Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2017 12:38:54 PM EDT
Scored another PVS14 and curious to those that are running dual mount on their Wilcox L24?
What did you go with? Also to know, did you add more weight on the rear or notice a difference?
Thanks

EDIT: so I’m ready to purchase a bridge and gonna bring this last question in mind,.. what mount
works best when both sights are in colmination?
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
BUMP! I'm glad you asked this because I'm in the same situation. I have two tnvc pvs14's on j-arms in a Wilcox bayonet mount and I'm looking to invest in a bridge mount this Christmas and hopefully take advantage of some sales. I've looked at the Wilcox dual pvs14 bridge for an ungodly $1,000+ and the mod armory bridge as well. these seem to be the only options I've seen that I've considered. I use a thermal weapon mounted scope do having the ability to flip them up individually is important but I wonder about the weight as well. my friends are poor (lol) so loaning out a pvs14 to a buddy in a pinch is a consideration as well. I'm anxious to see real world opinions on bridge mounting and what the best route to go is. also, it seems like lead times are pretty far out as well, I've decided to pull the trigger on a bridge mount several times only to be hit with the 15+ week lead time. yikes!
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sell your -14's to offset the cost and buy MOD'3.

Your tubes will be matched which is pretty important for a dual tube setup, you'll have a 5 year warranty on a true set of duals, they'll be nearly half the weight and eat less batteries over time and still give you the ability to split them into 2 monoculars if you need that capability.
View Quote
This is a good option.
Also look into the RQE bridge.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Scored another PVS14 and curious to those that are running dual mount on their Wilcox L24?
What did you go with? Also to know, did you add more weight on the rear or notice a difference?
Thanks
View Quote

This is what you want right here. Bayonet or dovetail.

Bridge

Given the market selling two 14’s isn’t going to get you anywhere near a real bino set(if you buy the bino set new). Especially if you go with a high end tube.

Yeah they weigh more. If you spend hours and hours a night in them i guess it could be annoying but it’s not that bad.

It’s all cost benefit. Are those ounces worth thousands more?  Again if you live with them On sure. If not I’d stay with the duals. I’m going to get sentinels one day but I’ll keep my 14’s too.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is what you want right here. Bayonet or dovetail.

Bridge

Given the market selling two 14’s isn’t going to get you anywhere near a real bino set(if you buy the bino set new). Especially if you go with a high end tube.

Yeah they weigh more. If you spend hours and hours a night in them i guess it could be annoying but it’s not that bad.

It’s all cost benefit. Are those ounces worth thousands more?  Again if you live with them On sure. If not I’d stay with the duals. I’m going to get sentinels one day but I’ll keep my 14’s too.
View Quote
Perfect, those I may need, Not sure about running MOD, tubes are pretty much identical and don’t notice much, and I’m sure their made in deferent years
but I’m good on visual, also like the fact I can separate them and share them with someone else unless I’m mistaken and the MOD do the same??
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
or a twist to what Sam mentioned... you have the optics and the tubes, send them to Glyn or someone and have them put into a MOD3.  you can sell the PVS14 bodies to recoup some money.  just another option.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:54:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
or a twist to what Sam mentioned... you have the optics and the tubes, send them to Glyn or someone and have them put into a MOD3.  you can sell the PVS14 bodies to recoup some money.  just another option.
View Quote
And how much is that gonna cost?
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 12:47:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
depends on who you go with.  TNVC, Glynn, UNV... just gotta price it out.  its been awhile since i looked at prices for the housing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 3:24:21 AM EDT
[#10]
If my memory serves me well it is under $2K as everything from your units but the main housing part will be used to build the Mod3. Was checking this as an option when going for the DTNVG but for pretty obviously reasons the availability here for Mod3 is nil or very expensive. The PVS-14 housing parts you are left with are not worth that much, but will offset the price closer to what a bridge alone would be.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd really like to see roughly what it would cost to sent to tnvc and have the tubes installed into the mod 3 housing. I was looking at the rqe bridge mount and about to pull the trigger then i realized that the price doesn't include pvs 14 adapters which will be an extra $249, pushing it back up to the price of the Wilcox bridge mount. another consideration is collimating the units. reading on tnvc it said that typically bridge mounts cannot be collimated which is a concern. does anyone have experience with the Wilcox bridge or mod armory? can they be adjusted to where you're looking through one big green circle (which I'm assuming is what collimating means). side note: I'd like to keep my multicam tnvc pvs14's because they're my babies, but if I were going to send them off, I'd only trust tnvc to tinker with them. the warranty is super important to me, which is another consideration for keeping the 14's, 10 year on the 14's, 5 on the mod 3's. I seem to find myself back at square one when looking into a bridge mount, which means I'm forever running a monocular while my other 14 sits in the safe and sobs.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Collimating in this case roughly means adjusting the PVS-14/AVS-6/9 eyepiece assemblies so that the optical axis of both sides point to the same direction (make the images overlap - less eyestrain). Can't be done with most bridges because the units need to stay at the same side they were collimated at. Bridges that have the two units in 180deg rotation in relation to each other can be collimated to some degree, better than nothing kind of, and yet allow swapping sides.

