... "Build us just an NVD, no camera BS...make it more sensitive and lower latency". OK, here... "What!? it's not under $1K!? Boooooooo, you suck!" LOL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I will take 2500 Digital NV. Easily more for that matter.

If it breaks the legacy NV tube format and is competitive performance wise.

Not to mention - Joe Average who, just trolls IG mfgs, is going to get an XLS GP 14 for about $100 more. Photonis Echos are $300 more, and anything better than those, you're in the 3's + (this just one suppliers pricing, YMMV). Using the EE or like, will net better I'm sure, but are those warranties transferable? And, if you qualify, hopefully places like ExpertVoice are about $250-$500 cheaper. Grey Scale or Color, GPS and Compass (probably). Maybe Bluetooth (like Thermals) for all sorts of integration. Zero tube damage worry. Probably still not ITAR.

It'll all depend on what the Sensor can do - it sounds like this is an offshoot of the IVAS Sensor. And I mean c.o.m.e. - o.n... "Build us just an NVD, no camera BS...make it more sensitive and lower latency". OK, here... "What!? it's not under $1K!? Boooooooo, you suck!" LOL.

@SteyrAugz

My comments are based on today. Not what the future has to offer. I would equally be interested in similarly priced digital NV that is just as good or outperforms analog.  

@mickdonaldson & Augz

My point is this:
You cannot make a digital device currently that both satisfies the under 1K crowd, and also performs so well that analog dudes like myself will sell all their stuff and convert over.
     I have bought 6 of the 8 gen3 14s I’ve owned for less than $2,500.

So what can they do? Do the one thing they can. Which is satisfy the customer base that initially made them rich from the Aurora by purpose making it a headworn device and improve some lag and low light performance.

Over time the money they would make (if kept affordable), would have allowed them to gradually improve over time. Instead, they have a new $2,500 product that many have no use for or can’t afford.

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By French1966:

@mickdonaldson

My point is this:
You cannot make a digital device currently that both satisfies the under 1K crowd, and also performs so well that analog dudes like myself will sell all their stuff and convert over.

So what can they do? Do the one thing they can. Which is satisfy the customer base that initially made them rich from the Aurora by purpose making it a headworn device and improve some lag and low light performance.

Over time the money they would make (if kept affordable), would have allowed them to gradually improve over time. Instead, they have a new $2,500 product that many have no use for or can’t afford.

View Quote

What if it's as good as the best 14, does color, has GPS and Compass, Bluetooth for their ATAK like app, and you can travel to foreign countries with it (Mexico Vacation!)? You wouldn't want it? This is all (including my posts) internet BS until its a reality. I do agree with your first part, that you can't make a 14 Killer for $1K.  What you suggest may not be feasible (evolutionary upgrade vs revolutionary new product) - assuming the Sensor is from the IVAS project - maybe it just cost that damn much? And again, dudes who "know", can get high spec gear at good prices, but the average person just goes to a website and orders - those prices I listed earlier, were from such a site, and $2600 was the bottom spec 14 with Elbit XLS. We'll see in the Summer!
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]

https://i.imgur.com/2CVDdJY.png

View Quote

I used to be that dude - most of the new wiz-bang gear, gets tested and "PR'd" by the Aggressor Platoon (Merrill's) at Ranger School (HHC 4th RTB). I wouldn't want to wear that thing for longer than it took to take the pics I want to see stud head out to Lightening Road and do the Land Nav Course - in August at Ft. Benning - in that thing A covert surveillance tool, it is not, LOL. I get it though, stuff *will* progress and be different, just not sure that now is the time for Sionyx to try it with a retail product for the masses.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Yup

And it may prove out that having the eyepiece and inch in front of the eye on non-closed goggles that you flip up is ultimately better? Or maybe the other integrated enhancements are such that total immersion is tolerable and better after training. Either way - what is pictured there - goggles strapped around the helmet is likely not the be all solution - as I think some method to flip them out of the way and back is needed if they were to remain goggles/full immersion. These are just protos in any event.

