Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2017 5:32:11 PM EDT
I don't have experience with night vision...yet.  Will get a PVS14 in a couple of months.

Out of curiosity are you able to tell how well animals see at night compared to some of the later generations of night vision, for instance a PVS-14 unfilmed WP?  

Do they spot you easily or does it seem like you're able to see them first?
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you be more specific than "animals"?

There are a few different kinds.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have consistently owned and used NV since 94 and in my opinion whitetail deer do not see all that well at night. Around 95 I was out predator hunting on what was a pretty dark night.  I was standing on one side of a rural dirt road and I had two small bucks grooming each other on the other side which was about ten feet away, they had no idea I was there (FYI showered, scent lock, sprayed down with no wind).

During deer season I will often just stay on stand after the sun goes down just to watch the deer in the food plots. It is amazing that on nights with no moon I am convinced that the deer cannot see very far. I will have "X" number of deer in the plot and they will hear something and all alert to the noise. Now from my perch I can clearly see that the noise is another deer coming into the plots but the deer in the plot cannot. Even as the approaching deer comes into what would be a clear view during the day, talking under fifty yards they still cannot see the incoming deer so they all bolt from the plot.

NV devices have all been Gen 3 run of the mill tubes.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you be more specific than "animals"?

There are a few different kinds.
View Quote
I didn't specify because I want to know about any animals you might have experience with
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have consistently owned and used NV since 94 and in my opinion whitetail deer do not see all that well at night. Around 95 I was out predator hunting on what was a pretty dark night.  I was standing on one side of a rural dirt road and I had two small bucks grooming each other on the other side which was about ten feet away, they had no idea I was there (FYI showered, scent lock, sprayed down with no wind).

During deer season I will often just stay on stand after the sun goes down just to watch the deer in the food plots. It is amazing that on nights with no moon I am convinced that the deer cannot see very far. I will have "X" number of deer in the plot and they will hear something and all alert to the noise. Now from my perch I can clearly see that the noise is another deer coming into the plots but the deer in the plot cannot. Even as the approaching deer comes into what would be a clear view during the day, talking under fifty yards they still cannot the incoming deer so they all bolt from the plot.

NV devices have all been Gen 3 run of the mill tubes.
View Quote
That's very interesting thanks for the reply!  I bet a mountain lion could just come in take them no problem at night
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Rods and Cones....  Cones and Rods.....
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I didn't specify because I want to know about any animals you might have experience with
View Quote
Woods mice (Peromyscus spp.) are red blind, as are many other small nocturnal mammals.

If you go out in the woods at night with a red floodlight, they will run around uninhibited by the light.

They think it is dark.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Woods mice (Peromyscus spp.) are red blind, as are many other small nocturnal mammals.

If you go out in the woods at night with a red floodlight, they will run around uninhibited by the light.

They think it is dark.
View Quote
Dang, that’s really cool!  I didn’t know that
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Dang, that’s really cool!  I didn’t know that
View Quote
If you have Kangaroo Rats (Dipodomys spp.) where you live, I suspect they would also be red-blind, but I'm not absolutely certain.

It seems to be a widely shared trait among small, nocturnal rodents.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#12]
i walk my dog in the woods behind my house. When there's lots of tree cover, he moves a little slower but can weave around trees.
No problem for him if there's any ambient light.

But he can't find small things like bumpers when i play fetch with him at night, he can get close then has to smell his way to the bumper or toy.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i walk my dog in the woods behind my house. When there's lots of tree cover, he moves a little slower but can weave around trees.
No problem for him if there's any ambient light.

But he can't find small things like bumpers when i play fetch with him at night, he can get close then has to smell his way to the bumper or toy.
View Quote
Dogs don't really see worth a shit.

Their world is a world of scent, with vision just to keep from bumping into things.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quote is from here.

"Color Perception
Pigvision Institute studies showed that pigs see primarily red, green and blue wavelengths. When these colors are combined -- for example, in a multicolored pig food with red, green and blue pellets -- pigs will display a stronger visual response than when facing one color. Additionally, pigs tend to see objects as solid color; they may see the blue sky, but not perceive clouds or rainbows in the sky."

I'm not sure who said pigs are red-blind.

Some claim pigs can see a little way into what is the infra-red for humans.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
From decades of experience.

Hogs have a reputation of not being able to see well, but well is relative. My experience is that they see about as well as we humans do.