An articulating bino or bridge will mess with collimation as the units rotate and thus also all the optical parts (tube too) rotate and none of them are perfect with each component's optical axis being centered and/or pointing to the same direction. You can probably see this by putting two monos hand held, or one mounted, to your eyes and carefully rotate the other one. Keeping your eyes relaxed and trying to not merge the images on purpose, you may see stars shift in location in the unit you rotate.

AVS / Sentinel type bino will retain collimation with the IPD adjustment being a horizontal slide instead of articulating & thus rotating the sides.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you  purchase only the Mod Housings from us, we can also install your tubes with no charge.
View Quote
This is actually temping. Ugh....i just don’t know. Is 20(or however much) ounces worth the money?  It’s not like I’m unhappy with my setup.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 5:04:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks
View Quote
I went with dual pvs 14 over mod 3 just because how many pvs 14s exist? To me its all about cheap parts in the long run.... but at the same time the mod 3 has its advantages.

I have the wilcox bridge... its pretty tight. For a moment i regretted 2 pvs 14s over the mod 3 because pvs14 housings suck and the basic j arms are a joke.. the wilcox bridge while expensive is solid and slick.

They are heavy, i have a weight kit for my opscore skullmount.. havent used it yet. But its obvious you need some kinda counter weight
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#15]
www.modarmory.com/product/integrated-components-night-vision-helmet-mount-d-14-dual-pvs-14-light-weight-mounting-system/

Fwiw...I went with these more of a minimalist version.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I went with dual pvs 14 over mod 3 just because how many pvs 14s exist? To me its all about cheap parts in the long run.... but at the same time the mod 3 has its advantages.

I have the wilcox bridge... its pretty tight. For a moment i regretted 2 pvs 14s over the mod 3 because pvs14 housings suck and the basic j arms are a joke.. the wilcox bridge while expensive is solid and slick.

