Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2017 9:13:28 PM EDT
I recently bought a 5/8" Wilcox Riser system for my rifle, so that I could shoot through the EXPS passively.  My first time out, I realized that I can't keep my front BUIS on the riser because it blocks the IR laser from my ATPIAL-C.  The BUIS i'm using is the KAC micro, and its the screw portion of the sight blocking the laser, not the riser itself.  So I'm wondering if anyone has this setup and knows if any other BUIS work, or if I'm just SOL.  Thanks! 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Wonder if the MBUS pros will work.  Those are a little narrower.   Don't have a pic handy but could get you one if you need it.  I don't have a NV set up but could get you a width across the sight.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I recently bought a 5/8" Wilcox Riser system for my rifle, so that I could shoot through the EXPS passively.  My first time out, I realized that I can't keep my front BUIS on the riser because it blocks the IR laser from my ATPIAL-C.  The BUIS i'm using is the KAC micro, and its the screw portion of the sight blocking the laser, not the riser itself.  So I'm wondering if anyone has this setup and knows if any other BUIS work, or if I'm just SOL.  Thanks! 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/209203/20171017_201334-337329.JPG
View Quote

I’d consider ditching the BUIS.

You’ve already got a redundancy with the EoThinky and the Collimated Light.

ETA, RailScales will be releasing a LEAF (backup front iron designed to be mounted on the laser itself) for ATPIALs soon.

https://www.railscales.us/products/leaf
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:52:28 AM EDT
[#3]
You could also try mounting the riser behind the laser if you really wanted to retain your iron sight capability. Side-mounting could be an option as well. A LEAF would not be a viable solution unless it came with some sort of provision for built in risers, as it is "calibrated" for a "normal" iron sight height, and thus would be too low to use in conjunction with a riser mounted rear sight.

If you want to try to get as narrow as possible to try to use the riser in front of the laser, the Griffin sights are probably your best bet:

However, you can/will get some splash-back/reflection off the rear sight/riser, even if you're not necessarily blocking the emitters. With the .410" system, you can just barely clear/shoot the gap with the ATPIAL, but you do still get a little bit of reflection.

The front sight riser is not really the most... elegant solution that could have been devised, and basically feels like something that was tacked on to fulfill a random requirement that someone insisted on that the riser/flip mount system include the ability to use back-up iron sights--the riser system was designed for the KAC Micro sights, but again, I suspect that had Wilcox Industries really cared to come up with a more polished solution, they could have, but I doubt iron sights were considered a high priority when developing the kit, and hence the front sight riser feels like a little bit of an afterthought compared to the rest of the system.

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah, gotcha... I thought the laser was also on the riser.

Agree, move the laser in front of the FS riser.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah you could shit-can it, or go with the 45 deg off-sets.  I put my MBUS behind my OTAL, which means the pressure switch must go at 9 o'clock, so it depends.  I'm using a 3-slot Burris riser on the front to match the Hahn Precision one the RDS and BUS sit on in the rear.  It's nice with the laser out front, since that's the aiming system priority, followed by mini RDS, then BUS.   But yeah, lots of redundancy here, depends on your mission requirements and whether BUS might be usable in certain situations.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input, I'll probably just dump the BUIS or see about moving it behind the laser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top