Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2017 5:22:04 PM EDT
Howdy all, I am a beginner looking to get into nightvision. I really want one of those awesome white phosphor units from TNVC, but it is simply too expensive for me at this time.

Recently I stumbled across this kit:
http://nightlongind.com/pvs-14-blem-autogated-complete-kit/

For ~$2300, I'd get:

• ITT PVS-14 in a milspec housing w/ blemished Autogated Gen. 3 MX-11769 tube

• J-Arm

• Head gear (Skull Crusher)

• Sacrificial window

• Demist shield

• Lens cap

• Rubber eyecup

• Norotos Rhino II Mount with helmet mount plate

• No spec sheet included

Would this be a good option for me? It seems to carry a 2-year warranty from NightLong Industries. Does anyone have any experience with them? Is a blemished tube a bad idea? The sample pics didn't seem too bad.

Is there a better option out there? I'm open to everything.

thanks all
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Those blem photos look pretty decent.

I have a blem but you can't even see it if you don't know is there.

There is a YouTube channel with great instructions on how to build one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Howdy all, I am a beginner looking to get into nightvision. I really want one of those awesome white phosphor units from TNVC, but it is simply too expensive for me at this time.

For ~$2300, I'd get:

• J-Arm

• Sacrificial window

• Demist shield

• Lens cap

• Rubber eyecup

• No spec sheet included

Would this be a good option for me? It seems to carry a 2-year warranty from NightLong Industries. Does anyone have any experience with them? Is a blemished tube a bad idea? The sample pics didn't seem too bad.

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-jnsh3f/products/47/images/402/1137310_PVS-14-Blem-Autogated-Complete-Kit__16506.1425081644.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

thanks all
View Quote

Honestly, the "no spec sheet included" concerns me more than the blem.  Unless you are incredibly-OCD, you simply will not care about a blem in the field.  I'd call them and have a conversation that started something like "Look, I know there are no spec sheets, but *you* know how these tubes fare against known-spec tubes.  How are the blem tubes?"

Based on their answer to that question, I'd either FO or keep saving for something non-blem.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Honestly, the "no spec sheet included" concerns me more than the blem.  Unless you are incredibly-OCD, you simply will not care about a blem in the field.  I'd call them and have a conversation that started something like "Look, I know there are no spec sheets, but *you* know how these tubes fare against known-spec tubes.  How are the blem tubes?"

Based on their answer to that question, I'd either FO or keep saving for something non-blem.
View Quote
I’m interested to hear what they say about the specs.  Would be nice to be able to get a blem pvs14 with decent specs and not have to pay a ton.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a similar kit a couple years ago- autogated blem'd Gen 3 Omni 3 PVS14 with a few accessories for $1200 from the EE. The blem is pretty noticeable - its a white spot - but it's perfectly usable, especially for the price. It has been a great entry-level optic.

I think the "specs" are overrated in many cases. If it's gen 3, you can see at night, and it's awesome. Better specs are nice, but not necessarily vital if you're trying to do it on a budget, and especially if you're not spending a LOT of time behind them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I later picked up a autogated PVS7 from the EE with some items for $1750 with no blems.

Bought the rhino 2 for $50 from ebay and a TW bump.

If you're going cheap, then don't spend almost new money.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Good point, that is approaching new pvs14 $$$.  I just want to be able to get a decent blem from a reputable dealer with a warranty and spec sheet.  And don’t want to mess around with searching eBay or the EE.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good point, that is approaching new pvs14 $$$.  I just want to be able to get a decent blem from a reputable dealer with a warranty and spec sheet.  And don’t want to mess around with searching eBay or the EE.
View Quote
My thoughts exactly. I guess you can't have it all though. Good warranty, a solid unit, at a (relatively) inexpensive price is probably too much to ask.  I'll most likely end up buying from TNVC new, but I just wanted to make sure I was being wise with my purchase. I'm in my mid twenties so this is not an inconsequential amount of money for me or my future. Don't mistake me for being cheap y'all

Thanks for all the input to the thread so far! And thanks for the cool pics, Daggertt
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think the "specs" are overrated in many cases. If it's gen 3, you can see at night, and it's awesome. Better specs are nice, but not necessarily vital if you're trying to do it on a budget, and especially if you're not spending a LOT of time behind them.

