Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2017 6:41:52 AM EDT
I am tired of spending way too much money on gen 1 goggles/monoculors. I have bought about 8 different kinds of gen 1s and a few of them were actually well made. It just sucked always having to focus the objective lense and if you wanted to be covert you couldnt use the on board IR light which with gen 1 u always need some IR light. I used a princeton tec helmet light instead often or a handheld IR light so thst red dot wouldnt be a neon sign saying shoot me here rigjt in my head.

I would imagine that this topic has been talked about a lot so I apologize if it has been brought up and I'm doing it again but I really need some fresh ideas. I'm looking to build a generation 3 PVS 7. I know very very little about what is a good price and what is a good lens and what makes a good lens good. I found a complete PVS 7 bodies brand new for $700 which seems like it might be a decent price but again I don't really know so that's why I'm here posting. I also found a generation 3 Itt tube for $500 that was also brand new which seemed to be a fair price but I realize that there are quite a few different models that do different things and may not be what I want for the particular set up I'm looking at.

So basically what I'm asking from you guys is if you could tell me what a decent price is to spend on a empty the body of a PVS 7 and what model of Generation 3 tube I should be looking for and at about what price would be considered Fair and any other things that you can tell me that I should be looking out for. I really would appreciate the help guys cuz I've been looking around like crazy and I'm just kind of lost. Thanks in advance for the help
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you priced out building a PVS14 instead? I built a PVS14 Gen 3 Omni VII blem free, automated, manual gain, high spec tube for just under 2,200. Similarly priced units go for 3,000 and up. IMHO the 14s are more durable, light weight, weapons mountable, and all around a better choice vs a 7. Since you've spent a lot of money on NV that you have now out grown you don't want to waste money on a Gen III 7 to find out you'd be better off spend a few dollars more for a 14.  If your set on a PVS7 just be advised not all Gen III are equal so doing some research would be advised. Here is a good thread that shows how different tubes preform:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/-/18-317705/?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Build a pvs 14 it’s what your looking for not a pvs 7 just be ready once you have one you’ll want everything that goes with it

You wanted autogated thin film or filmless if your budget allows

Also pvs 14 kits cost as much or less then pvs 7 kits

Last pvs 7 kit I bought was $550
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have only used gen 1 so far but i have had 8 different models some goggles and some monoculors. They both have their pros and cons but i know i do prefer the goggles over the monoculor. I just dont care for the one ehe deal except that you do keep your depth perception with the one eye not using NV. With goggles i have found my ways to be able to use my eyes but rather limited view without looking thru the goggles for when its needed which can be often. Thats is definitely a plus for the monoculor.

gungrass! Did you say you built a pvs7 for $550?
PLEASE go into detail for me on that.
What is the best gen 3 tube to get for the money to go into a pvs7 and how much should a pvs7 body cost?
I apologize for the questions it's just like I said I no very little and don't want to bye the wrong items and spend too much so I was hoping to take your guys knowledgeable brains about this subject. So thank you very much

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Build a pvs 14 it’s what your looking for not a pvs 7 just be ready once you have one you’ll want everything that goes with it

You wanted autogated thin film or filmless if your budget allows

Also pvs 14 kits cost as much or less then pvs 7 kits

Last pvs 7 kit I bought was $550
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure it's complete PVS7 minus the tube. If not I'm building one ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
$550 for a kit is good, I’ve seen tubes for $350 recently.

All the kits I’ve seen are $800 or more
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#6]
If you build a good -7 I think a year from now you're gonna be wishing you built a -14.  There are as many reasons for doing this stuff as guys using them, but in general, the monocular -14 is better suited to most of our uses.  It's not the all-seeing eye of mordor; even the best gen III tubes won't magically allow you to see everything.  The best set up is to have one aided eye, and one unaided.  That way you are more aware of your surroundings, and also have some augmented vision.  It's easy to get sucked into the image in the tube and not be aware of your surroundings.  This may be as simple as walking into trees, stumbling on rocks, etc. or not realizing you are back lit and visible to others.

I'm not sure why guys build -7's, unless you really need to save that littler bit, or just want the retro look for whatever.  The only real savings is buying a used device, which is chancy if you don't know what you're looking at.  A good used -14 will be in the same price range as your -7  (or even -14) builds.  But again, you need to know what you're doing.  A -14 build kit will be around 2K, depending on tube.  In fact, I think the housings and tubes for -14's are basically the same price as the -7's, especially since a lot of guys upgrade to a gen III tube.

So again it's a matter of which format works better for you.  If you plan on being mostly stationary, star-gazing, etc. then the -7's will work.  But if you plan on moving around with them, as in hunting or patrolling, then the -14's shine.  

Yeah , I know, someone is gonna say, but Diz, I've been watching the new Seal Team show and those dudes all have the new binos, so isn't that format better?  Well, for them, sure.  They have the latest tech in there which is a far cry from the -7's, and they have a whole team to cover multiple angles.  So unless you are sporting the latest hardware, and running with a whole team, you are better off with a monocular NVD.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag for interest
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#8]
It will certainly be better than a gen 1, but having used both a -14 and a -7 and having taken the nighfighter 1 course, it's worth your while to spend the time and effort saving for and building or buying the monocular. The PVS-7 has all of the downsides and none of the upsides, and some of those downsides are really significant.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, yeah this is true but it's not clear what the OP's intended purpose is.   I agree wholeheartedly that for tactical work, the -14's shine.  Not quite sure why you would want to stick both eyes through one tube.  Yes it was state of the art, at one time, and yes if one fell into your lap you would use it, BUT, at this point in time, most folks would agree that a good set of -14's are the best choice between capability and cost.  