The one exemption to that was I was hunting WAY back in the day with a Gen One Night Owl or some such. It was pitch black. I literally couldn't see my hand in front of my face and I typically see well in the dark compared to most others. It was just a completely overcast night with thick cloud cover and no light. I had a pig come in and "he" wasn't bouncing off of trees. So he could "see" better than me. Because I could not have navigated my way to that spot without a light.

Those "Red Blind" pigs could also see the little dim red light from that Night Owl. Of course bow hunting from right from on top of them is a lot different than gun hunting them.

I was trying to use a 10 ft tripod and was 15 yards away.
------------------------------------------

Really WAY back in the day, like when it was first legalized to hunt pigs at night, you could flop a red spot light on them from 50 yards away and there was no noticeable change in their behavior and start blasting. It didn't take long before that didn't work anymore. Less than about 2 years, that tactic was done anywhere I hunted from East to West Texas. If you turned on a red spotlight, you were shooting at running pigs.
------------------------

I have used the method of a fixed feeder and a red light that comes on a dark and goes off at dawn for over a now. There is a definite shadow line on the ground because I have my lights about 20 feet up shining at a feeder that is 20 yards away. You can see the whole clearing because of the illumination and my feeder cast corn far past the cone of light.

Most pigs will come right in and feed under the feeder. However there have been enough of them that stop at that line to notice a trend that a few will never step into that light. Even though I can see them as well as the rest, they will not step into the "light". The follow the shadow all the way around and will not step across the line they supposedly can't see. They just eat the corn that is outside the light. Usually it is big boars, but sometimes it is the sow that is with babies. At the same time some sows and boars will ignore it and come right in. There is no way to know the when and the what other than it is individuals.

I don't shoot as soon as pigs come in. I watch them. I get to observe them for long periods of time from an up close position. I learned a thing or two bow hunting in Africa, I have a box blind with sealed doors and windows and keep them closed to keep my scent inside, so I'm able to observe stuff that I was never able to see before because eventually you will get busted if you are that close if you give them long enough to get around the tree you climbed or if one of them catches a molecule of your scent from a swirl of wind or if one slips around down wind and spooks the rest of them.

So they can see something even though supposedly they can't.
View Quote
Very interesting.  Maybe if it’s pure ‘red’ they don’t see it and perhaps in this case it’s not?  Or there’s certain range of red they can or can’t see.  For instance red is 620-750 nm.  Maybe they can’t see the 700-750 nm range but still pick up the 620-700nm.  Still red but it’s not all the same per say.  They’re seeing some type of light for sure.  Maybe like Him said, possibly even into the infrared spectrum.  Maybe some of the lower nm IR lasers may tip them off? I don’t live in a place with pigs so have no experience with them.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Most animals see about as well as humans at night - and most humans can see much better than you would realize. In real terms, cats see about twice as well as humans, but twice isn't much. 

However, most animals are experienced in moving in the dark, and are much more skillful than we are at detection and evasion.

However if you spend a lot of time working in the dark, and assuming your vision is good to begin with, you'll find out that you can see quite a lot at night, even under pure starlight. Better than Gen1 and even some Gen2 night vision if it's dark enough. You can also gain quite a few skills at night.

But using NV equipment is really an unfair advantage. 

Regards
David. 
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#18]
This is an interesting thread.
At my place in the woods, I draw some slightly different conclusions.
First, I have never shaken up any animal by showing my IR laser near them. None have ever startled when the dot dances around them, but they all always startle when I use green or red lasers, including the voles and mice.

Second, all of them seem to see my Surefire 952-V - they see it on the rifle or helmet, and they look at me. I don't think they see that I am illuminating the area they are in, because the behavior I mention below never changes when I "light them up" with the Surefire.

Third, (coyotes, deer, raccoons, etc. here) seem to think the darkness is a solid thing that protects them. I can get much nearer to them than I can in daylight, even though they always know I am present, and watch me or look at me very often while I move around in the dark.
I know they can see me just fine, because I have experimented many times buy making silent, subtle moves, and the animals glance exactly at the motion and never need to scan the area to locate me.
When they do get nervous and "escape"me in the dark, they often choose to take a route through the darkness that is "right in the open" in NV/thermal, such as scooting down the driveway or across the field, when in daytime they unfailingly choose to duck into dense cover.

Because the animals have no way of guessing how PEOPLE see in the dark, but they SEE me and know I am people when I am out in the dark, I conclude they think of darkness is a kind of solid object, like a thick fog,  that is between them and threats.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#19]
All I know is that guys have claimed that pigs startled and shied away when illuminated with what was supposed to be an IR source.

