Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Glynn @ Night Vision Inc pulled through this weekend.

The focusable illum is going to be awesome on these.
There is almost no wiggle at all.

Going to be a game changer for sure

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Just waiting on mine
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A SG with direct hook up remote battery would be pretty sick. Might make me get a new set of Binos.
View Quote
I think it would be outstanding if it took a standard LEMO connector so you could just mount all those anvis packs on top of your noggin (or they could sell an extension cord) to re-purpose an existing battery pack.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think it would be outstanding if it took a standard LEMO connector so you could just mount all those anvis packs on top of your noggin (or they could sell an extension cord) to re-purpose an existing battery pack.
View Quote
Couldn’t agree more
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#5]
So what's the story on this thing - its almost a complete knock-off of a Sentinel but machined in aluminum, runs AA batts, and is less expensive than a sentinel? Is this some type of vendor collaboration or exclusive device? Just curious what the backstory is on this, because I thought AB Night Vision was the shop behind the machining of Sentinel Housings for Adams Industries?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The wait is killing me! I’m ready for these already. It’s almost as bad as waiting for NFA goodies.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Glynn @ Night Vision Inc pulled through this weekend.

The focusable illum is going to be awesome on these.
There is almost no wiggle at all.

Going to be a game changer for sure

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/348028/20180607_192906-568858.JPG
View Quote
That illuminator focus unit is real slick - something standard that comes with the housings, or just a Glynn special?
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That illuminator focus unit is real slick - something standard that comes with the housings, or just a Glynn special?
View Quote
Hmm.. now that you mention it, that illuminator is different than the stock photos.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It’s a PVS-7 focus ring. The BNVDs can also accept them.

~Augee
View Quote
Clever. I dig it
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Hate to be that person but any update if housings are getting close to shipping?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hate to be that person but any update if housings are getting close to shipping?
View Quote
Probably soon

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh!
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone got anymore info or a solid review on these? I've never tried bino's in any capacity nor do I know any local that own's bino's and these are my top choice as the price comes out quite a bit cheaper than the rest for WP Filmless tubes.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I like them a bunch. Stupid tight compared to everything else.
I spend less time thinking how to not break them and more time focusing on using them.

If you dont want flippi bois these are my new #1 recommendation.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Still waiting on mine, next week hopefully
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I spend less time thinking how to not break them and more time focusing on using them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Flippi bois lol. Good to hear, not sure what to expect since they are new to the market but word seem's to be good so far.

Quoted:
I expect a quality review forth coming then! Also you cost me $100 on the Maritime rails which shipped already.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Theyre sentinels on steroids.

Literally do anything they do but better... and cheaper?!

No brainer imho
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Flippi bois lol. Good to hear, not sure what to expect since they are new to the market but word seem's to be good so far.

I expect a quality review forth coming then! Also you cost me $100 on the Maritime rails which shipped already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Haha! Happy I could help spend your money

And I’m sure I will be blabbing about the rnvg’s.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
b-b-buttttt I LIKE FLIPPI BOIS
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Okay, help me out.  I'm not seeing the RNVG that much cheaper than the Sentinels.  I mean, if i'm going to drop $8K to $9K on NVGs, a couple hundred bucks isn't going to be a deal breaker.

On TNVC's website the RNVGs (WP) are going for $8,525, while the Sentinels (WP) are listed at $9,249.  A difference of $723.  I'm not seeing these being that much better than the Sentinels for a measly $700.

Yeah, yeah, go be poor somewhere else.  blah blah.  But I'm in the market for binos, and have pretty much decided on the Sents.  change my mind.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Okay, help me out.  I'm not seeing the RNVG that much cheaper than the Sentinels.  I mean, if i'm going to drop $8K to $9K on NVGs, a couple hundred bucks isn't going to be a deal breaker.

On TNVC's website the RNVGs (WP) are going for $8,525, while the Sentinels (WP) are listed at $9,249.  A difference of $723.  I'm not seeing these being that much better than the Sentinels for a measly $700.

Yeah, yeah, go be poor somewhere else.  blah blah.  But I'm in the market for binos, and have pretty much decided on the Sents.  change my mind.
View Quote
why the Sents?  serious question.  The RNVG is a solid aluminum clone of a Sentinel housing, with a built in illuminator.  They are a stronger sentinel.  and slightly lighter.  only difference is mounting options currently.  so unless you are invested in ANVIS mounts and battery packs, the cheaper, stronger, lighter solution makes more sense.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Sentinel positive is ability to use ball mount. Rnvg positive is it’s stronger as it’s made of aluminum rather than derlin plastic. That said the sentinel is plenty robust. $700 difference is nothing to sneeze at. The other positive about the rnvg is they have stated that in the future it can be upgraded to external battery pack that will be hooked into the actual unit and not through the mount like a ball mount. This gives you all be positives of dovetail mount and positive of a battery pack.

