Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2017 1:26:47 PM EDT
From this thread

Here is what we learned last night.   We taped heater hand warmer packs to cardboard targets and set them up at 50 yards.  

We used the “clip-on” method for the IR Patrol 300 in front of our Trijicon V-COG’s also sighted in at 50 yards.  

Set the V-COG’s to 1.5 power and the picture is awesome.  

However the rounds were not hitting the target as projected by the V-COG’s.  There was a shift in what we saw and what we actually hit by about 6 inches at 50 yards.

What we learned was to first sight in the IR Patrol 300 at the same 50 yard distance as our V-COG’s but without the V-COG.  

Unlike a scope:

Left windage is shifted right and vice versus.

Elevation is down for up and vice versus.

I forgot that the IR Patrol 300 is basically a small TV screen that needed adjustment too.  

Then add the V-COGs and turn off the recticle.   Works great now !
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an ir hunter mkii 20 mm and the one time I tried to use it as a clip on it was about 3ft below and 3ft to the left of the target at 100 yards. I didn't know there was a way to correct this and I've used it as a standalone scope ever since. I'd love to use it as a clip on but I gave up. as far as I can remember, both scopes are zeroed at 100. any thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#2]
A clip on should not have to be zeroed. Idk what it should be called but clip on it is not.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an ir hunter mkii 20 mm and the one time I tried to use it as a clip on it was about 3ft below and 3ft to the left of the target at 100 yards. I didn't know there was a way to correct this and I've used it as a standalone scope ever since. I'd love to use it as a clip on but I gave up. as far as I can remember, both scopes are zeroed at 100. any thoughts?
View Quote
I figured the same as all of you guys that a clip on stands alone.  

Then I realized that unlike a NVG which simply brightens up the ambient light, thermal gives you a picture, much like your television.  If the picture is off, what you see will be off.  

The two are shifted (if you will) against each other.   So by turning on the cross hairs and making a windage/elevation adjustment for 50 yards, that placed the tv screen of the thermal in line with that of the VCOG sight, both now set at 50 yards.  

Give it a try, even at 100 and I suspect you should right on the money.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A clip on should not have to be zeroed. Idk what it should be called but clip on it is not.
View Quote
It is designed for both, a sight, and a clip on.  

If you use it as a clip on your going to have to sight it in too.   Then you can turn off the cross hairs and use the Red dot or VCOG as you have it sighted in.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
^^^^
This is very true. It’s not a clip on.
If you need to shoot it to zero it why not just use it as a stand alone?
I’m still pretty upset about the being advertised as such.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

^^^^
This is very true. It’s not a clip on.
If you need to shoot it to zero it why not just use it as a stand alone?
I’m still pretty upset about the being advertised as such.
View Quote
Yea, the SNIPE-IR is the only clip on that is such in their product line
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yea, the SNIPE-IR is the only clip on that is such in their product line
View Quote
I under stand this. I purchased 2 IR Patrols before the SNIPE was ever mentioned or released.

Also was holding out for the software update that was promised that never came to fruition.

At the very least X/Y readouts would be nice.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Got one of the first 300's. The lack of x/y made the product almost worthless as a scope-sighting in was that big of pita. The lack of a secure repeatable mount was bad too. The fact they refused to fix either was not excusable. Every see months I browse this forum to see if they still have left 300 owner hanging.

That said, use it as a 100 and love my Hunter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top