Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2017 5:49:23 PM EDT
Noticed something interesting the other night while playing around out back. While wearing my NVGs, I noticed a flashing light coming from my electric meter. Took off the goggles, looked at the meter and couldn’t see the flash. I inspected the meter for a few minutes to make sure it wasn’t just a dim visible light flashing but I don’t think it was. Pretty sure it was flashing IR light. Anybody know why that might be?
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
IRDA meter readers, most likely.

IRDA
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Some meters can be read and programmed via IR.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You will discover many things that speak and listen over IR.
For example, I have a cell phone that flashes IR, looking for my face nearby so it knows to light up with a keypad or the home screen.
These things can cost a non-night vision person his position, safety, or life, and it's oe reason our troops are disallowed carring phones in combat theater.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine does the same thing too. I noticed it after they installed a new meter that sends them the usage so they don't have to send someone out to check it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Found that on my meter last year, too. Covered it up with a piece of gaffer tape and waited to see what would happen. Months later, nothing.

After our last hurricane my electric bills were estimated so I complained to Public Service Commission after electric company posted on their website they would not estimate bills. A meter reader/repairman came to the house with a severe attitude and confrontational because I had the audacity to call them out on their published statement & complain. I asked him why the IR light was on the meter, he played dumb (more than his usual level of stupidity) and wouldn't answer me. He avoided my questions, told me I had an attitude and walked away w/o replacing the meter. He ignored me three times when I asked him when he would replace my meter. He refused to answer. Thirty seconds after I went inside, he came back acting like he was my best friend. He was so nice and friendly I thought he was going to propose to me with an engagement ring. Turns out he got to his truck to tell his boss that I was asking too many questions. His boss told him to shut up and immediately get my meter replaced and don't leave the area until it was done.

Hmmm.. when the reader returned acting all "friendly" he told me what happened and said his boss told him I knew too well what was going on with Duke Energy and to not give me any grief.  Still don't know why the IR light on the top of the meter flashes, or what it is for, but I suspect I might have been asking sensitive questions and filing complaints they don't like to hear.

It must serve some purpose or the $$ wouldn't be spent installing it when manufactured.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top