Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]
So I'm looking at these pictures and it definitely looks WAY better in person. My phone is not doing it justice.

Anyway, I'm happy. Much crisper image than my gen 2 for sure.

Only thing I'm trying to figure out is why the auto-shutoff feature of the rhino mount is not working. I tried it with two different rhino mounts and it wont turn off when I flip it up?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 12:45:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I'm looking at these pictures and it definitely looks WAY better in person. My phone is not doing it justice.

Only thing I'm trying to figure out is why the auto-shutoff feature of the rhino mount is not working. I tried it with two different rhino mounts and it wont turn off when I flip it up?
View Quote
Have you tried it with a different j arm?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 2:29:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Does your J Arm have a wire ? Some do not .... ALSO if your rhino arms are missing the magnets the auto shutoff won’t work

Many people intentionally disable the auto shutoff it likes to shut off at crappy moments as cheap as the mounts are I have some with magnets some without depending on what I’m doing or who’s using it
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 2:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Now all that being said go on fleabay and buy a rhino 2 if you don’t have one you’ll be much happier and always remember to dummy cord that thing. Rhino 2 will give you a inch of vertical up down and the controls are easier to adjust and much more prescise.

That -Augee guy has soooooo much info on mounts ect in archives if you take the time and search cheers Augee
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like you got a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Does your J Arm have a wire ? Some do not .... ALSO if your rhino arms are missing the magnets the auto shutoff won’t work

Many people intentionally disable the auto shutoff it likes to shut off at crappy moments as cheap as the mounts are I have some with magnets some without depending on what I’m doing or who’s using it
View Quote
Both the J arms have the magnet, not sure why it doesn't work. It doesn't really bother me, I was just curious if I was doing something wrong. Maybe my PVS-14 itself doesn't support that function for some reason?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Now all that being said go on fleabay and buy a rhino 2 if you don’t have one you’ll be much happier and always remember to dummy cord that thing. Rhino 2 will give you a inch of vertical up down and the controls are easier to adjust and much more prescise.

That -Augee guy has soooooo much info on mounts ect in archives if you take the time and search cheers Augee
View Quote
Yeah too late. :(

Honestly I don't mind the standard Rhino, it lines up for me perfectly and mine doesn't have much wobble at all. The only real appealing thing about the Rhino II is that it should be lighter. Maybe down the road when funds allow.

Oh, and yes I'm using a dummy cord.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh one thing I noticed that I was wondering about. When I'm in really low light conditions, there is a small area on the bottom edge of the tube that is "sparkling" for lack of a better word. I've actually noticed a similar effect on my Gen 2 unit in low light but it's on the left edge instead of the bottom. It's only noticeable when you are in an area like a dark basement and the unit is really close to your eye. Is this normal? EDIT: Google says it's "edge glow." Good news is it's pretty minor. How common is that? EDIT AGAIN: Just realized you can see it in the pictures I posted. Never even noticed until now. EDIT 3: I did some more Googling and now I'm paranoid. It doesn't bother me now but I don't want it to damage the tube over time. I'll take some pics tonight and send it to the seller. It has a one-year warranty so he should take care of it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Is the edge glow still present if you turn down the gain?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not really sure, it didn't seem like a big deal yesterday so I didn't investigate it much. I will try that tonight.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just tried it, and yes you can see it at all gain levels, but it’s very faint when the gain is all the way down. You can actually see some of the sparkling outside of the image area which is weird.

Is my tube doomed? Should I send it back?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just tried it, and yes you can see it at all gain levels, but it’s very faint when the gain is all the way down. You can actually see some of the sparkling outside of the image area which is weird.

Is my tube doomed? Should I send it back?
View Quote
I see it now. If it’s got a warranty send that shit back for a different one. Why live with an unknown like tgat if you can get rid of it?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Just emailed the seller and asked for repair/replacement. We’ll see how that goes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Seller claims it's not a problem, and that even military specs allow for some amount of emission points. He's saying it was a special deal so all he can offer me is a refund, not repair or replacement. I'm a little torn. Here is the edge glow at it's absolute worst:

That looks pretty bad, but under most conditions you can barely see it.

Still, I work too hard for my money to gamble with it. So I'm really considering going for the refund, selling my gen 2, adding the funds together and getting something with an actual spec sheet and full warranty.