My point with the benefits of the digital format is that this new sionyx seems to just take on the format of the analog tube  rather than approach of from an ideal format. The analog tube HAS to be that way. And your hanging a relatively heavy tube or tubes from the front of your helmet and this requires all kinds of counter weights, systems, etc.

This can be improved with digital and will be. Even if you need flip up capability and a gap - a few eye pieces an in front of the eye connected on a lighter weight flip up mount can be built for a digital system connected electronically to the rest of the systems which mount elsewhere. Sensors, Cameras, etc mounted on the helmet on top or at the brim. The processing power, batteries at the back, etc.

Assuming digital catches up / is equal to analog - this is the first major advantage IMO. Breaking from from the heavy tubes, required mounting, etc. You break the form factor entirely.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 6:42:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#7]

What if it's as good as the best 14, does color, has GPS and Compass, Bluetooth for their ATAK like app, and you can travel to foreign countries with it (Mexico Vacation!)? You wouldn't want it? This is all (including my posts) internet BS until its a reality. I do agree with your first part, that you can't make a 14 Killer for $1K.  What you suggest may not be feasible (evolutionary upgrade vs revolutionary new product) - assuming the Sensor is from the IVAS project - maybe it just cost that damn much? And again, dudes who "know", can get high spec gear at good prices, but the average person just goes to a website and orders - those prices I listed earlier, were from such a site, and $2600 was the bottom spec 14 with Elbit XLS. We'll see in the Summer!
View All Quotes

@mickdonaldson

My point is this:

Read my comment to Augz. I would absolutely want one. Like you said though, thats not a reality yet.

Your pros of a digital system potential are spot on.

My price mentioned wasn’t challenging what you said earlier about common prices. You were accurate. I was just saying that they have a lot of competition in the $2,500 price range (because gen3 can often be had for much less). I agree though, most people aren’t like us forum dudes that wait on excellent deals to pop up and shop really intelligently. Most have cash burning a hole in their pocket and will buy from the first vendor they call up.

My question is:
You have $2,500. Knowing what you know as a seemingly experienced NV buyer/forum-goer, are you willing to spend it on this new SIONYX product or would you just buy a gen3 14?

Question for the dudes who spent $700-$1,000 on the Aurora:
Are you looking at their $2,500 digital system as your next upgrade? Or are you just going to buy a Gen3 14?

The answer to those last questions is what will help or hurt Sionyx moving forward. In order for them to get maximum profit off this new unit, they need to reach the two demographics I just mentioned.

I also agree with Augz’s point about the format. To the best of my knowledge, there is no reason to copy the physical design/format that is required with tubular analog unit. They could have configured it however they wanted. I guess they chose to cash in on the iconic and familiar look of the 14.

I want to see mass popularization if this stuff, because it will benefit every NV enthusiast in more ways than one
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:27:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#8]

Are you looking at their $2,500 digital system as your next upgrade? Or are you just going to buy a Gen3 14?

View Quote
I bought in on page 14 or something of this thread for $500 on a 'used once to walk around the neighborhood' Aurora. I've been using my OG Aurora to hunt for many years and really like it.  

But for $2,500 I'm buying analog.

I don't care about Bluetooth, or a compass, or color. I care about low light performance and price. If all things are equal when it comes to price, I'm looking at low light performance, and I know gen 3 can do that.

Not to mention a digital device probably has inherently more that can go wrong with it from an electronic standpoint than an analog system.  10-year warranty from an Aurora? No chance in hell.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#9]
What is Sionyx “normal” markdown from MSRP? 20-30%, or Black Friday type pricing?  Of this thing was under 2K and meets their claims, how much more thought would you give it?  

Seams pretty decent from the first look.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]
At its current price point and specs, I would chose analog over it.

