BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you guys talking about storing your spare NVGs, or your primary?  Mine stays on my helmet.  I consider the need to use it fairly quickly to be higher than the need to use it post-EMP.
View Quote
Ive got an old crappy one i was thinking of packing up...but, sounds like its not a problem worth considering.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you have enough EMP to knock out your NVDs, you have an entirely larger set of problems to worry about.

Your vehicle isnt moving.
Your electricity isnt working
Civilization as we know it has been knocked back 200 years

While its an interesting thought discussion the practicality of protecting your NVDs from EMP is grossly overshadowed by the fact your way of life has ended.
View Quote
This guy gets it... There is a long, long, long list of shit that is gonna fry long before you hit line 9999 "Prepper dudes NVGs..."
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you guys talking about storing your spare NVGs, or your primary?  Mine stays on my helmet.  I consider the need to use it fairly quickly to be higher than the need to use it post-EMP.
View Quote
While I generally think EMP is a non issue I do keep mine locked up, they are worth money after all. That being said, I can't imagine a realistic scenario where taking a few extra seconds to pull one out from a secure place like a safe (where your guns are) and snap on into a helmet mount. Especially a post EMP scenario where you will have time to get organized.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ive got an old crappy one i was thinking of packing up...but, sounds like its not a problem worth considering.
View Quote
Not really, there are better/legit reasons like theft/fire/water etc though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm poor and only have one.
View Quote
You need to get on the Arfmillonaire progam bro, PM me so I can send you the starter packet for only 999.99...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well EMP pretty much kills anything with some for of electricity contact. Pull all batteries and discharge the capacitors and you should be good. If in doubt put the electronics in a Friday Cage or Stucco House. That chicken wire is a Friday Cage.
View Quote
Seriously, dude.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:29:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not really, there are better/legit reasons like theft/fire/water etc though.
View Quote
Whether or not I agree with the preppers though, if they have legitimate questions about technology, I still try to answer their questions with reasonable answers. Just because they are not my fears, does not mean that I don't respect the fears of others.

Fire is a great reason to have something in a safe though, you are correct. At least, assuming it's a fireproof safe. I doubt the housings would hold up to a housefire, but the tubes might survive.

Still, technology is kind of fragile. I've been working with technology for years, and it's difficult to predict. Older stuff was more capable of dealing with EMI, but not electric sparks. Newer stuff seems great with sparks, but less capable of dealing with EMI. There's an emerging series of countermeasure systems that doesn't use EMPs but can stop drones and most vehicles in their tracks from a distance, and it can usually get through shielding too. At a distance as well, and it doesn't have anywhere near the power of an EMP - not even within a couple of order of magnitude.

That company is E2V BTW... They have some cool radio guns, but it's pretty big and weighs 350kg. Still, I wonder how night vision would be affected by such a beam as a countermeasure, since the principle is the same.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/issues/october-digital-edition-2/radio-beam-device-can-disable-car-and-boat-engines-from-50m/

Some modern electronics have been hardened. Other parts are more susceptible than before. I doubt they've even checked off the components in most tube PSUs, or even tested them against modern countermeasures yet for that matter.

I'm not trying to disagree with anything you've said - I think the level of research you've already done is pretty amazing and you've pulled me along for the ride.  I'm just not that confident that generic non-shielded tubes wouldn't be affected by low-level EMP.  

David. 
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, we've gone from the physical aspects of actually protecting NV's from EMP, to the likelihood of an EMP event actually happening in the first place.  

So, if you think it's a good idea, just on the face of it, to store your NV in something that protects it from bad things, including EMP, then there you go.

If you think the threat of an EMP strike is great enough to worry about, take precautions.  

I think in the final analysis, each person must make his own determination about what threats he faces (Estimate of the Situation), what COA (course of action) to take, and what training and equipment (METL: Mission Essential Task List)) is necessary to carry this out.  

There was much interesting info presented here.  If you would like to know more, I'd suggest contacting Lowdown for more info.  He is one of the most knowledgeable guys that I know of, that actually practices what he preaches.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#13]
EMPs are not like Hollywood or disaster novels. I would not worry about it to much.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes and no. One way of thinking would be that the possibility of violence happening at night has now grossly gone up (after SHTF). Hence if you were the only one with working NV you would definitely have an advantage- training and all other aspects being similar. If there was a list of 5 items that I would want protected in that scenario, the 14s would be on that list.

So while yes the electronic dominated "way of life" will largely end for most, it does not mean you have to be defenseless at night.
View Quote
No doubt it would be useful, but lets say as a point of discussion this is our last post. BANG. EMP hits.

