Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do the MAWL. You wont regret it.
View Quote
$2500 is a tough pill to swallow, especially considering I just got into NV, no experience with it, and really very little experience shooting at night. But I am eager to jump right in head first and I have no problem shelling out the cash for the top product in the category. I'd get Sentinels if I could afford them, but certainly cannot (which makes me wonder if that many people can or if they are just simply using TNVC Financing). Frankly, I think Sean Havok's review was the final straw. I think I am going to do it later this month. I am very excited.

So here is a question, consider that weight is important to me, is there really a compelling reason to have a white light on your "go to" rifle if you are already set up with NV and a MAWL? I run a TLR1 at the 12 o'clock so this is a minor issue, but I figured I'd attack it anyway.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
$2500 is a tough pill to swallow, especially considering I just got into NV, no experience with it, and really very little experience shooting at night. But I am eager to jump right in head first and I have no problem shelling out the cash for the top product in the category. I'd get Sentinels if I could afford them, but certainly cannot (which makes me wonder if that many people can or if they are just simply using TNVC Financing). Frankly, I think Sean Havok's review was the final straw. I think I am going to do it later this month. I am very excited.

So here is a question, consider that weight is important to me, is there really a compelling reason to have a white light on your "go to" rifle if you are already set up with NV and a MAWL? I run a TLR1 at the 12 o'clock so this is a minor issue, but I figured I'd attack it anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the MAWL. You wont regret it.

For my “go to” rifle, I will always have WL. I want to be able to see what I’m shooting even if my green eyed super power isn’t activated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
IMHO any fighting rig has to have WL. My go to is set is 24/7 ready, just because it set up for NV there are times when white light will be needed such as if your light environment changes, or you use NV to get to where your going and WL when going full tilt boogie. As soon as your set up by TNVC take a look at theirs and others night fighting courses.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do not I repeat do not blast your NV system with the Laser/Illuminator like this guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do not I repeat do not blast your NV system with the Laser/Illuminator like this guy.
I got this totally awesome laser, but my NODs have developed a blem.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Forget the MAWL. Dbal d2. You don’t “need” the quick change illuminator settings. Peq 15 have one?  They never stacked any bodies with those.....(sarcasm) Got more money than god?  Get the MAWL. Are you like my uncle who thinks he is Rambo, has to have “the best”, makes 100,000 and lives paycheck to paycheck, and hasnt shot any of his guns in yeas? Get the MAWL. See where I’m going with this.

If the d2 didn’t exist I’d say save your pennies.

And yes, WL on your gun. Absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Forget the MAWL. Dbal d2.
View Quote
I haven't laid hands on a D2.  Photos show activator button on back rather than on top like an I2 or A3.
How is the ergos on that configuration?
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Forget the MAWL. Dbal d2. You don’t “need” the quick change illuminator settings. Peq 15 have one?  They never stacked any bodies with those.....(sarcasm) Got more money than god?  Get the MAWL. Are you like my uncle who thinks he is Rambo, has to have “the best”, makes 100,000 and lives paycheck to paycheck, and hasnt shot any of his guns in yeas? Get the MAWL. See where I’m going with this.

And yes, WL on your gun. Absolutely.
View Quote
No

Positive pressure zeroing sucks, the dbal sits up too high, doesn’t play well with with surefire pressure pads, and the battery compartment in the front is annoying becuase your front buis can block it.

Personaly, at that price point I would rather look at other options or go with the atpial
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Ive gone from Peq15c, to Peq15, and now I am about to go MAWL. I have gotten to play with one a little and I am sold. So if anyone wants a 15 Ill hook you up lol!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No

Positive pressure zeroing sucks, the dbal sits up too high, doesn’t play well with with surefire pressure pads, and the battery compartment in the front is annoying becuase your front buis can block it.

Personaly, at that price point I would rather look at other options or go with the atpial
View Quote
Sure. Go pay $1500+ more because of two very minor issues and no, it doesn’t sit too high. I deal in logic and reality, not civi pretending to need shit better than teir one guys have and making themselves feel better when they hear the ohhh’s and ahhh’s from their friends.

