Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2017 11:29:00 AM EDT
"AND THE NO.1 THING A HOG HUNTER DOESNT WANT TO find after shooting at a hog?"   A DEAD COW!

In light of the woman shooting another Hunter with her ATN optic, I thought I would post this here.  Read it.  We didnt shoot the cow, but We found it while hunting and could hace been held responsible

We found one.    It had been dead for a day.   It was bloated, stiff, starting to smell of decay.  The buzzards had started on it.  It had a bullet hole in its stomach.    I took pictures and texted them to the landowner.  I obviously did not want to get blamed in any way for killing someone's cow.  

Even if you know that you did not shoot it, when you walk up and find a dead cow in the thermal and the I2, it certainly creates moments of self-doubt and a review of everything you just did and identified as a target.

In this case, some shooters had been using the range the day before. Apparently one of them managed to miss the berm. Either by shooting over it, or under and skipping around over the berm.  Or maybe the cows where on the Range and they thought they were shooting around them. We do not know.  

The fact is, it does not matter. Someone shooting on the Range did not or was not aware of where their bullets were going.

As a shooter, we are responsible for ensuring that our projectiles do not leave the range. When hunting, we are charged with the responsibility of ensuring that the area behind the Target animal is clear of friendly animals.

Too many times I see people shooting over water and skipping rounds off of the water not realizing that they are landing Somewhere over the berm and out of the range property. I've also seen people shoot over the berm.

As a Hog Hunter, I often hunt in mixed environments. I am always finding deer with the Hogs. I often I'm hunting in areas that have cattle and caps mixed in with the Hogs and the deer. It is very easy to get focused on the pegs and not adequately assess the environment that is down range of the pigs. If a projectile fully penetrates the pig it will be going somewhere. You certainly do not want it to go into a cow or deer behind the pig.

Target identification is also a problem. Hogs, deer and cows that are laying down or feeding with thier heads down, often look a lot alike when you first see them in the night vision or thermal units.  We are legally responsible for knowing what are Target's are and probably identifying them.

Legally, we are responsible for the damage of those projectiles do. We as the shooting Community must keep that in mind while we are practicing our Sport and exercising our 2nd Amendment rights.

Let's face it, we do not want to be this guy who is getting a call from the landowner and a bill for a dead cow. Not only is it expensive, but you almost certainly will not be invited back to shoot and hunt on the landowners property.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#2]
That is sad. Must have taken a while to die as well. I'm not sure what happened but the farmer might have wanted to see if the bullet was recoverable in case the other party was being "difficult". For the price of a grown cow the grossness and smell might be worth it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of curiosity does anybody care to speculate on the market value of such an animal? I'm not a farmer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Out of curiosity does anybody care to speculate on the market value of such an animal? I'm not a farmer.
View Quote
It depends.  a run of the mill cow 2000.00  a high end special breed, up to $150,000.00.

I have hunted on a ranch that breeds Houston livestock show winning longhorns.  I guarantee you a calf is worth 60k
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The bad news is, that farmer is going to tell his farmer friends what happened, making it that much less likely any of them will be receptive to future inquiries about hog hunting on their land.

The good news is, the coyote hunting in this particular field is about to be red-hot.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

$164. per CWT last time I purchased  This varies from week to week and depending on area, breed, etc. These are livestock auction prices.
View Quote
$1.64 lb ain't bad for auction.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Bob, what's that pouch attached to the side of your NVG carrier?  
Pack Shovel

But what do we need a pack shovel for?  
SSSsssssssshhh.  

JK - Glad the farmer believed you guys.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its the most expensive animal he's got.

In all honesty, that looks like a bull. Bad juju.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bulls don't usually have female genitalia under their tails.

ETA: This is one of my big fears. We have 3 areas that we have cattle and we hunt/shoot on two of them. Our local range shut down and the only places I have to shoot have cows on them. I need to get a berm built so I can shoot safely instead of shooting into the side of a dry creekbed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The bad news is, that farmer is going to tell his farmer friends what happened, making it that much less likely any of them will be receptive to future inquiries about hog hunting on their land.

The good news is, the coyote hunting in this particular field is about to be red-hot.

https://i.imgur.com/pywmDih.png?1

https://i.imgur.com/H6KCZc8.png?1
View Quote
Is that reticle a Ziess Rapid Z 600?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The money on the cow is an issue but sometimes ranchers get "attached" to certain animals as well.

