Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2017 3:47:41 PM EDT
Looking for some feed back on this unit. I am looking for a ir laser for my coyote rig that won't break the bank. I was hoping for some first hand experience on how they hold zero and there durability. I will be using this in conjunction with a pvs 7 gen 3.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Works great on my 22lr sbr. 
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got one on a 5.56, works great and holds zero so far. Only have a couple night shooting sessions so far but it's held zero after removing and reinstalling. I've shot several hundred rounds in the day with it on there and it's good to go.

Pros: price, simplicity, size, weight

Cons: offset on both axes makes it hard to use past 200 yards, no external fire button-limited to tape switch or just flipping on and off, have to zero at dusk or dark conditions.

Really all the cons are pretty subjective and use dependent so as long as you realize it's a basic unit with limited options you'll be really happy, I think. Simple is good, in my book. I don't think there's a less expensive option for a good reliable IR laser. Class one is easily visible at 500 yards on a target, much farther than you could realistically engage with head mounted nod and weapon mounted laser.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
They work exceptionally well and holds zero fine. IMHO a OTAL C paired with a Surefire M952V/ 622V with a tape switch for the light 12:00, tape switch for the OTAL at 1:00 using a "C" clamp grip is a better option vs an APTIAL-C because of its anemic illuminator. Zeroing is extremely easy if your using a red dot sight. At night using your nods overlap your IR laser to your dot at the furthest distance possible. Your now zeroed and your hold overs are the same.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I use an ital on my coyote rigs along with a pvs-7. No better way to deal with those coyotes that come charging in close...point and click
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]
OTAL is GTG. Go over to B&H Photo. They are a very reputable outfit that I have ordered high end photography gear from for many years. I bought an OTAL from them a month ago and they offered to email me a special price. Got it for $329 shipped.

B&H Photo OTAL-C IR
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks I will check them out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Been using an OTAL-C IR for just about a year now.  Ive killed several pigs and coyotes with it.  I set it once and it has not lost zero on my "hard use" hunting gun that often gets banged around.  I recommend them to anyone looking for an entry level IR laser.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I got one from B&H for 339.00 shipped . Now I just have to find a ir light. Thinking about a surefire m951.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got one from B&H for 339.00 shipped . Now I just have to find a ir light. Thinking about a surefire m951.
View Quote
If it were me I’d make sure I got the new head. The 350 lumen version vs the 150.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
You want a "M952V" not a M951. The M951 is not LED based, lower white light output and IR light is accomplished by a IR filter which is a very low out put also. The 952V doses both IR and white light with a twist of the bezel. As the other poster mentioned you want the 350 lumen white light version.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You want a "M952V" not a M951. The M951 is not LED based, lower white light output and IR light is accomplished by a IR filter which is a very low out put also. The 952V doses both IR and white light with a twist of the bezel. As the other poster mentioned you want the 350 lumen white light version.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My new Surefire AA Vampire Scout has so much red glow that it would likely spook coyotes from a good distance. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My new Surefire AA Vampire Scout has so much red glow that it would likely spook coyotes from a good distance. Just sayin.
View Quote
I'm going to compare my M622V to a M952V and see if there is any difference in the red glow.

Edit: I did a comparison of the 2 and a V1 and the glow all look the same.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the original OTAL and it is still going strong.  Quite frankly, I think it is an excellent choice for an IR laser, because most hunters need a better IR illum than a lot of higher priced units with onboard illum.  So really the only thing you're giving away is the lack of activation button, but if you have external illum, you need to activate two things any way, so no big deal.  

Another way of setting it up is to use a clicky cap on the illum, at 9 or 10 o' clock, with the tape switch for the IR laser right behind it.  That way it is a quick motion to turn IR light on, and then activate IR laser, with a short movement of the thumb.  Not quite as good as slaved, but pretty good.  