I honestly don’t care if you buy one. It’s your money. Just don’t bring bs “problems” to justify an extra used pvs-14 in cost.  Every single person I know who has one and I’ve talked too all day the same exact thing. The MAWL is awesome (and it is) but it isn’t $1500+ more awesome than a d2 for civi use.

Im sure there are some guys out there say it is worth the extra money. Cool. That’s perfectly fine. Again, just spare me the bs issues.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Dont "need" that quick self loading AR15 either, Springfield 1903 load itself? They never stacked any bodies with those.....(sarcasm)

The quick change illuminator setting is amazing and I spent years being upset with the adjustment on the Peq15, which is why I bought a MAWL the next day after using one.
View Quote
False analogy. Does a Springfield shoot as fast or load as fast as an AR?  No. The d2’s illuminator hangs with the MAWL. The way it achieves it is different.

And none of what you said changes what I said. I’m glad your happy with yours. I’m more than happy with my setup. No smart ass.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I haven't laid hands on a D2.  Photos show activator button on back rather than on top like an I2 or A3.
How is the ergos on that configuration?
View Quote
I use a tape switch so it’s no different for me but when I didn’t I wouod use the tip of my thumb like guys do with clicky tail caps for white light.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Guys look, the MAWL is awesome. If you have lots of money or need it for work then go for it. I just don’t think it’s worth the extra $1500 for what I or most civi’s need.

Then again most people don’t need a 200 mph z06.

I’m not hatin. Just don’t try to bring bs reasons as to why the d2 is no good and one absolutely needs the MAWL. That’s just not reality.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Does the D2 illuminator adjust anywhere near as fast as a MAWL?  No.

Had a D2, it in no way compares to the usefulness of a MAWL, nor does a full power PEQ or DBAL for that matter.
View Quote
Are you running in and out of different sized rooms to absolutely need that quick change?

Nvm, you’re right. All of our troops using a device that doesn’t do quick change are all going to die. Lol. You f’in guys kill me.  Uncountable amount of users and stacked bodies disagree with you. But keep justifying your purchase as a “need”
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Honestly I thought all lasers were a toy for many years no trust in them for serious work/hunting. I bought a D2 back when they first came out with the option to return if I didn’t like it. Wow, was I surprised so much I sold off my two NV scopes and switched to helmet mounted NV and a couple IR laser systems for years until thermal scope prices came down affordable then bought several of them last few years.

I could snap on the 3X afocal to pvs-14 and blast D2 IR laser/Illum our past 150 yards and flatten wild hogs in their tracks. D2 never moved POI or let me down ever and I used it several days a week in the field for years. So much It had zero finish left on the housing I had to re paint it.

MAWL looks great I’ve been thinking of order one myself just because no real reason other than it’s new and cool. D2 is still a beast and great buy before the MAWL was released most everyone considered it 1st or 2nd place in top IR class 1 systems.Im just glad we have severall great choices now everyone has different taste and needs in gear.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You should probably post less and read more.
View Quote
Take you own advice. Sick of basement dwellers telling me what they think they need because marketing.

I use this shit almost every weekend now that it’s getting nicer out and sometimes during the week too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No

View Quote
The APTIAL/PEQ also use the "Positive pressure zeroing" I've never read the MAWL manual, but I wouldn't be surprised it did also.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Does the D2 illuminator adjust anywhere near as fast as a MAWL?  No.

Had a D2, it in no way compares to the usefulness of a MAWL, nor does a full power PEQ or DBAL for that matter.
View Quote
I wouldn't call trying to activate the MAWL support hand or shift of zero when changing or installing a battery without buying a 100.00 upgrade a downside "useful".
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Even at my boring little shooting course, its fun watching frustrated people twirl the knobs on their DBALs and PEQ to adjust spread so they can engage targets at different ranges.

Most people used a White/IR light set to IR for close and the PEQ set tighter for far rather than trying to adjust the illum. The MAWL lets you leave your white light or white in case that is needed and have a universally useful IR.

Its as amazing of an improvement to IR illum as going from a bolt gun to an AR.
View Quote
What's the distance of your targets? A PEQ set to narrow will illuminate targets out past 2000 meters according to L3. I usually set my D2 somewhere in the middle and use the low illuminator indoors and the high outdoors. No doubt a MAWL C 1+ is one the must have list.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The APTIAL/PEQ also use the "Positive pressure zeroing" I've never read the MAWL manual, but I wouldn't be surprised it did also.
View Quote
Maybe I missed it, but no where in the atpial manual does it describe the process like what the DBAL D2 manual suggests.