If you're going cheap, then don't spend almost new money.
View Quote
Specs are everything when it comes to seeing in low light with no illumination. If you're going to flood what you're looking at with a bunch of IR illumination, a low spec tube will work. Here's a picture through an average spec green gen III tube, and the same view through a high spec white phosphor gen III tube.

Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:59:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Specs are everything when it comes to seeing in low light with no illumination. If you're going to flood what you're looking at with a bunch of IR illumination, a low spec tube will work. Here's a picture through an average spec green gen III tube, and the same view through a high spec white phosphor gen III tube.
https://i.imgur.com/IAgirzB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NoDbyTi.jpg
View Quote
Exactly, in a near blackout conditions when you can't see your hand in front of your face is where a high spec tube will out perform early gen 3 tubes by a huge margin. If your in an urban setting a good gen 2+/early gen 3 tube will do fine, but once you get under a heavy canopy, inside a dark structure, or no moon/star light your going to wish you had a high spec gen 3
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow.  Talk about potato pics.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Exactly, in a near blackout conditions when you can't see your hand in front of your face is where a high spec tube will out perform early gen 3 tubes by a huge margin. If your in an urban setting a good gen 2+/early gen 3 tube will do fine, but once you get under a heavy canopy, inside a dark structure, or no moon/star light your going to wish you had a high spec gen 3
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

alright guys. Obviously if everyone had $4000+ to drop on a PVS14, then we would all have hand picked gen3 WP unfilmed tubes. Got it. I mean, if money is no object, why aren't we going WP binos? On the other hand, I think it's fair to say that for someone who wants to get into Gen3 NV on a more limited budget, especially as a hobby where their life isn't going to regularly hang in the balance, the low spec G3 stuff is just fine.

You're acting like the difference between high spec and low spec tubes is generational. If you can't go high spec WP, then might as well go Gen1/2 because that's about what a low spec Gen3 tube basically looks like. We all know that's just false.

The OP is clearly not shopping for his black side unit's new gear. He just wants to get some night vision and he doesn't have a ton of money to spend. I was just pointing out that it's easy to get caught up in the spec sheet obsession we all get excited about in this forum, but for most intents and purposes, anything in his price range will look about the same - and if he doesn't want to spend a lot of money, then he should consider going for something that will satisfy his needs for cheaper simply because it doesn't have a spec sheet or incredible s/n ratio. Once he gets out playing with them at night he'll likely be perfectly satisfied with a non-highest possible spec optic - and later, as he finds himself with more disposable income, then he'll know what he wants and how best to spend his money.

I think too many people keep themselves from getting into a hobby they would enjoy due to feeling like if they can't afford the absolute best, they shouldn't get anything at all. Which is a shame, because for the majority of those who buy NV for personal use, low spec Gen3 tubes would be just fine.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
alright guys. Obviously if everyone had $4000+ to drop on a PVS14, then we would all have hand picked gen3 WP unfilmed tubes. Got it. I mean, if money is no object, why aren't we going WP binos? On the other hand, I think it's fair to say that for someone who wants to get into Gen3 NV on a more limited budget, especially as a hobby where their life isn't going to regularly hang in the balance, the low spec G3 stuff is just fine.

You're acting like the difference between high spec and low spec tubes is generational. If you can't go high spec WP, then might as well go Gen1/2 because that's about what a low spec Gen3 tube basically looks like. We all know that's just false.

The OP is clearly not shopping for his black side unit's new gear. He just wants to get some night vision and he doesn't have a ton of money to spend. I was just pointing out that it's easy to get caught up in the spec sheet obsession we all get excited about in this forum, but for most intents and purposes, anything in his price range will look about the same - and if he doesn't want to spend a lot of money, then he should consider going for something that will satisfy his needs for cheaper simply because it doesn't have a spec sheet or incredible s/n ratio. Once he gets out playing with them at night he'll likely be perfectly satisfied with a non-highest possible spec optic - and later, as he finds himself with more disposable income, then he'll know what he wants and how best to spend his money.