If I could get a good set of BNVD's would I use them?  Of course, but that's a far cry from an old -7.  They are much lighter and more compact.  With a batt pack on the back, you really have a nice system going.  This set up is far and away different from -7's.

I too have attended a couple of night vision courses, including night live fire, and everyone was using -14's.  You really needed that other eye to keep on line with your mates, when doing live fire and maneuver, to keep from bumping into trees n shit, and just in general to keep from falling on your ass.  Getting on line and assaulting through an objective, in the woods, at night, would have been impossible with -7's.  You would have had to flip up and go no (or white) light, which was basically the old T,T,P.

Now with the newer BNVD's, it could be done, especially with some off-set and Wilcox filters; but with the -7 and an eye cup, not so much.  (OK, you could roll the eye cups back on the -7's, but it still wouldn't perform the same.)
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Where's the best place to get a pvs 7 kit?  

I got a smoking deal on an omni vii tube.  Now I need the rest.

Also, do I absolutely need the collimating device or does that just make it easier?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Now with the newer BNVD's, it could be done, especially with some off-set and Wilcox filters; but with the -7 and an eye cup, not so much.  (OK, you could roll the eye cups back on the -7's, but it still wouldn't perform the same.)
View Quote
Removing the eye cups all together is even better

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Removing the eye cups all together is even better

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/327879/image-339031.JPG
View Quote
Full disclosure I never used my 7’s on a two way range so I wasn’t as worried about the Tactical aspect of it but it’s still always in my mind.

While nit ideal, removing the cups allows you to gauge the lighting around you and tilt your head back if you need to use get an unaided eye on your day sight.

Again, not as good as a monocle but it was ok. I loved my 7’s. I had no problems navigating. Granted my AO is mostly flat and not a lot of trees. Maybe that’s why?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I could get a good set of BNVD's would I use them?  Of course, but that's a far cry from an old -7.  They are much lighter and more compact.  With a batt pack on the back, you really have a nice system going.  This set up is far and away different from -7's.
View Quote
Actually I'm gonna disagree here. Almost all BNVD's are heavier than the 7's and only marginally more compact (a few inches). And with BNVD's like PVS-15s you don't have the option of a batt pack on the back. Would I use my PVS-15's before a  PVS-7? Sure, you get the Bino vision, and the image is a few inches closer to your normal eye (which helps on really up close tasks) and you have redundancy in terms of tubes. But are they a billion times better? Not really. Waaay back in the day no one thought going from a BNVD PVS-5 to a PVS-7 style system was that big of a loss. And FWIW there were mono systems around waaay back then too. TTP's change and evolve based on the system you are using, thats about it some have pros in one area, others have pro's in another.

Also, some folks have legitimate issues with using a single MNVD, i.e. headaches and so forth, so for them a PVS-7 or better yet a LUCIE is a way better choice.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:30:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Actually I'm gonna disagree here. Almost all BNVD's are heavier than the 7's and only marginally more compact (a few inches). And with BNVD's like PVS-15s you don't have the option of a batt pack on the back. Would I use my PVS-15's before a  PVS-7? Sure, you get the Bino vision, and the image is a few inches closer to your normal eye (which helps on really up close tasks) and you have redundancy in terms of tubes. But are they a billion times better? Not really. Waaay back in the day no one thought going from a BNVD PVS-5 to a PVS-7 style system was that big of a loss. And FWIW there were mono systems around waaay back then too. TTP's change and evolve based on the system you are using, thats about it some have pros in one area, others have pro's in another.

Also, some folks have legitimate issues with using a single MNVD, i.e. headaches and so forth, so for them a PVS-7 or better yet a LUCIE is a way better choice.
View Quote
LUCIE?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:44:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LUCIE?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LUCIE?
On left, something like a 55 degree FOV vs 40 for PVS7

Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am tired of spending way too much money on gen 1 goggles/monoculors. I have bought about 8 different kinds of gen 1s and a few of them were actually well made. It just sucked always having to focus the objective lense and if you wanted to be covert you couldnt use the on board IR light which with gen 1 u always need some IR light. I used a princeton tec helmet light instead often or a handheld IR light so thst red dot wouldnt be a neon sign saying shoot me here rigjt in my head.

I would imagine that this topic has been talked about a lot so I apologize if it has been brought up and I'm doing it again but I really need some fresh ideas. I'm looking to build a generation 3 PVS 7. I know very very little about what is a good price and what is a good lens and what makes a good lens good. I found a complete PVS 7 bodies brand new for $700 which seems like it might be a decent price but again I don't really know so that's why I'm here posting. I also found a generation 3 Itt tube for $500 that was also brand new which seemed to be a fair price but I realize that there are quite a few different models that do different things and may not be what I want for the particular set up I'm looking at.

So basically what I'm asking from you guys is if you could tell me what a decent price is to spend on a empty the body of a PVS 7 and what model of Generation 3 tube I should be looking for and at about what price would be considered Fair and any other things that you can tell me that I should be looking out for. I really would appreciate the help guys cuz I've been looking around like crazy and I'm just kind of lost. Thanks in advance for the help
View Quote

If you really want good pvs7s gen 3 autogated, ill sell you mine, i bought them 2 weeks ago.. they are less than a year old and have 40 hours at most one them....the one thing ill tell you if you have gen1 experience... the only thing the pvs 7s are lacking is manual gain.. gen 3 without illuminator are almlst too bright  close range and a bright night..
I just ordered 2 pvs 14s WP.. i only want to sell the pvs7 so i can buy a shit pvs14 for weapons mounting
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:11:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Ahhhhh.  Interesting. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m one of those guys.  Optical devices  are very personal, (withinLimits) because of the unique  way everybody’s brain processes optical information.   If you can you should try them out in person.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, I did not realize there is so much love for the -7's out there.  Then again this is arfcom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top