Attachment Attached File

Also, not being able to run the dbal as far forward as other lasers because you can’t change the batteries is a big deal. You either run it at a different location, or remove your front buis or laser each time you change the battery.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Maybe I missed it, but no where in the atpial manual does it describe the process like what the DBAL D2 manual suggests.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171044/066F81CC-21FA-40E9-BCDE-F58555F0F2AB-669265.JPG
Also, not being able to run the dbal as far forward as other lasers because you can’t change the batteries is a big deal. You either run it at a different location, or remove your front buis or laser each time you change the battery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171044/066F81CC-21FA-40E9-BCDE-F58555F0F2AB-669265.JPG
Section 2.5 “Boresighting Procedures”

‘’To minimize laser travel as a result of weapon shock, it is good practice to place a positive load on the adjusters by ending all boresight adjuster rotations with an approximate 1/2 turn in a CCW direction.’’

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/402173/eotech-atpial-an_peq-15-advanced-target-pointer-illuminator-aiming-light.html?page=34
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or reverse your front sight.

Or put your sight behind the laser.

Or wait for a LEAF designed for the D2.

Or just ditch backups all together.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Section 2.5 “Boresighting Procedures”

‘’To minimize laser travel as a result of weapon shock, it is good practice to place a positive load on the adjusters by ending all boresight adjuster rotations with an approximate 1/2 turn in a CCW direction.’’

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/402173/eotech-atpial-an_peq-15-advanced-target-pointer-illuminator-aiming-light.html?page=34
View Quote
Ahhh good catch. I stand corrected. Well, this method sucks haha
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm don't understand that moving your LAM 1 rail slot back in order to access the battery is that much of a inconvenience that would compel you to spend 1,500 more for a MAWL C1+. Another option is if you run a low profile flip up sight like a MagPul Pro you can run a D2 as far forward as any other LAM.

Don't get me wrong the C1+ is a good piece of kit, but it does have it's down falls. The biggest is having your zero shift when changing or installing a battery. Sure you can use torq seal or paint to align the marks when reinstalling the battery, but try that in an advanced No Light class/scenario and let us know how that works out for you.

You can always spring for their $100.00 "tool required" removable battery cap, but trying to use that in the same scenario is more of a problem than moving a D2 1 rail space back to access the battery. Or Mod Armory has a tool-less cap assy for the low low price of $460.00 Take all of that into consideration picking the MAWL over the D2 because of the advantages of the MAWL's quick switching illumination distances  doesn't sounds like "forgive the pun" a Bright Idea.

Some how I don't feel out classed running a D2 and saving 1,500 over a MAWL C1+............"Priceless"
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:38:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I teach an advanced no light class. Just put a fresh battery in before any serious use, like you do with anything. I do the same thing with NODs, I did the same thing before going out and doing shit in real life. You dont want to be changing batteries in anything no matter how easy in a bad situation.

The 100$ more is for the tool-less cap included, its 460$ if you buy it after the fact.

The quick switching illumination is amazing, its worth the price. I was really hoping the DBAL-A4 was going to be in the 1600$ range like it was supposed to be as it has that feature. Do you think maybe there is a reason Steiner added this feature?

I feel totally out classed using my issued full power PEQ-15 after using the MAWL C1+.

Using your price argument I would get an OTAL and TNVC torch for 600$ and save 400$ over the D2.
View Quote
Nice can you pm me a link, cost, course details, and requirements to take your advance class I'd appreciate it.

OTAL and a TNVC torch is not an option due to the lack of white light, weight and the cost is to close to a used D2.

Funny you mention put a fresh battery in your LAM before you take the class/kit up which I did/do religiously main do to SOPs, but to my surprise the instructor made us remove our batteries from everything, stowed our NODs, messed with all of our adjustments on the lowering arm etc, induced a FTE/FTF/BOB in our rifles and had us our rigs back individually and said "Fix It" your team is dying and depending on you. IIRC Par time was 90 seconds completely blacked out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#34]
People are creating a lot of needless drama over the supposed zero shift while changing batteries on a mawl.

