Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2017 1:31:03 PM EDT

I hate bugs.

It actually worked very well. Now we just need something for the snakes, spiders, roaches, and gators... would really be interested in knowing what you guys use to avoid the critters late at night. Whenever I run to a shooting position and hit the prone I am always thinking two things: I hope this isn't a pile of fire ants, and if it is my firearms are useless against them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You know I had a similar question I haven’t bothered to google.

I wonder if bugs can see IR light. When I’m at my spot and I’m setting up I have all my lights on and the bugs are outrageous. But then I go dark and sometimes use just IR light and most of the bugs disperse but some still hang around

Is it just me or my IR light?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Whether insects are attracted to IR light is something I do not know.
But I DO know that reading you  the T-Shirt got coffee in my nose.
Good one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#3]
If your IR is around 850nm I'm fairly sure it can be seen by most everything out there. At a higher 940nm I'm not so sure..............
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/OVdMOTT.jpg

I hate bugs.

It actually worked very well. Now we just need something for the snakes, spiders, roaches, and gators... would really be interested in knowing what you guys use to avoid the critters late at night. Whenever I run to a shooting position and hit the prone I am always thinking two things: I hope this isn't a pile of fire ants, and if it is my firearms are useless against them.
View Quote

There's this other stuff they make in a can that you can spray on your skin to keep the bugs away.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm more concerned about snakes.  Killed 3 today with the tractor while disking plots.  All were cotton mouths.  Killed one yesterday.  Fellow camp member killed a 6' rattlesnake yesterday as well. I  hunt in the swamp on the MS River.  Rattlesnakes are rare down there.  Also heard 4 children in Alabama were bitten by cottonmouths last week. I've been out about 7 or 8 times this summer at night with my PVS 14 stalking hogs and never saw a snake until one night i got back to the truck and when i was driving off a cottonmouthd was laying in the rd. Made me think. Close up periferal vision with the nv isn't too good.  Glad i haven't stepped on a snake. May not go back out till it cools off.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:45:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I hate snakes. I don’t care what scientist say will happen if something goes extinct. What, there gonna be more hamsters and mice running around fields?  Bfd

Down with snakes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:02:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Treat your clothing with Permethrin.

Get a 10% solution (check Amazon or local COOP) and make sure there's no other active ingredients in the mix (very important! some can be highly carcinogenic).
Then dilute it 20 to 1 with water (making a .05% solution).

Dunk your outdoor clothes in this solution and then let them dry (I like to wring them out first to recover as much solution as possible, so I can treat many sets of clothing) Also, dunking is *the* way to do it - this year we tried spraying the solution on, and it didn't work as well.

Once dry I like to then run them through the wash to get any excess off. There will be an odor from the clothes for about a week, then it should fade. Clothes MAY change color very slightly.  

Your clothes are now proof against spiders, ticks, skeeters, etc - good for one year or 50 washings, whichever comes first. And this works REALLY, REALLY well.

The military uses Permethrin (or comparable substance) to treat their clothing. This combined with DEET on skin gives them 99.9% reduction in insect bites, as demonstrated in studies.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#8]
This is very good advice.  I spent a lot of time in woods and jungles with ticks, chiggers, spiders, skeeters, snakes, etc.  We would apply GI bug juice next to skin at ankles, waist, wrists, neck, and face (below eye line).  Then jocked up and sprayed Deep Woods Off overall.  This would last approx. 24 hrs.  Usually kept you from getting too bit up.  That "Skin So Soft" stuff actually works pretty good too.  Also helps to keep everything rolled downed and covered, as much as possible.  And high top boots not only provide support but keep lots of shit, including bugs away from your feet, not to mention a good leather/nylon guard against snake bike.  In real heavy snake areas, we used the old GI gaitors.  The old canvas gaitors are best, but the heavier nylon ones will work as well.  Keep Benedryl handy to relieve itch and swelling.  In heavy tick-infested areas, do a buddy check on each other every day.  If you are in leech-infested areas, and doing a lot of stream-crossings, x-large panty hose work well.  Keeps the critters away from your Johnson.

To the OP, I don't know if it's just light bugs are attracted to.  I think they are heat-seekers as well.  Or just opportunists.  If you are crawling through heavy bush, you will probably get hit harder than walking just inside a light treeline.  If you are sweating more, you will attract more shit.  If you are sitting in place, you will attract more shit.  Lots of variables.  

On snakes, as well as other critters, I have found that they usually get out of your way, long before you notice anything around.  You can occasionally surprise them or may be just unlucky, but usually they will not stalk you down.  Unless you're in a horror movie.  They are trying to get away from you unless cornered.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Was told in a science class that many mosquitos are drawn to carbon dioxide (because that is where you find an animal and and animal is where you find blood)

Was also told in a science class that the carbon dioxide from a light breath will send away most bee's because they don't want to be ingested by animals...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top