Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2017 9:46:00 PM EDT
I was gonna buy a gen 1+ Pulsar Edge GS 1x20 and it had a resolution up to 42mm and it is supposed to have the very best edge-to-edge resolution with 0 fisheye and just very extreme high quality Optics for around $675 which I didn't think was such a bad deal but what I really wanted was and I know a lot of you don't care for this type of night vision but I wanted a PVS 7 but it's hard to find a quality one at $1,400. I've been looking around like crazy and I really don't know where else to turn so that's why I'm here to ask you guys on your opinion on what I should do or buy that is the best quality night vision that can be helmet mounted 4 up to $1,400 even if I have to build it myself.

I really really would appreciate your guy's advice and help in this matter as I would like to purchase this item ASAP but I'm lost and need help. Thank you very very much!
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 3:18:06 AM EDT
[#1]
almost $700 for yukon/pulsar gen1?
please don`t do it.
that would be pure waste of your money.

i would suggest to monitor ebay and EE for used PVS7 and sooner or later a good deal
in your price range will show up.

yukon, atn, rongland, bering, etc. devices based on russian EP-33 glass tube are not comparable to even oldest US gen3 stuff.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#2]
$1400 is enough for some Gen3 if you're willing to wait and see what comes up. Get to $2000, and something secondhand will surely come your way.

If you can double it, then you can pick up something new during one of the specials.

Avoid Gen1. If you need to know the difference, find someone with Gen1 and Gen3 and ask if they can show you on a dark night away from the city. Basically, Gen1 looks like it just stops working.

Rule of thumb - Don't spend more than about $150 on a Gen1 monocular, or $400 on a shooting setup. Look for one secondhand if you can. Digital is just like Gen1, just a nicer image.

Gen2 starts to get serious, but in the US there's no reason not to get Gen3, or a recent PHOTONIS Gen2+.

David.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Look for a used PVS7 or PVS14. Do your research on tubes before hand so you have an idea of what you're getting into.

Remember that it is going to cost you more money to get other accessories like a helmet, IR illuminator/laser, etc...
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
NV like everything else out there a lot of sellers will sell you sub standard parts/units. You can build a high spec unit for 2,200 to 2,500 or buy one assembled for 2,999-3100 with a 10 year warranty. If you spend the money with JRH Enterprise or TNVC you will not regret it, but if you buy one on Ebay, private party etc without knowledge you may definitely regret it. All Gen 3 are not created equal and will really become apparent when your in a very-near dark situation without an additional IR source. I started with a very good Gen 2+ which preformed very well in a urban environment and rivaled early gen 3 units, but as soon as used it in a very dark place I couldn't see past 10 yards, while my friends high spec Gen 3 had no problems. IMHO save your money and buy quality vs buying something that you think will do for now and try to sell later, end up loosing money on because no one wants it and end up spending more vs buying once.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]
$1,400 could buy or build a high spec PVS-7
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep an eye out everywhere you can, deals do pop up.  New with a warranty is preferred, but I understand sometimes that isn't an option.

I have less than $2000 in my two units.  They may not be quite as good as a new TNVC unit, but at 1/3 of the cost, they're REALLY close, and as good as most of the brand-name units of similar type that I've compared to them to.  No warranty and not knowing exactly what I have is the only downside.  

The first, an Envis, was found on Craigslist of all places.  The lady selling said several other locals had contacted her first, but wouldn't consider her $850 asking price when you could buy new Gen 1 ATN's for $500.  She knew what she had, but had the wrong market.  If you get an Envis, make sure the battery box isn't cracked, and remember that you'll spend $120 on the adapter to helmet mount it.  

The other is a PVS 14 I just got from a local gun shop I trust for $1000.  I have no idea what tube is in it or if it's autogated, but for my use it is very serviceable.  For that price, it's hard to go wrong.

That all being said, one of these days I WILL have a pair of TNVC Sentinels or Mod 3's with white phosphor.  I made the mistake of putting on a pair.  They're in a whole different league.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top