I think too many people keep themselves from getting into a hobby they would enjoy due to feeling like if they can't afford the absolute best, they shouldn't get anything at all. Which is a shame, because for the majority of those who buy NV for personal use, low spec Gen3 tubes would be just fine.
View Quote
Very sensible. I fo'd.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 1:03:43 AM EDT
[#12]
IMHO the system the OP is looking at is at the amount he coiuld build a high spec Gen 3 Omni VII PCS 14 or he could save a liitle more he could by a  a TNVC or JRH high spec unit with a 10 year warranty. I've yet to hear anyone complain that their NODS allow them to see in almost pitch black conditions and spending a little more wasn't worth it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 1:04:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Double tapp
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 1:37:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

For ~$2300, I'd get:

• J-Arm

• Sacrificial window

• Demist shield

• Lens cap

• Rubber eyecup

• No spec sheet included

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-jnsh3f/products/47/images/402/1137310_PVS-14-Blem-Autogated-Complete-Kit__16506.1425081644.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

thanks all
View Quote

I bought my blem 14 from Nightlong after reading some reviews here. Overall I am happy with the money spent on what I received. My tube does have some spots on it which are easily visible against a light colored background. During normal use outdoors, they are less apparent. White Phosphorus was just starting to become available when I bought mine, but having seen photos online, if given the chance, I would likely purchase the white over the green. If your budget allows for the kit you linked, it's still a good buy. I would buy from Nightlong again. Be advised, he can get busy, does lead a normal life when able, and usually has to build your NVD, so exercise more patience than I did when I purchased
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 5:13:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Ryan is good people, and a solid NVG builder.

Your blem tube will likely be an OMNI IV tube, that many heavy users here, consider to be the most durable tube for the money. You'll be happy with what he sends you, he's pretty anal about his builds.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Specs are important to an extent but id take anything almost over trying move around or perform any task at night.

Your your comparison photo shows a filmed green and an unfilmed white phosphor. The comparison here is not even fair and it has nothing to do with the phosphor being white. The lowlight usabilty in the white tube is due to the far greater photoresponse that unfilmed tubes enjoy. Although these high spec unfilmed tubes are considered gen 3+ there was brief period of time when such technology was designated gen 4. Although that designation was redacted, it does go to show that unfilmed tubes are very advanced technology and comparing unfilmed tubes against filmed tubes isnt a very fair comparison to start with.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#17]
You may have dodged a bullet here, OP. Something not right about this place.

I ordered a blem on the 13th. On the 17th, as I had not yet received any info about the order, I emailed them requesting a tracking number or ship date. Crickets.
Yesterday morning I emailed them again, and let them know if I didn't hear back I would file a paypal claim.

This sucks. Now my NV money is going to be tied up in a paypal dispute, and it's Discount season.
What is up with a place that can't do something as simple and basic as respond to a damn email? I'm SURE I don't want to get into warranty issues with this seller.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You may have dodged a bullet here, OP. Something not right about this place.

I ordered a blem on the 13th. On the 17th, as I had not yet received any info about the order, I emailed them requesting a tracking number or ship date. Crickets.
Yesterday morning I emailed them again, and let them know if I didn't hear back I would file a paypal claim.

This sucks. Now my NV money is going to be tied up in a paypal dispute, and it's Discount season.
What is up with a place that can't do something as simple and basic as respond to a damn email? I'm SURE I don't want to get into warranty issues with this seller.
View Quote
I dont know anything about the seller in question but im always willing to try and help out those in need. PM me. I may be able to help you out with this.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I dont know anything about the seller in question but im always willing to try and help out those in need. PM me. I may be able to help you out with this.
View Quote
Thank you, that's a very kind offer. I think I probably need to wait on Paypal to refund me, just in case this place pulls one out of their butt at the last second and ships it. Paypal doesn't care about very LATE shipments, just ones that don't happen at all.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Honestly,  the "no spec sheet included" concerns me more than the blem .  Unless you are incredibly-OCD, you simply will not care about a blem in the field.  I'd call them and have a conversation that started something like "Look, I know there are no spec sheets, but *you* know how these tubes fare against known-spec tubes.  How are the blem tubes?"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For ~$2300, I'd get:

• J-Arm

• Sacrificial window

• Demist shield

• Lens cap

• Rubber eyecup

• No spec sheet included

thanks all
Honestly,  the "no spec sheet included" concerns me more than the blem .  Unless you are incredibly-OCD, you simply will not care about a blem in the field.  I'd call them and have a conversation that started something like "Look, I know there are no spec sheets, but *you* know how these tubes fare against known-spec tubes.  How are the blem tubes?"

this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top