For 2,500 it should have been at least a bino setup. But I'm sure they'll have that retail model for $3,500-$4,000.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:25:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#11]

https://i.imgur.com/2CVDdJY.png

View Quote

They did and the IVAS project was killed in Oct/Nov last year.  

There are many good reasons for this some of which @mickdonaldson has touched on but others include:

(a)  Loss of situational awareness
(b)  Information overload
(c)  Power consumption
(d)  Operational comfort
(e)  EM/RF signature
(f)  Reliability
(g)  Low light capability

Can you use an IVAS configuration with a CBRN mask? answer no - end of discussion

I'm all for the development of digital night vision equipment and indeed own an Aurora Pro - its excellent as an observation tool and is transportable e.g. non ITAR.  

The other reality is, pure standalone digital isn't quite there yet although there are good hybrid (analogue-digital) systems in use with the mil (not available to public).

You have to keep in mind there is a complete ecosystem around what you describe as "legacy" systems that reflect a huge R and D effort supplanted by real world conflict driven feedback.  Just because something looks old doesn't mean it doesn't excel at its primary function.

Peripheral vision, eye relief, exit pupil, low RF/EM and air flow matter a lot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JAD762:

@sabre331

I know its been a while since you posted this, but do you know the distances to the trailer & treeline in your pic?
View Quote
Close to 50 yds to the trees
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GroundhogOZ:
View All Quotes

There are several legitimate concerns here. My outlook is that several are non-issues with digital systems, several are immediately improved, some need work.

IMO, non-issues. Why non issues? You can put eye pieces for a digital system in the same position as legacy tubes. You can choose how much or how little information is integrated. These are choices, the digital has no impact on these - in fact only offers more flexibility.
(a)  Loss of situational awareness
(b)  Information overload
Peripheral vision, eye relief, exit pupil, and air flow matter a lot

These are engineering challenges, I presume can be overcome.... many digital systems are used in war theaters today and are critical and meet these requirements. Yet, I acknowledge these are systems that have to be packeged for an individual warrior and still meet the requirements. It will be done though, IMO.
(c)  Power consumption
(e)  EM/RF signature
(f)  Reliability

This is similar to the engineering challenges above, of course digital will not take over(MIL) until it adds the same capability as analog. It make take years or a decade. Who knows. We're clearly not there yet.
(g)  Low light capability

This is the most obviously easily improved. Perhaps you can make the system lighter weight, but even if the same you can distribute the weight differently. Legacy tubes force you into a specific form factor.
(d)  Operational comfort

This again is only improved with digital once you break free from the tube format. Digital wins in this category. You will be able to have CBRN with integrated NV if you want.
Can you use an IVAS configuration with a CBRN mask? answer no - end of discussion

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:39:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#14]

Read my comment to Augz. I would absolutely want one. Like you said though, thats not a reality yet.

Your pros of a digital system potential are spot on.

My price mentioned wasn’t challenging what you said earlier about common prices. You were accurate. I was just saying that they have a lot of competition in the $2,500 price range (because gen3 can often be had for much less). I agree though, most people aren’t like us forum dudes that wait on excellent deals to pop up and shop really intelligently. Most have cash burning a hole in their pocket and will buy from the first vendor they call up.

My question is:
You have $2,500. Knowing what you know as a seemingly experienced NV buyer/forum-goer, are you willing to spend it on this new SIONYX product or would you just buy a gen3 14?

The answer to those last questions is what will help or hurt Sionyx moving forward. In order for them to get maximum profit off this new unit, they need to reach the two demographics I just mentioned.

I also agree with Augz’s point about the format. To the best of my knowledge, there is no reason to copy the physical design/format that is required with tubular analog unit. They could have configured it however they wanted. I guess they chose to cash in on the iconic and familiar look of the 14.