Then another way would be to add in a TAPS Pro switch, which would then allow you to actually slave the two together, like the higher priced units.  For a hunter, this would be the optimum set up.  You could set one button up as IR illum only, for scanning at longer distances, and the other for both, for taking the shot closer in.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#14]
With the TAPS Pro being 245.00 and the OTAL-C 339.00 total 584.00 you'd be better off buying a DBAL I2 9007 IR/IR from B&H 679.00. For the extra 95.00 you get a illuminator an on board fire button, and tape switch, then you can mount your DBAL/M952V tape switch so you can activate them with one hand. With this setup you end up with 2 DBAL (1 onboard/1 tape) and 2 flashlight (1 tape/1 tail cap) activation points.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
With the TAPS Pro being 245.00 and the OTAL-C 339.00 total 584.00 you'd be better off buying a DBAL I2 9007 IR/IR from B&H 679.00. For the extra 95.00 you get a illuminator an on board fire button, and tape switch, then you can mount the 2 tape switch so you can activate them with one hand. Basically you end up with 2 DBAL and 2 flashlight activation points.
View Quote
Folks (in the know) question the reliability of the I2, but I certainly see your point. My OTAL is mounted at 12 o'clock and I run a Surefire Vampire Scout on a Haley Thorntail mount. I put the pressure switch for the laser on the left side of the laser body. This works very well because the thumb clicks on the light and then flicks almost immediately to the laser switch. Transitions to white light with the Surefire take time to twist the front head, that is the main issue in a tactical sense. For hunting, not so much.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Folks (in the know) question the reliability of the I2, but I certainly see your point. My OTAL is mounted at 12 o'clock and I run a Surefire Vampire Scout on a Haley Thorntail mount. I put the pressure switch for the laser on the left side of the laser body. This works very well because the thumb clicks on the light and then flicks almost immediately to the laser switch. Transitions to white light with the Surefire take time to twist the front head, that is the main issue in a tactical sense. For hunting, not so much.
View Quote
I couldn't agree more. Every option will have a con and no one system will be perfect whether it be cost, weight, size, durability etc. My personal SOP include checking zero, function, mounting, condition, etc which is something everyone should do on a predetermined basis and/or before every use.
I think a lot of people started to doubt their I2 when John Lovell came out with a video on an ATPIAL-C vs a D2 where he mentioned he seen a lot of failures of the I2 loosing zero. I also made a post asking if anyone had a first hand problems and it seemed a few had problems with the A3 having power problems. Although it was a very very small group being asked it seemed most didn't have a problem. I ended up buying a used I2 9007, but then sold it not that I wasn't happy with it, but I sold it made a little bit of money, I felt the OTAL-C filled most of my needs and I was stuck in a fantasy that I was going to buy a MAWL C1+ in the very near future. Needless to say the wife squashed the slightest glimmer of hope of that ever happening.

When going through the airport body scanner and a TSA agent ask me "Sir are you sure your pockets are empty" My favorite response is "My pockets have been empty since the day I got married"
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I knew someone was going to bring up price point, of the OTAL/TAPS Pro package, but I still think this is an excellent option because apples to apples, you would need a TAPS switch on ANY IR laser to have the same capabilities.  I would rather have the OTAL and the TAPS Pro versus a higher priced Laser/illum with just std tape switches.  So really I think you need to add the 240 to any pkg set up.  

But hey, lots of ways to do this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an Otal and it is old.  Plenty of rounds down range.  No issues at all, but I was unaware Steiner made them.  Did they buy out a company that makes them? 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Keep this type of stuff in GD......<coctailer>
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#21]
That was a good one! LOL

Edit to add: In response to FullAutoHound's comment..
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Rut Roh. This one just went south.

To get back on track, here's a shot of my switching setup. It has drawbacks (not so weak hand friendly) but is relatively inexpensive and works great 99% of the time. A side benefit of locating the pressure switch on the laser housing is that the whole unit, switch and all, comes off in one piece.

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#24]
ETA: @FullAutoHound

Knock it off. This is a tech forum. In case you missed it, that garbage is supposed to stay in GD.