I have no clue whether the guys using these sources have ever even looked into them (obliquely) to see if they can detect anything.

What is infra-red and what is ultra-violet varies with taxon, and sometimes within that taxon.

It is well known that bees can see what to primates is ultra-violet.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 6:56:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
All I know is that guys have claimed that pigs startled and shied away when illuminated with what was supposed to be an IR source.
View Quote
Well, animals should mostly be able to see an IR source that works with image tubes. So can humans.
David
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I have owls that sit in front of 2 IR cameras with 3 bright IR flood lights over them and stare into the cameras. I don't know if its the noises that the auto tracking camera makes or what put looking at the lights cameras last night with my WP PVS14 it was like looking at the sun 
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well, animals should mostly be able to see an IR source that works with image tubes. So can humans.
David
View Quote
By definition ........ if you can see it, it isn't infra-red.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#23]
In my experience deer see terrible. If the wind is right you can sneak right up on them.

Coyotes seem to see as good as I do with nightvision on. Ive had them look at me from 100 yds away and back up in the woods if I wasnt camoflagued in well or if I get backlit by a light somewhere. They are very skidish in,my area though

Skunks either see terrible or dont care. Skunks will walk right into you to where you have to move out of the way.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In my experience deer see terrible. If the wind is right you can sneak right up on them.

Coyotes seem to see as good as I do with nightvision on. Ive had them look at me from 100 yds away and back up in the woods if I wasnt camoflagued in well or if I get backlit by a light somewhere. They are very skidish in,my area though

Skunks either see terrible or dont care. Skunks will walk right into you to where you have to move out of the way.
View Quote
I thinks skunks have relatively poor eyesight.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

By definition ........ if you can see it, it isn't infra-red.
View Quote
No, by definition, if it's beetween 700nm and 900nm, it's near-infrared. If it's 900-3000nm it's SWIR.

It's not that people can't see infrared, it's just that we're not very sensitive to it. However if the intensity is sufficient, we can still see it.

Generally while we can't see the beam, we can often see the source.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#26]
my damn dog doesn't see worth a dang at night! He's come outside into the backyard with me. I go walk around with the NV on, while he goes back inside. He'll come back out, see me, and come running full speed barking and snarling. 

Or maybe hes just dumb! 
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#27]
This is an interesting thread because when you say "how well" can animals, including us, can see in the dark, it goes beyond the mere biology of the eyeball.  Hawk raises a very good point.  I spent the vast majority of my time active duty patrolling at night without NV.  When you invest the time and effort into getting good at moving and seeing at night, you might be amazed at how well you can "see" at night.  "Seeing" involves not only your other senses but also spending as much time stationary as moving.  I think the first Europeans learned this from the Indians (can I use this term without anyone here getting all butt hurt?).  The Indians learned this I'm sure from watching the animals.  So your ability to "see" at night depends as much on your fieldcraft as it does your eyesight.

Back to the OP, watching deer move through my back yard is like watching a ranger patrol.  They move slowly, single file, with proper spacing, making frequent "security halts".  When something spooks them, the tail goes up, just like H&A signals.  Their "break contact" drills can use a little work, however, I have seen one deer wait until every member of the herd or harem moves out before following them.

So yeah beyond just eyesight, seeing at night is a specialized activity that must be learned and practiced often.  I would say the average human sucks at this because he spends very little time in the bush.  Animals live there so are very good at it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
my damn dog doesn't see worth a dang at night! He's come outside into the backyard with me. I go walk around with the NV on, while he goes back inside. He'll come back out, see me, and come running full speed barking and snarling. 

Or maybe hes just dumb! 
View Quote
I think my dog has "T-Rex" vision, if it doesn't move, she won't see it.  She took a piss right next to a baby bunny that was burrowed in the grass and didn't see it until it decided to run.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Folks this is what I'd call the deadly corner.  You have people who have no experience at night ops and no NV equipment.  You have people with no experience at night ops, and have NV equipment.  Then you have people with experience in night ops, without any NV equipment.  And finally, you have peeps with night ops experience, and NV equipment.  That animal sees the best at night.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#31]
on a full moon night a coyote can spot you from more than 300 yards if you are in the open.  Starlit nights they can see you in the open around 100 yards.   On cloudy nights you can get to within about 60 or 70 yards if you are very careful walking.  They can see very well if you are moving!
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Earlier in the season I shot a buck at last legal light, which past sunset here, think civil twilight.  I could barely make out the antlers and I waited as it walked toward me completely oblivious to me being there.  Earlier in the season that same buck at the same range in the exact same spot in the field had me busted dead to rights when there was more light.  I am convinced he just did not see me in the waning light when I dumped him.  