I want to see mass popularization if this stuff, because it will benefit every NV enthusiast in more ways than one
View Quote

Good points - for me (setting aside I'll buy it anyway) - it would depend on just how much better they got the Sensor Light Collection. If I can be standing in the open, under Moonless Starlight, and *then* walk into a thickly wooded area in the summer (leaves) and still have a usable image - I'm in. That's where the current Pro falls behind - once you start blocking out the 360 degrees of light collection. I agree - this at $2.5K (but hopefully $2K on ExpertVoice, etc...) or a 14 is a huge obstacle. Same image? - Obstacle gets smaller.

I'd much rather have this, than have them go "hey boss, we can do what they want, but it'll be $2500, what say ye?" - - -  "Nah, just keep selling the Pro, maybe next year". This years stuff, leads to next years stuff, etc.... "We" probably had a lot of our input used, for the OPSIN. Any potential buyers will be educated 'Prosumers' - they'll know if it fills a need for *them*, we'll see how she sells, the market dictates
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Couple Shot Show 2022 videos…not sure if it helps anyone, but I’m intrigued:

@SIONYXnightvision Opsin Digital Color NVG
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:56:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#16]

There are several legitimate concerns here. My outlook is that several are non-issues with digital systems, several are immediately improved, some need work.

IMO, non-issues. Why non issues? You can put eye pieces for a digital system in the same position as legacy tubes. You can choose how much or how little information is integrated. These are choices, the digital has no impact on these - in fact only offers more flexibility.

These are engineering challenges, I presume can be overcome.... many digital systems are used in war theaters today and are critical and meet these requirements. Yet, I acknowledge these are systems that have to be packeged for an individual warrior and still meet the requirements. It will be done though, IMO.

This is similar to the engineering challenges above, of course digital will not take over(MIL) until it adds the same capability as analog. It make take years or a decade. Who knows. We're clearly not there yet.

This is the most obviously easily improved. Perhaps you can make the system lighter weight, but even if the same you can distribute the weight differently. Legacy tubes force you into a specific form factor.

This again is only improved with digital once you break free from the tube format. Digital wins in this category. You will be able to have CBRN with integrated NV if you want.

View Quote

And yet IVAS was cancelled

Why? Hint see my post above

There is a lot happening in the analogue-digital space, there are some great technologies out there - they are just not available to the general public.  

Emissions (active and passive) are one of the biggest challenges facing the modern military in a peer to peer conflict, its not just a physics/engineering challenge but both a strategic and tactical one.

In regard to the use of CBRN masks - its what you have available now and not what may happen in 10 years - the solutions are in fact known, but they are very expensive.  Moreover, you have to factor in mask operator ergonomics in use with other equipment - there are very good reasons why most current CBRN masks have flat round lenses that are positioned the way they are (image distortion and the ability to get a cheek weld).  

In regard to the SiOnyx product - I note they back lit the "indoor" display with what appear to be two LEDs :)  Note the shadows in the video demo.

Also, I would take SiOnyx marketing with a pinch of salt - with the Aurora they made endless claims in relation to comparative capability with analogue systems and in relation to augmented reality.  The truth being it had nowhere near the low level light capability of a fairly standard Gen2+ device and the AR never worked.

This doesn't mean I think the Aurora Pro is a poor product - I don't, I think its an excellent observation tool particularly paired with 940nm illuminators.  

I look forward to seeing the real world reviews of the new SiOnyx product.    
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By sabre331:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sabre331:
Originally Posted By JAD762:

@sabre331

I know its been a while since you posted this, but do you know the distances to the trailer & treeline in your pic?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 3:11:24 AM EDT
[#18]

There are many good reasons for this some of which @mickdonaldson has touched on but others include:
View Quote

Some features they were promising were a scam.   Like, 100%, pull-from-ass, completely made up, someone is on the take.