I'm potentially in the market for an OTAL myself, so I'd like this conversation to continue amongst those who actually have worthwhile information to share.

Please and thank you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Damn, that B&H price is a go. I was leaning towards a Holosun IR laser ($260) but a Steiner for about 70 bucks more is a no brainer I think. Although to be fair there is a part of me that wants to try the Holosun just because......

Hows the return to zero on the Steiner? Isnt that a QD mount?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:37:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Damn, that B&H price is a go. I was leaning towards a Holosun IR laser ($260) but a Steiner for about 70 bucks more is a no brainer I think. Although to be fair there is a part of me that wants to try the Holosun just because......

View Quote
Their current QD mount returns to zero reliably.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, B&H is awesome. At $329 shipped ( old price) it was an obvious choice.

The OTAL RTZ is fine if mated to a quality rail. The mount is very high end.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#29]
So for a broke guy with a NOD who needs a IR laser is this a deal? What else would I need? I see prices on tape switches do I need those? I already have a 952V and Surefire tape switch.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#30]
OTAL comes with a pressure switch.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#31]
What kind range do you get out of the scout vampire?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What kind range do you get out of the scout vampire?
View Quote
Really haven't checked the max range, but it is very bright (100mw). The output reminds me of my SuperTac IR. I can light stuff out to around 300 yards with the SuperTac. I wish the Surefire had a low output setting. My main issue though, is the red glow of the emitter and I am working on a way to mitigate that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I had one for three years and it is fucking amazing.  Well worth $300.

As for an IR light, getting one that is focus able is really your best bet.  I had a Vampire for a few years but sold it because it didn't throw far enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I have an ITAL on one of my simpler carbine setups, and I love it. Haven't taken it to a class yet, but it's been reliable in the hunting field, and it's certainly powerful enough for my purposes. That said, the IR laser-based illuminator on my DBAL I2 IR/IR that lives on my HD rifle was well worth the extrra cheese.

Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Does anyone even make an ital anymore?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Does anyone even make an ital anymore?
View Quote
Not to my knowledge, but the construction is pretty much equivalent to an otal.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I have 2 itals. One was fixed a couple months ago direct from Steiner. They are really good.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have 2 itals. One was fixed a couple months ago direct from Steiner. They are really good.
View Quote
That doesnt help me. 

Good news is it looks like Streamlight actually makes a ITAL. I've been on my soap box about IR pricing so I'll stay off this go around, but the unit should be pretty solid given its a Streamlight.

Streamlight TLR-2 IR

Ok, foot on soapbox....Nevermind a TLR-2 is $275ish while the same damn thing in IR variant is north of 4.....

Anyways I'll definitely be picking one of these up since not only do I want an ITAL for my rifle but I would like  an IR laser for a pistol. So even if this doesnt work out on a rifle it should be perfect on the Glock. Now to find a holster.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That doesnt help me. 

Good news is it looks like Streamlight actually makes a ITAL. I've been on my soap box about IR pricing so I'll stay off this go around, but the unit should be pretty solid given its a Streamlight.

Streamlight TLR-2 IR

Ok, foot on soapbox....Nevermind a TLR-2 is $275ish while the same damn thing in IR variant is north of 4.....

Anyways I'll definitely be picking one of these up since not only do I want an ITAL for my rifle but I would like  an IR laser for a pistol. So even if this doesnt work out on a rifle it should be perfect on the Glock. Now to find a holster.
View Quote
Streamlight makes good stuff, but the TLR-2IR really isn't in the same league. It isn't fully sealed (IPX4) and uses very small allen type friction adjustments.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That doesnt help me. 

Streamlight TLR-2 IR

View Quote
PM'd you info for a custom holster maker for almost any combination gun/light/laser.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

PM'd you info for a custom holster maker for almost any combination gun/light/laser.
View Quote
I saw that, thanks man I appreciate it! I figure I'm ....3 months out on that? But definitely good to have that info! 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top