Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2017 9:50:03 AM EDT
After reading some of the various current (and archived) threads here, I would like to echo the suggestion to update the sticky info to include the new Gen II+ stuff, so a fair comparison can be made between the current Gen III offerings out there and the newer Gen II+ stuff we see coming out.  Specifically, the NGI stuff, and the Itens Photonis stuff.  There is much good info in these threads that needs to be gathered into one place in the stickies.  I think this would alleviate a lot of the confusion and noise out there.  

Specifically, I liked Hawk's FOM comparison chart that pretty much lays it ALL out, beyond Gen or Omni ratings.  When you add in his life expectancy chart, you have two excellent tools to guide your buying decision.  For example, you can buy a PVS14 with a FOM of 900 with a tube life of 2,000 hrs (a foreign Gen II+), versus a PVS14 with a FOM of 1600 and tube life of 10,000 hrs (a Gen III light film AG).  Really puts it into perspective.

And buying new versus used.  Having a warranty versus riding bare back.    

And end use.  What does a night hunter, in a rural setting, really need?  What does an armed civilian, in an urban setting really need?  If you can quantify "typical" use in these settings.  

I think this would give you more analytical tools to determine just what your needs are, and what offerings are out there that fit these needs.

Not to re-invent the wheel, merely update it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Could you link the FOM comparison chart? I don't think I've seen it and cannot find it with the search feature.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top