BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2017 9:11:25 PM EDT
First here is what I have:

223 with 3rd gen D740
300 Blackout with ir laser
PVS-14
120x160 Raytheon Thermal Eye

The coyotes are getting too plentiful here and I want to upgrade my thermal spotter.  The Thermal Eye works (sort of) but I would like to further my detection range and have better detection when they are partially obscured.
There are a few Pulsar HD19a's still for sale.  Used would be nice.  That's really my budget.  I could spend a little more if the gain is beneficial.  

Should I pursue a Pulsar spotter?  Wait for something new like the Flir Q14-B?  Or save more money?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a thermal eye just like yours. I also have a pulsar38hd. The 38 is a big step up IMO especially at long range. Not sure on the 19 with a much smaller lens. The Flir looks much smaller than the pulsar offerings and would probably be better IMO.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah the size of the Flir looks nice.  Performance comparisons remain to be seen.  I do like scopes with adjustable objectives.  Seems to make a difference in stalking through the woods vs scanning fields.  Although with a 1x scope might not be absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
First here is what I have:

223 with 3rd gen D740
300 Blackout with ir laser
PVS-14
120x160 Raytheon Thermal Eye

The coyotes are getting too plentiful here and I want to upgrade my thermal spotter.  The Thermal Eye works (sort of) but I would like to further my detection range and have better detection when they are partially obscured.
There are a few Pulsar HD19a's still for sale.  Used would be nice.  That's really my budget.  I could spend a little more if the gain is beneficial.  

Should I pursue a Pulsar spotter?  Wait for something new like the Flir Q14-B?  Or save more money?
View Quote

I would not buy a new HD19a but would definitely buy a used one if the price was right.  It's a solid performer.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah the size of the Flir looks nice.  Performance comparisons remain to be seen.  I do like scopes with adjustable objectives.  Seems to make a difference in stalking through the woods vs scanning fields.  Although with a 1x scope might not be absolutely necessary.
View Quote
The 38 I have has a focusable 2X lens, and for spotting thats pretty useful. I also like the manual contrast/brightness on the pulsar but I "grew up" using old school units that had those adjusments so its probably a personal preference. Detection wise, the 38 is better than the old thermal eye I have as well, several hundred yards is no problem for most medium sized game. Can't always ID it, but I can tell its there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top