Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2017 9:55:57 AM EDT
I picked up a new set of NODs and they came with an amber filter. I looked it up to see exactly what it's intended use is (reducing green light backsplash onto your face to decrease the chance of being seen while using NV in dark).

Tried it out in a pitch black bathroom with a mirror to see the difference and I am not certain I really see the value especially given that I'm not using NODs to hunt animals. Do you guys find these things useful? Maybe I'm not thinking about things in the right way. My intended use for my NODs is night shooting for fun.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Ill bite.

Not a fan here. I couldn't keep mine from popping off all the time, its very annoying.

It does cut down on the visibility a bit as well.

Im not in the battlefield, so I ditched it.

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I picked up a new set of NODs and they came with an amber filter. I looked it up to see exactly what it's intended use is (reducing green light backsplash onto your face to decrease the chance of being seen while using NV in dark).

Tried it out in a pitch black bathroom with a mirror to see the difference and I am not certain I really see the value especially given that I'm not using NODs to hunt animals. Do you guys find these things useful? Maybe I'm not thinking about things in the right way. My intended use for my NODs is night shooting for fun.
View Quote

It helps eye fatigue also but reduces brightness.... and its for when your hunting the two legged animals that it is a concern.

I use the one ultimate night vision sells that screws in. Never had an issue with it coming loose. Heard that the Wilcox can pop off but no personal experience.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I like them for 10160 tubes.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]
They're "intended" for "deep" stealth where the tube's splashback might compromise your position.

Some folks also like them because they find the yellowish hue to be more comfortable to their eyes than the green phosphor.

Some people also like the "rubber bumper" effect of the mounting rings for the Wilcox, while others still like the fact that they act as a sacrificial lens.

IMHO, the impact on image quality is not worth the reduced splashback for most people and under most circumstances--only if you absolutely, positively need to reduce your signature as much as possible, even to the point where you'd be willing to give up some image quality for reduced signature.

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't see any use for them, shit can them.  Or EE I suppose.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ill bite.

Not a fan here. I couldn't keep mine from popping off all the time, its very annoying.

It does cut down on the visibility a bit as well.

Im not in the battlefield, so I ditched it.

YMMV
View Quote
I have the type that screw in and I love it, much better than the Wilcox type. The green from the 14 gives me a headache after a while and the amber filter cuts down on the headache.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you guys use anything to protect the eye piece?

I've had mine on there for a while and was planning on removing them for many or the reasons listed above, but the protection they provide has prevented me from doing so.

What are some good options?

For those not using them as well, do you even bother putting the rubber eye piece on, or just leave them bare?
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I will use demist shields, they work as a pretty good sacrificial lens.

Beyond that, I remove the rubber eyecap and run my NODs further out than what many consider "typical."

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have the type that screw in and I love it, much better than the Wilcox type. The green from the 14 gives me a headache after a while and the amber filter cuts down on the headache.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up on a screw in version brother. Of course I bought the wrong one

The one I have makes me want to tear my hair out
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Does running an amber filter affect the purple vision thing?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ll also add the UNV one is a glass iIRC and it’s not nearly as dark as the Wilcox one. The Wilcox one is super dark.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top