Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2017 2:48:46 PM EDT
Ok I am about to delve into the world of IR lasers and was looking for the advisement of the NV gods. I currently have a lasermax uni-ir on my AR but it is hard to see further distance seems like it blooms out. Main purpose of the laser will be coyote and hog hunting, secondary will be personal protection. Ok so here is the crazy.....it would be great to be able to zero in the day because I live behind the lines in Illinois and don't really have a place to zero in at night. Thanks for any direction and was leaning towards TNVC dbal or atpial.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Slaved lasers necessary?

Dbal - d2, cqbl
ETA - if you can find a place to zero IR at night I would (and did) get the new dbal single spectrum peq2....  mount unit, look thru red dot, put IR @ red dot poa, check with irons....  

Nowhere you can get 25/36/50yd zero? What makes it more doable in day-time than night?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#2]
How far do you intend to shoot with ir laser? If your wanting to place good shots on coyotes past 100 yards you might want to think about a night vision scope of some type.

Do you belong to a club that doesn't allow shooting at night? Illinois doesn't have any laws on shooting after dark that I'm aware of.

edit: Might be something wrong with your uni-ir. That was the first ir laser I bought and mine is easy to see way out. I switched over to an ital just because its more rugged. The ital really blooms out on targets so I added a neutral density filter to tame it down.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]
The most accurate way to zero is to use your IR laser and over lap it to your red dot sight at the furthest distance you can see at night. By using this method your IR laser uses the same hold overs as your RDS. I recommend using a 50/200 zero. Using a slaved visible laser will get you close, but I've found zeroing your IR laser is far superior. If your laser blooms use an IR illuminator to cut down the bloom. Also a G.I. PVS 14 weapons mount can be bought new/used for 15.00-30.00 on Fleabay.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
My range does not allow night shooting (aurora sportsman) and I do have a night vision scope already (pulsar n750). This is for another weapon so looking at different options since I have a pvs14. Hope this answers some questions.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Slaved lasers necessary?

Dbal - d2, cqbl
ETA - if you can find a place to zero IR at night I would (and did) get the new dbal single spectrum peq2....  mount unit, look thru red dot, put IR @ red dot poa, check with irons....  

Nowhere you can get 25/36/50yd zero? What makes it more doable in day-time than night?
View Quote
I live in OK, which is like gun heaven compared to Illinois, and I still don't have anywhere to shoot at night anymore. All the local ranges, even the private one i'm a member of, close at dusk and do not allow shooting at night.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My range does not allow night shooting (aurora sportsman) and I do have a night vision scope already (pulsar n750). This is for another weapon so looking at different options since I have a pvs14. Hope this answers some questions.
View Quote
Since the N750 is digital I would mount and zero it (write down settings from firearm its currently on before you pull it off) on the firearm you are wanting to use the ir laser on then just adjust the ir laser to line up with the N750 reticle. Pull the N750 off and remount to current firearm, put settings back to where they were and your done. Sounds like a lot of trouble but if its the only way you can zero the ir laser then it will be worth it. I've used my Sightmark Photon to do the same. Good thing about digitals....you can use the pin hole cover for sighting in during daylight hours and not worry about burning a blem into a tube.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have access to somewhere that you can bring your rifle out to and stretch out to about 200m, then you can use a boresight panel to zero your IR laser to your day sight, no live-fire required as long as you have a good zero on your day sight:

Just make a 3x3' panel (you can literally cut open a box and use cardboard, or build a dedicated panel), and paint the high-contrast pattern which will be visible at night through a PVS-14 at 200m. A 3/4" road reflector is placed at the center of the boresight panel, and you can align your day sight to the center of the panel, then adjust the laser onto the center until the beam hits the reflector and blooms.

With a good day zero, you can boresight the laser in a matter of minutes, and it should match your day offsets (at least closely enough for practical shooting) that you're already accustomed to.

Your zero will start at mechanical offset at the muzzle, then converge at 200m, then begin drifting away again, and your POA offset is never greater than the mechanical offset of the laser until you reach 400m, and you can use this method to zero any device in any position, rather than having to use a specific zero target for a specific device in a specific location.

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the tips will try augee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top