Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2017 9:03:08 AM EDT
Neighbor and his wife won a hog hunting trip, they bought two of these and since she is now pregnant they transferred the hunt to a family member because of issues she is having. The family member bought one of the scopes but is offering me the other for $150 less than he paid shipped, so for $410.

It's nib, atn xsight 2 hd 3-14.

Is it worth the $$?
Will I need a IR light?
Will it function fine between a 22lr bolt gun and 300blk?
Will it easily hold zero under somewhat heavy use?
Is battery life worth a damn?

I have read up some on them, seen footage on YouTube and some reviews are mixed so I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#1]
If its gen1 then no.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I like mine. I also look at it as a video recording scope that happens to work at night instead of a night vision scope. The scopes are somewhat IR dependent. Image quality is gen2ish but different due to how digital NV works. Mine works out to around 100-200 yards depending on terrain and illumination. The good news is that you don't have to baby it like tube night vision in regards to light exposure, the entry price is low, and it works well as a day scope if you don't mind the weight penalty.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#3]
They are neat little products with some quirks.

It will not be ideal for day shooting at ranges longer than 300 yards due to the decreasing clarity that digital zoom provides.

as for "holding zero" these don't work like a regular prism day optic. Zeroing a reticle is entirely a function of software, assuming the scope was assembled properly and is locked up tight to your rifle (which it should, though some users report having to Loctite some of the mounting screws - I did not experience this minor issue). So, assuming you zero properly using the software, then at any time should your zero "be off" then it's a software glitch. I've not experienced any issues with shifting zero, but if you did, you can simply plug in the zeroing coordinates in the software again and boom you're back to zero all things being equal. Lots of users don't understand how to zero properly.

Battery life depends on your choice of battery and how many of the whizbang features you use. Most users rely on aftermarket rechargeable lithium AAs or external packs. Store bought lithium AA's will get your 3-5 hours of continuous use in general. Longer run time needs aftermarket batteries.

Scope comes with an IR illuminator that isn't half bad. You will need it. Good to 200 yards for sure, more with ideal conditions. Aftermarket illuminator a can get you out to 400-500.

The more whizbang features you use the more glitches and issues you might run into. I've never experienced any just using the scope as a day or night scope (i.e. No wifi streaming, no ballistic calculator, no GPS).
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, I will grab it when he gets back in town from work. I have used and owned gen 2 but got a iffy feeling using a digital optic I guess. Looks like it may be perfect for my 22 bolt gun until I get a chance to head back down home to Ms and shoot some hogs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it worth the $?

Just about, especially if you are hunting over bait or from a fixed position at a known target area.  Its not so good for scouting.

Will I need a IR light?
Yes.  I think it comes with one but you will probably want to buy a bigger one.  For about $50 you can get some whoppers on Amazon.

Will it function fine between a 22lr bolt gun and 300blk?
Yes and you can easily swap pre programmed zeros.  But the mount isn't like a super awesome LaRue that will hold 1 MoA zero between moves. Test yours and see.

Will it easily hold zero under somewhat heavy use?
As far as I know, yes.  But I haven't really beat one up myself like I have the thermals.

Is battery life worth a damn?
Kinda, but trust me and buy a rechargeable USB battery pack.  The one ATN sells is huge and it doesn't need to be that big.  Just about any USB battery pack will do the trick.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I need to have another look at y friends X-Sight.  i remember it hard to get a really positive ID of a target at 100 yards in the dark.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Just wanted to drop some photos in the thread. As for power I use Kentli rechargeable lithiums.

ADM 170 QD
Attachment Attached File

This is my setup with batteries, charger, IR illuminator, and sunshade with pinhole for day use. The pinhole and sunshade help sharpen focus during the day by restricting the light coming into the camera sensor.Attachment Attached File

Typical full moon or urban without IR.
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top