First and foremost, what are you doing tonight? You might be running around like GI Joe Cool, or you might be sitting in a dark house wondering how the hell you make dinner, and how you are going to get water let alone make it boil.

The message is if the OP has an off the grid source of water and 2 weeks to a month of stored food sure it becomes a reasonable discussion. But if your idea of prepping for SHTF is 5 cases of ammo, 10 guns, 200 mags and some NVDs and you are still doing "the weekend grocery shopping" to go from an empty fridge to full fridge then the discussion is nothing more than boy fantasies. 

My goal here is not to be rude here, but sometimes to make a point you need to be blunt. If a widespread EMP hits you better have a very secure way to grow your own food, because things have gotten very very bad. Truth be told, I would trade NVDs for a fertile, productive garden plot 9 times out of 10 in a SHTF event. Why? I can still use a $5 maglite to see in the dark. All the NVD in the world doesnt fill an empty stomach.

As the saying goes....You cant eat lead. Well, you can, but only once 

So lets talk priorities. NVD, as useful as they are, should be way down on the list as food, water, shelter etc etc etc is prioritized above that. Unless your entire plan is to go rogue and steal from others. In which case I wont give you any help or advice anyways. 
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No doubt it would be useful, but lets say as a point of discussion this is our last post. BANG. EMP hits.

First and foremost, what are you doing tonight? You might be running around like GI Joe Cool, or you might be sitting in a dark house wondering how the hell you make dinner, and how you are going to get water let alone make it boil.

The message is if the OP has an off the grid source of water and 2 weeks to a month of stored food sure it becomes a reasonable discussion. But if your idea of prepping for SHTF is 5 cases of ammo, 10 guns, 200 mags and some NVDs and you are still doing "the weekend grocery shopping" to go from an empty fridge to full fridge then the discussion is nothing more than boy fantasies. 

My goal here is not to be rude here, but sometimes to make a point you need to be blunt. If a widespread EMP hits you better have a very secure way to grow your own food, because things have gotten very very bad. Truth be told, I would trade NVDs for a fertile, productive garden plot 9 times out of 10 in a SHTF event. Why? I can still use a $5 maglite to see in the dark. All the NVD in the world doesnt fill an empty stomach.

So lets talk priorities. NVD, as useful as they are, should be way down on the list as food, water, shelter etc etc etc is prioritized above that. Unless your entire plan is to go rogue and steal from others. In which case I wont give you any help or advice anyways. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and no. One way of thinking would be that the possibility of violence happening at night has now grossly gone up (after SHTF). Hence if you were the only one with working NV you would definitely have an advantage- training and all other aspects being similar. If there was a list of 5 items that I would want protected in that scenario, the 14s would be on that list.

So while yes the electronic dominated "way of life" will largely end for most, it does not mean you have to be defenseless at night.

OP here....i'm a dad, so it is my job to worry about stuff.

1 year food
2 rain barrels
2 clean 55 gal water barrels
20 cases of water always, rotate it
All sorts of filters and purification devices including Katadyn expedition and big Berkeys
Live near a river
30 gal gas
2 propane tanks
Honda geni
Wood stove, firewood, axes, saws
Propane stove
Electric hotplate
Lots of paper products
Etc, etc, etc

One small solar project going, 150w kyocera panel, charge controller, battery...still working and learning.

We are good for a while and If thing got crazy I would recruit neighbors and fellow dads and block off the street and be hyper paranoid.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Well then....That'll do donkey, that'll do. Carry on. 
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Anything you want to survive an EMP, just put inside a metal trash can or metal bin.  That will prevent anything inside from getting fried out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anything you want to survive an EMP, just put inside a metal trash can or metal bin.  That will prevent anything inside from getting fried out.
View Quote
Just until the North Korea thing is sorted out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:36:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

On the garden plot- yep productive land is essential, but if you can't control it, it ain't really yours. Hence the BALANCE. I realize most are way too far to one extreme- all guns no food or all hippy like growing gardens but no weapons, training, etc. The reality is that some of us that have been doing this 30 years do strive for balance :)
View Quote
This is a really insightful position. Very few people could sustain themselves in any kind of emergency in which help wasn't going to arrive ( eg, post-EMP societal collapse ) and a lot of people in the US are armed and either plan or would be prepared to seize critical resources by force and it's not even considered morally wrong to do so in such circumstances.

David.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Lowdown is giving you but a brief glimpse of his experience, set up, and knowledge.  There are very few people with the depth of his experience around.  He is also very big on persec/opsec so he doesn't always gob on about it on line.  Short of being nuked, he could probably give you the low down on anything related to prepping, as we call it today.  

Balance.  Yeah there's a concept for ya.  Very few attain it.  He's probably one of three that I know of.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top