What do you guys say?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seller claims it's not a problem, and that even military specs allow for some amount of emission points. He's saying it was a special deal so all he can offer me is a refund, not repair or replacement. I'm a little torn. Here is the edge glow at it's absolute worst:

https://i.imgur.com/ToaIpFg.jpg

That looks pretty bad, but under most conditions you can barely see it.

Still, I work too hard for my money to gamble with it. So I'm really considering going for the refund, selling my gen 2, adding the funds together and getting something with an actual spec sheet and full warranty.

What do you guys say?
View Quote
That’s what I would do. I don’t know about you, but that would bother me just looking at it let alone not knowing when/if it’s going to poop out on you.

Returning that and selling gen 2 gear should definitely get you enough for new gen 3. Plus now your spoiled on gen 3. You can’t go back! Lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a few chances at getting one around the $2k range than I kept passing them up.  They were unknown and didn't come with a warranty.  I ended up getting the TNVC Omni that they had for the tax special.  It should be here friday.  The knowledge of having a warranty backing it made it worth the extra price.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:24:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had a few chances at getting one around the $2k range than I kept passing them up.  They were unknown and didn't come with a warranty.  I ended up getting the TNVC Omni that they had for the tax special.  It should be here friday.  The knowledge of having a warranty backing it made it worth the extra price.
View Quote
Omnis are great tubes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#18]
No tubes are perfect not even the high dollar ones. You got a great deal and if it's barely visible in most conditions I would totally forget about it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No tubes are perfect not even the high dollar ones. You got a great deal and if it's barely visible in most conditions I would totally forget about it.
View Quote
Yeah I keep going back and forth about it. On one hand it's a very clean tube with almost no blemishes and performs great, but on the other hand there's a chance it will have a shortened lifespan. As long as it goes half of the 10,000 rated hours I think I got my money's worth.

I put the unit in a sock drawer and I'm gonna let it run overnight. If the edge glow gets any worse after 24 hours of continuous use I'll send it back. If it remains the same, I'll probably keep it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's another image, edge glow barely visible:

EDIT: Here's another:

Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Dude, you got what you paid for. It’s fine for the price you paid. Chances are you’ll never have a problem with it. If you want flawless tubes with ultra high spec call TNVC and prep for full penetration. Not knocking them, they’re gtg. This is just an expensive game if you want the best. It doesn’t sound like you’re the type to have enough disposable income to throw at the best so this is where you are. Pony up more cash or go enjoy your wizard eye and have fun!
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#22]
You can’t even see it in the last two pics.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#23]
After 12 hours in the sock drawer there is zero change. I'm thinking since the glow is not actually that bright it will probably take an extremely long time (if ever) to burn into the phosphor screen.

Quoted:
Dude, you got what you paid for. It’s fine for the price you paid. Chances are you’ll never have a problem with it. If you want flawless tubes with ultra high spec call TNVC and prep for full penetration. Not knocking them, they’re gtg. This is just an expensive game if you want the best. It doesn’t sound like you’re the type to have enough disposable income to throw at the best so this is where you are. Pony up more cash or go enjoy your wizard eye and have fun!
View Quote
Yeah someday I'll probably go all-out and get a set of Mod-3's or something. I could buy them right now but I'm too conservative to blow that much of my savings at this point in my life.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah I keep going back and forth about it. On one hand it's a very clean tube with almost no blemishes and performs great, but on the other hand there's a chance it will have a shortened lifespan. As long as it goes half of the 10,000 rated hours I think I got my money's worth.

I put the unit in a sock drawer and I'm gonna let it run overnight. If the edge glow gets any worse after 24 hours of continuous use I'll send it back. If it remains the same, I'll probably keep it.
View Quote
Send that shit back and file a claim with Ebay/PayPal. It'll take 2-3 weeks but they always side with the buyer. If your questioning it now if your going to be happy or not you'll regret it later. Buy a high spec ITT/Harris PVS14 HP + unit with a 10 year warranty that will allow you to see in almost pitch black conditions without any defects that can be distracting. Here is a excellent deal (best I've found and I'm always looking)from a site sponsor with customer service to match: https://www.jrhenterprises.com/PVS14-High-Performance-HP-Pinnacle-Autogated-Night-Vision-PVS14.htm I have the same tube and it's  friggin amazing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, you do have the 5 year warranty, so if that bright spot grows / eats your tube away, then at least then you should get a replacement.. I think. Is that how tube warranty works?