If the .mil was actually paying attention - and that's debatable - then the experience may sour them on this sort of tech for a while.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Nick Chen posted some info on his IG - the two takeaways are:

1. His words: "The test room was DARK!" - so this thing is sensitive AF. He put up a short vid.

2. Unfortunately for users like me (HMT on a Bridge with an Iray) - it is currently going to be an 'Out Of The Box Experience' only. No way to mount a Wilcox Shoe, no way to power it off of a USB Power bank. You get everything in a kit (including their remote battery pack), but you have to run it "as is" - no way to make Binos, either.

Looks like I'm sitting out a generation, unless it's modifiable.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks like two ways to 3d print to make it accept a wilcox shoe that I can see.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Ar15Niel:
Looks like two ways to 3d print to make it accept a wilcox shoe that I can see.
View Quote

You'll have one buyer at least. Running two packs for power (OEM and Anker for Thermal) isn't ideal, but not a deal killer. I wonder if an adapter can be made to convert to USB-C?

I also haven't seen any really close pics - I tried to pause some of those videos ^, but I can't tell sh*t - thanks for looking closely.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 12:52:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ar15Niel] [#22]

You'll have one buyer at least. Running two packs for power (OEM and Anker for Thermal) isn't ideal, but not a deal killer. I wonder if an adapter can be made to convert to USB-C?

I also haven't seen any really close pics - I tried to pause some of those videos ^, but I can't tell sh*t - thanks for looking closely.
View Quote

I used these images to get an idea

Only problem is, I dont think I plan to buy one to prototype the idea. Sure I can probably get away with actual measurements but I like to prototype and test things before letting others get a hold of it. There was a video that I saw and the low light capabilities looks promising but at that price I might as well go analog. Who knows maybe my opinion may change in next few months.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#23]
MSRP and Street Price often differ. Here’s hoping for a reasonable Street Price 🤞
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Ar15Niel:

Only problem is, I dont think I plan to buy one to prototype the idea. Sure I can probably get away with actual measurements but I like to prototype and test things before letting others get a hold of it. There was a video that I saw and the low light capabilities looks promising but at that price I might as well go analog. Who knows maybe my opinion may change in next few months.

View Quote

Now those are good shots, thanks.

Yeah - Chicken/Egg situation, it is absolutely worthless to me as a stand alone setup, so I can't send you one in case it doesn't work out
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Possible this was what they were developing for the mil when that program was cancelled? That would explain the proprietary stand alone nature of it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:29:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#26]
Originally Posted By boltcatch:

Some features they were promising were a scam.   Like, 100%, pull-from-ass, completely made up, someone is on the take.

If the .mil was actually paying attention - and that's debatable - then the experience may sour them on this sort of tech for a while.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By boltcatch:

The over promising and underdelivering seems to be a norm in that world - as long as its prefixed by stretch objective/target and not listed as an actual deliverable then they are free to take the piss.  

The best way to get a good outcome is to start with inputs from selected experienced individuals from the SF/SO community and work through real world mission sets from both a strategic and tactical perspective.  

The tech guys always want all signing and dancing (because its about them and their egos) when the reality is, as often as not, less is more.  

If the tech guys were given an eighty pound pack and pushed to fast rope into a jungle clearing, then walk 10 kms to a lake and told the only way out was through a ladder extraction.............only then would you start to get useful stuff out of them.

"Special Forces and Army Rangers responded favourably to person of interest identification, text translation, and squad reconnaissance capabilities. They did not consider most CS 2 capabilities to be an improvement over their current thermal, low-light, and GPS equipment and capabilities."

The fundamental mistake with the IVAS program (a rookie one at that) was the reliance on the Microsoft Hololens 2 as the base for everything.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:12:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:31:38 AM EDT
[#28]
https://i.imgur.com/RFFqH1N.jpg
View Quote

what is "llns'?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:40:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#29]
Originally Posted By gaspain:

what is "llns'?
View Quote

"Ludicrous Lumens Night Saber" wraith its a pommie made VCSEL based IR illuminator.  There is a 940nm version as well as the 850nm shown above.  Very potent unit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:54:33 AM EDT
[#30]
indeed
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#31]
With thermal for contrast

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 12:15:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Finally getting things together. HHV bump helmet, Pros, Kilo Ohm / gaspain mount, Cadex helmet mount, Amazon mohawk and Anker 13000 in the back which fits perfect.

