Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2017 1:10:05 PM EDT
So far I am looking at the sponsor on this site TNVC

Looking to do the NVG and weapon mount. SO far I find the PVS-14 is not a weapon mount as it does not have some sort of cross hair reticle. Thus I need another optic on top of that to use it. Correct me if I got that wrong please.
To use the NVG TNV/PVS-14 L3 Gen3 OMNI VIII I need a mount. there is 2 choices on budget. The bump helmet, or the stop a 9mm if need be by a zombie TNV/PVS-14 L3 Gen3 OMNI VIII. I figure to go with the bullet resistant just in case...

So to do shooting with rifle it looks that I need to do a entry thermal such as the FLIR ThermoSight PRO PTS233 on the rifle just to hit what is out there.

Then comes the IR designator. So I can use the NVG to see sheite but to hit it I need a designator, got it... something like this... Steiner DBAL-D2 Class 1 IR Laser.

So to be effective at night I need:
TNV/PVS-14 L3 Gen3 OMNI VIII :to see sheite
FLIR ThermoSight PRO PTS233   : to see non movers
Steiner DBAL-D2 Class 1 IR Laser   : to point weapon at stuff to shoot
Gentex TBH-II MC High Cut  : to mount NVG to see sheite at night

Am I doing this wrong?

I have to wait another day to burn credit card again.

Any opinions would be appreciated here

ETA, I cant put pics on here for anythign
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Don’t forget the mounts and helmet counter weight.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So far I am looking at the sponsor on this site TNVC

Looking to do the NVG and weapon mount. SO far I find the PVS-14 is not a weapon mount (You can mount to rifle with a PVS14 mount, but most people dont) as it does not have some sort of cross hair reticle (It's correct that PVS-14 does not have a reticle). Thus I need another optic on top of that to use it. (Not if you're intending to use a DBAL, that is your "optic" so to speak). Correct me if I got that wrong please. 

To use the NVG TNV/PVS-14 L3 Gen3 OMNI VIII I need a mount. there is 2 choices on budget. The bump helmet, or the stop a 9mm if need be by a zombie TNV/PVS-14 L3 Gen3 OMNI VIII. I figure to go with the bullet resistant just in case...(your call on ballistic or not, yes you'll need a mount to attach to the helmet)

So to do shooting with rifle it looks that I need to do a entry thermal such as the FLIR ThermoSight PRO PTS233 on the rifle just to hit what is out there.
(Nice to have both thermal & NVG, but not necessary if using a DBAL)

Then comes the IR designator. So I can use the NVG to see sheite but to hit it I need a designator, got it... something like this... Steiner DBAL-D2 Class 1 IR Laser.
(Very good choice and the way I'd recommend to move forward, you use the dbal to get on target)

So to be effective at night I need:
TNV/PVS-14 L3 Gen3 OMNI VIII :to see sheite
FLIR ThermoSight PRO PTS233   : to see non movers (go the dbal route and save $)
Steiner DBAL-D2 Class 1 IR Laser   : to point weapon at stuff to shoot
Gentex TBH-II MC High Cut  : to mount NVG to see sheite at night
(helmet usually does not include mount, only the bracket to attach it to).
Need mount from pvs-14 to helmet (INVG, Wilcox, ect)

Am I doing this wrong?

I have to wait another day to burn credit card again.it will burn.
Any opinions would be appreciated here
ETA, I cant put pics on here for anythign
View Quote
My opinions.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on what you're wanting to do.  A weapon mounted PVS14 with a NV compatible red dot in front of it will allow you to see and shoot things in the dark (assuming some ambient light is available).  An IR light/laser will improve the situation.

A thermal will allow you to see somewhat but isn't great for navigating.  A thermal has the advantage when shooting critters.  

Seems like a lot of guys here have both which would be fantastic.  I've only got the funds for one so I went with a PTS233 (when it arrives).  I bowhunt regularly so getting around in the dark isn't that big of a deal for me and my interest in shooting at night lies solely with killing coyotes.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you pretty much got it..