The rnvg also uses a AA which is a positive for me mostly becuase I hate buying 123a since AA’s are cheaper to buy.

Like what was said the RNVG is a stronger unit that is cheaper and you only sacrifice the use of a ball mount.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sentinel positive is ability to use ball mount. Rnvg positive is it’s stronger as it’s made of aluminum rather than derlin plastic. That said the sentinel is plenty robust. $700 difference is nothing to sneeze at. The other positive about the rnvg is they have stated that in the future it can be upgraded to external battery pack that will be hooked into the actual unit and not through the mount like a ball mount. This gives you all be positives of dovetail mount and positive of a battery pack.

The rnvg also uses a AA which is a positive for me mostly becuase I hate buying 123a since AA’s are cheaper to buy.

Like what was said the RNVG is a stronger unit that is cheaper and you only sacrifice the use of a ball mount.
View Quote
I personally like the 123a better. I feel like they leak a lot less than AA batteries and they last longer. Also, the rest of the stuff on my rifle uses 123a batteries. My PEQ, flashlight, EOTech...

I do understand the appeal of the AA too, but for me the 123a is best.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I personally like the 123a better. I feel like they leak a lot less than AA batteries and they last longer. Also, the rest of the stuff on my rifle uses 123a batteries. My PEQ, flashlight, EOTech...

I do understand the appeal of the AA too, but for me the 123a is best.
View Quote
123's are definitely superior to AA's all around. Except in availability. Any grocery store, convenience store, or gas stop in the country stocks AA's. 123's can be difficult to find, even now. Especially at decent prices. If you're not buying 123's online, it's typically one to a pack for like $6.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Chris Adams will state that the Sentinel is better and take it to the grave lol.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Chris Adams will state that the Sentinel is better and take it to the grave lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I honestly have no experience with the sentinel or RNVG at this point but it does not take a genius to figure that billet aluminum is stronger than derlin. Granted the derlin is still pretty rugged stuff but aluminum still holds the edge. I could be wrong...

From recent research on batteries sparked by asking about batteries in the other topic I posted. From some research it seems that linthium AA’s don’t seem to leak any more or less than 123a. The 123a does have an edge on power and longer run time at the cost of being more expensive and harder to find.

Most accessories do take 123a but the less I have to carry the better really or at least in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do feel like AB Nightvision kind of fucked him on this one... They basically released an aluminum Sentinel that takes AA's lol. If I were him I would not be happy with AB... but I don't know what his contract with them is for the production of the Sentinel...
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Let me preface this with: I have owned every flavor of MOD3 sold, and multiple other AB NV Mono's. I now currently own a MOD3 and a Sentinel.

So let me get this straight - AB Night Vision is contracted to build the Sentinels for Adams Industries, and then AB Night Vision partners with another competing vendor to produce the RNVG (which is basically a sentinel copy in Aluminum)?

Coke pays Pepsi to make Coke and in doing so shares intellectual property/recipe for Coke. Then Pepsi decides it can improve Coke and starts selling PepsiCola based upon Coke's original formula that they had inside knowledge of due to the manufacturing contract.

Something feels a little off on this one. How are there not lawsuits involved?

Real question: Is this something to be of concern of long term? Anyone know of Patent situations on either device? I want to say AI had some pending patents on the Color NV stuff they were working on, but I don't know about the housings. I just see it as a concern to spend 1-2k on a housing only to see one or both go belly up over infringements.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There are some pretty big differences between the RNVG and Sentinel, its a completely different housing design. Its powered differently, the interpupilary adjustment track rails are in a differnet place, the electrical contacts that power the RNVG are not the wires that are found tucked up underneath the Bridge or a Sentinel and the illuminator is vastly different, if anything the RNVG is much more similar to the MOD3 in design.
View Quote
Thanks Sam for clearing that up. I've only heard users comparing the two both here and on FB and most of the accounts I've read is that they are very similar, except that one is in aluminum. Functionally, they seem the same, and aren't vastly different like a BNVD vs Sentinel. I haven't ever owned a RNVG, so I am legitimately curious. So this is more of a perma bridge AA MOD3?

