Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2017 8:16:12 PM EDT
Alright, lets say you want a thermal (first purchased) and you can get away with spending $2200 or less.  Thats my situation and I'm doing some research.  I will use it on my ar15 and scar17.  I don't predator or hog hunt right now and likely won't ever enough to justify more than my budget (a few times/year).  I just want a thermal scope I can play around with as a monocular as well as mount on my gun to hunt at less than 300yd.  I've narrowed down to FLIR PTS233, Pulsar core RXQ30, Predator 336 2-8x25 60hz (on sale).  Im confident other people asking the same thing and also understand there may not be a simple answer as to what the best value is.  I don't want the cheapest, I just want the best value in my price range.  From what I can tell the answer to my question changes with time due to new technology as well as old tech going on sale.  I see the FLIR may take some time to get and if it's the best I don't mind waiting.  I've read all the reviews of each scope but want to know if this was your budget, what would you buy?

I'm a new member and hopefully I'm not breaking any posting rules I just don't know enough about the technology and don't have anywhere to go test out each unit.  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you're in the right place! Welcome to the forum! I know exactly jack about thermal, but I'm soon to be in the market similar to your budget. In for some useful advice.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#2]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey ranger1202! Welcome to arfcom! You're on the right track. If I were to buy a thermal for use as a handheld and a weapon sight, I personally would choose the Pulsar Core RXQ30V. It works well as both. It's the only one that you mentioned that I would want to use as a handheld. I realize it doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the others but all those features add weight and size. From what you described, you probably don't need and wouldn't use all the bells and whistles anyway. Hope this helps. I'm a big fan of all the Pulsar Thermals.
View Quote
Tom, thanks for the response.  I started looking a few months ago and the pulsar core rxq30v was the one I had decided on until I saw the deeply discounted predator 336 and then the new PTS233.  What held me up was not wanting to be behind the technology curve if 12 micron was that much better and the new standard and could be had for 400 or so more dollars.  You're right, I definitely don't need and wouldn't use all the bells and whistles.  I'm looking for the best image quality I can get for my money. I know you know your stuff and really appreciate your expertise.  I'll definitely be purchasing from your company.

I think what hurts the rxq30v is the lack of video out.  Not because I need it, but because the video reviews online are shot from behind the scope and understandably can't be the quality you actually see through the scope.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  For example, the pulsar trail xq30 is around $900 more and the image quality appears significantly better online than the core rxq30v.  Would you say the image quality of the rxq30v is closer to the trail xq30 than it appears online?  

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the sightmark photon for shooting and pulsar ld19 for scanning with thermal. 
My hunting partner just got the pulsar rxq30v and it’s great.

If i had it to do over I’d start with the pulsar RXQ30v (as mentioned) and skip all the other trial and error. I’m actually thinking about selling my stuff and going that route anyways, but trying to decide if it’s worth taking the loss at this point. 
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  Would you say the image quality of the rxq30v is closer to the trail xq30 than it appears online?    
View Quote
Unquestionably.  Get the RXQ30V.  I've killed a pile of critters with it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:19:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Alright, lets say you want a thermal (first purchased) and you can get away with spending $2200 or less.  Thats my situation and I'm doing some research.  I will use it on my ar15 and scar17.  I don't predator or hog hunt right now and likely won't ever enough to justify more than my budget (a few times/year).  I just want a thermal scope I can play around with as a monocular as well as mount on my gun to hunt at less than 300yd.  I've narrowed down to FLIR PTS233, Pulsar core RXQ30, Predator 336 2-8x25 60hz (on sale).  Im confident other people asking the same thing and also understand there may not be a simple answer as to what the best value is.  I don't want the cheapest, I just want the best value in my price range.  From what I can tell the answer to my question changes with time due to new technology as well as old tech going on sale.  I see the FLIR may take some time to get and if it's the best I don't mind waiting.  I've read all the reviews of each scope but want to know if this was your budget, what would you buy?

I'm a new member and hopefully I'm not breaking any posting rules I just don't know enough about the technology and don't have anywhere to go test out each unit.  

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
These folks rent gear for evaluation purposes.

ETA: I see Tyler has already posted in the thread. 
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you can bump your budget to $2,500 check out the APEX XQ38 it will smoke an RXQ30V and has many more of the features that most hunters end up wanting like video out, external power, manual focus, black hot/white hot, and a few others. I would wait and save the extra $300 if at all possible you won't regret it. 
View Quote
1) The XQ38 is $835 more than the RXQ30V, by the time you add the scope ($2499), the recorder ($200), and the cable that should already come with the recorder ($35).  
2) The RXQ30V has external power.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#12]
OST. I'm getting into the NV/Thermal market as well and know absolutely nothing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We include the MDVR and cable(or a DLOC-PTM) for free with the APEX XQ38 
The DLOC-PTM makes the unit smaller and lighter. This is what makes it easier to use as a monocular and take it on and off a rifle while maintaining your zero. After having hunted extensively with both I would say the XQ38 is most definitely worth the upgrade IF your budget allows. If not, then the RXQ30V is the only option. Just my $.02 
View Quote
I am a simple caveman, and my knowledge of facts is limited to what a retailer posts on their website.  Your website says nothing about a free DVR.  Since you have stated the DLOC-PTM is what makes it easier to use the XQ38 as a monocular, the OP would still need to purchase the DVR and cable.  

The XQ38 is great, especially if the user needs a LRF.  However, the RXQ30V works just fine with the included mount, which I have used on 3 different guns with 100% return-to-zero repeatability.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Gotta ask with the name- are you a grappler?
View Quote
LOL ... of sorts. I'm a martial artist and practice BJJ among other things.

The name comes from the mythical snake dragon that is revered in Thailand, where I was born.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#17]
The Apex XQ38 system seems like a great deal for the money
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Bought the Pulsar Core RXQ30V a few weeks back. I’ve taken it hog hunting several times now. In short, for the money, it’s amazing. The video quality is far superior than the review videos online would have you believe.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a RXQ30V and every video clip posted of it in action does this sight a huge disservice.   The image is very crisp and clear.  I previously owned a Apex xd38a and I think the image on the CORE is even better.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I just cant get over the green. From the online videos I see I much prefer the grey scale. That feels more natural to me. 
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#23]
My hog hammer!

I wasn't crazy about the green display either until I used it and frankly there really isn't anything negative about it, in fact it probably is a little easier on my eyes than the other thermals I used.  I don't care for the mount but I do have the new smaller single point attachment mount on order from Pulsar.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#25]
What did they charge for the single point mount?  I've been unable to find it on their website..

Quoted:
My hog hammer!

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p475/96vettex/20171024_073556_zpszzclqo74.jpg  

I wasn't crazy about the green display either until I used it and frankly there really isn't anything negative about it, in fact it probably is a little easier on my eyes than the other thermals I used.  I don't care for the mount but I do have the new smaller single point attachment mount on order from Pulsar.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What did they charge for the single point mount?  I've been unable to find it on their website..
View Quote
PL34000
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top