I didnt get the pts233 thermal and feel im not seeing alot of stuff thats out there with my NV.

I cant see mounting a pvs14 on a rifle with anything other than the wilcox mount.i also dont plan on mounting a good one on a rifle either,i plan to get a low quality used one for that purpose.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#5]
How much money ya got?

IMHO, the ideal basic setup if you can afford it is:

- Helmet mounted NVD (requires device, helmet, articulating arm, mounting arm--if you want to be fancy, counterweights, IFF indicators/beacons, nav lights, but those are not required--for a basic PVS-14, many folks don't see the need for any counterweight at all, though others find it to be more comfortable)

- NV compatible RDS with a high mount--this will allow you to shoot passively through the RDS, and arguably make more precise shots since you don't have the added offsets of the laser

- IR laser aiming module (LAM) that has both an aiming laser and an onboard illuminator, so that you can use them simultaneously if needed, good choices include the DBAL-D2, DBAL-A3, DBAL-I2 (single spectrum), ATPIAL-C, and "the Cadillac," the B. E. Meyers MAWL-C1

- Good weapon mounted white light, because sometimes you just need to go white light

Once you've got those covered, you can start looking at some of the... fancier toys, and there are many.

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much money ya got?

IMHO, the ideal basic setup if you can afford it is:

- Helmet mounted NVD (requires device, helmet, articulating arm, mounting arm--if you want to be fancy, counterweights, IFF indicators/beacons, nav lights, but those are not required--for a basic PVS-14, many folks don't see the need for any counterweight at all, though others find it to be more comfortable)

- NV compatible RDS with a high mount--this will allow you to shoot passively through the RDS, and arguably make more precise shots since you don't have the added offsets of the laser

- IR laser aiming module (LAM) that has both an aiming laser and an onboard illuminator, so that you can use them simultaneously if needed, good choices include the DBAL-D2, DBAL-A3, DBAL-I2 (single spectrum), ATPIAL-C, and "the Cadillac," the B. E. Meyers MAWL-C1

- Good weapon mounted white light, because sometimes you just need to go white light

Once you've got those covered, you can start looking at some of the... fancier toys, and there are many.

~Augee
View Quote
Alright Augee, I’ll argue.
How does a tall mounted red dot sight with more height over bore then a laser= more precise shots?
(In practicality i think shooting with NV is hard so it doesn’t make a huge difference either way)
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I didnt get the pts233 thermal and feel im not seeing alot of stuff thats out there with my NV.
View Quote
You have no idea.  I run a pimped-out TNVC super tube.  When it comes to "seeing what's out there," my Pulsar Core RXQ30V leaves it in the freaking dust.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How does a tall mounted red dot sight with more height over bore then a laser= more precise shots?
(In practicality i think shooting with NV is hard so it doesn’t make a huge difference either way)
View Quote
Virtually all current production IR lasers designed for a rifle, including the one mentioned in the first post, offset the beam to the side to get around the front sight base of a standard issue M4, since this is the host these units were designed to be run on.  So you either make a small compromise in your windage and keep that offset so its parallel to your sight plane, or you have it cross at a known distance and mentally correct for it at range.  I prefer the later option, because you really can't engage THAT far with a PVS14 and if you make it POA and POI at about as far away as you can comfortably engage, then that means you'll be within a very narrow margin of error anywhere within that range.  

Augee runs binos so he actually can look through the RDS on his gun.  It takes a significant amount of risers to make it happen, as well as more expensive binos, so that's probably not in the scope of this operation with a PVS14.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Virtually all current production IR lasers designed for a rifle, including the one mentioned in the first post, offset the beam to the side to get around the front sight base of a standard issue M4, since this is the host these units were designed to be run on.  So you either make a small compromise in your windage and keep that offset so its parallel to your sight plane, or you have it cross at a known distance and mentally correct for it at range.  I prefer the later option, because you really can't engage THAT far with a PVS14 and if you make it POA and POI at about as far away as you can comfortably engage, then that means you'll be within a very narrow margin of error anywhere within that range.  