My contact at BE Meyers confirmed that as long as you are close to the same torque the zero won't change , and if you aren't close, the maximum amount of shift is one width of the pointer beam (basically nothing).

I have also tested this with the visible pointer on my mawl and as soon as the screw is firmly tightened the POI returns to where it was set, and further tightening doesn't alter it (like using a geissele scope mount).

Yes, it is a little annoying to need a tool to change batteries, but now that the new ec2 tail unit is available for only $100 more when you buy a mawl, just get that.

I also own a dbal-d2. It sits in my bag because the mawl is worth 2x the price.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
People are creating a lot of needless drama over the supposed zero shift while changing batteries on a mawl.

My contact at BE Meyers confirmed that as long as you are close to the same torque the zero won't change , and if you aren't close, the maximum amount of shift is one width of the pointer beam (basically nothing).

I have also tested this with the visible pointer on my mawl and as soon as the screw is firmly tightened the POI returns to where it was set, and further tightening doesn't alter it (like using a geissele scope mount).

Yes, it is a little annoying to need a tool to change batteries, but now that the new ec2 tail unit is available for only $100 more when you buy a mawl, just get that.

I also own a dbal-d2. It sits in my bag because the mawl is worth 2x the price.
View Quote
It's almost as much drama saying moving your LAM 1 rail slot back a valid reason to spend 1,500 more lol and yeah I get it gotta get people into your corner to say your/my option is better.
But to reply to your post the beam size does grow the futher you go out and at 50 meters its not much, but move out to 300- 400 meters and it can be an issue depending on how big your target is at that distance. Also once you unscrew the battery cap isn't there a chance to loose the cap as well as a chance for the head to fall off? If this is true for hunting or casual night course may not be a problem, but in a high stress situation can be detrimental. Yup I get it put a fresh battery in it, but Murphy's Law usually shows up at the worst time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's almost as much drama saying moving your LAM 1 rail slot back a valid reason to spend 1,500 more lol and yeah I get it gotta get people into your corner to say your/my option is better.
But to reply to your post the beam size does grow the futher you go out and at 50 meters its not much, but move out to 300- 400 meters and it can be an issue depending on how big your target is at that distance. Also once you unscrew the battery cap isn't there a chance to loose the cap as well as a chance for the head to fall off? If this is true for hunting or casual night course may not be a problem, but in a high stress situation can be detrimental. Yup I get it put a fresh battery in it, but Murphy's Law usually shows up at the worst time.
View Quote
The divergence of the beam doesn't affect any potential shift. If the shift is 0.1 moa at 100 yards, it's still 0.1 moa at 500 yards, regardless of how wide the beam has become. And 0.1 moa is far less than the elevation/windage adjustment increments. Plus at 500 yards you'd be using a cnvd lr or equivalent because a pvs14, 1531, or 31a can't resolve detail that far out to use the laser pointer to make hits, anyways. You'd use the illumination from the mawl and a scope behind the cnvd.

No, the head doesn't just fall off when you take the tail off. Have you ever used a mawl and taken it apart?

I'll say it again: just get the ec2 tail when you buy the mawl for $100 more. Then all the fantasy scenarios are covered.

If you don't want to spend $2600 on a mawl, I respect that. It's not cheap. I also own a D2 and find the mawl to be better in enough ways that it's worth the cost.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's almost as much drama saying moving your LAM 1 rail slot back a valid reason to spend 1,500 more
View Quote
Ha, that’s a major oversimplification.  Having to move one slot back is one of several reasons to spend $1,500 more.

Long story short, it sounds like we are just in different situations
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#38]
This whole post confuses me,

Should I buy a IPhone Xs max or a MAWL at 12:01am tonight
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I also own a dbal-d2. It sits in my bag because the mawl is worth 2x the price you haven’t built up a second #thenighttimeistherighttime rifle.
View Quote
@Slippers , am I right?

It’s the perfect excuse to build a backup. Get crackin!
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@Slippers , am I right?

It’s the perfect excuse to build a backup. Get crackin!
View Quote
Hah, sounds about right. It's normally the loaner unit for when friends come to our night shoots and don't have the gear. The mawl and d2 are usually eye openers for anyone that has an atpial-c or dbal-i2/a3, too.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top