Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2017 8:47:56 PM EDT
My PVS 7 has recently developed a lot of tiny sparling dots. Don't really know how to describe it; hundreds of very tiny flashing (sparkling) dots popping and flashing; kinda like when you turn it on with cap on? Not seen this so pronounced before.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Is your manual gain up to high or are you in a darker location with less light than before? I'm not sure on how new you are to NV, so I'm starting with simple problems/fixes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Might just be a little darker, little moonlight tonight, thin layer of fog rolling in. Don't think I have an adjustable gain.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Stolen from TNVC:
Scintillation: Also known as electronic noise. A faint, random, sparkling effect throughout the image area. Scintillation is a normal characteristic of plate image intensifiers and is more pronounced under low-light-level conditions.

Depending on your Gen/performance of tube the better it will preform under low-near dark conditions. Use of a IR illuminator will help in darker conditions.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stolen from TNVC:
Scintillation: Also known as electronic noise. A faint, random, sparkling effect throughout the image area. Scintillation is a normal characteristic of plate image intensifiers and is more pronounced under low-light-level conditions.

Depending on your Gen/performance of tube the better it will preform under low-near dark conditions. Use of a IR illuminator will help in darker conditions.
View Quote
Thanks this describes it. Scintillation is most likely it reading the description in a manual. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Two things cause scintillation.

1) EBI - This causes very dull scintillation - Normally, unless it's really, really dark, you won't notice this.
2) Ion Strikes.

2) is the problem. It's caused by electrons colliding with gas molecules within the tube. When this is increasing, it means the tube is taking on more gas. That means the tube is dying.

How much longer? Who knows. If shading occurs, I'd say months to a year. For other gas problems, 2 to 3 years? If it gets worse when it's off, then I assume gain will decrease until it's not usable.

Check it on a really dark night next to a good one. Don't start worrying about a tube until you *know* it's faulty.

David. 
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for advice guys. I have a 14 I can compare it too. The 7 was used so I have no idea about life on it. What would an average cost to have it repaired?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Lots of options for replacement tubes on epay.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of options for replacement tubes on epay.
View Quote
+1... Easily solved. 

But as I said, and I should stress, until you know it's broken, it's not broken.  We all see different sides of our night vision gear depending on how dark it is. We're not very good at judging how dark it really is, so you might just have looked at it on a very dark night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top