We have a small herd of heifers and a bull, but they are all named and all but one eat out of our hands regularly. Not to sound all toughguy'ish, but if we found a dead cow, the whole crew would arm up and start tracking. There is certain things you don't let lay.

And we are amateur herd keepers who don't relay on them for our sole income. I can imagine how pissed a full time cattle guy would be and how he might pursue the issue.
View Quote
Wait, so you’d all go to jail over a cow?  

Uh-huh.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#16]
NRA members are insured for this type of event.  It is good to let a land owner know that you at least considered the remedy for a mistake before hand, and that you are a responsible hunter. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

/snip/

Irony was not a month later we see a couple of the guys at our gym. They spread the story that we are crazy and don't fudge around out by them. They talked to some people who know us who verify this. For several years later we have not had a trespassing problem.

I realize this is hard for someone to understand if they live in the suburbs where the cops can show up in 3.5 seconds but in rural areas, a lot of shit is handled by the landowners themselves.
View Quote

A buddy of mine and his family own/farm ~2,600 acres.  We've caught poachers, but they usually escape before they can be cornered.

Buddy managed to catch a truck coming out of a field after they'd been spotlighting.  Took pictures of the man and woman in the truck, took pictures of their license plate, called the cops but the let them couple go before they arrived.  His pistol stayed holstered.

Poachers are scumbags and they tend to hang out with other scumbags.  My buddy's poaching problems have been reduced quite a bit.  We figure it was due to the above actions.  Running them off didn't work, but threatening them with legal/other action seemed to do the trick.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Lowdown, stop feeding cattle out of your hand.  It's a real good way to get hurt no matter how tame they are.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's a big read in.....

It doesn't work the same in the country as it might in the suburbs.
If you don't protect your crap you can get stepped on big time.

It's kind of like the time we found the six guys poaching. Assholes even had the nerve to park right in front of some new no trespassing signs I posted. This wasn't even "my" land but some family land. I pulled in, blocked their vehicles, called some family and waited. After they arrived, police were already called but they can take 30 minutes or more. After a little while I tracked the group down not far from the vehicles. Since it was getting near dark and I knew the police were coming, I wanted to give them an easy "out." So I simply yelled out- "To the assholes that are trespassing here, the police have been called, you have about ten minutes to GTFO."

After about 5 minutes two come walking up out of the woods with no visible weapons. BS story, "we lease here"- no you frickin don't. We were armed, NO ONE WAS THREATENED, no stupid shit happened on our end, but we made it abundantly clear it was what it was. I said "get your friends the F*&& out of here also, call them!" Pretty soon two more amble out, they are armed. Typical dumbasses sloppy handling- I yell out "keep your F'in muzzles pointed down, this is not a F'in game." Suddenly it's real to them. I don't know who TF they are so we aren't taking chances.   Finally the last two come out and it's the same sloppy shit. We stand there while they take their sweet ass time coming with duck decoys and other hunting items. I make them all put their rifles inside the truck right off the bat- I don't know them and they are trespassing so I'll be damned if I will take chances. I was very clear that we were trying to get them out of their before the police showed up. They left and two minutes later of course the police showed up. We talked to them, told them exactly what we did and did not do. The deputy smiled and said "we like it when people handle these things themselves, call us if you need us" and drove off.

Irony was not a month later we see a couple of the guys at our gym. They spread the story that we are crazy and don't fudge around out by them. They talked to some people who know us who verify this. For several years later we have not had a trespassing problem.

I realize this is hard for someone to understand if they live in the suburbs where the cops can show up in 3.5 seconds but in rural areas, a lot of shit is handled by the landowners themselves.
View Quote
From prior posts you seem like a real good guy but I’m having a hard time with this. I’ve lived in the city, suburbs, and sticks.

While in the sticks I don’t remember it being a wasteland where the police encourage and allow you to doll out whatever justice you feel necessary.  

Let me be very clear, I’m completely on your side with the story you told. I can’t stand people who think they can do whatever they want and the world revolves around them.

I just have a hard time believing there would be little to no consequences if those guys where shot and the bodies were “disappeared”. Again, not that I would be against that. Lol. I think people who don’t use their signal should have their fingers Brooke and those who hang out in the left hand lane should be rammed off the road.

So again it’s not like I totally approve of your style. I just don’t remember or see the sticks being consequence free killing grounds. I’d move back if it was! LOL.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't say that.  The .gov says you cannot discriminate against that "bull" as long as that is what it identifies as!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top