That spot must be pretty bright under the area that is normally just black, because otherwise it wouldn't bleed that much onto the usable/visible area. Personally I would be worried, but if the warranty covers this then that's all fine. 5 years should be enough to see whether it starts getting so bad that it goes beyond what is acceptable. I am not used to warranties as all of my tubes have been second hand (and most of them US Gen3 so obviously not much of a chance for any kind of warranty. Also a warranty of 5-10 years is unheard of when speaking of tubes in EU) so in a second hand case I would immediately ask for return&refund.

I have noticed that bright lights can be seen through the edges of the tubes, and it was explained to me that the outer black ring is actually shut off fiber tubes and sometimes (always?) not all of them are, thus allowing some light to get by. Just an interesting thing because it seems there's a good portion of usable area covered. Surely there is a very good and valid reason they cover/shut off the outermost parts. I still find it a bit funny that the PC & MCP & screen all seem to be working fine under the black ring, it's just blocked at the fiber inverter. Edit: it would also seem the shut off part, the black ring, is not uniform in width at every location, can be almost nonexistant in some places, so guess one of it's purposes is to center the image circle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#26]
It's actually only a one-year warranty not a five year. If I'm gonna send it back I'd probably want to do it within the first 30 days. Still undecided.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#27]
In your first pic I would have sent it back right away. The last 2 pics, I can't even see anything wrong.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah it almost never looks like that. I had to get the lighting *just* right to get it to show up on camera like that, by cupping my hand over the objective and only allowing the right amount of light in.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#29]
I decided I can't get past the flaw, and I think it will continue to bother me until I ultimately sell it and buy something else. So I'm sending it back.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I decided I can't get past the flaw, and I think it will continue to bother me until I ultimately sell it and buy something else. So I'm sending it back.
View Quote
Good decision. I remembered you said you had 5 years of warranty, but as you said it's just one year sounds like a really unnecessary risk.

If that spot was fully on the visible part of the tube everyone would've said it's going o fail one way or another quite soon. It would've been the brightest spot I've seen.

With the same money you will eventually find a used 14 with a clean(ish) tube. Rather have black spots than huge bright spots that'll most likely destroy the tube.
As a tip for looking into the second hand market: MUM (Insight MUM / Nivisys MUM-14, same thing) is a very underappreciated optic in the US just because PVS-14 is used (more) by the military and got more popular. MUMs tend to go far cheaper (purchased new it costs more than a 14) while being just as good, and actually is substantially lighter weight, easier to focus and in some ways has better image quality.

I didn't say anything because pics are pics and it's hard to judge, but it looked like your tube was not very high spec (not that it should be in that price range), or even average, and getting a used might easily land you a better deal minus the one year warranty.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#31]
To be honest I'm a little freaked out about buying used or something with a mystery tube after this experience. I plan on calling TNVC after I get my refund.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
To be honest I'm a little freaked out about buying used or something with a mystery tube after this experience. I plan on calling TNVC after I get my refund.
View Quote
That's probably even a better decision Can't go wrong with that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I love the TNVC 10 year warranty and you know they will still be around (unlike a lot of these eBay unknowns).

My first NV experiance I tried to save money and got a tube I was never happy with...my second time around I did it right and flash forward 11 years and I still smile when I turn it on.  I can't think of another piece of technology I could have purchased 11 years ago that would still be considered top notch today...and still cost the same...about as good as it gets when it comes to tech.

Link Posted: 4/30/2018 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
With NV, if you want the best of the best it costs an arm and a leg.  Below is a L3 14 (not civilian) that's nothing short of amazing.   There's raccoons under that feeder at 100 yards.  That's no rain or fog, no IR lighting, semi cloudy with minimal moon light.  Be aware if you really are bothered by blems and issues, NV is going to be a hard pill to swallow.  Even that unit below has two blems.  It took me months to find them, but they're there.  Tiny tiny tiny, but if you look just right with the gain set all the way up at a solid white color you can spot them if you look in the right place.

The price to quality ratio goes nuts when you get near the top.  I think you did ok for $1800 on that.  Think of it like a TV.  The difference between the very top end awesome unit is pretty big from the next substantial step down.   But is a little bit better worth double the price?

https://i.imgur.com/N6YDHLE.jpg
View Quote
Link doesn’t work. At least for me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top