They are heavy, i have a weight kit for my opscore skullmount.. havent used it yet. But its obvious you need some kinda counter weight
View Quote
Question: How’s the collimation with the bridge mount?
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Question: How’s the collimation with the bridge mount?
View Quote
Not at all easy to measure without proper test equipment. Unless it is really wonky which is unlikely.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#18]
what about visually? does a bridge mount provide the same sight picture to the user (visually) as a traditional dual tube setup? or is there an alignment difference?
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
what about visually? does a bridge mount provide the same sight picture to the user (visually) as a traditional dual tube setup? or is there an alignment difference?
View Quote
Pretty much the same. A bridge system can be collimated too, though then you must keep the units marked L & R and keep them that way. Collimation is not necessary but amounts to less eyestrain. I remember David saying MX11769 tubes have less strict requirements for optical alignment, so that combined with the PVS-14/AVS eyepiece which is by design offset to allow shifting the optical axis by rotating the whole assembly means the end result may be anything. A system like a dual MUM on a bridge using MX10160 tubes is less likely to have as large offset difference due to the eyepieces not being adjustable the same way and the tubes being more strict at some requirements.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I am running the Mod armory D14 mount and the Collimation is near perfect or at least close enough that I can not tell. If your collimaiton is off they will adjust it for free.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am running the Mod armory D14 mount and the Collimation is near perfect or at least close enough that I can not tell. If your collimaiton is off they will adjust it for free.
View Quote
Who’s “they”?
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
And how much did you invest in?
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 6:42:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
I held off on this because I’d have to switch to dovetail from bayo but i guess now they have a bayo version.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#25]
The wildox bridge has alot of adjustment, then once you have it where you want it you tighten set screws to lock in place and eliminate any movement..the wilcox arms are great because it engages the pvs14 housing and has the same setscrew to eliminate any shlop. It makes me think it would work ok to use with the wilcox flip to side mount, or aleast its more encouraging than other options.

I only have one 14 at the moment, my second was supose to come today, but it was a no show. So ill have to assume itll be here tommarrow.

As far as colmination im not qualified to answer that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:53:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The wildox bridge has alot of adjustment, then once you have it where you want it you tighten set screws to lock in place and eliminate any movement..the wilcox arms are great because it engages the pvs14 housing and has the same setscrew to eliminate any shlop. It makes me think it would work ok to use with the wilcox flip to side mount, or aleast its more encouraging than other options.

I only have one 14 at the moment, my second was supose to come today, but it was a no show. So ill have to assume itll be here tommarrow.

As far as colmination im not qualified to answer that.
View Quote
I must not be sensitive to columbarium because I’m always splitting mine up and just eyeballing them back together and i  don’t notice it unless one is really out of whack.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I spoke with Sam at TNVC today and it turns out this is not possible. I was hoping to have my tubes installed in the mod 3 housing but it looks like you need to invest in mod 3 compatible tubes prior to having them installed in the mod 3 housing, not sure if there's a price savings over purchasing a whole new unit.....
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I spoke with Sam at TNVC today and it turns out this is not possible. I was hoping to have my tubes installed in the mod 3 housing but it looks like you need to invest in mod 3 compatible tubes prior to having them installed in the mod 3 housing, not sure if there's a price savings over purchasing a whole new unit.....
View Quote
I don’t want to step on any toes and I don’t have all the information but there is a dual gain version of the MOD3. I know cause I have one and really like it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Last bump in regards to colmination
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I ended up going with a mod armory lightweight bridge and the collimation is great. If it's not perfect, my eyes can't tell a difference. I haven't used the dual setup much due to mostly looking through the reap-ir, but I like the fact that I can flip up my dominant eye 14 and look through thermal. I've worn it on two night hunts thus far with no eye strain. Also, the weight of dual 14's isn't nearly as horrible as it's been made out to be. Still somewhat unclear why Sam said my 14's tubes can't be placed in mod-3's, as it looks like it's done quite often. Either way, I got a smoking deal on the reap and the bridge so I'm happy
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I ended up going with a mod armory lightweight bridge and the collimation is great. If it's not perfect, my eyes can't tell a difference. I haven't used the dual setup much due to mostly looking through the reap-ir, but I like the fact that I can flip up my dominant eye 14 and look through thermal. I've worn it on two night hunts thus far with no eye strain. Also, the weight of dual 14's isn't nearly as horrible as it's been made out to be. Still somewhat unclear why Sam said my 14's tubes can't be placed in mod-3's, as it looks like it's done quite often. Either way, I got a smoking deal on the reap and the bridge so I'm happy
View Quote
Have you ran any drills with them?
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#34]
not yet but I plan on it once it gets above 8°
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Last bump in regards to colmination
View Quote
Im not really sure what else to say about it other than it seems fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top