So far I like it I haven't really gotten a good chance to really play around with them yet but so far only complaints I think I need to adjust some padding in the helmet because the Pros slide down and the chin straps are pretty tight. But still need to adjust those things.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 9:38:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#33]
Balance the helmet on your finger at Top Dead Center - add weight to the back until it sits level. Just light ass Anker batteries, ain't gonna do it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Balance the helmet on your finger at Top Dead Center - add weight to the back until it sits level. Just light ass Anker batteries, ain't gonna do it.
View Quote

Yep I got it better balanced out using some small weights in the back pouch and the Anker still fits in there also. Gonna try it out hopefully next week coyote hunting. Let ya all know how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:08:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stonia] [#35]
Looks like another potentially cool device announced.  Advertised for boats, but no reason it couldn't go on your truck or SxS, right?

Nightwave

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Stonia:
Looks like another potentially cool device announced.  Advertised for boats, but no reason it couldn't go on your truck or SxS, right?

Nightwave

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203509/2Q9A2484_1200x_jpg-2282308.JPG
View Quote

It's probably even a capable exterior security camera.  I'd like to see some real world tests.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:
Interesting.
Would need hands on to determine if it's useful past the  million other similar cameras out there.

Drive/see by wire on a hunting rig if you blacked out the dash and lights? Lol
View Quote

Along with racks of IR lights on top of your vehicle?  
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 9:16:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cape_hunter] [#39]
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:29:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyFitz] [#40]
Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:
A late friend had his 4runner set up to black out with ir spots.
Used to chase rabbits and yotes across the desert with that rig lol
Sure miss that dude
Nohair was well known here and hkpro. He truly was a gift to the mankind.
Him and his boy on that very truck.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/8306/Screenshot_20220218-172042_Facebook-2284586.jpg
View Quote

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

Stumbled on this guy out driving his Four Runner with a Pro on a snowy night, and made me think of your friend. I like the way he has the iPad/Tablet mounted in his truck and uses that to view the road. I'm thinking of jumping on a full Pro Explorer Kit for $800. Would that be a decent buy?
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#41]
A while back someone posted an Amazon helmet that was bigger than some of the other airsoft L/XL helmets. Anyone have a link to that? It's been probably a year or more.

I think I have a Lancer brand, unsure of the exact model. I have a huge head and mine is very tight. Not quite ready to get a TW but want to get something more comfortable. Mine, on the largest setting, still sort of has to be smushed onto my head.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GunnyFitz:

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

Stumbled on this guy out driving his Four Runner with a Pro on a snowy night, and made me think of your friend. I like the way he has the iPad/Tablet mounted in his truck and uses that to view the road. I'm thinking of jumping on a full Pro Explorer Kit for $800. Would that be a decent buy?
View Quote

That dude is nuts to drive via WiFi at anything over walking speed. I've driven Helmet Mounted up to (IIRC) 40mph and it's fine - 30ms Sensor Delay is unnoticeable. But over WiFi?... Someone should use a Terminal App on Android and ping the Aurora.

As far as "is it worth it?" to get the Pro Pkg at $800 - only you can decide. It works perfectly for anything down to NL4 light levels, without help. Darker than that (NL5), and you'll need IR - where as a 14 doesn't until NL6. But it's not $2600+ Assess all the conditions you've been in, and see if NL4 will do. Also, even Analog guys light up targets with IR MFALs Illuminators and turn on IR Umbrella lights inside, so...  The Pro itself was $999, avail at about $750 in places - so $800 for the whole kit seems like a good deal.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#43]