I've been seeing some nasty posts lately (mostly Facebook), and I wasn't sure what in the hell was going on or if AI's build shop ripped his design or something - which causes me some concern since I own devices by both parties. lol. Ironically, my MOD3 housings mostly came from Glynn, so go figure.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Never heard of any "partnership" like that....Could be wrong.
View Quote
I thought Glynn from Night Vision Inc was part of that collaboration on the RNVG. I could also be wrong, but that is what my understanding was. I coulda swore I saw him posting about it on FB.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#36]
the RNVG should be lighter weight than sent's and i will bet eventually a ball detent mount option eventually

like tnvc sam said they are exact copies of the mod 3 system, not Sentinel's
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Am I missing something or is anvis style still not compatible with RNVG? I have an older set of Anvis 6s and they can't be swapped over, so I'm not sure why the RNVG is getting a pass on that front.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:08:13 AM EDT
[#38]
These with the new Wilcox G69 would look awesome.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Am I missing something or is anvis style still not compatible with RNVG? I have an older set of Anvis 6s and they can't be swapped over, so I'm not sure why the RNVG is getting a pass on that front.
View Quote
Not yet, but soon
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I like the looks of the RNVG I may pick a set with echo tubes
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#41]
And now I’m waiting on some white tubes for my RNVG
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There are some pretty big differences between the RNVG and Sentinel, its a completely different housing design. Its powered differently, the interpupilary adjustment track rails are in a differnet place, the electrical contacts that power the RNVG are not the wires that are found tucked up underneath the Bridge or a Sentinel and the illuminator is vastly different, if anything the RNVG is much more similar to the MOD3 in design.
View Quote
Care to elaborate and how the electrical is done on the RNVG? Never liked the build quality of the Sents and really didnt like the tiny exposed wires underneath.  Taking a hard look at the RNVG.

Edit: guess I didn't take a hard enough look, thanks great308.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Care to elaborate and how the electrical is done on the RNVG? Never liked the build quality of the Sents and really didnt like the tiny exposed wires underneath.  Taking a hard look at the RNVG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Taken from tnvc website on RNVG “As the optic pods traverse during interpupilary adjustment, they ride across an electrical contact strip.”
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They're coming with DEP each tubes so that's probably why.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On this site they are about 1250 cheaper than sentinels.

Link
They're coming with DEP each tubes so that's probably why.
What're DEP tubes? Google isn't giving me any answers
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Photonis Hybrid Unfilmed Autogated Echo white or green phosphor image tubes
The are high spec 64+lpmm and usually above 30 Signal to noise so usually around 2000 FOM or better.
Incredibly crisp and clear and guys like them especially at the price point and how well they perform.

There is also L3 Gen3+ unfilmed autogated however they add $1000+ to the price of any unit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:08:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
The are high spec 64+lpmm and usually above 30 Signal to noise so usually around 2000 FOM or better.
Incredibly crisp and clear and guys like them especially at the price point and how well they perform.

There is also L3 Gen3+ unfilmed autogated however they add $1000+ to the price of any unit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#47]
RNVG “As the optic pods traverse during interpupilary adjustment, they ride across an electrical contact strip.”
View Quote
2 Concerns:

1. Corrosion. I know my early MOD 3's were having some corrosion issues from various metals being used. It was galvanic corrosion, and was a result of passing voltage across 2 different metals, which made the battery caps very difficult to remove. Conductive grease helped mitigate the problem, but it was still a design flaw and I provided that feedback to AB. Hopefully galvanic corrosion isn't an issue and the contacts and pads are all complimentary metals.

2. Shut-off's. If the contacts slide and they are spring powered like the MOD 3 power contacts, I wonder if will have similar issues as the MOD 3's. I've read multiple reports that MOD 3's will cut out intermittently while ATV'ing and hitting bumps. I haven't run into that issue with mine, yet though. Maybe someone who has can speak directly to this issue?

These are by no means deal breakers. I think extra bridge options are great and I love my MOD 3's despite any minor design flaws.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is the RNVG design a collaboration with Night Vision Inc, or is Night Vision Inc selling the product sorta like TNVC (or other vendors) sell it? I wasn't sure and just wanted to clear it up - I ask because I thought I read somewhere that you helped design it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Good question I wondered the same thing? I was getting real serious about ordering a set of ACT DTNVG when I saw the pics of the new RNVG showing up. The major price difference between the two now kind of killed my DTNVG buzz. Seems the the RNVG may over the best bang for the buck right now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great, thank you for the quick answer. I'm about to pull the trigger on the RNVGs with DEP tubes, and was worried they wouldn't be up to par.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top