I had the advantage of the scope pulling in more light than his eyes could during the transitional lighting conditions.  If it was true dark I think he would have been at an advantage.  

So, in my experience deer don't have an advantage over us with optical tools and not just when we break out NVGs.  In daylight I think a deer's eyesight is about like ours but they sense movement better.  Though I have been amazed at how well our brain "sees" movement and draws our attention to it.  I would love to read articles on why we can do it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I hunt in a place with lots of deer.  There will be 15 to 20 in the plots most nights.   On a quarter moon, I've walked into the plots with them and they never really spooked.  Had an 8 pt feeding 7 steps from me while sitting in a blue lawn chair.  I don't feel they see very well at night.  I do know that once your have been in their danger zone for a bit they accept you as no danger at night.  Now if you stink and they get a whiff of you it's a different story.  If they see a blob moving in the dark and you haven't harmed then for a bit they start ignoring you.  Pigs don't seem to use their sight much to detect danger. Also when they are rooting they make so much noise they can't hear you sneaking up on them.  If they smell you they are gone.  Heck you can walk up to them in the daytime when they are rooting.  What's hard is hunting them in 3000 acres of timber with cutover scattered throughout and where baiting is illegal.  It rivals hunting Viet Cong in the jungle of Vietnam I'm sure.  You just have to get lucky and cross paths with them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
on a full moon night a coyote can spot you from more than 300 yards if you are in the open.  Starlit nights they can see you in the open around 100 yards.   On cloudy nights you can get to within about 60 or 70 yards if you are very careful walking.  They can see very well if you are moving!
View Quote
Im not too sure about the parts with no moon and cloud cover. I hunt when there is no moon and out in the middle of fields and I had a few instances last year that lead me to believe their eye sight plain sucks when there is no moon. With no moon im not really worried about movement until they are within 25-30 yards.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 12:37:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep. If I was hunting them, I could probably kill all of the deer in my area with a slingshot as long as I stood downwind at night. They can be downright oblivious.

You know who else is oblivious? Opossums. How many times in one night can that guy walk almost over the top of my boot and not even notice what he's doing?

You know who DGAF? My local armadillo. I encounter him in the middle of the night and he's like, "Sup. I'm snorting lines of ants tonight. Wanna share?" And moves on.

You know who is NOT oblivious? My ducks. Holy shit, if I shed a hair from my head in the middle of the night I swear they will see or hear it. People say ducks are blind at night. Blind my ass, if that's true, I have wallhacking Pekins with wolf ears.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Ducks fly at night to migrate often. Scientist think they use the Stars to navigate. They have also been shown to be able to sense magnetic fields and use that to orient. Crazy nature.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I climbed into my box stand on the plot the other night and had a big wasp nest over my head.  I was fine till i turned in the IR light. They started buzzing and going crazy. It was fine when the light was out. No doubt they see ir.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:34:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You know who is NOT oblivious? My ducks...
View Quote
Ducks and geese are known to have compromised SEAL teams when approaching villages at night in Vietnam. There's a rumor the MK22 Hush Puppy was almost nicknamed something less flattering.

Of course dogs were also a concern.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Third, (coyotes, deer, raccoons, etc. here) seem to think the darkness is a solid thing that protects them.
View Quote
I've never heard it expressed quite like that, but I agree completely.  Deer are just flat out stupid at night.  It is like they KNOW that you can't see them because it is dark.

Quoted:
View Quote
On my IR Streamlights, I replaced the transparent lens with the lens material form a 30mm 850 IR bypass filter.  Really reduced the dull red glow and went a long way in reducing the deer seeing the light's output and decreasing the amount of times deer busted me and ran off, and in turn, spooking the pigs away.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a skunk on the property i hunt and I’d like him dead.

Can you just shoot a skunk? What happens if it’s not a clean kill?

To contribute to the conversation, I’ve hunted a good bit at night in the last year+ and have to agree on the deer don’t care at night theme. Numerous times i watched deer look up at me while walking a field at night and they didn’t move or confined eating without concern.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top