Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2017 1:35:17 PM EDT
I am looking for a thermal to use solely when I backpack in remote areas. The areas I go are wooded and the only open areas would be around ponds. So, most of its use will be within a forest, not out in open land, and expect game to be within 200 yds, max.

My purpose of the thermal is for general scouting/scanning to see what is active in the woods where I backpack. I'm not interested in detecting a rabbit but do want to know what larger game might be around or traveling through.

No dealer is near me so I won't have an opportunity to see a unit before I buy. I've been considering Pulsar Helion XQ30F and FLIR II 640.

My two concerns are:

1) Is the 12 degree FOV of the XQ30F too narrow for scanning.  

2) The image quality of the FLIR 640. YT videos haven't impressed me.

The Helion would provide recording capability and easy transfer either by Wifi or USB. Recording would be possible with FLIR if I got a mini-DVR package. The recording issue is not a deal breaker one way or the other.

I've never owned nor used thermals so I have no benchmark by which to make a decision. Any guidance regarding these two or recommendations of other units would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Is a Helion XP 28 a possibility for you? I have a 38 and it's fantastic. The image quality is incredible, the features all work as advertised and the company is very responsive.

From what you describe it would serve your needs very well.

-Stooxie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top