That dude is nuts to drive via WiFi at anything over walking speed. I've driven Helmet Mounted up to (IIRC) 40mph and it's fine - 30ms Sensor Delay is unnoticeable. But over WiFi?... Someone should use a Terminal App on Android and ping the Aurora.
View Quote

You think the additional 4-7ms of latency introduced by the WiFi is going to make or break things?
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

You think the additional 4-7ms of latency introduced by the WiFi is going to make or break things?
View Quote

Do you know that that's all it is? I haven't pinged over WiFi on Linux in years. I do know that the new Sionyx Boating product meant for this exact purpose, is hard-wired into the Multi-Functional Display.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:59:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ar15Niel] [#45]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

View Quote

Latency can and will vary under wifi as signal strength can vary second by second especially with interference.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By IndyGrendel63:

@scoobysmak
Nice set up. Can you post a list for the rest of us?  I need to get a bump and mount for my black.

Side note, I don’t remember seeing anything on the aurora website about the pro having a better sensor, maybe I missed it.  If I would have known I would have opted for that model.  From what I saw it was just extra bits and pieces with the pro plus the gps stuff.  Oh well.
Edit. Calling scoobysmak
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IndyGrendel63:

@scoobysmak
Nice set up. Can you post a list for the rest of us?  I need to get a bump and mount for my black.

Side note, I don’t remember seeing anything on the aurora website about the pro having a better sensor, maybe I missed it.  If I would have known I would have opted for that model.  From what I saw it was just extra bits and pieces with the pro plus the gps stuff.  Oh well.
Edit. Calling scoobysmak

Humm didn't get the @, though I do not think you can @ on an edit and it work.

I followed the list, can't remember his name but has a couple videos in this thread.

Most of the stuff I bought was from Amazon, yeah all china , and the brands change all the time, the one he posted wasn't there so I got one similar, don't see the one I bought now as for sale....  I think once they get busted for making clones of real stuff they have to change the name or something.  Because its amazon and pops up in a search the brand name change doesn't seem to affect sales would be my guess on why this happens.

I will say this at first I was happy with the helmet I got, thought it fit okay, had to move padding and stuff but then when I started adding weight to it, no beuno...it would move like 1/2" in some directions, when you need an optic to sit in front of your eye this is not good...

I ended up getting a Team Wendy bump helmet, fits way better now that I have something to compare it to.  I also upgraded a few other things.  I haven't gotten around to playing at night but now going to use the following on a wilcox G24 mount to the helmet.  I printed a 3d dovetail plate to mount the Pro to the bridge.

Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By gaspain:
new thing for you guys ...clips
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25567/20211019_1413kl55_jpg-2136555.JPG
View Quote

Just quoting this poster, as I used his references for my original purchases....

As a note a helmet is like shoes, personal deal so some might have great luck with one brand but not so much with others.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

@scoobysmak-
What cover are you using?
Also, does anybody know of a suspension upgrade or replacement for the MTEK/Outry? The actual helmet and pads fit great, but the suspension straps (mainly the rear ones) are just a little too short.
View Quote

I didn't get this @ either.....and this one is not an edit....
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Well its obvious I am catching up on this thread...my opinion on the new $2500 DNV product

Really cool to see an update from the Pro.  If it had the same capability as say Gen2+ I would pay the money for it.....but (hate when that happens)...

...the way this is setup you have to use their mount and won't work with anything I have already is a deal breaker  Many run duals or have a thermal device as an addition, your not going to market well to these people if they like what they have.

I would suspect being all digital the battery life will be better and the risk of leaving them on or get damage from light burst or something would be a thing of the past.  If they updated the waterproofing (at least from the pro), made it more adaptable to what I have now it would seem like a better option for anyone starting out if it has the performance.  I probably won't sell what I have to buy it though even if it did meet all these specifications.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

Humm didn't get the @, though I do not think you can @ on an edit and it work.

View Quote

I wonder if the lower case 'S' screwed up the notifications?

What is on the Lens of your Pro?
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top