Augee runs binos so he actually can look through the RDS on his gun.  It takes a significant amount of risers to make it happen, as well as more expensive binos, so that's probably not in the scope of this operation with a PVS14.
View Quote
I understand, and am quite familiar with all of that. The point I’m making is that the distance to the bore of a mounted laser is always closer then that of a red dot, therefor making the laser theoretically more accurate then a red dot.
I think we are talking the difference between approx 2” and 3”. I personally can’t shoot a laser well enough off hand to notice a difference that small. I’m just making a witty retort to Augee’s comment.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Night Vision Laser shooting
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Height over bore is irrelevant in this scenario--assuming you already have a good day zero that you're familiar with and can make precise daytime shots with at a given range, then you can do that with an RDS at night. Not only does an IR aiming laser have a built in offset that you need to compensate for, the dot also doesn't stay "constant sized," it gets larger the further away you get.

Using an RDS passively through the NODs, your aiming point is still the same as your daytime zero to begin with, and your dot size stays constant (e.g., 1 MOA for an EOTech, or, say, 2 MOA for an Aimpoint), ergo--more precise shots than an IR laser.

The height over bore just makes it easier to use head mounted NODs.

@Soich

Binos definitely make it easier and more fun to use day optics passively (along with everything else ),  but it can be done without issue with a PVS-14 as well.

You also don't really need a "significant amount of risers," either--not only are many mounts now being made at 1.93" heights or taller (looking at you RB1 "Skyscraper" ), but "standard" height optics on a single riser is plenty sufficient--I typically prefer this so I can mount a standard height magnifier behind the RDS as well if desired.

All of this academic for MrPlayer, though, he's got way sweeter toys than I ever will.

Again, my opinion is that it's best to have both capabilities, it's not an "either, or" question.

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://media.giphy.com/media/gpufDFw0sPBYY/giphy.gif

Height over bore is irrelevant in this scenario--assuming you already have a good day zero that you're familiar with and can make precise daytime shots with at a given range, then you can do that with an RDS at night. Not only does an IR aiming laser have a built in offset that you need to compensate for, the dot also doesn't stay "constant sized," it gets larger the further away you get.

Using an RDS passively through the NODs, your aiming point is still the same as your daytime zero to begin with, and your dot size stays constant (e.g., 1 MOA for an EOTech, or, say, 2 MOA for an Aimpoint), ergo--more precise shots than an IR laser.

The height over bore just makes it easier to use head mounted NODs.

@Soich

Binos definitely make it easier and more fun to use day optics passively (along with everything else ),  but it can be done without issue with a PVS-14 as well.

You also don't really need a "significant amount of risers," either--not only are many mounts now being made at 1.93" heights or taller (looking at you RB1 "Skyscraper" ), but "standard" height optics on a single riser is plenty sufficient--I typically prefer this so I can mount a standard height magnifier behind the RDS as well if desired.

All of this academic for MrPlayer, though, he's got way sweeter toys than I ever will.

Again, my opinion is that it's best to have both capabilities, it's not an "either, or" question.

~Augee
View Quote
Alright good Sir,
I am off to see what typical advertised “MOA” size is for a variety of lasers.
A red dot is still gonna have the “enlarges as distances farther” problem. But in my experience what you are describing may very well be more “accurate”.
It’s not the size of your toys it’s how you use them.
And it’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian.....
But who shoots with fricken lasers anymore? We all know Thermal is where it’s really at for passive shooting.

I said good day Sir!
I said good day!
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I was imagining your 416 upper, with the wilcox riser, with the tall mount on it lol

I have the geissele 1.93 mount myself and love it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#15]
https://telluricgroup.com/blogs/low-light-night-vision/night-vision-gear-recommendations
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top